Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QB dept. : jets' situation....worst in the nfl ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    jets have zero character from the owner to the coach-tebow(who has character) might not have the skill set to play for this team or in the eyes of some any team so just let the guy go now-nobody is trading for him and why have this distraction for a minute longer
    tim will not be on our " opening day roster " ~ ~

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    C-Mart questions Sanchez ; trade rumors fly

A little over a year ago, Mark Sanchez received a lucrative contract extension. Now he's the subject of trade rumors. His name has been mentioned in the Darrelle Revis talks with the Bucs, ProFootballTalk reported Friday.

Earlier Friday, one of the most respected voices in Jets history -- Curtis Martin -- questioned whether Sanchez can lead the Jets back to the playoffs. Tough day for Sanchez."I'm just going to be frank: Mark has to play better," Martin told ESPNNewYork.com after taping a "CenterStage" interview in Manhattan for the YES Network. "If he doesn't play better, I think it will be very, very difficult for them to have a good year."

The Hall-of-Fame running back never speaks ill of his former team,but he was noticeably lukewarm when asked about Sanchez, who struggled last season. Martin actually said he wanted to see Tim Tebow get more playing time last season. Asked if Sanchez can play better, Martin paused a moment."To be honest with you, I don't know," he said. "I mean, it's been three or four years and it hasn't happened yet. He did well his first two years; they went to the AFC Championship Game. He did what was necessary, but I think it's a different team and a different time, so I think his level of play has to go to another level."Do I think he has the God-given ability? Yes. I think putting it together and taking it to the field, that's what is necessary right now."

The Jets, too, have serious questions about Sanchez, and they'd probably jump at the opportunity to trade his $8.25 million guaranteed salary to another team. But a trade is unlikely to happen.

The Bucs have concerns about their own starter, Josh Freeman, and they've stated publicly their desire to add competition, but it's hard to imagine them taking on Sanchez's $8.25 million. Are they that desperate to acquire Revis? Of course, the Bucs could try to renegotiate Sanchez's contract as a precursor to a trade, but there apparently haven't been any talks of that nature.

If the Jets were to trade Sanchez, they'd probably pick a quarterback in the first or second round of the draft. They came away impressed with West Virginia's Geno Smith after his recent pro day, and they also like Syracuse's Ryan Nassib. Whether the Jets are convinced Smith and/or Nassib is good enough to be the new "franchise" quarterback is unknown.

Interesting back story to Sanchez and Freeman, both of whom were first-round picks in 2009 : The Jets' scouts graded Freeman higher than Sanchez, but the organization changed its mind after a private workout with Sanchez. The Jets traded up and picked Sanchez fifth overall. The Bucs preferred Sanchez over Freeman, according to a source, but ended up taking Freemen 17th overall.

By the way, the Martin "CenterStage" interview will premiere in June. It'll be a good watch.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ade-rumors-fly

Hall Of Fame
    Why the New York Jets haven't cut Tim Tebow

Since the New York Jets don't appear to have Tim Tebow in their plans this year, it's been puzzling why they haven't cut him before their offseason workout program begins Monday.

It turns out there's a $1.53 million reason.

According to the Denver Post, the Denver Broncos paid Tebow a $1.53 million advance on his 2013 salary before they traded him to the Jets last year. The Jets agreed to pay the Broncos back this year.If the Jets cut Tebow they will owe the Broncos the money. They prefer to trade him so his new team would have to pay the Broncos.

The Jets, though, haven't been able to find a team willing to trade for him. Still, the Jets apparently keep hoping a team will want to trade him eventually and haven't cut him. So he will report for the start of the workout program Monday even though the Jets don't appear to want him.

And Tebow seems to be in a football limbo.

> http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...m_content=ESPN

Hall Of Fame
    Updating AFC East QB rankings

There has been a lot of quarterback turnover this offseason in the NFL. In the AFC East, Ryan Fitzpatrick flopped again for the Buffalo Bills in 2012 and was released. The Bills in turn signed veteran Kevin Kolb in free agency to compete with Tarvaris Jackson. The New York Jets also signed David Garrard to compete with the embattled Mark Sanchez.

With that said, this is a good time to update quarterback rankings in the AFC East :

~ ~ 5. Mark Sanchez, New York Jets

Analysis : Sanchez has had better days. Three years ago he led the Jets to back-to-back AFC title games. But since then, Sanchez has been on the decline and it’s questionable if he can recover -- at least in a Jets uniform. Sanchez met with the New York media for the first time Monday and sounds excited for the opportunity to start. Sanchez can be serviceable if everything around him is going well, but he cannot lift a team on his own. The Jets found that out the hard way the past two years.

I’m sure there will be plenty of debate. We opened the forum on Twitter earlier this week and got plenty of responses. Other quarterbacks who didn't make the list are Ryan Mallett of the Patriots, Jackson, and Tim Tebow of the Jets.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...st-qb-rankings

Hall Of Fame
    Forget about the quarterback competition. Maybe there should be a quarterback-instructor competition ?

One week after Mark Sanchez's recently-hired coach, former NFL QB Jeff Garcia, unloaded on Tim Tebow, Tebow's instructor responded Wednesday by taking shots at Sanchez and the Jets.

The Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez relationship could suffer after what's happened in recent days. Hoo, boy.

Steve Clarkson, a private coach who has worked with many NFL quarterbacks, conducted a conference call with reporters. He presented a conspiracy theory, saying the Broncos traded Tebow to the Jets -- not his hometown Jaguars -- because they knew he'd fail in New York."I think he was purposefully sent to New York," said Clarkson, via the Newark Star-Ledger. "From the standpoint: you send him to a situation where you have instability with your coach -- you don't know if he's coming or going. You have a fragile-minded Mark Sanchez at quarterback. You stick Tim Tebow in there and you kill two birds with one stone. So if you're Denver, you've got to be thinking, 'We send him to New York, we basically kill an opponent and, at the same time, Tim Tebow doesn't come back to bite us in the proverbial butt, if you will, because he's not going to make it out of there.'

"You send him to Jacksonville, all of a sudden he's got that fanbase behind him and all of a sudden he's doing what he's done all his life, that's win games. That would put a lot of ill-will towards your organization. There's a lot of politics that go on with it. I think Timmy was just unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Only one problem with Clarkson's take : It's revisionist history. As Broncos VP John Elway has explained many times, Tebow was given the choice between the Jets and the Jaguars.Clarkson accused the Jets of undermining Tebow by now allowing him to master the entire offense."I think in Tim's case, they walked him into New York and said, 'We've got four plays for you. You execute these four plays and that's all you're going to get,'" Clarkson said. "Well, when you walk on the field and that's all you practice, and you don't get any meaningful reps and you walk into a game and basically the defense is telling your offensive line basically where the ball is going to go, it's pretty depressing and it doesn't give you much room for hope. I would hope whoever, wherever he ends up that they give him an opportunity, and I think if they do they'll be pleasantly surprised. I think the guy still can play."

Of course he does.

Tebow and Clarkson trained for three days last month in Arizona. Tebow dropped 12 pounds, according to Clarkson. He reported last year at 250, per the Jets' request, insisting it wouldn't slow him down. Well, it did.Clarkson also said he worked on Tebow's throwing mechanics and footwork. He's confident Tebow is fixed. Oh, really ? Garcia, hired by Sanchez to teach him the West Coast offense, made national headlines last week with sharp criticism of Tebow. He said, "Having Tebow there doesn't bring anything positive. It just brings distraction. For Mark, the main competition is going to be David Garrard and Greg McElroy."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...fragile-minded

Hall Of Fame
    Sources : Jets may cut Mark Sanchez

With the second-round selection of Geno Smith, the New York Jets now have a surplus of quarterbacks, leading some sources familiar with the situation to say the team will consider releasing quarterback Mark Sanchez.Sanchez counts $12.85 million against the salary cap. If the Jets cut him as a June 1 designation, which they can do at any time, the Jets would take a $12.35 million cap hit this year and $4.8 million next year.There is no offset clause in the contract, meaning they're on the hook for $8.25 million whether he plays for them or not.

Clearly there is not enough room for all quarterbacks.

Newly signed free-agent quarterback David Garrard has impressed the organization with his play and personality, and he is considered an ideal mentor for a young quarterback like Smith.There also has been a slight change in the thought process surrounding Tim Tebow, who showed up to his team's training facility 15 pounds lighter. Tebow has won some support within the organization, sources familiar with the situation said.Tebow appears lighter, faster and has worked to improve his throwing motion, which the Jets have noticed. The longer he is in the building, the more he wins support, one source said.

This could leave Sanchez as the odd man out. It's not the first time the Jets have considered this move, sources said.

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ording-sources

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ It'll be fascinating to see how Idzik & Co. handle this situation. This could be a mess if not handled properly. A Sanchez-Smith dynamic could be awkward and tense. Smith isn't ready to take over a team in Week 1, but it would be distraction to keep Sanchez around. Leave it to the Jets to keep the circus in town. Oh, and what becomes of Tim Tebow ?

rest of above article :
    > http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-qb-geno-smith

Hall Of Fame
    Why wait, Jets ? Play Geno Smith now

Don't waste any time, New York Jets.

Start the Geno Smith era with Gang Green right now.

Do not wait until 2014. Do not even wait until Week 8 of the 2013 regular season. For the long-term betterment of the Jets organization, Smith should be the starter in Week 1 and New York should never look back.

Why wait ?

What is the point in the Jets going another year with embattled quarterback Mark Sanchez? He represents New York's ugly past and is on borrowed time. The only reason he's on the roster in the first place is his guaranteed $8.25 million salary this season. New York should make Sanchez an expensive backup and keep it moving. Releasing Sanchez is another option, although chances are slim because it would cost the Jets a $12.35 million cap hit this year and a $4.8 million cap hit next year.But starting Sanchez should be out of the question. We already know where the Sanchez train is going -- and it’s not anywhere good. It would be bad for the Jets, bad for the fans and even bad for Sanchez, who clearly is regressing and needs a fresh start in 2014. One bad game with the Jets and New York fans will be ready to turn on Sanchez, and the entire team, again. Remember "Tebow-mania" last year? Think "Geno-mania" if New York doesn't learn from this mistake. The young, rebuilding Jets would be doing themselves a favor to avoid this scenario.

Smith represents a much brighter future and a new era in New York. He is the first quarterback pick for first-year general manager John Idzik. The Jets showed this offseason they are forward-thinking and not dwelling on the past. Look no further than New York's shrewd move to trade star cornerback Darrelle Revis -- its most talented player -- and draft Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner. If the Jets can quickly move on from “Revis Island,” they certainly can move on from “The Sanchize.”The Jets are not going to the playoffs, with or without Sanchez under center. Their biggest goal for 2013 should be developing their young quarterback for the future. That would be taking a page out of the Miami Dolphins’ playbook of last season with Ryan Tannehill. A year later, Miami is the biggest threat to the New England Patriots atop the AFC East. The Jets can do the same if they play their cards right and properly develop Smith, who wants to play immediately.“I love to compete,” Smith said on a conference call with the New York media. “Mark is a guy who I watched at USC, watched him in the NFL, and I think highly of him. … [But] I’m coming in as a rookie and I’m going to compete and I’m also going to accept my role, whatever it is.”

Sanchez has received more chances than any quarterback in the past four years. Sanchez was expected to compete with 35-year-old David Garrard, who hasn’t thrown a regular-season pass in two years. The Jets, for the fifth consecutive season, were virtually handing Sanchez the job again. But things changed when New York turned in its card Friday with the 39th overall pick. Smith essentially fell into the Jets’ lap in the second round after New York reportedly considered him with the No. 13 pick in the first round. The Jets also tried to trade up to start the second round but couldn't. Everything worked out for the best.Smith was the second quarterback taken, but nearly everyone -- sorry, Buffalo and EJ Manuel -- rated him as the best quarterback in this draft. Smith certainly has the fewest flaws and appears NFL-ready. It also doesn’t hurt that Smith is coming to New York with a chip on his shoulder after being passed over by every team with a first-round pick. Six more passed on Smith again in the second round before the Jets ended his rough draft outing.

There are some questions with Smith that the Jets must work through. For example, he might have some composure and maturity issues, which he showed during the draft by storming out of the green room Thursday after being bypassed in the first round, then guaranteeing that the Jets will make the playoffs Friday during an interview with the NFL Network. But Smith is young, and, with the proper guidance, he can be taught how to handle things better at the next level.But what can't be taught is the physical tools and natural ability Smith brings to the table. Smith has a good arm, good mobility, is very competitive and fits in new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast scheme. That should be enough for the Jets to turn the page immediately.“I’m excited to be a Jet,” Smith said. “My time has come now, so I’m going to accept it.”

Sanchez had his turn in New York, and it's time to move on. Smith’s time has just begun -- and the sooner the Jets hand him the football, the better it will be for the entire organization.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...geno-smith-now