Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets will go offense with their first pick in draft!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets will go offense with their first pick in draft!

What wins in todays NFL? Offense wins. What area did the Jets struggle mightily last season? Offense! Todays NFL is geared towards the offense. Do the Jets need playmakers? Yes - badly! Do the Jets have a good defensive coordinator that can take a defense with average talent and make them better? Yes we have Rex. The Jets will keep this quiet but I can almost guarantee that they will pick Tavon Austin with their 9th pick. It simply makes too much sense. They will keep looking at defensive players but they gonna go offense. If Austin is gone they will go with that other receiver Patterson I believe. Jets need offense folks. Austin would make this Jet offense instantaneously more dangerous. I think its a no brainer. Just hope he's there at #9.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we take Austin at #9 and then you're gonna play OLB for us?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the jets go offense at 9 it's either geno smith or warmack. Nobody else

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not generally "that guy", but is it that hard to post draft topics in the draft board.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we must draft the best pass rusher available at 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Jets!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have a 50% chance of being right (yes I'm not including ST/K/P)...

They could go D with the 1st round and O the rest of the draft...Who knows...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy, another "if I wish it to be so, it must be true" thread. Both of these are doubtful picks at #9, particularly given the fact that the Jets have seen good success with Kerley's development in the slot and just drafted Hill in the second last year AND are desperate for a pass rusher. But hey, who knows. If it was me running the Jets, I'd go OLB or OL. Even Star would be a worthwhile pick. Can't see going WR that high in this draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With as many holes as we have, you take the best player available. Whether that is O or D shouldn't matter.

Everyone crows about offense being all that matters - tell that to New Orleans. All the O you need but nothing on D at all. Yes, our O is further behind, but our D needs a lot of new talent too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the rookie salary cap, I think the rules have changed regarding the draft,. In years past, it was tough to gamble in the 1st round because you owed these guys so much money. So for exaample, in the past, it would be tough for the Jets to take an offensive skill position player at 9 because the salary you would pay the guy would not justify the reach.

Now, you can take a guy like austin at 9 because he cannot make a ton of money because of the salary cap.

My dream scenario is trade revis to the bucs and take warmack at 9 and austin at 13.

But if they take austin at 9, i will not be upset.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Austin at 13 after Revis trade on Draft Day. Mingo at 9.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care anymore. As long as our top pick turns into a real starter. And by real starter I mean that he could start for a decent NFL team.

Actually we probably need out top 3 picks to start for us. But the first rounder needs to be a good player. Another bust and it will really hamper the rebuild or retool (whatever you guys like to call it).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had my choice I would go OLB at number 9. But I wouldn't be opposed to taking a OL like Warmack.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft ansah jordan or mingo at 9

Trade revis for the #13 and a 2 next year that can become a 1.

Trade back from #13 to #20ish and draft eifert. Pick up a #3 as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post

That would be amazing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That would be amazing.
    Yea I love eifert....I still rather keep revis at the right price but I'm not sure its going to happen. Then we can go guard in round 2 safety rb or wr in round 3

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    So we take Austin at #9 and then you're gonna play OLB for us?
    Austin is McCluster pt 2. He is going to SUCK in NFL.. Sorry!!! and using ur 1st rd pic on a olb isn't smart. Tons of lb's in rds 2-whatever to choose frm. Get a Playmaker bc there are more lb's then playmakers in this draft..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post

I like your logic and have proposed the same thing...This way you in essence get an additional 1 or 2 picks for Revis..Obviously you can continue to trade back, if desired and able, to acquire more picks depending who you are targeting...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Team needs a pass rusher real bad!Only way they go O is if Geno is available and that ain't happening!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I like your logic and have proposed the same thing...This way you in essence get an additional 1 or 2 picks for Revis..Obviously you can continue to trade back, if desired and able, to acquire more picks depending who you are targeting...

Mangini did it a few yrs ago with the Sanchez trade..He traded back a couple of times and eventually picked C Alex Mack while acquiring additional 2/3s..
    Absolutely especially with this draft being more deep than top heavy....problem will be finding someone to trade with

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't care anymore. As long as our top pick turns into a real starter. And by real starter I mean that he could start for a decent NFL team.

Actually we probably need out top 3 picks to start for us. But the first rounder needs to be a good player. Another bust and it will really hamper the rebuild or retool (whatever you guys like to call it).
    +1. Quality starters is key - if we can come away with a starter from each of the first three rounds we'll be doing well. Any role players / strong backups after that would be gravy.

Most open spots for starters IMHO are G, OLB and S. I wouldn't be surprised if those are our first three picks.