Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Story: Jets lose another player as Slauson signs with Bears

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    via Chicago sun-times:

OL Slauson sees future with Bears
    Matt Slauson doesn’t know what position he’ll play, and he only knows two people in the Bears’ organization.

But the veteran guard signed a one-year deal with the team because he felt wanted.

“They didn’t look at me as just a number. That was really important to me, that I would be a valued member of the organization,” Slauson told the Sun-Times.

A sixth-round pick of the New York Jets, Slauson started 48 games, but the team offered him just a one-year deal for the minimum salary.

The Bears didn’t offer a whole lot more, but they apparently made it clear that they’re open to a future beyond the 2013 season.

“I just think I have a better chance with the Bears to set me and my family up for more of a longterm thing,” he said. “I don’t know if the Jets were serious about a longterm deal.”

There were several other factors working in the Bears’ favor. Slauson’s wife, Cami, is from the north suburbs, and Slauson became a Bears fan at the University of Nebraska.

Slauson, 27, was excited after having conversations with offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer and quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh, who had served in the same capacity with the Jets.

“When [Cavanaugh] called, it was great because I feel the enthusiasm in his voice,” Slauson said. “When he was explaining everything, it just sounded like a great opportunity. And I got along with him really well.”

Slauson started at left guard for the Jets, but he played right guard during his senior year at Nebraska.

“I have a lot of experience at both. If they put me on the right side, it’ll take me a couple of practices to get that comfort level back,” he said. “But I’ll play wherever they want me to.”

Slauson has been a solid pro, but he’s known for his blind-side block on Brian Cushing in an October 2012 game that ended the Houston Texans linebacker’s season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

“I think about it all the time. It was just unfortunate the way it happened, Brian getting hurt,” Slauson said. “I was just trying to do whatever I could to win. And unfortunately, it worked out very badly.”

The Bears also re-signed veteran quarterback Josh McCown to a one-year deal.

Asked if he will back up Jay Cutler, McCown said, “We’ll see, but that’s my understanding.”

Cutler has been a big advocate of McCown, saying in December, “If I’m here, I want him here. That’s how I feel about it.”

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is going to be a long season. The Jets have to take their medicine and hope for the best. The outcome for this season should enable the Jets to have some solid draft picks for the future. We have to see how the new GM selects his draft choices.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    After signing Slauson, they still do, LOL. A quality backup though.
    Our fan base is so ridiculous, you do know we cant have hall of famers at every position right?

Slauson was a very valuable player (not in the way Revis is valuable but since there is this whole salary cap thing, each player has a price per their ability) - above average play for below average price.

IMO a big loss as he signed a 1 year deal and now forces our hand to draft a LG at some point either at the expense of a passrusher (warlock/cooper) or with the hope that the player can make it in the NFL (later round pick)

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised we let him walk, much like Keller and Landry, but... well... we better be replacing these guys, or we will not be competing for a playoff spot for a year or two or three. Granted, the team needed tweaks and player movement, but this is getting a little nerve racking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    I was surprised we let him walk, much like Keller and Landry, but... well... we better be replacing these guys, or we will not be competing for a playoff spot for a year or two or three. Granted, the team needed tweaks and player movement, but this is getting a little nerve racking.
    I don't see a problem here. Slauson is easilly replaceable with someone like willie Colon who's more athletic even at his age compared to Slauson. All we have to do is basically replace Moore , a 33 yr old OG who was slowing down. In the draft we will have the option to pick either the great Warmack or the even more athletic and just as respected Jonathon Cooper.

The way i see it, the OL might even be improved.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Slauson became a Bears fan at the University of Nebraska.
    Then, what team did he grow up rooting for????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Our fan base is so ridiculous, you do know we cant have hall of famers at every position right?

Slauson was a very valuable player (not in the way Revis is valuable but since there is this whole salary cap thing, each player has a price per their ability) - above average play for below average price.

IMO a big loss as he signed a 1 year deal and now forces our hand to draft a LG at some point either at the expense of a passrusher (warlock/cooper) or with the hope that the player can make it in the NFL (later round pick)
    I would have liked the Jets to have kept Slauson, he was very cost-effective and wasn't a glaring weakness out there. But the Jets already screwed him over before making him accept the paycut then split reps with Vlad. Wish him the best in securing his family's future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimefan47 View Post
    This is going to be a long season. The Jets have to take their medicine and hope for the best. The outcome for this season should enable the Jets to have some solid draft picks for the future. We have to see how the new GM selects his draft choices.
    We lost a mediocre Guard WAAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides Landry and Moore (who has already been replaced) we haven't lost any effective players this off-season. Pace, Scott, Smith, and even Pouha all sucked last season and were getting old and Shonn Greene is overrated as sh_t and Goodson is going to be an upgrade.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @RavensInsider: Matt Slauson Bears deal: one year, $815,000; $100,000 bonus, $715,000 base salary, $200,000 of base fully guaranteed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @RavensInsider: Matt Slauson Bears deal: one year, $815,000; $100,000 bonus, $715,000 base salary, $200,000 of base fully guaranteed.
    Wow can't believe that's all he got. Can't believe we couldn't afford to pay that. So much for a comp pick. A rookie is going to cost us more than that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I didn't think he would sign until after the draft. Hardly a surprise that he isn't a Jet anymore.

Vlad will be a starter in 2013.
    So, you still think Vlad will be a starter in 2013? What a joke.

The Jets have hated this guy since they put him on the field. He stinks. They were never going to allow him to get the QB killed.