Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Per Schefter: Dallas Cowboys & Tony Romo agree to monster extension

I guess Jerry Jones is a fan of mediocrity.

I apologize if this was posted somewhere in this thread but after watching the Romo highlights over and over again...how great would it be to have a WR of Dez Bryants ability on our roster?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    What did you guys think the Cowboys were going to do? Draft a rookie and start him next year? Say what you want about Romo, but he is far and away the best option for Dallas in the next 3-4 years. If people are paying attention this year they will see that QBs are the ONLY position that is getting paid anymore. Teams are realizing that spending more than 10 million a year on a player that ISNT a QB is bad business. There a few exceptions with a couple elite WRs and pass rushers, but the rest of the league is seeing a huge devaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Standard logic is he gets what is left on his deal 100% guaranteed plus a signing bonus on his extension with roster bonus. This was 25 mil signing bonus plus 17 mil in what is due this year. So say 13 mil in new roster bonus. I assumed Romo would want more then what Vick got. There was something in his deal said he cant be franchised. This was a stupid signing they should have traded him.

Here is the base breakdown
    3/29/2013: Signed a seven-year, $119.5 million contract. The deal contains $55 million guaranteed, including a $25 million signing bonus and Romo's first-year base salary. 2013: $1.5 million, 2014: $13.5 million, 2015: $17 million, 2016: $8.5 million, 2017: $14 million, 2018: $19.5 million, 2019: $20.5 million, 2020: Free Agent

He never sees those last 2 years but your still talking he just made 90 mil easy.
    Based on this, it's really not that bad..

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, but the BIG question is:

How much did they pay Tanny for helping set the terms of this deal?

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    I don't dispute that ... I'm saying what better alternative do they have?

The answer is none

We are worse at qb ... If Dallas lets him go they will sink down to our level

Ljr
    If Romo had Schilens, Gates and Cumby instead of Austin, Bryant and Witten he would have self-destructed. Amazing how in the name of hating Mark Sanchez for 1 bad season in which he had no one to throw to every NFL QB is insanely overrated and considered the ideal of perfection on this site.

Sanchez's 4 playoff wins are the result of his team? Have you guys seen some of the stacked rosters Tony Homo tanked with in Dallas?

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If Romo had Schilens, Gates and Cumby instead of Austin, Bryant and Witten he would have self-destructed. Amazing how in the name of hating Mark Sanchez for 1 bad season in which he had no one to throw to every NFL QB is insanely overrated and considered the ideal of perfection on this site.

Sanchez's 4 playoff wins are the result of his team? Have you guys seen some of the stacked rosters Tony Homo tanked with in Dallas?
    You are one delusional human being. Mark Sanchez is one of the all time worst QB's in the history of the NFL. Why dont you talk about Sanchez advantages that Romo has never had? Has Romo had a top 5 running game and top 5 defense that Sanchez was given to support his middling play? If Sanchez was given the defense that Romo had to support him Sanchez would have been benched after his second year and would be entrenched as a second or third string loser QB that we all know now he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    You are one delusional human being. Mark Sanchez is one of the all time worst QB's in the history of the NFL. Why dont you talk about Sanchez advantages that Romo has never had? Has Romo had a top 5 running game and top 5 defense that Sanchez was given to support his middling play? If Sanchez was given the defense that Romo had to support him Sanchez would have been benched after his second year and would be entrenched as a second or third string loser QB that we all know now he is.
    One year ago I said we should cut Sanchez and use the cap room to sign Mario Williams I got killed for saying that. "He just drew 26 tds wut da hell" Now 1 year later I'm the only guy left on this site who defends Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Based on this, it's really not that bad..
    Money wise no not really. Not much more then what Vick got a few years back only your stuck with him at least 4 years. Issue here is he is 33 and Dallas is in no condition to make a SB run anytime soon. They will be in the same cap situation next year and still not have enough around him to win. Had they traded him and gotten 1 st your talking a 2 year rebuild easy and they'd set themselves up nicely cap wise for at least 5 years. Dallas will now need to beef up that line and fill some pretty big wholes on a new D all threw the draft. Not an easy thing to do. They need to hit on a lot of picks to even be a PO team.

All League
    Romo should wear a ski mask when he signs that contract.

Jerry Jones = Dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Here is the base breakdown
    3/29/2013: Signed a seven-year, $119.5 million contract. The deal contains $55 million guaranteed, including a $25 million signing bonus and Romo's first-year base salary. 2013: $1.5 million, 2014: $13.5 million, 2015: $17 million, 2016: $8.5 million, 2017: $14 million, 2018: $19.5 million, 2019: $20.5 million, 2020: Free Agent

He never sees those last 2 years but your still talking he just made 90 mil easy.
    It's interesting that his cap hit will be quite large in 2014 and 2015. Ihave to assume they restructure after 1 or 2 years

Romo Cap hit by year
    2013: $11.8M
    2014: $21.8M (Cap Cost if Cut $28.2M)
    2015: $25.3M (Cap Cost if Cut $19.9M)
    2016: $15.1M (Cap Cost if Cut $11.6M)
    2017: $19.0M (Cap Cost if Cut $5M)

If Romo plays at a 2009/2011 level then, then the Cowboys will restructure another long term deal in a few years. But if Romo plays like he did last season for the next two years, I'm curious how they get out from under that contract.

Romo's critics are completely justified for ripping him, but all it takes is one. I remember Peyton Manning being a "stats guy who choked when the games counted" also...until the Colts finally won a SB.

IF Romo puts it together and the Cowboys win a SB in the next few years, none of what happened before that will matter. And when you look at his body of work (well, at least regular season work), it's hard to say that he isn't the best option for the Cowboys in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Romo's critics are completely justified for ripping him, but all it takes is one. I remember Peyton Manning being a "stats guy who choked when the games counted" also...until the Colts finally won a SB.

IF Romo puts it together and the Cowboys win a SB in the next few years, none of what happened before that will matter. And when you look at his body of work (well, at least regular season work), it's hard to say that he isn't the best option for the Cowboys in the short term.
    Gimme a break Peyton before 2006 >>>>>>> Tony Romo.

And Romo has had better weapons his entire career. TO, Austin, Bryant, Witten etc. Giants have already won the NFC East next season largely thanks to Romo.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It's interesting that his cap hit will be quite large in 2014 and 2015. Ihave to assume they restructure after 1 or 2 years

Romo Cap hit by year
    2013: $11.8M
    2014: $21.8M (Cap Cost if Cut $28.2M)
    2015: $25.3M (Cap Cost if Cut $19.9M)
    2016: $15.1M (Cap Cost if Cut $11.6M)
    2017: $19.0M (Cap Cost if Cut $5M)

If Romo plays at a 2009/2011 level then, then the Cowboys will restructure another long term deal in a few years. But if Romo plays like he did last season for the next two years, I'm curious how they get out from under that contract.
    The move is a cap-killer for the Cowboys and will in all likelihood mean they will never be able to put a good O-line in front of Romo.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Gimme a break Peyton before 2006 >>>>>>> Tony Romo.

And Romo has had better weapons his entire career. TO, Austin, Bryant, Witten etc. Giants have already won the NFC East next season largely thanks to Romo.
    Delusion here ... Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk (1998)

Etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Delusion here ... Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk (1998)

Etc etc etc
    Faulk was there one season and out and Peyton made Harrison and to a large extent Wayne. Terrell Owens in his prime made JAG QB's look like pro bowlers.

You guys have got to be kidding me.