Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Matt Flynn to the Raiders?

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Matt Flynn to the Raiders?

    Didn't see it posted. Looks like Flynn going to Oakland and Palmer to AZ.

    I guess it's absolutely possible that Geno Smith could fall at least to 8.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesnt change a whole lot really. Flynn is garbage Seattle is just trying to dump him at this point for a 5th rounder from rumors. He just isn't worth the 7 mil he is due. That isn't saying a lot. Palmer is a guy that can maybe groom your next QB. Zona needs to look everywhere for a real option. I doubt he'd beat out Stanton or Hoyer.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Doesnt change a whole lot really. Flynn is garbage Seattle is just trying to dump him at this point for a 5th rounder from rumors. He just isn't worth the 7 mil he is due. That isn't saying a lot. Palmer is a guy that can maybe groom your next QB. Zona needs to look everywhere for a real option. I doubt he'd beat out Stanton or Hoyer.
    I think it does change things. This takes two teams that needed a QB and were reportedly looking at the draft that all of a sudden, will not be looking at QBs at least during the first 3 rounds.

    That leaves Bills, Jags, and Jets. I don't buy Philly's interest yet. So which one of these 3 teams ends up with Smith, Nassib, Barkley, or Manuel?

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's hilarious that people keep sh*tting on any QB that becomes available or any QB that is in the draft. I must have forgotten how good we've had it at the QB position over the past 4 years. I love posters who think that if a guy isn't Andrew Luck or RGIII right now then he's terrible and will never be any good. Lets be honest here, in 2009 and 2010 if we had a healthy Chad Pennington running this team we would have at least 1 Super Bowl by now and he was not elite. He was top 10-15 when he was healthy and you can win with one of those guys. You don't need Peyton Manning to win a Super Bowl and you know how I know that b/c Eli Manning won two of them and I have seen him make some of the worst throws I have ever seen. He's considered elite b/c of his 2 Super Bowls but not by his numbers. 58% comp. 82 rating, those are not elite numbers. So before we sh*t on every QB that becomes available maybe people should step back and realize that 90% of these guys are better then what we have had the past couple of seasons at QB.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think it does change things. This takes two teams that needed a QB and were reportedly looking at the draft that all of a sudden, will not be looking at QBs at least during the first 3 rounds.

    That leaves Bills, Jags, and Jets. I don't buy Philly's interest yet. So which one of these 3 teams ends up with Smith, Nassib, Barkley, or Manuel?
    How? Flynn has played 1 game and Palmer is pretty much done. Neither are even a very good one year answer much less franchise QBs. I'd take Garrard over Fynn or Palmer. lol

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think it does change things. This takes two teams that needed a QB and were reportedly looking at the draft that all of a sudden, will not be looking at QBs at least during the first 3 rounds.

    That leaves Bills, Jags, and Jets. I don't buy Philly's interest yet. So which one of these 3 teams ends up with Smith, Nassib, Barkley, or Manuel?
    The Bills have TJ who is better then both for what it is worth. Your talking patch work low up side BUs here.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    How? Flynn has played 1 game and Palmer is pretty much done. Neither are even a very good one year answer much less franchise QBs. I'd take Garrard over Fynn or Palmer. lol
    How do you know how good Flynn will be? What qualifications do you have to be able to form an intelligent opinion on how good or bad Matt Flynn will be as a QB? You're right he only played 1 game, so you must have some inside information from practice or worked him out personally. And if not please elaborate on how after evaluating the 1 game he started in his career, where he threw for 480 yards, completed 71% of his passes and threw 6 tds all against a 10 win playoff team and without Greg Jennings, that you came to the conclusion that he's terrible. Thanks and I'll be waiting for your response.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Didn't see it posted. Looks like Flynn going to Oakland and Palmer to AZ.

    I guess it's absolutely possible that Geno Smith could fall at least to 8.
    Flynn is garbage and would be a big downgrade to C Palmer. Flynn won't even beat out T Pryor for the job. Raiders can't trade C Palmer to the Cardinals if he doesn't want to go there(reports are he rather be cut and sign as backup to 49ers. C Palmer it isn't about the money( he has invested very wisely ) and It's all about being part of a championship.(even if he just
    the backup QB)

    Yes he under contract and would have to accept a trade to Cardinals providing they don't need him to restructure to fit him under their salary cap. If they can fit him in than he has little choice but accept the trade or retire.
    If the Cardinals do need him to restructure his contract than he doesn't have to play ball.( can force the raiders to cut him)

    If this Flynn trade goes down and T Pryor can't make the throws this year that he had trouble last year making. Than the Raiders are almost guaranteed to have the first pick in the draft in 2014.
    Only thing that can save this mess for the Raiders is if T Pryor can now make those throws he had trouble last year.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    How do you know how good Flynn will be? What qualifications do you have to be able to form an intelligent opinion on how good or bad Matt Flynn will be as a QB? You're right he only played 1 game, so you must have some inside information from practice or worked him out personally. And if not please elaborate on how after evaluating the 1 game he started in his career, where he threw for 480 yards, completed 71% of his passes and threw 6 tds all against a 10 win playoff team and without Greg Jennings, that you came to the conclusion that he's terrible. Thanks and I'll be waiting for your response.
    Did you watch him at all last year in pre season? He didn't look better then TJ and lost HIS job to a rookie that no one even had competing for the job. Yeah he is going to be great in his now what year in the NFL?

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Did you watch him at all last year in pre season? He didn't look better then TJ and lost HIS job to a rookie that no one even had competing for the job. Yeah he is going to be great in his now what year in the NFL?
    I agree with your premise that M flynn sucks but how you arrived at your conclusion isn't that bright. (preseason stats are you kidding me)

    Check out Cam Newton preseason stats his rookie year. http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/8/9/32...e-season-games

    JMo Dreamers I think a lot of times your just trying to get attention with some of the wacky stuff you say. (i hope that is what your doing and not being serious)

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    My point is that if the Raiders are trading for Flynn, even if it's for a 5th rounder, they are not using their first rounder on Geno Smith. They will go into the season with Pryor and Flynn.

    Same with AZ. If they get Palmer, Stanton is obviously gonna be pissed because Palmer is the starter. They too will not be drafting a 3rd string QB in the first two rounds.

    Say whatever you want, if we go into this season with Sanchez/Garrard/Tebow/McElroy, this season will be worse than 2005. I'm not saying whoever we draft could change that, but at least we would have an option that we DON'T already know is garbage. I'm not even convinced Garrard will be healthy enough to make the team let alone beat out the worst starting QB in the league.

    My thinking is this, if we are going to run the WCO long term, then we need to come out of this draft with either Smith, Nassib, or Barkley. Bills could take Geno at 8, Jax could take Nassib at 33. That leaves us Barkley at 39.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I agree with your premise that M flynn sucks but how you arrived at your conclusion isn't that bright. (preseason stats are you kidding me)

    Check out Cam Newton preseason stats his rookie year. http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/8/9/32...e-season-games

    JMo Dreamers I think a lot of times your just trying to get attention with some of the wacky stuff you say. (i hope that is what your doing and not being serious)
    It is not even the stats he didn't look good and is in his 5th year. Pre or not that was his job and he lost it. I wouldn't call it wacky. The guy has played 1 game in the NFL and people are pushing him like his is a proven starter. I dont get it is all. The only thing he has proved in his career was he was better then Brian Brohm.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I think it's hilarious that people keep sh*tting on any QB that becomes available or any QB that is in the draft. I must have forgotten how good we've had it at the QB position over the past 4 years.
    There's a reason why Matt Flynn, Alex Smith and Matt Moore are all available. Flynn and Smith are overrated JAG's with bloated contracts that lost their jobs to less experienced, better QB's. Moore is just plain JAG but somehow Jets fans have it ingrained into their head he's a good player because he always played well against us. Ok.

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    My point is that if the Raiders are trading for Flynn, even if it's for a 5th rounder, they are not using their first rounder on Geno Smith. They will go into the season with Pryor and Flynn.

    Same with AZ. If they get Palmer, Stanton is obviously gonna be pissed because Palmer is the starter. They too will not be drafting a 3rd string QB in the first two rounds.

    Say whatever you want, if we go into this season with Sanchez/Garrard/Tebow/McElroy, this season will be worse than 2005. I'm not saying whoever we draft could change that, but at least we would have an option that we DON'T already know is garbage. I'm not even convinced Garrard will be healthy enough to make the team let alone beat out the worst starting QB in the league.


    My thinking is this, if we are going to run the WCO long term, then we need to come out of this draft with either Smith, Nassib, or Barkley. Bills could take Geno at 8, Jax could take Nassib at 33. That leaves us Barkley at 39.
    I would rather have glennon at 39

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    My point is that if the Raiders are trading for Flynn, even if it's for a 5th rounder, they are not using their first rounder on Geno Smith. They will go into the season with Pryor and Flynn.

    Same with AZ. If they get Palmer, Stanton is obviously gonna be pissed because Palmer is the starter. They too will not be drafting a 3rd string QB in the first two rounds.

    Say whatever you want, if we go into this season with Sanchez/Garrard/Tebow/McElroy, this season will be worse than 2005. I'm not saying whoever we draft could change that, but at least we would have an option that we DON'T already know is garbage. I'm not even convinced Garrard will be healthy enough to make the team let alone beat out the worst starting QB in the league.

    My thinking is this, if we are going to run the WCO long term, then we need to come out of this draft with either Smith, Nassib, or Barkley. Bills could take Geno at 8, Jax could take Nassib at 33. That leaves us Barkley at 39.
    Detroit signed Hill and Culpepper then drafted Stafford. If they think he is their future guy they will draft him. No BU QB is changing that. Stanton was in there somewhere to I think.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 03-29-2013 at 10:55 PM.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    It is not even the stats he didn't look good and is in his 5th year. Pre or not that was his job and he lost it. I wouldn't call it wacky. The guy has played 1 game in the NFL and people are pushing him like his is a proven starter. I dont get it is all. The only thing he has proved in his career was he was better then Brian Brohm.
    Flynn had one good game playing against a terrible Lions secondary and parlayed it into a contract. The Raiders are the ultimate dimwit joke of an organization. They passed on Haloti Ngata and Jay Cutler for a Safety Michael Huff. They passed on Megatron when he was obviously the surest draft pick in 10 years for fat Jamarcus Russell. They traded multiple picks for an over-the-hill statue in Carson Palmer and then gave him nobody to throw to.

    This move probably soldifies the fact that Matt Flynn is not a good NFL qb.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    It is not even the stats he didn't look good and is in his 5th year. Pre or not that was his job and he lost it. I wouldn't call it wacky. The guy has played 1 game in the NFL and people are pushing him like his is a proven starter. I dont get it is all. The only thing he has proved in his career was he was better then Brian Brohm.
    Russel Wilson was a very good QB that a lot of teams missed on in the draft. You're not talking some bad Qb that beat out M Flynn. (that would be a strike against him) There is no shame to lose out to Russelll Wilson. (the kid was that good)

    Again I'm not a big fan of Matt flynn as I think he a poor fit for the Raiders offense. This is like trying to put a round object in a square hole. It's just not going to work out. I hope this trade falls through.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    What other options do they really still have? Is Kolb still out there? Lefty and Lienard are pretty much the only FA still out there. Maybe Young is worth a look for the Raiders. I'd have more faith in Young then Flynn.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Flynn had one good game playing against a terrible Lions secondary and parlayed it into a contract. The Raiders are the ultimate dimwit joke of an organization. They passed on Haloti Ngata and Jay Cutler for a Safety Michael Huff. They passed on Megatron when he was obviously the surest draft pick in 10 years for fat Jamarcus Russell. They traded multiple picks for an over-the-hill statue in Carson Palmer and then gave him nobody to throw to.

    This move probably soldifies the fact that Matt Flynn is not a good NFL qb.
    Dreamer what are you posting under a different handle now. This is the dumbest thing I ever saw posted.- if it not dreamer than I owe him an apology ( Couple of facts. What does AL Davis have to do with Reggie Mckenzie( who now running the Raiders) Newsflash this is a whole new regime from top to bottom. So what was your point and is it relevant. Was Reggie MCkenzie the guy who drafted m Huff( Nope) Was Reggie Mckenzie the guy who drafted Jamarcus russel . Nope. Was R Mckenzie the guy who traded two picks for C palmer. Nope.

    Should detjetfan do his homework before he posts the next time. YES.

    Second the great Ozzie Newsome put the highest grade on Jamarcus Russell that he had ever put on any prospect. That is a fact. Franchise QB are much more important than franchise WR. So in hindsight you can say now what the right move was( Newsome would have took him) Big deal.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-29-2013 at 11:36 PM.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Dreamer what are you posting under a different handle now. This is the dumbest thing I ever saw posted.- if it not dreamer than I owe him an apology ( Couple of facts. What does AL Davis have to do with Reggie Mckenzie( who now running the Raiders) Newsflash this is a whole new regime from top to bottom. So what was your point and is it relevant. Was Reggie MCkenzie the guy who drafted m Huff( Nope) Was Reggie Mckenzie the guy who drafted Jamarcus russel . Nope. Was R Mckenzie the guy who traded two picks for C palmer. Nope.

    Second the great Ozzie Newsome put the highest grade on Jamarcus Russell that he had ever put on any prospect. That is a fact. Franchise QB are much more important than franchise WR. So in hindsight you can say now what the right move was( Newsome would have took him) Big deal.
    Not me I actually wouldn't say that. Oakland hasn't been the worst making QB calls over the year they just over pay. Palmer was a good move but not worth what you paid. Campbell was a good signing as was Kerry. Walter even had his moments. Your issues over the years have been coaching and over paying. Right now they are doing the right thing. Your clearing house and setting yourselves up for a rebuild next year. Your going to be bad no way around it. Flynn or any other QB isn't going to change that. Next year your pretty much an expansion team IMO. Starting a new beginning and rightfully so.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us