Thread: DeMario Davis & Kyle Wilson ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow DeMario Davis & Kyle Wilson ~ ~ ~

The AFC East saw several breakout players make their marks last season. Buffalo Bills tailback C.J. Spiller, New England Patriots left tackle Nate Solder, and Miami Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline are among the players who had career years in 2012.

So who are this year's under-the-radar players who could have a big season in 2013 ? Here are seven breakout stars to keep an eye on the AFC East :

~ ~ No. 7 : DeMario Davis, LB, New York Jets

2012 stats : 35 tackles

Analysis : Jets head coach Rex Ryan put a lot of pressure on Davis before his rookie season. Ryan compared Davis, a third-round pick from Arkansas State, to a young Ray Lewis, which certainly raised some eyebrows. But by the end of the season, you could see some of the things Ryan bragged about. Davis was athletic, aggressive and finished with 35 tackles. The Jets believe Davis is ready to go into his second season as a full-time starter. New York released Bart Scott this offseason, and Davis is up next. Health permitting, Davis should be able to build off his rookie season.

~ ~ No. 5 : Kyle Wilson, CB, Jets

2012 stats : 48 tackles, one INT

Analysis : Wilson, 25, is the oldest player in this bunch. The three-year veteran spent most of his career backing up Pro Bowl cornerbacks Cromartie and Revis. But Wilson finally got consistent playing time in the starting lineup in 2012 after the season-ending knee injury to Revis. Wilson held his own but didnít make a lot of big plays. He had one interception and one forced fumble in 16 games. But the Jets believe Wilson is capable of taking over Revisí spot full-time in the starting lineup. That is why New York has been in trade discussions about Revis, who will be a free agent in 2014. I expect a Revis trade to happen before the start of the season, which means Wilson must step up and be a better playmaker.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...eakout-players

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post

... the Jets believe Wilson is capable of taking over Revisí spot full-time in the starting lineup. That is why New York has been in trade discussions about Revis ...
    I love the insight the writer brings here, I'll have what you're havin' ...

Hall Of Fame
    Clearly that was a list made from reading box scores.

I think that those two guys performance on D will make or break our D. If they can really shine we might have a solid top ten D.

All League
    Revis traded = JI complaining about cornerback play non-stop

Coples

Still trying to figure out how this guy mentions Kyle Wilson vs. Coples as a potential breakout player

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by vinit View Post
    Still trying to figure out how this guy mentions Kyle Wilson vs. Coples as a potential breakout player
    Totally agree; at least Coples should have been included along Wilson and Davis. I think Ellis is also going step his game up as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    We're really getting to a point where we have the youth and, on paper, have the talent on Defense to be a really, really good team. The question is whether they can take it from paper to the playing field.

Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Wilson, Davis, etc.....all young guys who should be consistent pieces of a great defense. Time will tell.

Wilson played well last year. No one is Revis, and very few are Cro, so Wilson is always going to look bad to Jets fans who are used to seeing that level of play. I don't think Wilson will ever be a Pro Bowler, but he can definitely be an above average CB, which is all we really need at the position.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    We're really getting to a point where we have the youth and, on paper, have the talent on Defense to be a really, really good team. The question is whether they can take it from paper to the playing field.

Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Wilson, Davis, etc.....all young guys who should be consistent pieces of a great defense. Time will tell.
    i think coples will develop into a productive player.
    i'm not sure about the others.

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Ten players from 2012 NFL Draft poised for bigger roles

While the NFL draft hype season kicks into full gear, Around The League wants to ensure that last year's top prospects don't get overlooked. We recently highlighted a handful of 2012 NFL Draft picks on the brink of Pro Bowl status. This time we are delving into a 10-pack of second-year players who will be thrust into a major role in 2013.

~ ~ 4. DeMario Davis, linebacker, New York Jets

Head coach Rex Ryan raised unreasonable expectations when he compared Davis' mannerisms and leadership to Ray Lewis, but the third-rounder was limited to nickel packages as a rookie. With Bart Scott out of the picture, Davis will combine with pass rusher Quinton Coples to add a much-needed speed element to the Jets' front seven this season. One NFL executive said last summer that Davis projects as an eight- or 10-year starter based on his strong talent level.

rest of above article :
    > http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...r-bigger-roles

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Wilson played well last year. No one is Revis, and very few are Cro, so Wilson is always going to look bad to Jets fans who are used to seeing that level of play. I don't think Wilson will ever be a Pro Bowler, but he can definitely be an above average CB, which is all we really need at the position.
    Especially if we develop a great passrush!

Oh my god, no.I used to be a big KW20 defender but the guy is a complete and utter mess. Kyle Wilson might look ok on the box score but that guy literally cannot cover anyone. Master of wagging his finger and gloating when a QB overthrows a man that beat him by five steps.

Kyle Wilson seems to be average at best to me. He can cover a slow receiver for sure. His tackling is a plus. His covering skills a minus. His anticipation a minus and his punt returning although nothing special a plus because he can do it. Average Joe!

Wilson -> J A G