Thread: Help: Softball Sponsorship Questions

Waterboy

Help: Softball Sponsorship Questions

Im starting a community softball team with my coworkers, friends and girlfriends dad (who played college ball and traveling semi-pro teams). I got 12 players that are going to play every game and pay their portion. My league costs 1600$, most of the guys I got are washed up baseball players from high school and college. Im pretty sure were going to have a great team but we dont all have money since some of them are pieces of sh*t, washed up from partying and trying to live the sports player dream. Im not trying to throw down the money for the guys that cant come up with it. I was talking to an older guy at my gym about softball and he was telling me I could get a sponsorship from a local bar/ restaurant. He told me some places love sponsoring community softball teams since they get their name on the players jerseys and its making to town money. He said to promise the bar owner that the team will come in for wings and drinks after game and have a few team meetings at the bar that decides to sponsor us. I get all of this but I dont know how to ask for money. I feel like a guy standing on the corner with a coffee can. There has to be a way that is more professional, right?

Think of it like this....you aren't begging for money, you're offering a Sponsorship Opportunity. I would gather the emails of as many establishments you can. Independent places are more likely to go for this rather than chains. Write them a email outlining the BENEFITS vs. the cost. Have the smartest person you know read it over and edit when you are done. Tell them exactly what they are going to get for their investment. Focus less on the exposure they get...and more on hard cash...I.e. your team is going to spend money there.

$1,600 is a lot though....we used to get $500 from a small painting company and a landscaper.

I wouldn't limit it to bars though, Cast a wide net...spread the word to everyone you know, usually something like this comes from a friend of a friend.
    Last edited by FF2; 03-30-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNwhiteALLday View Post
    Im starting a community softball team with my coworkers, friends and girlfriends dad (who played college ball and traveling semi-pro teams). I got 12 players that are going to play every game and pay their portion. My league costs 1600$, most of the guys I got are washed up baseball players from high school and college. Im pretty sure were going to have a great team but we dont all have money since some of them are pieces of sh*t, washed up from partying and trying to live the sports player dream. Im not trying to throw down the money for the guys that cant come up with it. I was talking to an older guy at my gym about softball and he was telling me I could get a sponsorship from a local bar/ restaurant. He told me some places love sponsoring community softball teams since they get their name on the players jerseys and its making to town money. He said to promise the bar owner that the team will come in for wings and drinks after game and have a few team meetings at the bar that decides to sponsor us. I get all of this but I dont know how to ask for money. I feel like a guy standing on the corner with a coffee can. There has to be a way that is more professional, right?

My friends and I did this, it helps if its a bar that you guys already go to on a regular basis, if they aren't sponsoring anyone.

We went to the bar after every loss. We still hold the league record's longest losing streak at 0-63 (no lie).

No one made it to work they next day after our first win.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    My friends and I did this, it helps if its a bar that you guys already go to on a regular basis, if they aren't sponsoring anyone.

We went to the bar after every loss. We still hold the league record's longest losing streak at 0-63 (no lie).

I hope your team name was the Jets.

Waterboy

Jersey name and number for sub jerseys

I wanna get two extra jerseys with a funny name and number for the sub or subs. You guys have anything good?

I was thinking something like "i need money" or "masterb" #8

The sub is gonna be one of the guys i wanted on my team originally and backed out due to financial trouble. Everyone knows a guy like this. So now he shows up when we need him for free. So the sub name should be something funny and kind of embarrassing.

Lets hear it guys..

All League
    If you can find a local bar/restaurant to foot the whole bill, good for you.

Offer half and lobby for some free pitchers and pizza or wings.

My team gets that and after we reach the limit they give us a deal. We all throw in $5 or $10 each depending on how many show up and what we drink. It covers the bill plus a good tip for the waitress dealing with our smelly loser arses.

And for crhissakes watch Beer League, a underrated flick!!

NSFW
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z6Bc1CKoLE

I wanna get two extra jerseys with a funny name and number for the sub or subs. You guys have anything good?

The sub is gonna be one of the guys i wanted on my team originally and backed out due to financial trouble. Everyone knows a guy like this. So now he shows up when we need him for free. So the sub name should be something funny and kind of embarrassing.

Lets hear it guys..
    #69 EAT ME
    #00 LOSER

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

How could you not be a Jest fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    #69 EAT ME
    #00 LOSER
    #G0
    DICKHEADS

Lets hear it guys..
    thebigragu

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I thought this was going to be a lot of really easy questions about sponsorships in general.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    #G0
    DICKHEADS

lol

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I thought this was going to be a lot of really easy questions about sponsorships in general.
    Are you a writer by trade?

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Are you a writer by trade?

-
    I'm a drinker with a writing problem.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend