Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

Thread: BET Founder: ‘This Country Would Never Tolerate White Unemployment at 14 or 15 %

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,814
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I do regularly. The people here feel NYers are stupid for getting hosed as they are. Actually more to do here than NY. Been boating lately now that the weather is sunny and 75+.
    Unemployment around this area is actually fairly low. Especially with Boeing and a few other major companies leaving union infested areas and coming to a place with civilized laws. That's why people (smart ones) atre bailing NY, NJ etc and coming here, NC, ALA, TX.
    Ah nothing like boating to see how the others are suffering.

    Last edited by cr726; 04-03-2013 at 11:29 AM.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Guess what I went to the supermarket yesterday and there were only 3 lanes run by cashiers instead of the 20 in 2008 when the economy tanked, 5 years ago. I have a phone that has 100X the data capability than the phone I had in 2008. I have also replaced my computer and upgraded my accounting software 3 times. I'm also able to have very inexpensive meetings with my vendors all over the world on my laptop while having coffee in my backyard at almost any time day or night.

    I used to have to fly around the world about 3 to 4 times a year. Now I go once a year to kick the tires.

    20 checkouts. That's a big supermarket.
    I know you mean well, but please cut it out. My career centered around the packaged good industry. Therefore, I know retail very well.
    They have had self checkouts for 15 years. I have seen no significant increase in the use of the concept. I have seen fewer checkouts open, that's true and that backs up lines.
    You better be updating your accounting software EVERY year BTW with the Obama tax changes. LOL.
    I was doing teleconferencing 15 years ago. No biggie, so were my clients/customers and suppliers.
    If you have value, you have a job. Companies are cutting out the unnecessary. Still a way to go.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Ah nothing like boating to see how the others are suffering.



    Mine is power and much bigger than the judge's. LOL
    I must admit I do not sit in a bar and rub elbows with teamsters and dockworkers. But I do mingle with some lawyers, business owners and even (dare I say it) educators. I have a good idea what's going on.

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    20 checkouts. That's a big supermarket.
    I know you mean well, but please cut it out. My career centered around the packaged good industry. Therefore, I know retail very well.
    They have had self checkouts for 15 years. I have seen no significant increase in the use of the concept. I have seen fewer checkouts open, that's true and that backs up lines.
    You better be updating your accounting software EVERY year BTW with the Obama tax changes. LOL.
    I was doing teleconferencing 15 years ago. No biggie, so were my clients/customers and suppliers.
    If you have value, you have a job. Companies are cutting out the unnecessary. Still a way to go.
    Please now your just being argumentative. Less workers and more self serve. That has increased by huge numbers. And yes I go to a very large supermarket. I like big aisles and good prices.

    When was the last time you got a bording pass from an airline employee?

    When was the last time you bought a book at a book store, went out to buy or rent a DVD?

    Retail is not only automated on the front end the distribution has been amazingly automated in the last 5 years. Almost every major distribution center is picking orders automatically by machine.

    Guess what I have a dishwasher and it's not my wife.

    Today your career is clipping coupons what you did doesn't even exist today.

  5. #45
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Please now your just being argumentative. Less workers and more self serve. That has increased by huge numbers. And yes I go to a very large supermarket. I like big aisles and good prices.

    When was the last time you got a bording pass from an airline employee?

    When was the last time you bought a book at a book store, went out to buy or rent a DVD?

    Retail is not only automated on the front end the distribution has been amazingly automated in the last 5 years. Almost every major distribution center is picking orders automatically by machine.

    Guess what I have a dishwasher and it's not my wife.

    Today your career is clipping coupons what you did doesn't even exist today.
    Interesting and accurate. Banking to retail. The NEW normal will be 10 percent unemployment IMO. Client of mine just opened a yougurt shop, circa the new TCBY. The entire model is self serve.

    we call ourselves a great country , great workforce but labor is the number one cost and number one headache to a business. Sad but true.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Please now your just being argumentative. Less workers and more self serve. That has increased by huge numbers. And yes I go to a very large supermarket. I like big aisles and good prices.

    When was the last time you got a bording pass from an airline employee?

    When was the last time you bought a book at a book store, went out to buy or rent a DVD?

    Retail is not only automated on the front end the distribution has been amazingly automated in the last 5 years. Almost every major distribution center is picking orders automatically by machine.

    Guess what I have a dishwasher and it's not my wife.

    Today your career is clipping coupons what you did doesn't even exist today.
    Of course I am argumentative. This is a political board and that's my personality anyway, you should know that.
    The boarding pass thing is also my point. That's been the case for over 10 years - not new.
    I am a reader and go to Barnes and Noble monthly. I do BUY DVDs.
    I recall visiting an automated pick and pack operation at Johnson and Johnson 35 years ago. Nary a soul in sight. Supplies were delievered to work stations automatically. These are not new. Procter and Gamble also had such a system as did many companies. 30-40 years ago. Cyanamid even had automated mail delivery to the desk.
    Sorry, I am missing the coupon clipping thing. My wife clips coupons - she's thrifty. Dishwasher? Had that 40 years ago. Came with the house. washer and dryer too. No cleaning at the river.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Interesting and accurate. Banking to retail. The NEW normal will be 10 percent unemployment IMO. Client of mine just opened a yougurt shop, circa the new TCBY. The entire model is self serve.

    we call ourselves a great country , great workforce but labor is the number one cost and number one headache to a business. Sad but true.


    The banking thing is accurate. Haven't been in a bank in years.
    Retail is cutting back on in store service.
    Self serve food. Seen the beverage thing increasing at MacDonalds etc.
    Yogurt? Have to see how that works. Could be abused?

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,814
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Of course I am argumentative. This is a political board and that's my personality anyway, you should know that.
    The boarding pass thing is also my point. That's been the case for over 10 years - not new.
    I am a reader and go to Barnes and Noble monthly. I do BUY DVDs.
    I recall visiting an automated pick and pack operation at Johnson and Johnson 35 years ago. Nary a soul in sight. Supplies were delievered to work stations automatically. These are not new. Procter and Gamble also had such a system as did many companies. 30-40 years ago. Cyanamid even had automated mail delivery to the desk.
    Sorry, I am missing the coupon clipping thing. My wife clips coupons - she's thrifty. Dishwasher? Had that 40 years ago. Came with the house. washer and dryer too. No cleaning at the river.
    Being new or readily accessible and affordable are different no?

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Being new or readily accessible and affordable are different no?

    My point is I saw major use of these advances many years ago in the workplace.
    Self checkout was fairly common 15 years ago. The boarding pass thing was common over 10 years ago.
    People are improving their effiecency. The good ones anyway. The ones that do not keep up are out.
    The government, including the military, could do well to follow a performance model.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    My point is I saw major use of these advances many years ago in the workplace.
    Self checkout was fairly common 15 years ago. The boarding pass thing was common over 10 years ago.
    People are improving their effiecency. The good ones anyway. The ones that do not keep up are out.
    The government, including the military, could do well to follow a performance model.
    We could argue this all day. Self checkout was not fairly common 15 years ago and neither was walking into an airport and having 1 or 2 people available to check your bags. The only real availability of self checkout 15 years ago was banking.

    3 things have happened that you are ignoring. The technology is far cheaper and better. The consumer has been trained to do the functions that companies provided with their products and services as a matter of course (They have the technology in their hands and now know how to use it). The supply chain has been integrated by computing and technology to deliver services and products to the customers door.

    The next wave coming is robotics doing simple and cheap tasks that will turn over another huge sector of the work force. Middle management will continue to be hollowed but now low wage low skill workers won't be needed with the exception of health care.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 04-03-2013 at 01:35 PM.

  11. #51
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,177
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    To the usual suspects on here it is perverse. The lazies think it is perverse to work. Or at least to work that actaully produces something useful.
    Lazy welfare losers. And those on the government dole working 15 hour weeks and getting paid for 35-40.
    Free ride and then complain because they don't get enough in handouts.
    You aren't sounding any alarm; but you ARE highlighting how out of touch you are. All your strident posts point out your superficial understanding of (anything outside of your job specialty).

  12. #52
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,177
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Mine is power and much bigger than the judge's. LOL
    I must admit I do not sit in a bar and rub elbows with teamsters and dockworkers. But I do mingle with some lawyers, business owners and even (dare I say it) educators. I have a good idea what's going on.
    Pfft - your boat cannot compare the teh "Flying Wasp"!

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    My point is I saw major use of these advances many years ago in the workplace.
    Self checkout was fairly common 15 years ago. The boarding pass thing was common over 10 years ago.
    People are improving their effiecency. The good ones anyway. The ones that do not keep up are out.
    The government, including the military, could do well to follow a performance model.
    The common link to industries not getting efficient as the market is they have an elastic or monololized consumer (Utilities and government). Where they have no competition on price and can raise the price at will.

  14. #54
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,788
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Yogurt? Have to see how that works. Could be abused?
    Geesh gramps...get your ass over to Froyo World...pronto!

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    We could argue this all day. Self checkout was not fairly common 15 years ago and neither was walking into an airport and having 1 or 2 people available to check your bags. The only real availability of self checkout 15 years ago was banking.

    3 things have happened that you are ignoring. The technology is far cheaper and better. The consumer has been trained to do the functions that companies provided with their products and services as a matter of course (They have the technology in their hands and now know how to use it). The supply chain has been integrated by computing and technology to deliver services and products to the customers door.

    The next wave coming is robotics doing simple and cheap tasks that will turn over another huge sector of the work force. Middle management will continue to be hollowed but now low wage low skill workers won't be needed with the exception of health care.
    Your post does speak to a good point and gets to one of the core challenges of our economy. Progress is always happening. You say that we have fewer checkout clerks. Thats true but its nothing new. In the 80's my company had 4 employees whose job it was to type up invoices and quotes. Now our system is automated and we have no one. EZ Pass has elliminated the need for toll collectors throughout the country. Email has reduced the need for mail carriers. The list can be a mile long and this is nothing new. To make matters worse globalization has reduced the pay scale for unskilled laborers like factory workers and also reduced the job opportunities due to the rise of the Chinese and Indian factory.

    Unskilled labor jobs are paying less and less available than has been since the early 20th century. To compound the problem the cost of health insurance is so high that virtually no unskilled laborers can afford it. Obama was elected on the premise that he would find a solution but the Obamacare legislation which was sold as an affordability play has turned out to be a complete lie. There is the second component of the challenge facing our economy. The third is the debt.

    What is the solution? On employment we need young people to understand that without training they will not be successful in life. There are plenty of kids that are not suited for College. They need to be steered towards careers as electricians, plumbers, mechanics and the like. We also need our education sytem to steer students to high success rate majors like IT and Engineering. Lord knows we don't need any more lawyers (no offense Doggin ) The era of the well paid unskilled factory/retail worker is over.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    We could argue this all day. Self checkout was not fairly common 15 years ago and neither was walking into an airport and having 1 or 2 people available to check your bags. The only real availability of self checkout 15 years ago was banking.

    3 things have happened that you are ignoring. The technology is far cheaper and better. The consumer has been trained to do the functions that companies provided with their products and services as a matter of course (They have the technology in their hands and now know how to use it). The supply chain has been integrated by computing and technology to deliver services and products to the customers door.

    The next wave coming is robotics doing simple and cheap tasks that will turn over another huge sector of the work force. Middle management will continue to be hollowed but now low wage low skill workers won't be needed with the exception of health care.

    Depends on where you shop. In NY Metro, A&P. Shoprite, Pathmark, Waldbaums and FoodTown all had self checkout 15 years ago.
    Places like Gristedes or smaller stores - NO. Their have zip market share anyway.
    And I know this how? Because I worked for Dow 30 and it was my business to know trends.

    Airports. Was printing boarding passes at home or work over 10 years ago.
    Was doing it. If I was, so was everyone who wanted to.
    ATMs - going on 30 years.
    Baggage at AP. Pulled up not 45 days ago and two handlers were at my car in a flash. There were plenty outside. Maybe I live in a more sophisticated city.
    Tech is cheaper and better. Used to have a secretary that took dictation and typed. Then I just did it on my computer freeing her up. Didn't fire her. Too valuable and hard working. Redirected. That's value.
    Things are faster. UPC is a good inventory control feature. But it neither adds nor subtracts jobs.
    The bottom line is poor or unneeded workers have been exposed and eliminated. No value=no job. Have value=have job.
    BTW, I find consumers to be stupid.

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Your post does speak to a good point and gets to one of the core challenges of our economy. Progress is always happening. You say that we have fewer checkout clerks. Thats true but its nothing new. In the 80's my company had 4 employees whose job it was to type up invoices and quotes. Now our system is automated and we have no one. EZ Pass has elliminated the need for toll collectors throughout the country. Email has reduced the need for mail carriers. The list can be a mile long and this is nothing new. To make matters worse globalization has reduced the pay scale for unskilled laborers like factory workers and also reduced the job opportunities due to the rise of the Chinese and Indian factory.

    Unskilled labor jobs are paying less and less available than has been since the early 20th century. To compound the problem the cost of health insurance is so high that virtually no unskilled laborers can afford it. Obama was elected on the premise that he would find a solution but the Obamacare legislation which was sold as an affordability play has turned out to be a complete lie. There is the second component of the challenge facing our economy. The third is the debt.

    What is the solution? On employment we need young people to understand that without training they will not be successful in life. There are plenty of kids that are not suited for College. They need to be steered towards careers as electricians, plumbers, mechanics and the like. We also need our education sytem to steer students to high success rate majors like IT and Engineering. Lord knows we don't need any more lawyers (no offense Doggin ) The era of the well paid unskilled factory/retail worker is over.
    the new normal. Absolutely. It is not going away.

    I sadly believe our school system is not suited to teach kids this. They are so liberal, they believe its a conspiracy.

    Big corps..etc. Read the posts of IJF etc....

    Most teachers have basic education training and little real world experience where prodicing a real product that a consumer can walk away from is sold. It is daunting. Trust me..as a CPA, I get fired several times a year by clients.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You aren't sounding any alarm; but you ARE highlighting how out of touch you are. All your strident posts point out your superficial understanding of (anything outside of your job specialty).


    Actually I am "in touch" with decision makers. To me, those re the only ones that count. My children are now in that category, so I have an excellent current account of things.
    Plus my exposure to business remains strong. Sorry, I am super informed.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Geesh gramps...get your ass over to Froyo World...pronto!
    I must admit I was not familiar with this franchise. With only 22 locations, I know why. Let me know when they are the size of even Hardees or Chik-Fil-A.

  20. #60
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    19,179
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I must admit I was not familiar with this franchise. With only 22 locations, I know why. Let me know when they are the size of even Hardees or Chik-Fil-A.
    TCBY now...its all the rave. Self serve, sells by the pound.

    Average store does about $700K to $1 million retail, gross prifit is over 60 percent and they have reduced labor to about 20 percent of gross. Thats huge.

    I would never own one. Owner in a GREAT scenario will net less than or around 100K most , the typical owner nets well MUCH less.

    AFTER putting in a ton of their own money.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-03-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us