Thread: My 1st Mock Draft for 2013

All League

My 1st Mock Draft for 2013

No long intro here. Just a couple of basic theories from today until the draft begins in less than a month. Jets will pick up a TE & Safety during the next 29 days and they will trade Revis for a mixture of picks for this year 2013 and next year 2014 with the Bucs. I predict a 3rd rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year. With that here's my draft.

Here are my picks from the 1st to 3rd round as I have always thought the 5-7th rounds are a crap shoot of whose available.

#9 - Chance Warmack - OG Alabama
    Why, well successful teams build from the trenches out. Having a Franchise QB means you have the talent up front protecting your investment. The Jets miss out on Dion Jordan and while they could have gotten Mingo or Lotulelei I think the Warmack fits in at Guard for the next 10 years and solidifies a spot of weakness. We can't count on Colon to start because of his injury history and Slauson is gone.

IF Warmack is gone at #9 - sub pick would be Tavon Austin WR.

#39 - Justin Hunter - WR Tennessee
    Why, well even if Holmes comes back at the start of the season Hill is going to continue to struggle a little and when Holmes is released or traded next year, we will be without a capable #2 WR behind Hill. You need a deep threat with upside to be a solid #1 with Hill as a #2 down the road. Hunter represents a solid addition who can contribute as a #3 or #4 wideout this year and if pressed to duty because of Holmes, can be a #2 WR behind Hill or Kerely.

IF Hunter is gone at #39 - sub pick would be D.j. Swearinger Safety

#72 - Marcus Lattimore - RB South Carolina
    This may be a slight reach at the top of the 3rd round, but the value this kid gives the Jets in the next 6-9 months is a top 10 pick when healthy. Sure injury concerns are of issue as he's still recovering, but Idzik has to think by the time he's healthy enough to play - mid season his skill set is so substantial that he could be a top 5 RB in the NFL in 1-2 season. Rare combo of speed, agility and hands and he can pass block...

#73 From Revis trade with Bucs - Gavin Escobar TE- San Diego State
    Immediate starter at the TE position with as much upside as any TE in this draft. Soft hands with size and speed to stretch the field. Needs to add bulk and strength to battle in the trenches for pass blocking - but I think the Jets will work with that. Better than Keller coming out of college.

#141 Corey Lemonier - OLB - Auburn
    I love this kids size and speed. He has the agility to turn the corner and strength to battle in the trenches I think he represents a steal in value in the 4th round and I would easily swap him for a 3rd for Escobar. While we need both a TE and OLB, I think Rex can still produce without a notable OLB, I can't say the same for the offense. Which is why I selected Escobar first. If during the draft I felt Lemonier was going off the board I would pick him with the 2nd 3rd round pick.

So, what do you guys think? Feedback please.

I gave up caring about the thread after the Revis trade. Sorry, but I want Revis on this team.

I'm warming up to Austin at #9, it might be a little high, but this is basically the next Percy Harvin.

You get playmakers, QB, stud WR's, OT's, stud DT, and stud OLB/DE passrushers at the top of the draft.

I like Mingo, Jordan, and Ansah at #9 also

Not a fan of an OG that high in the draft, you just don't draft OG's that high, don't care how good he is, and with the switch to the WCO, and most likely the zone blocking scheme, we don't need a road grader, and I'm actually still intrigued with the next jump Ducasse can make at OG, and really like the Colon signing. We have far too many other needs at other areas.

If the Revis trade is done with TB, I could see a Mingo/Jordan/Ansah pick at #9 and Austin at #13.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    No long intro here. Just a couple of basic theories from today until the draft begins in less than a month. Jets will pick up a TE & Safety during the next 29 days and they will trade Revis for a mixture of picks for this year 2013 and next year 2014 with the Bucs. I predict a 3rd rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year. With that here's my draft.

Here are my picks from the 1st to 3rd round as I have always thought the 5-7th rounds are a crap shoot of whose available.

#9 - Chance Warmack - OG Alabama
    Why, well successful teams build from the trenches out. Having a Franchise QB means you have the talent up front protecting your investment. The Jets miss out on Dion Jordan and while they could have gotten Mingo or Lotulelei I think the Warmack fits in at Guard for the next 10 years and solidifies a spot of weakness. We can't count on Colon to start because of his injury history and Slauson is gone.

IF Warmack is gone at #9 - sub pick would be Tavon Austin WR.

#39 - Justin Hunter - WR Tennessee
    Why, well even if Holmes comes back at the start of the season Hill is going to continue to struggle a little and when Holmes is released or traded next year, we will be without a capable #2 WR behind Hill. You need a deep threat with upside to be a solid #1 with Hill as a #2 down the road. Hunter represents a solid addition who can contribute as a #3 or #4 wideout this year and if pressed to duty because of Holmes, can be a #2 WR behind Hill or Kerely.

IF Hunter is gone at #39 - sub pick would be D.j. Swearinger Safety

#72 - Marcus Lattimore - RB South Carolina
    This may be a slight reach at the top of the 3rd round, but the value this kid gives the Jets in the next 6-9 months is a top 10 pick when healthy. Sure injury concerns are of issue as he's still recovering, but Idzik has to think by the time he's healthy enough to play - mid season his skill set is so substantial that he could be a top 5 RB in the NFL in 1-2 season. Rare combo of speed, agility and hands and he can pass block...

#73 From Revis trade with Bucs - Gavin Escobar TE- San Diego State
    Immediate starter at the TE position with as much upside as any TE in this draft. Soft hands with size and speed to stretch the field. Needs to add bulk and strength to battle in the trenches for pass blocking - but I think the Jets will work with that. Better than Keller coming out of college.

#141 Corey Lemonier - OLB - Auburn
    I love this kids size and speed. He has the agility to turn the corner and strength to battle in the trenches I think he represents a steal in value in the 4th round and I would easily swap him for a 3rd for Escobar. While we need both a TE and OLB, I think Rex can still produce without a notable OLB, I can't say the same for the offense. Which is why I selected Escobar first. If during the draft I felt Lemonier was going off the board I would pick him with the 2nd 3rd round pick.

So, what do you guys think? Feedback please.
    I don't know enough about college football to give any educated insight, but I do know I don't want a "dominant" guard at #9 if I can get a "competent" one later in the draft. However, we NEED a dominant pass rusher so between the two I'm rolling the dice on the OLB (assuming the FO believes one is worthy of the #9 pick).

I don't mind WR at #39, especially if he's the potential play-maker you make him out to be. For as much as I liked the MM signing, I can't help but think of all the weapons he had to play with in Philly. Which leads me to my next point --

I'm all for grabbing a top-10 talent that won't contribute for a while. Let's just accumulate those guys on our roster for the long-term. Again, this is coming from a clueless fan who is only going by what he hears, but in theory I have no problem "risking" a 3rd round pick (then again, I didn't mind risking a 4th on Tebow)

Don't really care either way about the Revis trade at this point. If this is our FO for the near future, might as well trust their judgement whichever way they go. Having said that, getting a "complete" TE would further progress us toward a competent offense, so sign me up.

Like I said, I'd probably flip-flop the 1st and 4th round picks, so if we don't go OLB in the first, I agree to grab one here.

Sorry I don't have more to add, but at least now you know what Joe fan thinks . . .

All Pro
    It strikes me as a fairly realistic mock for us with the right types of picks. Not perfect for the way we're going, but that would be a pretty good draft.

I don't think we wait until the 5th to take an edge rusher though. I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't take one in the first three rounds. I think Warmack is less likely than a playmaker (Patterson, Austin) or a rusher (Jones, Mingo) too.

Your general feeling -- that OL, WR, RB, TE, OLB, and S are the picks we'll be drafting is definitely the likely scenario, it's just curious how it will fall.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I'm warming up to Austin at #9, it might be a little high, but this is basically the next Percy Harvin.

You get playmakers, QB, stud WR's, OT's, stud DT, and stud OLB/DE passrushers at the top of the draft.

I like Mingo, Jordan, and Ansah at #9 also

Not a fan of an OG that high in the draft, you just don't draft OG's that high, don't care how good he is, and with the switch to the WCO, and most likely the zone blocking scheme, we don't need a road grader, and I'm actually still intrigued with the next jump Ducasse can make at OG, and really like the Colon signing. We have far too many other needs at other areas.

If the Revis trade is done with TB, I could see a Mingo/Jordan/Ansah pick at #9 and Austin at #13.
    Mingo will be there at 9, not sure about Jordan and Ansah. I really like Austin at 9 because he effects the game in so many different ways that a offense is better day 1 with him. I still like Warmack b/c he's a stud at a position of need.
    Mingo has questions and while he has speed he may lack the in the booth strength to compete as a every down LB for now.

All Pro
    do you have any thoughts about the fourth round?

what S and TE are they picking up in the next 29 days and from whom?

if Warmack is gone by 9 they are taking WR's with their first two picks?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I don't know enough about college football to give any educated insight, but I do know I don't want a "dominant" guard at #9 if I can get a "competent" one later in the draft. However, we NEED a dominant pass rusher so between the two I'm rolling the dice on the OLB (assuming the FO believes one is worthy of the #9 pick).

I don't mind WR at #39, especially if he's the potential play-maker you make him out to be. For as much as I liked the MM signing, I can't help but think of all the weapons he had to play with in Philly. Which leads me to my next point --

I'm all for grabbing a top-10 talent that won't contribute for a while. Let's just accumulate those guys on our roster for the long-term. Again, this is coming from a clueless fan who is only going by what he hears, but in theory I have no problem "risking" a 3rd round pick (then again, I didn't mind risking a 4th on Tebow)

Don't really care either way about the Revis trade at this point. If this is our FO for the near future, might as well trust their judgement whichever way they go. Having said that, getting a "complete" TE would further progress us toward a competent offense, so sign me up.

Like I said, I'd probably flip-flop the 1st and 4th round picks, so if we don't go OLB in the first, I agree to grab one here.

Sorry I don't have more to add, but at least now you know what Joe fan thinks . . .
    Thanks - I understand the question on the OG pick at #9, I wish Jordan or Ansah would still be on the board at that slot but that ain't happening. I don't like Mingo as I think he's a one dimensional player for now. If he adds bulks and strength he has potential. I think Lattimore for whomever gets him will be a steal in the 3-5 area. But honestly, this team needs talent in the worse way. And I'm afraid that talent on this team will always be underwhelming without a Franchise QB. Without a QB, for now we need to build the trenches so that he doesn't end up like a Bradford or Cutler.

All Pro
    People who question Warmack at #9 don't understand this team, and this draft. Remember Faneca? Would you give a sh*t if you drafted Faneca at #9 or #20 years later? Hell no.

I don't like this draft Brick. OG/WR/RB/TE/OLB (who'll be gone).... we actually have WRs, RBs. Definitely need a TE, but you said we're signing one, so....

This team needs to draft about 4 defensive players. The problem with our offense is Mark and he's no going anywhere. Meanwhile, we lost a DE, NT, ILB, 2x OLB, 2x Safety... and you're thinking of drafting a 175 lb 5'8 slot WR? That's not a luxury we can afford my friend.

I like Hunter. I like Escobar. I even Like Lattimore. This strategy though leaves us too thin on defense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    People who question Warmack at #9 don't understand this team, and this draft. Remember Faneca? Would you give a sh*t if you drafted Faneca at #9 or #20 years later? Hell no.

I don't like this draft Brick. OG/WR/RB/TE/OLB (who'll be gone).... we actually have WRs, RBs. Definitely need a TE, but you said we're signing one, so....

This team needs to draft about 4 defensive players. The problem with our offense is Mark and he's no going anywhere. Meanwhile, we lost a DE, NT, ILB, 2x OLB, 2x Safety... and you're thinking of drafting a 175 lb 5'8 slot WR? That's not a luxury we can afford my friend.

I like Hunter. I like Escobar. I even Like Lattimore. This strategy though leaves us too thin on defense.
    Paradis, thanks for the feedback. I disagree with the notion of drafting 4 defense players when the defense was a top 10 defense without much contribution from the players we just lost via FA. I think Rex will do fine if he signs a FA Safety to hold the fort. I also disagree with the notion that a 5'8 175lb WR couldn't be a difference maker on a consistant basis. I think while small in stature, the NFL has plenty of players who are diminutive that contribute mightily to the teams success. Look at the impact Sproles has made in NO and then look at the impact of Percy Harvin though slightly bigger at 5'11 184 he impacts the game the same way a Calvin Johnson does in Detroit.

In the NFL now being a passing league with spread formations slot WR's can make a major difference day 1. I suspect whatever team gets Austin he too will make an immediate impact.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Paradis, thanks for the feedback. I disagree with the notion of drafting 4 defense players when the defense was a top 10 defense without much contribution from the players we just lost via FA. I think Rex will do fine if he signs a FA Safety to hold the fort. I also disagree with the notion that a 5'8 175lb WR couldn't be a difference maker on a consistant basis. I think while small in stature, the NFL has plenty of players who are diminutive that contribute mightily to the teams success. Look at the impact Sproles has made in NO and then look at the impact of Percy Harvin though slightly bigger at 5'11 184 he impacts the game the same way a Calvin Johnson does in Detroit.

In the NFL now being a passing league with spread formations slot WR's can make a major difference day 1. I suspect whatever team gets Austin he too will make an immediate impact.
    Brick... we lost starters on Defense. Lots of them. A couple guards and a TE does not warrant this draft. Lattimore probably won't play this year. Austin is going to do, what? Start at flanker? i don't think so. Kerley's on slot duties and Austin not who you think he is. Sproles is not a top 10 pick. Percy isn't even comparable to Austin. Our offensive woes last year aren't the kind that will be solved by selling the farm for a handful of magic beans in the draft.

Look, we're on the same page in that Warmack's a great pick. Both think Escobar's worth a look at the top of the 3rd... but if you don't do something bolster our d-line, draft some help at safety and get us atleast one OLB... you're on your own man.