Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welcome to New York, Geno Smith

I wouldnt get my hopes up that Geno is going to fall. None of these signing represent a major change. Most teams that draft QB have a good fall back plan just not us. Very few teams go into the draft without anyone at QB on the roster. Unless your the #1 pick you need to have that guy there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I wouldnt get my hopes up that Geno is going to fall. None of these signing represent a major change. Most teams that draft QB have a good fall back plan just not us. Very few teams go into the draft without anyone at QB on the roster. Unless your the #1 pick you need to have that guy there.
    Agreed. Even if all of those guys represented change (which I agre they don't) one of these teams above us will trade down. Someone will want him and willing to move up.

There's no way the top QB on the board is still there at 9.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I think Geno will be a good, not great NFL Qb. It scares me that he never played in a pro style offense in college and that he always had a great OL protecting him while he was in shotgun. The Jets' WCO will be a different world for him being constantly under center with NFL defensive linemen breathing down his throat.

The kid is accurate, mobile and intelligent. Had a great pro day supposedly but so did Duhmarcus years ago it's amazing how people can go crazy over watching a guy throw against air.
    To be fair, he played his whole sophomore year in a prostyle offense. And since he has been the starter, the OL and running game has been subpar. Physically, he's got all the goods. Smart kid, loves football and great character guy. My concern is how he handles the pass rush. Having seen every game he's played in, the common theme was teams that sent the dogs after him gave him trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Not really

It's a matter of value matching up with a tremendous need.

I'd rather roll the dice on a potential franchise QB than one of these passrushers with a sh*t load of question marks.

It seems like a lot of people are hating on Geno just because he isn't Andrew Luck or RGIII. But if he was that kind of pospect, then we wouldn't have a chance in hell of drafting him.
    What about Warmack though

I'm just playing, I think the whole this QB class is awful is overblown by the media and fans who compare it to last year. Most draft classes have a tough time matching up with last years. But heck even last years draft class wasn't as awesome as it's viewed now. Two headliners and a bunch of question marks.

Veteran
    Sweet, so he can throw to nothing and get protected by nothing.

Sounds like a great plan.

All League
    I like Smith at 9, he's definitely an option.

I think he needs to bulk up a little bit though and I would think they would sit him to at least to start the year. This is going to be a 2 year process, there is still benefit to breaking players in.

Quote Originally Posted by ken shroy View Post
    So let's use our low pick this year on a QB that sux so bad that it will guarantee us another low pick next year?
    No, he could be amazing and still stink. Most young QB's aren't Luck or RG3.

Ryan Tannehill is much closer to the norm. Which would mean a high-ish pick next year.

Packaged with a smart Revis trade you can almost derive reason to be optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Buffalo just signed Kolb to compete with Tarvaris Jackson, the Raiders are on the verge of trading for Matt Flynn to compete with Pryor, and the Cardinals are supposedly close to adding Carson Palmer to their stable of QB's.

It now seems pretty much inevitable that Geno will fall into our laps. And judging by the reports, guys like Mornhinweg and Bradway are in love with the kid.

Personally, I'd totally embrace it.

Geno may never be elite, but I've said before that he reminds me a lot of a guy like Matt Hasselbeck, and Tony agreed.

Don't think he'll ever be a star, but I can definitely see him developing into a respectable Top 15 QB for a number of years.
    If he's there at #9, we have to take him. It'd be idiotic to take another position if the best QB on the board is there when we pick. Especially the idea of taking a guard over a QB is seriously crazy.

I still think he's gone by 9 though. These other teams bringing in guys like Kolb and Palmer are stopgap moves at best. I don't think that would deter them from drafting Smith if they liked him. With all the buzz surrounding him lately, I just can't see him slipping to 9.

Hall Of Fame
    Posted over on the Pfail Strip, from PFW, take it for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Here is more from that report:

Nawrocki has now issued scouting reports for Geno Smith and Matt Barkley, regarded as the top two quarterback prospects in this year’s draft. And at a time when many believe Smith will be taken before Barkley, Nawrocki calls Barkley a first-round pick and Smith merely a “top-50 pick.”

Apart from Nawrocki’s critique of Smith’s mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith: “Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Nawrocki then makes a strong prediction about Smith’s future. “Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room,” Nawrocki writes. “Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.”

Smith will indeed be drafted high, due to the possibility that his positives eventualy will outweigh his negatives, allowing him to become the one thing every team needs: A franchise quarterback. If enough teams agree with Nawrocki, however, Smith may not be drafted as high as some would believe.
    _

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    If he's there at #9, we have to take him. It'd be idiotic to take another position if the best QB on the board is there when we pick. Especially the idea of taking a guard over a QB is seriously crazy.
    It's not crazy if the class of QBs is filled with JAGs, as this one is.

Taking the best QB in weak class does not mean you are getting a good QB.

It means you're getting the skinniest chick at the fat farm.

_

Smith is the only qb I would toss myself over a bridge at 9 but I'd still be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    It's not crazy if the class of QBs is filled with JAGs, as this one is.

Taking the best QB in weak class does not mean you are getting a good QB.

It means you're getting the skinniest chick at the fat farm.

_
    I don't consider a guy with Smith's talent and coming off of the senior season he just had to be a JAG. Nobody will know for certain how good or bad this QB class is until several years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Posted over on the Pfail Strip, from PFW, take it for what its worth.

_
    Pro Football Weekly’s Nolan Nawrocki, who called Cam Newton a “fraud” and a “con-artist,” is back with another…interesting…review of a black quarterback. His assessment of Geno Smith was quite harsh, claiming the West Virginia star is “not a student of the game,” “does not command respect from teammates” and “did not show an understanding of concepts.” Ouch.
    yeah not putting a lot of stock in his harsh comments. I was not a Cam fan but those where stupid comments.

Hall Of Fame
    yeah not putting a lot of stock in his harsh comments. I was not a Cam fan but those where stupid comments.
    Actually a lot of what he said about Newton is true. Here are more of those comments:

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup,” Nawrocki wrote. “Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.”

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Actually a lot of what he said about Newton is true. Here are more of those comments:

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup,” Nawrocki wrote. “Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.”
    He had attitude issues no doubt but looked to have corrected them over his last year or 2 in college. Never had the issues in Blinn or Auburn that he had in Florida. He actually distanced himself from the scandal his father started and handled it very well. The stigma was there but it was hard to say he hadnt matured as an adult. Shortcuts I'd say he took the long way to be honest. He worked hard to get back on top or to the top depending on how you want to look at it I guess. He made some very good PR moves to help repair his reputation and at very least showed he cared. As far as never winning over his lock room or commanding respect I highly doubt that was the case. It has been a few years but I recall his leadership was one of his more redeeming qualities his last year in Auburn.

Narwocki also ripped on RG3, but at least he kept that to mostly on the field stuff (aside from strongly implying that he was dumb). He seems to have a track record of ripping on Quarterbacks of a different, color, if you catch my drift.

The bigger issue is that his claims are just laughably inaccurate. For instance, here's another article about Geno Smith which goes into depth about his film watching addiction.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

and another..

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-...rk-3924068.php

Does that, you know, actual reporting jobs, sound like a QB with work ethic issues? What Narwocki posted is just baseless allegations, which are especially suspicious given his history of ripping similar, ahem, colored, quarterbacks.

Or really, skipping the Senior Bowl is now a character flaw? Well, I guess every top 10 pick at QB over the last 20 years has a major character flaw then.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-01-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    You don't find Cam's whole act a fraud?

Or that he's a con artist?

Do you ever think for yourself?

He's almost as big a fraud as Tebow.

Kids these days--too funny.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Love his stupid "Superman" dance when his team is down 20, then dumps on his team after a loss.

Guy's a super talent, a superior athlete, great arm and and incredibly fast and durable runner for such a big guy, but he's also a total fraud.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Narwocki also ripped on RG3, but at least he kept that to mostly on the field stuff (aside from strongly implying that he was dumb). He seems to have a track record of ripping on Quarterbacks of a different, color, if you catch my drift.

The bigger issue is that his claims are just laughably inaccurate. For instance, here's another article about Geno Smith which goes into depth about his film watching addiction.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

and another..

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-...rk-3924068.php

Does that, you know, actual reporting jobs, sound like a QB with work ethic issues? What Narwocki posted is just baseless allegations, which are especially suspicious given his history of ripping similar, ahem, colored, quarterbacks.

Or really, skipping the Senior Bowl is now a character flaw? Well, I guess every top 10 pick at QB over the last 20 years has a major character flaw then.
    This guy Narwocki is basically a sensationalist joke. His opinion means nothing to me.

BFeldmanCBS9:53am via web
    .@jrc233 @SC_DougFarrar The work ethic knock on Geno is total BS. He spent more hours in WVU FB bldg after midnight than the custodial crew
    Bruce Feldman - CBS Sports