Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to New York, Geno Smith

All League
    A few good things about Geno:

Started multiple seasons for WVU. Sanchez was probably the least experienced QB drafted in the first since Akili Smith.

VERY accurate passer. Completed over 70% this year.

Strong arm and mobile.

Cons or possible cons:

A portion of his completion % could be because of the high number of screens they ran.

Having excellent receivers. Tavon Austin will probably go in the first half of the first round.

All in all, if he is there at 9, I don't see another player that could have the impact that he will. Almost every player projected in the first half of the first round either has red flags for health (Lotulelei, Jones), lack of production (Jordan, Mingo), inexperience (Ansah). None of the OTs are falling to us so it really will come down to taking a DE/OLB that has as much a chance of busting as Geno, or taking a guard that even if he becomes the best guard in the NFL, he isn't making the stink that we have at QB significantly better. Same could be said for the D lineman like Werner or Floyd.

We could barely score more than 7 points in half our games last year. Teams are already playing us very conservatively because all they needed was MS to turn the ball over.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Buffalo just signed Kolb to compete with Tarvaris Jackson, the Raiders are on the verge of trading for Matt Flynn to compete with Pryor, and the Cardinals are supposedly close to adding Carson Palmer to their stable of QB's.

It now seems pretty much inevitable that Geno will fall into our laps. And judging by the reports, guys like Mornhinweg and Bradway are in love with the kid.

Personally, I'd totally embrace it.

Geno may never be elite, but I've said before that he reminds me a lot of a guy like Matt Hasselbeck, and Tony agreed.

Don't think he'll ever be a star, but I can definitely see him developing into a respectable Top 15 QB for a number of years.
    Would have no problem with geno at 9 what reports did you hear that bradway and Marty love him

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Would have no problem with geno at 9 what reports did you hear that bradway and Marty love him
    http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000153196/

There are a couple of other sources that have reported the same

Thanks for the link

That's what Idzik wants. I bet he really wants to trade down and it's a smokescreen. Read that last sentence in the article. I think it's either passrusher first or Oline.
    Last edited by aagarcia; 03-30-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    That's what Idzik wants. I bet he really wants to trade down and it's a smokescreen. Read that last sentence in the article. I think it's either passrusher first or Oline.
    I bet what Idzik really wants is a QB for his franchise that isn't a total laughing stock.

He had a first hand look at how sh*tastic Sanchez is in Seattle last season.

We can only hope......Geno Smith may not be an elite prospect but he's just a notch below that.

He'll be gone though IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    You're forgetting about Jacksonville. And Philly perhaps.
    Or all the other teams picking 1-8 with the exception of Detroit they all need a QB. Geno Smith is the only legit first rd pick qb in this draft too many teams need a qb that are picking before us and it would be moronic for the Jets to trade up with all the holes we have.

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    We can only hope......Geno Smith may not be an elite prospect but he's just a notch below that.

He'll be gone though IMO
    I think Geno will be a good, not great NFL Qb. It scares me that he never played in a pro style offense in college and that he always had a great OL protecting him while he was in shotgun. The Jets' WCO will be a different world for him being constantly under center with NFL defensive linemen breathing down his throat.

The kid is accurate, mobile and intelligent. Had a great pro day supposedly but so did Duhmarcus years ago it's amazing how people can go crazy over watching a guy throw against air.

Hall Of Fame
    We're not taking Smith. He is not even going to be there but even if he was Idzik is not going to give Rex another young QB.

Quote Originally Posted by dinamite View Post
    I thought this analysis was interesting. The weaknesses sound a little Sanchez like (locks on first read/ regressed week to week)

Analysis
    Strengths
    Competitive, confident player who can lead a team with his physical attributes and willingness to work on his craft. Possesses a quick delivery, can get the ball downfield or move a team methodically by making quick decisions. Has improved his accuracy greatly during his career, placing the ball very well at every level of the field. Fires throws into tight windows over the middle while also leading receivers open on the sideline and showing touch on fades into the end zone. Generally keeps his eyes downfield and feet moving within the pocket to find a target instead of looking to run. Finds second or third options across the field if first read is covered. Tests defenses with his ability to get first downs and more with his feet, has speed to break off big runs and usually makes the right decision on when to take off. Has gotten physically stronger over the course of his career, is a tough player who will hang onto the ball after a big hit and bounce back up.
    Weaknesses
    Runs a spread offense almost exclusively from the shotgun, needs work on his footwork coming from under center. Ball will float or sail if his feet are not set or he fails to transfer weight, either in the pocket when facing pressure or when throwing on the run. Blitz awareness is only adequate, will miss guys coming free to his left and right. Will back up from pressure at times instead of unloading the ball or stepping up to make the throw. Seemingly regressed each week, especially when locking on to one side of the field. Did not participate in the Senior Bowl.
    NFL Comparison
    Aaron Brooks
    Bottom Line
    Though Smith has had his ups and downs as a passer in West Virginia's prolific spread offense, NFL general managers appreciate his ultra-competitive nature, athleticism, arm strength and quick delivery. The Mountaineer turned down a Senior Bowl invitation after regressing in the second half of the season following a strong start. Smith's eye level and pocket movement can be great, but he reverted back to staring down his first read. During his sophomore season, Smith played in an offense where he frequently took snaps from center, so he might have a leg up compared to some other prospects in that regard.
    Don't show this to Untouchable who says he's not a fit for Chip Kelly's spread offense cause he's a "pocket passer" lmao ... Not sure if he meant "under the center" or what but so many people here daily talk as if they are informed. Its scary .. most NFL fans I'm realizing have mastered the art of making poop look like a brownie. I still smell it ..

I thought this analysis was interesting. The weaknesses sound a little Sanchez like (locks on first read/ regressed week to week)

Analysis
    Strengths
    Competitive, confident player who can lead a team with his physical attributes and willingness to work on his craft. Possesses a quick delivery, can get the ball downfield or move a team methodically by making quick decisions. Has improved his accuracy greatly during his career, placing the ball very well at every level of the field. Fires throws into tight windows over the middle while also leading receivers open on the sideline and showing touch on fades into the end zone. Generally keeps his eyes downfield and feet moving within the pocket to find a target instead of looking to run. Finds second or third options across the field if first read is covered. Tests defenses with his ability to get first downs and more with his feet, has speed to break off big runs and usually makes the right decision on when to take off. Has gotten physically stronger over the course of his career, is a tough player who will hang onto the ball after a big hit and bounce back up.
    Weaknesses
    Runs a spread offense almost exclusively from the shotgun, needs work on his footwork coming from under center. Ball will float or sail if his feet are not set or he fails to transfer weight, either in the pocket when facing pressure or when throwing on the run. Blitz awareness is only adequate, will miss guys coming free to his left and right. Will back up from pressure at times instead of unloading the ball or stepping up to make the throw. Seemingly regressed each week, especially when locking on to one side of the field. Did not participate in the Senior Bowl.
    NFL Comparison
    Aaron Brooks
    Bottom Line
    Though Smith has had his ups and downs as a passer in West Virginia's prolific spread offense, NFL general managers appreciate his ultra-competitive nature, athleticism, arm strength and quick delivery. The Mountaineer turned down a Senior Bowl invitation after regressing in the second half of the season following a strong start. Smith's eye level and pocket movement can be great, but he reverted back to staring down his first read. During his sophomore season, Smith played in an offense where he frequently took snaps from center, so he might have a leg up compared to some other prospects in that regard.
    Don't show this to Untouchable who says he's not a fit for Chip Kelly's spread offense cause he's a "pocket passer" lmao ... Not sure if he meant
    "under the center" or what but so many people here daily talk as if they are informed. Its scary .. most NFL fans I'm realizing have mastered the art of making poop look like a brownie. I still smell it ..

Analysis
    Strengths
    Weaknesses
    NFL Comparison
    Aaron Brooks
    Bottom Line
    Geno seems like a great guy, has the physical skills and was a good leader for WVU, but when you look at the above as far as locking on to 1 WR and not stepping up into the face of the rush, those are terrible characteristics for an NFL QB.

Also, he played awful against syracuse in the cold and snow which does not bode well for a NY team.

Personally i pray we dont pick him.

I have no issue with Geno at pick #9... He's got more natural talent than anyone in this class or on the Jets roster.

Also, if Revis ends up being traded to the Bucks for pick #13...

Tavon Austin would be a no brainer IMO.

In fact I'm leaning towards him at 9 at this point as all these DE, LBer prospects have question marks.

You get these 2 guys, and maybe the Stanford TE in rd. 2 and this team will have reloaded at the skill position on O, and actually be fun to watch as early as this season.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Well taking a QB top 10 that doesn't work out doesn't cripple your franchise for years like it used to. I honestly don't know enough about him to make an educated decision, but let me ask you this... trade down bait? Do you think anyone below us might bite?
    The only way the Jets can really justify passing on the top QB in the draft is if they are 100% certain he's not going to develop into a quality player.

I'm not sure what to think of him. He had a great start to the season, but really leveled off after that.

I'd welcome him here with open arms and hope for the best though.

please god no

If he fell, then they should take him.

If he starts, it will likely lock in a top 5 pick next year. Which then opens up the possibility of Clowney or Lee.

Which I'm all for. I was going to try to get out of this terrible PSL, but if this were to happen, I could see some pieces falling into place to get Clowney, which in and of itself makes the team watchable.

Lee wouldn't be preferred, imo, but if Smith is allowed to develop with a bad team, something never afforded to Buttchez, then the idea of him, Lee, and Kerley would be something worth watching.

I still would love Lattimore in the 3rd or 4th round. Maybe a guard in the 2nd round.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    If he fell, then they should take him.

If he starts, it will likely lock in a top 5 pick next year. Which then opens up the possibility of Clowney or Lee.

Which I'm all for. I was going to try to get out of this terrible PSL, but if this were to happen, I could see some pieces falling into place to get Clowney, which in and of itself makes the team watchable.

Lee wouldn't be preferred, imo, but if Smith is allowed to develop with a bad team, something never afforded to Buttchez, then the idea of him, Lee, and Kerley would be something worth watching.

I still would love Lattimore in the 3rd or 4th round. Maybe a guard in the 2nd round.
    So let's use our low pick this year on a QB that sux so bad that it will guarantee us another low pick next year?

No way in hell he drops to 9. Even if for some reason the cards pass (don't give me that Palmer bs) some other team will trade up to get him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    No way in hell he drops to 9. Even if for some reason the cards pass (don't give me that Palmer bs) some other team will trade up to get him.
    Just out of curiosity, what team that picks behind us, is looking for a QB in the first round? Could be Tennessee or TB. But I would be highly shocked if either team took one this year. And I doubt a team like AZ or Buf trade all the way out of the first round with Jax or Philly's second round pick. Both Cleveland and Oakland don't have 2nd round picks.