Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: Welcome to New York, Geno Smith

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,722

    Welcome to New York, Geno Smith

    Buffalo just signed Kolb to compete with Tarvaris Jackson, the Raiders are on the verge of trading for Matt Flynn to compete with Pryor, and the Cardinals are supposedly close to adding Carson Palmer to their stable of QB's.

    It now seems pretty much inevitable that Geno will fall into our laps. And judging by the reports, guys like Mornhinweg and Bradway are in love with the kid.

    Personally, I'd totally embrace it.

    Geno may never be elite, but I've said before that he reminds me a lot of a guy like Matt Hasselbeck, and Tony agreed.

    Don't think he'll ever be a star, but I can definitely see him developing into a respectable Top 15 QB for a number of years.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Buffalo just signed Kolb to compete with Tarvaris Jackson, the Raiders are on the verge of trading for Matt Flynn to compete with Pryor, and the Cardinals are supposedly close to adding Carson Palmer to their stable of QB's.

    It now seems pretty much inevitable that Geno will fall into our laps. And judging by the reports, guys like Mornhinweg and Bradway are in love with the kid.

    Personally, I'd totally embrace it.

    Geno may never be elite, but I've said before that he reminds me a lot of a guy like Matt Hasselbeck, and Tony agreed.

    Don't think he'll ever be a star, but I can definitely see him developing into a respectable Top 15 QB for a number of years.
    Well taking a QB top 10 that doesn't work out doesn't cripple your franchise for years like it used to. I honestly don't know enough about him to make an educated decision, but let me ask you this... trade down bait? Do you think anyone below us might bite?

  3. #3
    You're forgetting about Jacksonville. And Philly perhaps.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Well taking a QB top 10 that doesn't work out doesn't cripple your franchise for years like it used to. I honestly don't know enough about him to make an educated decision, but let me ask you this... trade down bait? Do you think anyone below us might bite?
    If Geno is there, then there's no way I'd trade down unless we get blown away with an offer.

    The kid is the undisputed best QB in this draft class and after the moves made by Buffalo and potentially Arizona and Oakland, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league.

    Sanchez is totally shot, Garrard is broken down and hasn't played in two years, and McElroy is a career 3rd stringer at best.

    I really don't think you can pass on him, especially when he fits our new offense to a tee.

    Smart, accurate, mobile, and the kid is a damn fine leader who will hold his teammates accountable.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    You're forgetting about Jacksonville. And Philly perhaps.
    Shahid Khan has already made it clear that Gabbert is getting at least another year. I think either Jordan or Ansah is a lock for #2.

    I'm not buying Philly's interest. Geno is very much a pocket passer, not a fit at all in Chip Kelly's spread option attack. They already have Vick, Dixon and Foles.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If Geno is there, then there's no way I'd trade down unless we get blown away with an offer.

    The kid is the undisputed best QB in this draft class and after the moves made by Buffalo and potentially Arizona and Oakland, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league.

    Sanchez is totally shot, Garrard is broken down and hasn't played in two years, and McElroy is a career 3rd stringer at best.

    I really don't think you can pass on him, especially when he fits our new offense to a tee.

    Smart, accurate, mobile, and the kid is a damn fine leader who will hold his teammates accountable.
    The moves made by AZ, Buf, and Oakland are all just musical QB's. Or a QB carousel. They weren't any good on their old teams and they don't improve the QB situation of their new teams. He may be the best QB prospect this year but he is definitely not worth the 9th pick. He sounded like a dope in his interview with Mariucci who couldn't remember a play or progressions minutes after it was drawn. Looks like everyone is hedging their bets and hoping he falls to the high second round.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The grasp of Realityville
    Posts
    3,864
    This reeks of taking a QB just to do it.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,299
    We couldn't pass him up if he fell


    At least one of those teams though is still going to pick him as well as the hold the fort moves that they've made






    Ljr

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,722
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    This reeks of taking a QB just to do it.
    Not really

    It's a matter of value matching up with a tremendous need.

    I'd rather roll the dice on a potential franchise QB than one of these passrushers with a sh*t load of question marks.

    It seems like a lot of people are hating on Geno just because he isn't Andrew Luck or RGIII. But if he was that kind of pospect, then we wouldn't have a chance in hell of drafting him.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Buffalo just signed Kolb to compete with Tarvaris Jackson, the Raiders are on the verge of trading for Matt Flynn to compete with Pryor, and the Cardinals are supposedly close to adding Carson Palmer to their stable of QB's.

    It now seems pretty much inevitable that Geno will fall into our laps. And judging by the reports, guys like Mornhinweg and Bradway are in love .
    That sounds so close to true... and I used to love the idea until I saw that game in the snow in the Bronx.

    I wish we d just draft Warmack and set up a killer ol that will cover for whoever we have under center with a solid running game and keep our qb on his feet...

    This sets up idzik for a highly controversial pick either way!

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,722
    Also, it's no guarantee that we'll be in position to take Bridgewater next year.

    If he doesn't go #1 overall, then he'll probably be the second player off the board after Clowney.

    I could easily see teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, etc finishing worse than us.

  12. #12
    I thought this analysis was interesting. The weaknesses sound a little Sanchez like (locks on first read/ regressed week to week)


    Analysis
    Strengths
    Competitive, confident player who can lead a team with his physical attributes and willingness to work on his craft. Possesses a quick delivery, can get the ball downfield or move a team methodically by making quick decisions. Has improved his accuracy greatly during his career, placing the ball very well at every level of the field. Fires throws into tight windows over the middle while also leading receivers open on the sideline and showing touch on fades into the end zone. Generally keeps his eyes downfield and feet moving within the pocket to find a target instead of looking to run. Finds second or third options across the field if first read is covered. Tests defenses with his ability to get first downs and more with his feet, has speed to break off big runs and usually makes the right decision on when to take off. Has gotten physically stronger over the course of his career, is a tough player who will hang onto the ball after a big hit and bounce back up.
    Weaknesses
    Runs a spread offense almost exclusively from the shotgun, needs work on his footwork coming from under center. Ball will float or sail if his feet are not set or he fails to transfer weight, either in the pocket when facing pressure or when throwing on the run. Blitz awareness is only adequate, will miss guys coming free to his left and right. Will back up from pressure at times instead of unloading the ball or stepping up to make the throw. Seemingly regressed each week, especially when locking on to one side of the field. Did not participate in the Senior Bowl.
    NFL Comparison
    Aaron Brooks
    Bottom Line
    Though Smith has had his ups and downs as a passer in West Virginia's prolific spread offense, NFL general managers appreciate his ultra-competitive nature, athleticism, arm strength and quick delivery. The Mountaineer turned down a Senior Bowl invitation after regressing in the second half of the season following a strong start. Smith's eye level and pocket movement can be great, but he reverted back to staring down his first read. During his sophomore season, Smith played in an offense where he frequently took snaps from center, so he might have a leg up compared to some other prospects in that regard.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

    It seems like a lot of people are hating on Geno just because he isn't Andrew Luck or RGIII. But if he was that kind of pospect, then we wouldn't have a chance in hell of drafting him.
    He sounds like a dolt. REally slow football IQ.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If Geno is there, then there's no way I'd trade down unless we get blown away with an offer.

    The kid is the undisputed best QB in this draft class and after the moves made by Buffalo and potentially Arizona and Oakland, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league.

    Sanchez is totally shot, Garrard is broken down and hasn't played in two years, and McElroy is a career 3rd stringer at best.

    I really don't think you can pass on him, especially when he fits our new offense to a tee.

    Smart, accurate, mobile, and the kid is a damn fine leader who will hold his teammates accountable.
    It's an interesting situation... One of those "I'll trust my Front Office" moments. If they do their homework, and believe he's legit, then fck it. I'm in. I've seen great things from him, so I'll get on board.

    ...so long as he's not being chosen just because of our present QB laundromat. I can tolerate a year of mediocrity if we all know it's temporary. It's worse when you're in the phase of "is it the QB, or is the team".

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He sounds like a dolt. REally slow football IQ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtTs06mfBag

    Lol are you seriously basing that on this??

    He knows hes on national tv and Mariucci came like a bat out of hell, and I don't see how he sounds like a "dolt". He sounds fine to me... A bit nervous if anything

    Look, I dont know if he'll be any good or not, I don't pretend to be some expert, but lets just say I'm glad youre not our GM or a scout

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Shahid Khan has already made it clear that Gabbert is getting at least another year. I think either Jordan or Ansah is a lock for #2.

    I'm not buying Philly's interest. Geno is very much a pocket passer, not a fit at all in Chip Kelly's spread option attack. They already have Vick, Dixon and Foles.
    Hoping the light comes on for Gabbert in year three does not preclude the selection of Geno Smith.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Hoping the light comes on for Gabbert in year three does not preclude the selection of Geno Smith.
    Maybe so, but I still don't see them taking Geno.

    They need DL help in the worst way and will have the pick of the litter at #2.

  18. #18
    We're not taking Geno. If anything it presents a good opportunity to trade down.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    We're not taking Geno. If anything it presents a good opportunity to trade down.
    Im glad you can tell the future, let me know the power ball numbers while youre at it

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro_Irvin View Post
    Im glad you can tell the future, let me know the power ball numbers while youre at it
    You'll see. Also, when you learn to spell I might consider giving you those numbers. I see you continue with your lovely avatar. I thought Kelly would come out first.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us