Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If Warmack, Geno and Jordan are all there at 9?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    As far as the draft board comment, apologies, I thought you were referencing something like espns draft board.

Other then that, there are very few experts who think geno smith deserves to be a top pick. The problem is that GMs have to succumb, albeit somewhat, to public opinion when they make these picks
    Not that is means anything but CBS finally does have him as a top ten prospect as well. A lot of the nay sayers in the media have been back peddling on Geno. He is no Luck sure but he does look like a viable pro prospect. There is an old saying all it takes is one guy to buy. I was adamant the year Sanchez came out that no team would be stupid enough to draft him in the top ten. After the draft I had to eat a lot of crow when it was my own damn team that made that pick. Sometime logic doesn't enter the picture on draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Warmack.

It will be a miracle if he is still there.
    No it wouldn't. Highest he'll go is 9. No mock has him going higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    This. I can buy people not wanting a QB in the 1st round this year OK. But if your saying we pass on QB because of Mark Sanchez I dont see the logic. He is proven to not be very good. Expensive or not one GM just got canned for hanging all his chips on this guy last year. As a new GM would you do the same mistake or look for someone else? He may get 3 years to get it right burning his 1st year as GM would be more risky then drafting a 2-3 round QB. But if you have a chance at the best prospect in the class that is not an easy pass I'm sorry.
    Nah, if he picks Geno, he goes down with Geno, if he picks a D player, then picks a QB next year, if needed, that starts his clock a year later, especially if you think someone is better next year.

All Pro
    I'd be very happy with Warmack in the first, Hopkins in the second, and Collins in the 3rd. That would be a perfect haul for the Jets. Ertz in the second would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    Nah, if he picks Geno, he goes down with Geno, if he picks a D player, then picks a QB next year, if needed, that starts his clock a year later, especially if you think someone is better next year.
    Loosing teams fire GMs and coaches. He goes 2 3-13 years he is done. No room for waiting it out in this league. Tom Heckert helped turn the Browns into a viable team and was still fired because they couldn't win. Now they have a good D, a 2nd year QB, and a new GM to take credit. Before him they had 0 players on O and one of the worst Ds in the league.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Everyone knows how much I love Warmack, but I think you have to take the QB in this scenario.
    no, you're over thinking everything. There comes a point when the "right pick" no longer has that exciting lustre, and the grass begins looking greener elsewhere... Warmack is still a better pick for this team this year.

I like Geno, but IF he was automatic, IF he was a sureshot bluechip QB, IF he had huge upside... KC wouldn't have signed Smith. JAX would have told Gabbert to stuff himself. OAK wouldn't be talking to Matt Flynn. CLE wouldn't have signed Campbell. ARZ wouldn't be linked to Palmer, BUF wouldn't have just signed Kolb etc etc etc

Seriously, wake up. It's entirely possible he free falls into the twenties like Rodgers did. Or Quinn.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-01-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    Although not likely, whom do you take?

I'd still want Warmack for a few reasons. First, he grades out as the highest player in this draft at 95.9 ( Jordan 93.5 and Geno 88). Second, you can write his name into the starting lineup for the next 10 years. Third, It's a need. Fourth, he is a likely top-5 guard immediately.

Idzik will show me a lot if he passes on the others and takes Warmack!
    Warmack.

We need too many starters to wait on Geno to develop, and be our 5th QB, and we cannot afford to miss on our first pick.

No point in drafting a QB without a LG and RG anyway, lol, the poor kid would get ruined and we'd be right where we are now in a year or so.

Solidify that offensive line with this pick, shape the rest of the team behind and around it.

I hope Geno is there at #9, so we can trade down #1 qb in the draft some team behind the Jets may really want him.. Because after him at qb everyone else is 2nd round talent.. If hes not there at 9 there is really no point to trade down because we wont get much out of it..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    No it wouldn't. Highest he'll go is 9. No mock has him going higher.
    Several mocks have him going as high as #6 to Cleveland.

And if you're committed to building around Trent Richardson, then why not?

Warmack.

Safe pick that will contribute right away and be a pro bowl guard for us for the next 10 years.

Several mocks have him going as high as #6 to Cleveland.

And if you're committed to building around Trent Richardson, then why not?

Several? More like a few, and that'd be a terrible value pick at 6. Teams are picking in the top 10 for a reason. You don't lose 10 games due to bad guard play. Plugging a new OG in will not change the teams success really.

The Jets have real holes. OLB, QB, 2 Safety Slots, and a #1 WR. We have much bigger needs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    no, you're over thinking everything. There comes a point when the "right pick" no longer has that exciting lustre, and the grass begins looking greener elsewhere... Warmack is still a better pick for this team this year.

I like Geno, but IF he was automatic, IF he was a sureshot bluechip QB, IF he had huge upside... KC wouldn't have signed Smith. JAX would have told Gabbert to stuff himself. OAK wouldn't be talking to Matt Flynn. CLE wouldn't have signed Campbell. ARZ wouldn't be linked to Palmer, BUF wouldn't have just signed Kolb etc etc etc

Seriously, wake up. It's entirely possible he free falls into the twenties like Rodgers did. Or Quinn.
    All of the teams you just mentioned aren't exactly the shining beacon of decision making in this league.

I'm well aware that Geno isn't a "sure thing" otherwise KC would run that card up to the podium in a heartbeat ala the Colts with Luck last year.

If we're sitting around waiting for the next Andrew Luck, then I guess I'll see you in 2030. And let's pray to God that we have the #1 pick that year. Otherwise, we won't have a chance in hell of drafting him.

This team isn't doing dick anytime soon without a legit QB.

There's no guarantee that we'll be in position to draft Bridgewater next year and I'm not buying the Manziel hype train for a second. When the hell was the last time that a 6 foot nothing, 200 lb soaking wet QB went in the 1st round, much less the Top 5? Don't even mention Vick, who ran a 4.3 and had an absolute cannon for an arm. Manziel possesses neither of these traits.

And what makes guys like Boyd, Carr, etc better than the EJ Manuel's and Mike Glennon's of this draft class?

I have no idea where people get this line of thinking of "pass on a QB this year, next years class is so much better".

Based on what exactly?
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.

All Pro
    All of the teams you just mentioned aren't exactly the shining beacon of decision making in this league.

I'm well aware that Geno isn't a "sure thing" otherwise KC would run that card up to the podium in a heartbeat ala the Colts with Luck last year.

If we're sitting around waiting for the next Andrew Luck, then I guess I'll see you in 2030. And let's pray to God that we have the #1 pick that year. Otherwise, we won't have a chance in hell of drafting him.

This team isn't doing dick anytime soon without a legit QB.

There's no guarantee that we'll be in position to draft Bridgewater next year and I'm not buying the Manziel hype train for a second. When the hell was the last time that a 6 foot nothing, 200 lb soaking wet QB went in the 1st round, much less the Top 5? Don't even mention Vick, who ran a 4.3 and had an absolute cannon for an arm. Manziel possesses neither of these traits.

And what makes guys like Boyd, Carr, etc better than the EJ Manuel's and Mike Glennon's of this draft class?

I have no idea where people get this line of thinking of "pass on a QB this year, next years class is so much better".

Based on what exactly?
    Two things.

1 - that's a lot of critical huffing and puffing, but C'MON MAN... it's definitely telling when every. single. QB. needy. team. decides to make positional moves in that department before the draft. For you to discount that, and be all "well blah blah, bad teams, blah blah 30 years for the next luck" is just being incredibly naive and belligerent.

Think about it. No one is behaving as though their QB of the future MIGHT be in this daft. No one. Not JAX, Not KC, Not OAK, Not BUF, no one.

And I like Geno, but thems are the facts.

2 - It's not about passing on QBs this year for next year, it's about the state of affairs right now. We don't know what the hell's going on with our O, our WRs, our current QBs. It's just not a great time to draft a top end signal caller. We're not set up to groom and boom. I know you understand this, but you're on this Geno high right now, and you need to come back to earth.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-01-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Two things.

1 - that's a lot of critical huffing and puffing, but C'MON MAN... it's definitely telling when every. single. QB. needy. team. decides to make positional moves in that department before the draft. For you to discount that, and be all "well blah blah, bad teams, blah blah 30 years for the next luck" is just being incredibly naive and belligerent.

Think about it. No one is behaving as though their QB of the future MIGHT be in this daft. No one. Not JAX, Not KC, Not OAK, Not BUF, no one.

And I like Geno, but thems are the facts.

2 - It's not about passing on QBs this year for next year, it's about the state of affairs right now. We don't know what the hell's going on with our O, our WRs, our current QBs. It's just not a great time to draft a top end signal caller. We're not set up to groom and boom. I know you understand this, but you're on this Geno high right now, and you need to come back to earth.
    Again, what teams like Jax, Oak, KC, and Buffalo have decided upon means dick to me. There's a reason that most of them have been bottom dwellers for the past decade.

I'm not worried about the best pick for "this year".

2013 is going to be all about rebuilding or retooling or whatever the hell you want to call it. Basically, we aren't contending for a championship.

I'm all about 2014 and beyond.

I'm not even in any hurry to cast Geno into the fire if we draft him. Let him hold the clipboard behind Sanchez and Garrard for a year for all I care.

This teams QB situation is absolutely SH*TASTIC and if the consensus #1 QB in the draft falls into your lap, I don't see how you can pass.

As I've said before, I don't think Geno will ever be an "elite" QB on par with the Brady's, Manning's and Aaron Rodgers' of the league, but I think he can absolutely be an effective, Top 15 QB in the mold of a Matt Schaub or Matt Hasselbeck circa his Seattle days. Which is more than this team has had since the '02 version of Pennington.

Not to mention that he's pretty much an ideal fit for the WCO that we want to run. Smart, accurate, mobile, good arm, and is also highly touted for his fierce competitive nature and willingness to hold teammates accountable. Holy sh*t, what a breath of fresh air that would be.

Hey, if Smith and Warmack are both on the board at #9 and we decide to go with Warmack, you definitely won't hear any complaints out of me.

But Geno absolutely deserves the utmost consideration.

All Pro
    He deserves consideration. And he'll get it... but it's unlikely (IMO) that he'll be the best player available. He's a fringe 1st round QB. If he's groomed right, like the way Rodgers, Rivers, and a few lucky others, then he may end up becoming a difference maker.

I don't feel he should be a default pick if he's there at #9 though. Warmack would have to be gone, Floyd, Milliner, Star, Jones (depending on how you feel about his health) and even maybe Eifert.

Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    Im putting my money on the fact that Sanchez is going to benefit from a talented OC, just like he did with a talented O line, the first two years of his career. And im betting agaisnt the immature minded jet fan who changes their mind from game to game and forgets what this QB did for us. Im going OL with 2 picks in the first 3 rounds.
    Sanchez has not had one good consistent year in 4 years!
    He had 1 good playoff game in New England.
    And the defense held the Pats to 21 points!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So NFL scouts are giving their opinions to the press?

This is the problem with the pre-draft stuff, no scout is saying a word. Have you ever seen a pre-draft quote from terry bradway?

The people giving their opinions are draft prognosticators, former scouts/GMs, or beat writers - all of whom have an agenda of their own.

Geno Smith put up great numbers in games where virtually no defense was played at all. He is pretty fast, has a good not great arm, and is reasonably tall. On top of all those average numbers he struggled in his bowl game in the snow, is known to lock on to WRs and not go through his progressions, didnt play in a pro offense, so he is a DEFINITE pick at 9?

If Barkley is a product of woods and marquise lee - then what is geno with stedman bailey and austin?
    What's interesting about this comment is that the conditions really were terrible and statistically he wasn't bad - completed 68% - 201 yards, 2 Tds, no ints (a banner day for Sanchez in good conditions). Conversely Nassib who everyone felt outplayed Geno in that game only completed 48% - 130 yards, 2 Tds - 1 int...

The real difference was the running games, Syracuse could not be stopped.

The thing I like about Geno is that he's pretty good in taking what a defense will give him, completes passes at a high completion rate, and moves the chains... But mainly he's ultra competitive and calm and cool at all times.

I think he'd transition well into MM's offense...

Again, what teams like Jax, Oak, KC, and Buffalo have decided upon means dick to me. There's a reason that most of them have been bottom dwellers for the past decade.

I'm not worried about the best pick for "this year".

2013 is going to be all about rebuilding or retooling or whatever the hell you want to call it. Basically, we aren't contending for a championship.

I'm all about 2014 and beyond.

I'm not even in any hurry to cast Geno into the fire if we draft him. Let him hold the clipboard behind Sanchez and Garrard for a year for all I care.

This teams QB situation is absolutely SH*TASTIC and if the consensus #1 QB in the draft falls into your lap, I don't see how you can pass.

As I've said before, I don't think Geno will ever be an "elite" QB on par with the Brady's, Manning's and Aaron Rodgers' of the league, but I think he can absolutely be an effective, Top 15 QB in the mold of a Matt Schaub or Matt Hasselbeck circa his Seattle days. Which is more than this team has had since the '02 version of Pennington.

Not to mention that he's pretty much an ideal fit for the WCO that we want to run. Smart, accurate, mobile, good arm, and is also highly touted for his fierce competitive nature and willingness to hold teammates accountable. Holy sh*t, what a breath of fresh air that would be.

Hey, if Smith and Warmack are both on the board at #9 and we decide to go with Warmack, you definitely won't hear any complaints out of me.

But Geno absolutely deserves the utmost consideration.
    +1000000
    If the Jets scouts believe that Geno can be a good NFL QB, how do you pass?
    We have no QB!
    We are rebuilding!
    We are not winning a Superbowl in the next 2 years!
    I have no problem letting Sanchez start in 2013, but if he in his 5th year makes the same horrible decisions then sit his Azz on the bench & let the Geno Smith era begin.
    Garrard is DONE! Old QBs with bad backs don't finish seasons, & this guy hasn't even played in 2 years! That's a long time in the NFL.
    If we pass on him then I'm ok with the scouts decision but if we pick him, I'm also 100% on board & will look forward to watch his development under Marty.
    It's not nearly as hard to be a QB in this league anymore, all the rules favor offense.
    Ryan Fitzpatrick led the Bill to many 30 point performances.
    If the Bills defense was as good as the Jets in 2009/2010 they would have Also been in the playoffs both seasons.
    Last edited by jetster; 04-01-2013 at 09:13 AM.

All League
    A OG in the top 10, no less Top 20, is insane.

For those of you who think it's a great idea to draft Warmack at 9, I need to remind you all that a Guard is the LEAST most important position on a Football team.

Investing a prime draft pick on a OG is absolutely a waste. My fellow Jet fans, I am all for drafting the BPA at 9. But if some insane reason Warmack is truly the "BPA"...

!!!TRADE THE FOCK OUT IMMEDIATELY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Are you people crazy?
    If the Jets get a chance to draft what most scouts think is the best QB in this draft, Geno Smith & don't, then fire Idzik.
    Like Jon Gruden says, "in this new NFL if you don't have a capable QB, you can't win".
    Keep picking until we find one!
    We have got to keep trying to find a QB.
    Personally, I don't think he'll be there but strange things happen in the draft.
    As drafts get closer critics look for negative things, something to make headlines.
    The closer we have gotten to this draft the top 10 all have more warts, at least that's what the press is telling us.
    Except a guard?
    Well how much better is Warmack than Cooper?
    Now if we get Tampa pick at 13 then by all means take Warmack or Cooper, but I would still rather have Geno & Eifert.
    It's time to score some points & let Rex design a defense for a 10 point lead.
    Who's blocking for Geno? We lost Slauson, moore may leave...and even with them, our o'line sucked.