Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: If Warmack, Geno and Jordan are all there at 9?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So NFL scouts are giving their opinions to the press?

This is the problem with the pre-draft stuff, no scout is saying a word. Have you ever seen a pre-draft quote from terry bradway?

The people giving their opinions are draft prognosticators, former scouts/GMs, or beat writers - all of whom have an agenda of their own.

Geno Smith put up great numbers in games where virtually no defense was played at all. He is pretty fast, has a good not great arm, and is reasonably tall. On top of all those average numbers he struggled in his bowl game in the snow, is known to lock on to WRs and not go through his progressions, didnt play in a pro offense, so he is a DEFINITE pick at 9?

If Barkley is a product of woods and marquise lee - then what is geno with stedman bailey and austin?

This is why you pass on Geno!!!

All League
    Judging a QB on the teams that are passing on him is certainly quite foolish. It seems that every year players slip through. Rosthlisberger fell out of the top ten. I bet if we go back and look at the teams that were picking in front of Pitt that year we would find some bad QBs. Same for Rodgers. Heck, even last year with Wilson.

Just because Jax passed on Wilson 3 times during make him a bad pick.

Say what you want about the Jets, but they HAVE to come out of this draft with a QB that has a realistic shot of playing this year. If its not Smith, fine. But find one and you better hope he ends up being the best guy we could have drafted. Meaning if we pass on Smith and he lights it up and we end up taking Glennon or Nassib and they don't, Idzik will not be here long.

All Pro
    The signing of all these QBs have very little to do with whether those teams will take a QB or not. It is quite foolish to go into the season without the presence of a veteran QB on your roster who has actually played and won an NFL game.

The opportunity to develop something from nothing especially with so many new GMs in the league can be a career maker.Take the Bills for example, who have signed 2 QBs whose only experiences in the league has been of the negative kind.

Why would the Bills not want to draft a QB to groom.

I still say 3 QBs will go in the 1st round, and before the 15th pick also. I just hope we don't take 1.

All Pro
    All that the flurry of vet QB moves means is that no-one expects the QB's in this draft to start Day 1. If Buffalo honestly think that Kolb is the answer, then they're even more dumb than I thought.

Just like if the Jets think Sanchez is the answer , then they're even more dumb too.

Someone will pick these QB's high ... it's just not clear who. Makes for an interesting (and controversial) draft.

You can't guarantee the success of any particular pick especially at quarterback, but I have noticed that all quarterbacks play better when they can stay on their feet and are only asked to throw a reasonable amount a game.

Pick Warmack at 9 or trade back and pick him or Cooper a bit later, but fix the line first. The biggest knock ive seen on Smith and that I observed this year is a bit of panic when facing pressure...and unless we put some quality up front we re sending him (assuming he is there) or whoever starts behind center for us to slaughter...

Veteran
    I have warmed up to Geno Smith, I think he will have an okay to good career with the right environment but I don't think he is a good fit for the Jets. He needs time to adapt to the pro game and I don't think the Jets have the luxury to have him sit on the bench.

Every pick is a risk, I get that. Of the three, Warmack is the pick I want to take that risk with. I would be prepared to roll the dice on a QB in round two onwards.

All Pro
    The other 2 are better but my god you have to take the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    All that the flurry of vet QB moves means is that no-one expects the QB's in this draft to start Day 1. If Buffalo honestly think that Kolb is the answer, then they're even more dumb than I thought.

Just like if the Jets think Sanchez is the answer , then they're even more dumb too.

Someone will pick these QB's high ... it's just not clear who. Makes for an interesting (and controversial) draft.
    buffalo needed someone there in case the draft breaks wrong for them and they don't get a qb they like.

i can't see smith making it past buffalo so all the speculation about gino to the jets is probably for naught. the bigger question is, when the jets eventually get tampa's 13 pick for revis, will they manuever up/back so they can draft a qb at the end of the first round.

Veteran
    I go Jordan. I'd love Warmack, but I'd prefer Barrett Jones in the second.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    I go Jordan. I'd love Warmack, but I'd prefer Barrett Jones in the second.
    You could probably get Barrett Jones in the 3rd.

If Jordan is there I would take him, then Warmack and then Geno unless we have the #13th also then u have options.

Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    You can't guarantee the success of any particular pick especially at quarterback, but I have noticed that all quarterbacks play better when they can stay on their feet and are only asked to throw a reasonable amount a game.

Pick Warmack at 9 or trade back and pick him or Cooper a bit later, but fix the line first. The biggest knock ive seen on Smith and that I observed this year is a bit of panic when facing pressure...and unless we put some quality up front we re sending him (assuming he is there) or whoever starts behind center for us to slaughter...
    +1

Warmack has a better shot of falling to 9 and he along with Colon is a significant upgrade over Slauson/Moore. We got no push up front last year in the running game. If we get a dominant OL next season again we will shock the world.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    The other 2 are better but my god you have to take the QB.
    Exactly what the Oakland Raiders were thinking when they drafted Fat Duhmarcus over Megtron.

Of the guys above, Jordan has the hall of fame potential in my mind. Jordan absolutely won't be there at 9 though...

And Cooper is better than Chance. Better pass blocker because he is just better in space. In an era where everything is being spread out, being good in space is beyond important.

Geno won't be the best QB from this class either...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Of the guys above, Jordan has the hall of fame potential in my mind. Jordan absolutely won't be there at 9 though...

And Cooper is better than Chance. Better pass blocker because he is just better in space. In an era where everything is being spread out, being good in space is beyond important.

Geno won't be the best QB from this class either...
    No, Barkley will. But we can't take him because us fans will revolt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Geno and it isnt even close. G shouldn't even be on our 1st round radar we have real needs to fill.
    Real needs? You mean like replacing the two starting guards we lost so we can run the ball and protect the QB during pass plays.

Or are we going the Texans/Carr route were we draft our QB and let him get pummeled and fail.

QB is a waste to draft high this year none of the QBs are rated very high. You put in the infrastructure first then you draft a qb. Otherwise you are setting the new QB up for failure. There are no QBs this year that are so good you can't pass them up.

Without an Oline you can not pass or run the ball; both of which, as far as I know, are real needs.

With the new rookie pay scale we wouldn't be spending mega bucks on a guard drafted in the first. To be able to plug in a sure fire top Guard sounds like a good use of a pick to me. Every other player besides the big W has lots of question marks. People who stick with conventional wisdom/old wives tales get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Several? More like a few, and that'd be a terrible value pick at 6. Teams are picking in the top 10 for a reason. You don't lose 10 games due to bad guard play. Plugging a new OG in will not change the teams success really.

The Jets have real holes. OLB, QB, 2 Safety Slots, and a #1 WR. We have much bigger needs.
    So when the QB doesn't have time to let that #1 wr run his route because he was sacked or is running for his life. Remember your disdain for the Oline.

When that Qb is hurt and mentally scared because he is always on his ass or bent over in pain. Remember your lack of value for the oline. OLB has hurt us for years losing pace and thomas is addition by subtraction. Safetys? Which saftey would you draft in the first....?

To me its dependent on trading Revis. If we get Tampas first, we could draft Geno, and pray or trade up a couple of slots for Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMadman View Post
    So when the QB doesn't have time to let that #1 wr run his route because he was sacked or is running for his life. Remember your disdain for the Oline.

When that Qb is hurt and mentally scared because he is always on his ass or bent over in pain. Remember your lack of value for the oline. OLB has hurt us for years losing pace and thomas is addition by subtraction. Safetys? Which saftey would you draft in the first....?

I can't believe that some don't grasp the importance of a good OL!

Aikman, Smith and Irvin wouldn't be Aikman, Smith and Irvin if the Cowboy's didn't have a dominating OL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

You realize Warmack allowed only 3.5 sacks in 287 pass attempts last season and this was in the SEC. I don't know how you can do any better as a pass protector. Plus he's a mauler in the running game which Cooper isn't. This guy has All-Pro Guard written all over him.