Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buttfumble Revisited

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers View Post
    That is not the argument Maine and you know it....You said we would have thought 09-10 were the glory days had Sanchez not been the QB....He played better in the playoffs than the regular season while the rest of the team went backwards....Never argued anything else...
    When you find a QB that has a knack for winning in the 4th quarter and winning in tough postseason spots, you load him up with weapons and protection.

Instead, our genius HC stripped him of it all so he could fund the D and save his reputation. Ultimately, that's what ruined the Jets, not Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    When you find a QB that has a knack for winning in the 4th quarter and winning in tough postseason spots, you load him up with weapons and protection.

Instead, our genius HC stripped him of it all so he could fund the D and save his reputation. Ultimately, that's what ruined the Jets, not Mark Sanchez.

SAR I
    When you find this magical ability in a bottle, you come and tell us all. Mark was magical when the Jets' season was on the line until he wasn't, circa, 2011. Brady won his first 9 post-season games, a true legend. Now he seemingly can't win the big one. To quote the Joker, "what happened, did his balls fall off?" Or maybe the NFL playoffs, a single-elimination tournament, is one huge variance-fest.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    When you find this magical ability in a bottle, you come and tell us all. Mark was magical when the Jets' season was on the line until he wasn't, circa, 2011. Brady won his first 9 post-season games, a true legend. Now he seemingly can't win the big one. To quote the Joker, "what happened, did his balls fall off?" Or maybe the NFL playoffs, a single-elimination tournament, is one huge variance-fest.
    Mark was magical until all his weapons and OL and running game were taken away.

I don't have to argue this point. It is accepted fact.

Tom Brady comparisons? Let's take one of the Top 5 QB's of all time with the best head coach of all time and compare him to an undeveloped kid with the worst head coach in the NFL.

Brilliant. Do you have a comedy writer pen your material, or do you write it yourself?

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Ground and pound, once they released Fanaca (while still owing him$) and began bringing below avg run blockers Sanchez was done. Letting Cotchery go too was a bad idea, thanks Rex.
    Agree with first part. The Cotch thing is something we'll never know about. For whatever reason he flaked out right after Plax was signed. In the end he wanted more from the Jets than he earned. Wound up settling for even less. The Sanchez discussions will finally be moot after Garrard beats him out in camp. The Jets always had a good defense and below average offense. No team can survive going 3 and out vs the best QBs. That just happened way too often. Of course they folded. Anyone would.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Isn't it possible that the "called" play was a misdirection with a fake hand-off to Hillyard with a blocking scheme to match for the purpose of drawing the D towards the RG/RT gap followed by a quick toss out to Greene headed to the outside in the opposite direction?

I've seen the Jets run this misdirection under Schotty. Not sure if Sporano had it in his playbook (which you could fit on a 3x5 index card).
    Exactly. Greene isn't exactly selling a fake there, he looks like he is really expecting the ball and he had some room to operate. And if Hilliard is the lead blocker, why is he just standing there once he gets past Sanchez?
    Last edited by jxc; 04-02-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on record saying that Mark Sanchez is a bad quarterback but one who once showed strong promise and one who is battle-tested in high pressure playoff games.

As a fan for over 30 years, I've seen lots of lousy Jets quarterbacks who could never get it done in the postseason, so having one that can get it done in the postseason is a big deal. You wait your whole life for a QB that isn't afraid of the playoffs, at one point we found one.

I don't buy into this "fragile" psyche stuff. Mark has confidence, a swagger, and is merely punch-drunk from all the hits he's taken. I believe that he's got a 30% chance of becoming good, a 70% chance we've ruined him. And even if there's only a 10% chance of him being good, you give him that chance. It's just too hard to find a good QB, especially one who plays his best in postseason games.

In a year like this one where we're a disaster anyway, get him a new OC, get him some WR's he can trust and are NFL-caliber, see if he can bounce back. Fix the toy. Especially since there are no good QB's out there to draft or obtain in FA.

SAR I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark was magical until all his weapons and OL and running game were taken away.

I don't have to argue this point. It is accepted fact.

Tom Brady comparisons? Let's take one of the Top 5 QB's of all time with the best head coach of all time and compare him to an undeveloped kid with the worst head coach in the NFL.

Brilliant. Do you have a comedy writer pen your material, or do you write it yourself?

SAR I
    Magical? Really?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is not the argument Maine and you know it....You said we would have thought 09-10 were the glory days had Sanchez not been the QB....He played better in the playoffs than the regular season while the rest of the team went backwards....Never argued anything else...
    If your idea of better mean STARING down intended receivers and succeeding based on LOS dominance and almost all defenders commiting to stopping the run, then fine. You think that. I will never think that. His accuracy sucked just like it always had even in the regular season. His completion percentage was horrid just like all of his regular season games. He played terrible even by your standards in the San Diego game in 2009. The Bengals game in 2009, the Colts game in 2010.

But if you feel the need to interject with a sample of 6 games, then so be it.

I prefer to tell the truth. The truth tells me even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. But it certainly cannot be explained as a good QBing day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those doubting how horrible Sanchez is ... I submit the following as evidence.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Sanchez's should take Greene's old no. as a jersey no.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 04-02-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Exactly. Greene isn't exactly selling a fake there, he looks like he is really expecting the ball and he had some room to operate. And if Hilliard is the lead blocker, why is he just standing there once he gets past Sanchez?
    Sanchez messed up the play from the start and compounded his mistake by not protecting the ball on the fumble.

I think Moore is a victim of the circumstances by being put in a bad position alone against Wilfork, who could see that Sanchez had messed up and was headed his way. I'm sure Moore thought that Greene had the pitch and was headed the other way. He was probably shocked when Wilfork turned in his direction.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if Sanchez was actually trying to slide or was looking for a place to run and was startled to see Moore's butt heading in his direction.

That play was part of the most incredibly amazing 55 seconds that I can remember. It gave new meaning to me to the term "New York Minute"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    and what concerns me is that if they draft another qb this year, will rex learn from his mistakes and groom this kid or let the qbs rot again? at least tanny isn't there, they may actually retool the offense to help out.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

You make a valid point

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    and what concerns me is that if they draft another qb this year, will rex learn from his mistakes and groom this kid or let the qbs rot again? at least tanny isn't there, they may actually retool the offense to help out.
    What's the point of picking offense in the 1st round if the Head Coach has no clue how to develop an offense player. That's why outside of Warmack that looks ready to start there is no point in picking offense over defense. It's like a body builder that refuses to work out on his legs because all he knows is developing his arms.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    RH:

Take a deep breath and realize that none of this matters. The Jets have declared 2013 a train-wreck, pulling a Mets on us, dumping salary, dumping players, trying to get a completely clean slate by 2015 by which time we'll look like an expansion team, not one that was pretty good for 15 seasons.

The more Mark Sanchez sucks, the more perfect he is to lead our team for the next two years. Would be worse to have a great quarterback. He wouldn't compliment this pile of sh-t that John Idzik is creating. The only fun to be derived from this 3-13 campaign is the booing of Rex Ryan, the chants, the banners, the no-shows, the Daily News caricature covers, it's going to be epic.
    This is one of those seasons where you kick-back, spend some time with the family, mow the lawn on Sunday's, get some fresh air. The Jets aren't going to cause you anything but humiliation for the next few seasons, don't fret over the quarterback, it doesn't matter in the big picture.

SAR I
    The above would have to be the very most insanely idiotic thing I have ever seen you post. That's saying a lot considering it is you.

You know nothing about John Idzik, but suddenly you have the guy figured out. I guess the woods in NH have sent you over the deep end. Talk about arrogance at its very worst.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    If your idea of better mean STARING down intended receivers and succeeding based on LOS dominance and almost all defenders commiting to stopping the run, then fine. You think that. I will never think that. His accuracy sucked just like it always had even in the regular season. His completion percentage was horrid just like all of his regular season games. He played terrible even by your standards in the San Diego game in 2009. The Bengals game in 2009, the Colts game in 2010.

But if you feel the need to interject with a sample of 6 games, then so be it.

I prefer to tell the truth. The truth tells me even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. But it certainly cannot be explained as a good QBing day.

For a guy who was so horrible in the playoffs according to you how the hell did he put these numbers in his 6 playoff games...

95-157...60.5%....9TDS....3 INT....7.36 YPA and a 94.3 rating...In the Bengal game 2009 he completed 80% of his passes and for 12.0 YPA with a TD and 0 INT, what a disaster he was.......I am afraid you can't handle the truth....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a guy who was so horrible in the playoffs according to you how the hell did he put these numbers in his 6 playoff games...

95-157...60.5%....9TDS....3 INT....7.36 YPA and a 94.3 rating...In the Bengal game 2009 he completed 80% of his passes and for 12.0 YPA with a TD and 0 INT, what a disaster he was.......I am afraid you can't handle the truth....
    Once again, he STARED down receivers and never made any attempt to look off defenders, just like he's doing today. He still struggled mightily with his accuracy. He still had a low completion percentage.

What you're not realizing is what is not represented by the numbers. Sanchez was as along for the ride as I've ever seen. Defenses were so afraid of our running game, that they sold out to stop the running game. Use the bengals game as a prime example, if you look at the game there was consistently 8 and even sometimes 9 defenders in the box. The Jets OL had essentially created LOS supremacy. That left Sanchez to appear to be good because he could do exactly what I just mentioned.

For face value, I'd agree with you. The numbers at least appear to be good. But sometimes there's a lot to be taken from those performances when you actually slow down the tape of those and actually examine what Sanchez was doing at the time.

What's more is even while he's staring down his receivers like a guy fixated on a womans cleavage, he still could not throw the ball accurately. It's actually rather alarming.

Now call it good if that is what you choose. But it's easy for me to say that so much as a decent veyeran would have gotten us into the SB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Once again, he STARED down receivers and never made any attempt to look off defenders, just like he's doing today. He still struggled mightily with his accuracy. He still had a low completion percentage.

What you're not realizing is what is not represented by the numbers. Sanchez was as along for the ride as I've ever seen. Defenses were so afraid of our running game, that they sold out to stop the running game. Use the bengals game as a prime example, if you look at the game there was consistently 8 and even sometimes 9 defenders in the box. The Jets OL had essentially created LOS supremacy. That left Sanchez to appear to be good because he could do exactly what I just mentioned.

For face value, I'd agree with you. The numbers at least appear to be good. But sometimes there's a lot to be taken from those performances when you actually slow down the tape of those and actually examine what Sanchez was doing at the time.

What's more is even while he's staring down his receivers like a guy fixated on a womans cleavage, he still could not throw the ball accurately. It's actually rather alarming.

Now call it good if that is what you choose. But it's easy for me to say that so much as a decent veyeran would have gotten us into the SB.

I guess we will agree to disagree.....Protected the ball well also in the playoffs compared to the regular season.....Only 4 in 6 games and never more than 1 in any game......Besides I have my mind on my trip to your beautiful Pinetree state in May for a week chasing down some Smallmouth Bass....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the score of the AFC Championship game after one half was Pittsburgh 24 Jets 0. Sanchez did not put up 7 points in the 1st half.
    Your wrong.. Sanchez did put up 7 in the 1st half, but not for the jets. He fumbled and Pitt D returned it for a TD. That needs to be highly noted, because many like to look at the score and think it was the D's fault.. Hes always been a turnover machine..over past 2 Mark Sanchez has the most turnovers in the NFL. On a team who ran the ball a lot.. Think about that, how to you lead the NFL in turnovers when all you have to do most of the time is take the snap from center and hand ball to running back.. If we didn't lead in NFL in rushing attempts in 09/10 and instead threw it as much as other teams mark Sanchez would have broken a NFL record for most turnovers in 4 year span..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Agree with first part. The Cotch thing is something we'll never know about. For whatever reason he flaked out right after Plax was signed. In the end he wanted more from the Jets than he earned. Wound up settling for even less. The Sanchez discussions will finally be moot after Garrard beats him out in camp. The Jets always had a good defense and below average offense. No team can survive going 3 and out vs the best QBs. That just happened way too often. Of course they folded. Anyone would.
    Cotchery was a leader and adding Mason and Edwards didn't seem to help. Ah who knows.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Your wrong.. Sanchez did put up 7 in the 1st half, but not for the jets. He fumbled and Pitt D returned it for a TD. That needs to be highly noted, because many like to look at the score and think it was the D's fault.. Hes always been a turnover machine..over past 2 Mark Sanchez has the most turnovers in the NFL. On a team who ran the ball a lot.. Think about that, how to you lead the NFL in turnovers when all you have to do most of the time is take the snap from center and hand ball to running back.. If we didn't lead in NFL in rushing attempts in 09/10 and instead threw it as much as other teams mark Sanchez would have broken a NFL record for most turnovers in 4 year span..

You are right about the fumble but come on a little tough to fault him entirely there....Guys comes unblocked from the blindside if I remember correctly.......3rd and a million with little time left before halftime and were throwing the ball there, bad all the way around.....

Again not arguing about the regular season, definitely turnover happy but in 6 playoff games he managed and protected the ball much better.....9 TDS and 4 turnovers and not 1 game where he had more than one.....Pretty good ratio there don't you think for a rookie and 2nd year QB....

Again just talking about his playoff performance pro rated unto a 16 game season.....Would be 24 TDS...8 INT...2.5 fumbles....Obviously you cannot take those numbers that far but that is not terrible.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right about the fumble but come on a little tough to fault him entirely there....Guys comes unblocked from the blindside if I remember correctly.......3rd and a million with little time left before halftime and were throwing the ball there, bad all the way around.....

Again not arguing about the regular season, definitely turnover happy but in 6 playoff games he managed and protected the ball much better.....9 TDS and 4 turnovers and not 1 game where he had more than one.....Pretty good ratio there don't you think for a rookie and 2nd year QB....

Again just talking about his playoff performance pro rated unto a 16 game season.....Would be 24 TDS...8 INT...2.5 fumbles....Obviously you cannot take those numbers that far but that is not terrible.....