Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buttfumble Revisited

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
    I agree in most part to your statements but let me ask you. Can you fix a broken toy or is it better to just get a new one? Is Mark worth salvaging? The draft will tell us a lot because if the Jets don't draft offense in the 1st round they are setting Mark up to fail. Dustin Keller gone sets Mark up to fail. O-line is the worst it has ever been for Mark. He has no one in his corner...even the tattoo is fading. I hope Mark fixes himself because the Jets surely look like they are moving on.
    The Jets, after not winning the promised Super Bowl in year one or two, gave up on Sanchez by 2011. They had no intention of supporting him after their two chances at the SB were gone. All you need for proof is they let him be 'protected' by Wayne Hunter. The only quizzical thing that makes you go hmmmm here is why on earth did Tanny give him that extension. IOW - throw away the toy.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    NONSENSE. I've been a critic of Sanchez since the Atlanta game in 2009 - his rookie year.
    LOL

Everyone knows I'm far from Sanchez' biggest fan, but this is just goofy.

So you're saying that you gave up on Sanchez after a bad game in his ROOKIE season?

Then I guess you'll be giving up pretty damn soon on any QB that we draft in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The Jets, after not winning the promised Super Bowl in year one or two, gave up on Sanchez by 2011. They had no intention of supporting him after their two chances at the SB were gone. All you need for proof is they let him be 'protected' by Wayne Hunter. The only quizzical thing that makes you go hmmmm here is why on earth did Tanny give him that extension.
    Ground and pound, once they released Fanaca (while still owing him$) and began bringing below avg run blockers Sanchez was done. Letting Cotchery go too was a bad idea, thanks Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Isn't it possible that the "called" play was a misdirection with a fake hand-off to Hillyard with a blocking scheme to match for the purpose of drawing the D towards the RG/RT gap followed by a quick toss out to Greene headed to the outside in the opposite direction?

I've seen the Jets run this misdirection under Schotty. Not sure if Sporano had it in his playbook (which you could fit on a 3x5 index card).
    Sanchez admitted in his presser that he forgot the playcall. Forget any attempt to think about this play as anything than a farce. It happens. And it really shouldn't be singled out, because Sanchez made many, many, many more mistakes that were equally egregious last season. But the Butt-fumble is the talk of national sportscasters, radio talk show hosts, Alec Baldwin at the ESPYs, etc. It matters because it is the public face of the Jets, as of right now.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-01-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Every rookie QB should take their team to a Super Bowl and win it, just like it is done every year by every team with their rookie QB. He is not even a 'revisionist historian', he is in fantasy land.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

People are insane out here.....

Just WOW!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

So you're saying that you gave up on Sanchez after a bad game in his ROOKIE season?

Then I guess you'll be giving up pretty damn soon on any QB that we draft in the future.
    Thank you!!!!

The position posited by the other poster is INSANITY!!

Under his theory 98% percent of all NFL QBs would have been discarded, including most the HOF QBs!!!!

Absolute Madness!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

No, there's actually nothing goofy about it. But what is actually goofy is those that always think they know more about the game than someone else. That's you.

In Sanchez's rookie season he continued to make the very same mistakes again and again. Then Rex had to go to color cards to aid Sanchez?

That's when I started saying the Jets may have made a mistake on Sanchez. And that should be rather obvious to a football expert such as you.

No, there's actually nothing goofy about it. But what is actually goofy is those that always think they know more about the game than someone else. That's you.

In Sanchez's rookie season he continued to make the very same mistakes again and again. Then Rex had to go to color cards to aid Sanchez?

That's when I started saying the Jets may have made a mistake on Sanchez. And that should be rather obvious to a football expert such as you.
    But the Jets got to the AFC championship game again and Sanchez has more playoff wins than the majority of QB's in the league. Winning does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Yes, because traveling doesn't take its toll on teams.

Took some toll on the Giants when they went to Tampa, Dallas and Green Bay.....Again it really took its toll on the Giants when they went to Green Bay and San Francisco 2 years ago....

Jets had to travel all the way to New England and Pittsburgh....Scary, wonder why they even showed up!

The gameplan has always been the same from every team since he came into the league and even now. Sell out to stop the run and challenge Mark Sanchez to win the game through the air. He has NEVER done it.

Actually I can't even believe you are arguing this now. I'm sure you watched last season. He's been horrible throughout his 4 years in the league. He's a turnover machine and can even complete 50% of his passes.

That is not the argument Maine and you know it....You said we would have thought 09-10 were the glory days had Sanchez not been the QB....He played better in the playoffs than the regular season while the rest of the team went backwards....Never argued anything else...

I thought Sanchez improved a lot between seasons 1 and 2. I even thought he made some improvements in some areas (while not in others) in season 3. Don't forget that his rookie season ended with 2 good (and 1 poor) playoff games. His 2nd season ended on a good run as well, where he played very well in 3 of his last 4 games (the exception being the Colts playoff game), before the game against the Steelers which was decidely mixed (horrible first half/good 2nd half)

2011 was interesting, while watching him, most would agree that it didn't seem like he was improving much, he actually was a legit pro bowl candidate with 3 games left in the season (21tds 11ints, with 3 beatable opponents). Everything seemed to fall apart from there. There was still reason to believe Sanchez could have turned it around going into his 4th season.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers View Post
    That is not the argument Maine and you know it....You said we would have thought 09-10 were the glory days had Sanchez not been the QB....He played better in the playoffs than the regular season while the rest of the team went backwards....Never argued anything else...
    He played horrible in 2nd half of 2009 AFCG and horrible 1st half of 2010 AFCCG. He did do well in the other half of both of those games. But had he not played horrible in the other two half we would have surely went on to at least 1 superbowl. The defense equally had a outstanding half in each game, but the other not very good.. Mark did play better in the playoffs overall, but that's because he set the bar so low during the regular season. I hate talking about the old years, soon Sanchez will be gone and will go on to be a decent backup somewhere maybe..

What is there to analyze? There are only a handful QBs that have played the last few seasons that are incompetent enough to produce that awful sequence of events that unfolded. Unfortunately, one of them starts for our team....

All League
    Most embarrassing play I have seen in 30+ years of watching football, what a freaking loser.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Mark Sanchez has always had accuracy issues. Even before he was "ruined."
    So what? This again? The stupid Completion Percent Theory?

Last year, Mark Sanchez was 246 for 453 or 54%.

To get to this magical 60% level, he would have had to have completed 272 passes. That's 26 more completions. That's 1.7 more completions per game.

Anyone who watched the 2012 New York Jets who thinks that another 3 completions every 2 games would have improved our record from 6-10 to 10-6 needs his head examined.

We took a good 4th year quarterback and stripped him of his weapons, crippled his OL, found RB's that couldn't run, put WR's that no one ever heard of, and changed his OC for the second time in two years. What a shocker that he regressed. What a surprise it was. No one saw that coming when we broke camp in Cortland.

Give me a break.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
    I agree in most part to your statements but let me ask you. Can you fix a broken toy or is it better to just get a new one? Is Mark worth salvaging? The draft will tell us a lot because if the Jets don't draft offense in the 1st round they are setting Mark up to fail. Dustin Keller gone sets Mark up to fail. O-line is the worst it has ever been for Mark. He has no one in his corner...even the tattoo is fading. I hope Mark fixes himself because the Jets surely look like they are moving on.
    I'm on record saying that Mark Sanchez is a bad quarterback but one who once showed strong promise and one who is battle-tested in high pressure playoff games.

As a fan for over 30 years, I've seen lots of lousy Jets quarterbacks who could never get it done in the postseason, so having one that can get it done in the postseason is a big deal. You wait your whole life for a QB that isn't afraid of the playoffs, at one point we found one.

I don't buy into this "fragile" psyche stuff. Mark has confidence, a swagger, and is merely punch-drunk from all the hits he's taken. I believe that he's got a 30% chance of becoming good, a 70% chance we've ruined him. And even if there's only a 10% chance of him being good, you give him that chance. It's just too hard to find a good QB, especially one who plays his best in postseason games.

In a year like this one where we're a disaster anyway, get him a new OC, get him some WR's he can trust and are NFL-caliber, see if he can bounce back. Fix the toy. Especially since there are no good QB's out there to draft or obtain in FA.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Every rookie QB should take their team to a Super Bowl and win it, just like it is done every year by every team with their rookie QB. He is not even a 'revisionist historian', he is in fantasy land.
    The Revisionist Historian is trying too hard with this argument.

He lives in the woods of Maine. Lots of time to think about weird things up there.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

RH:

Take a deep breath and realize that none of this matters. The Jets have declared 2013 a train-wreck, pulling a Mets on us, dumping salary, dumping players, trying to get a completely clean slate by 2015 by which time we'll look like an expansion team, not one that was pretty good for 15 seasons.

The more Mark Sanchez sucks, the more perfect he is to lead our team for the next two years. Would be worse to have a great quarterback. He wouldn't compliment this pile of sh-t that John Idzik is creating. The only fun to be derived from this 3-13 campaign is the booing of Rex Ryan, the chants, the banners, the no-shows, the Daily News caricature covers, it's going to be epic.

This is one of those seasons where you kick-back, spend some time with the family, mow the lawn on Sunday's, get some fresh air. The Jets aren't going to cause you anything but humiliation for the next few seasons, don't fret over the quarterback, it doesn't matter in the big picture.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    But the Jets got to the AFC championship game again and Sanchez has more playoff wins than the majority of QB's in the league. Winning does matter.
    What RH doesn't realize is that the 2009 Jets were carried by their head coach and their defense but the 2010 Jets were carried by their quarterback and their playmaking WR's. By 2011, the D and the HC were so bad that the QB couldn't make a difference and without any weapons he was reduced to crap.

Like many other "players coaches", Rex Ryan breathed energy into a beleaguered Eric Mangini squad, brought a few decent Ravens over, and found a way to split with the Patriots.

The moment the loosey-goosey management style dried up and the moment that Bill Belichick figured out how to crush Ryan's D, the wheels fell off and it all went to hell. Ryan then loaded up his D at the expense of the O and that ruined what chance we had.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Most embarrassing play I have seen in 30+ years of watching football, what a freaking loser.
    Brandon Moore? Definitely. How he could let himself be manhandled by Vince Wolfork I'll never know.

Atrocious protection, never seen worse in my life.

SAR I