View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    62 36.26%
  • No

    109 63.74%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 201

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Have you ever seen him play? His D gave up 50+ points and 600+ yards of offense in all of his alleged "bad" outings. Many of which weren't bad at all, he just wasn't getting to play the West Virginia D too during the game.

    So many of our fans have really never seen this guy play and are just blindly quoting the occasional negative scout, but he really is very good. Gruden just had him on his QB Camp thing and loved him. Dude can make all the throws, has the height, arm, and athleticism you want. No player is can't miss, everybody has some level of risk.
    Yes. I saw him play in the Pinstripe Bowl against Syracuse (not exactly a football powerhouse). He looked like crap. In bad weather in NY he looked like dog ****. Nassib looked better. Not great, but better.

    He had an audition in the same conditions that we want him to play in, and he failed, against a mediocre Syracuse D.

    No thanks.

  2. #182
    People keep bringing up the one bowl game.....Yeah he didn't play that well but it's one game of his whole career, in a snowstorm might I add

    He played in plenty of cold weather games in WV and did fine

    If you don't like him, fine, but basing it off of 1 game is wrong

  3. #183
    i'll bump this up b/c it's relevant to the jets. the thing is, if gino is there at 9, he's likely to be there at 19. if gino slips to the jets, i hope idzik tries like heck to trade back. he could still get gino if he wants, but even if they don't trading back seems to be the intent of a few teams at the top.

    for all gino's flaws, he does have a very good arm and can scramble when necessary. just don't want him at 9.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'll bump this up b/c it's relevant to the jets. the thing is, if gino is there at 9, he's likely to be there at 19. if gino slips to the jets, i hope idzik tries like heck to trade back. he could still get gino if he wants, but even if they don't trading back seems to be the intent of a few teams at the top.

    for all gino's flaws, he does have a very good arm and can scramble when necessary. just don't want him at 9.
    And fumbles a lot. 32 fumbles in his college career. Small hands. Smells like cabbage.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    And fumbles a lot. 32 fumbles in his college career. Small hands. Smells like cabbage.
    yeah. i hope he's not there at 9 and i doubt the jets would take him if he is. idzik doesn't seem like the guy to take that kind of risk. jmo

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yeah. i hope he's not there at 9 and i doubt the jets would take him if he is. idzik doesn't seem like the guy to take that kind of risk. jmo
    He's not what the Jets need in this draft. There are literally dozens of players that will help the team more than this guy. He'll only create drama (not directly) to a team that doesn't need any help with that right now.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    He's not what the Jets need in this draft. There are literally dozens of players that will help the team more than this guy. He'll only create drama (not directly) to a team that doesn't need any help with that right now.
    I don't know how you can say this.....we need a franchise QB for the future more than anything else and it's not really close....

    If our FO believes that Geno has a pretty good chance of being that guy, we have to take him

  8. #188
    http://youtu.be/qvrXu9Fsvpk
    The good bad ugly summed up in this game

  9. #189
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,285
    Glad we're 2-1 in the "No" side on here ... Hope Idzik is of a similar mindset








    Ljr

  10. #190

  11. #191
    The National Football Post's Dan Pompei reports "many (teams) do not agree" with Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on West Virginia QB Geno Smith.

    PFW's Nolan Nawrocki ripped Smith's work ethic and demeanor, while also calling the quarterback a product of the Mountaineers' system. Pompei hasn't heard anything close to that, but a "couple scouts" suspect Smith has a little "con" in him while finding him a "little hard to read." Most personnel departments consider Smith a "really good kid" with "phenomenal work ethic."
    Red flags all over the place.

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I don't know how you can say this.....we need a franchise QB for the future more than anything else and it's not really close....

    If our FO believes that Geno has a pretty good chance of being that guy, we have to take him
    +1

    They shouldn't take him just because he's there, but if the scouts like him a d his potential then they should absolutely take him.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I don't know how you can say this.....we need a franchise QB for the future more than anything else and it's not really close....

    If our FO believes that Geno has a pretty good chance of being that guy, we have to take him
    Geno is the highest rated QB, so that doesn't mean that he's the best player that the Jets can draft at the QB position within the next couple of years.

    This QB class isn't good. In fact, "experts" and such (same people who analyze everything) are saying that there may not be a QB drafted in the top 10, which hasn't happened since 2000 (Pennington - #18).

    Why not take the sure thing. The Jets aren't going to win now, or maybe even tomorrow. Take those players and build a support system around whatever QB we end up having instead of what happened to Sanchez - not that it's a complete excuse for his poor play, but it's part of it.

  14. #194
    it's simple. he's not the BPA at 9. Pass.

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    it's simple. he's not the BPA at 9. Pass.
    Many sites have him as a top 10 rated player in this draft so your logic has a flaw. If he is the best player on the board for the JETS you take him it is that easy. No G is worth more then a good QB prospect and if he is on your short list you take him over an OLB, I am sorry. QB trumps all other positions in value.

  16. #196
    @MoveTheSticks: Not a lot of options for teams looking for a pass rusher in RD 2.Plenty of RD 2 options at every other defensive position.

  17. #197
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,613
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    People keep bringing up the one bowl game.....Yeah he didn't play that well but it's one game of his whole career, in a snowstorm might I add

    He played in plenty of cold weather games in WV and did fine

    If you don't like him, fine, but basing it off of 1 game is wrong
    Heard Mayock on ESPN,,the guy stated that Smith was laid back, not leadership like in his approach. there is serious doubt of his ability to absorb a pro offense and his work ethic is questioned.


    THAT is enough for me to pass......

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Many sites have him as a top 10 rated player in this draft so your logic has a flaw. If he is the best player on the board for the JETS you take him it is that easy. No G is worth more then a good QB prospect and if he is on your short list you take him over an OLB, I am sorry. QB trumps all other positions in value.
    And many sites have him rated as low as a 2nd round player.

    He's not highly touted like RG3 or Luck or Stafford even. He's not close to those levels coming out of college. There are better players the Jets can take early, and then can draft a QB of similar competency later in the draft.

  19. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    And many sites have him rated as low as a 2nd round player.

    He's not highly touted like RG3 or Luck or Stafford even. He's not close to those levels coming out of college. There are better players the Jets can take early, and then can draft a QB of similar competency later in the draft.
    I have never been real high on him but he is a Stafford clone. Stafford was no sure bet either. He is a risk no doubt but also has a pretty high up side. Personally I'd rather Barkley but I would settle for Smith and the hope he brings. Enough with this the grass is greener next year BS. Next years draft doesnt look better and people need to come to terms with that. Waiting it out for some unicorn doesnt help the organization as a whole. If the staff sees him as the best option in the draft to be a franchise QB you take him there period.

    As far as drafting a better player that is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe he is the best player at 9. We will not know for 2-3 year min. Your talking about going with the odds and taking a player less likely to bust. Well that is all good but every player has a bust potential. You pass on Geno for Jones and Geno becomes a franchise QB you just past on your future. QB is the most important position if you like him you take him over the more sure bet. There is no greater upside in a OLB or G then a franchise QB.

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I have never been real high on him but he is a Stafford clone. Stafford was no sure bet either. He is a risk no doubt but also has a pretty high up side. Personally I'd rather Barkley but I would settle for Smith and the hope he brings. Enough with this the grass is greener next year BS. Next years draft doesnt look better and people need to come to terms with that. Waiting it out for some unicorn doesnt help the organization as a whole. If the staff sees him as the best option in the draft to be a franchise QB you take him there period.

    As far as drafting a better player that is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe he is the best player at 9. We will not know for 2-3 year min. Your talking about going with the odds and taking a player less likely to bust. Well that is all good but every player has a bust potential. You pass on Geno for Jones and Geno becomes a franchise QB you just past on your future. QB is the most important position if you like him you take him over the more sure bet. There is no greater upside in a OLB or G then a franchise QB.
    If you like him, which I personally don't. It's all opinion there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us