View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    62 36.26%
  • No

    109 63.74%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 201

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    we need to draft nfl ready players. if geno smith is there and the nyjets are ready to hand him the football in 2013 then hell yes. we cant spend a 1st round pick on a player who will be on the bench i dont care what position it is.
    wait, GMC

    I thought you were in love with Teblow as the jets starting QB?


    why draft another when we have him?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    We don't know if Ryan Nassib is an NFL caliber QB until we surround him with NFL players and see how he does. Should we draft him at 9? Seems you're the one playing the know it all.
    Where exactly in my post am I playing the know it all?
    I'm pointing out the utter ridiculousness of calling players busts before they play a snap in the NFL.
    The same people claiming that Geno is no good had no effing idea that Russell Wilson, or Aaron Rogers would be above average QBs.
    Get me a guy that can actually throw a screen pass with FREAKING TOUCH & I'll be happy. Lets start with that, considering that Sanchez is probably the least accurate short/ or screen passer in the league.
    Hell, I'm hoping that Marty is a miracle worker when it comes to Sanchez, I just would never put any money on it.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Jets will take a QB in this draft just not in the 1st round. It's important to look for QB talent in every draft IMHO.
    I have no idea what will happen, but I do now one thing, I have no idea what will happen or how any of our draft picks will turn out, but the one thing I do know, we need a QB, & will never ever win a Superbowl without one.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I have no idea what will happen, but I do now one thing, I have no idea what will happen or how any of our draft picks will turn out, but the one thing I do know, we need a QB, & will never ever win a Superbowl without one.
    Truer words were never spoken brother

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    8,836
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I have no idea what will happen, but I do now one thing, I have no idea what will happen or how any of our draft picks will turn out, but the one thing I do know, we need a QB, & will never ever win a Superbowl without one.
    Queue the Dilfer/Marino & Kelly discussion.

    I couldnt agree more. QB: The sole position on a football team worthy of a mega contract.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,307
    Ummmm only a hanfull players in a generation at the QB position are truly NFL ready players when they come out from college....

    Anybody we draft would have a learning curve.

    This isnt FF!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.

  7. #27

    QB

    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Where exactly in my post am I playing the know it all?
    I'm pointing out the utter ridiculousness of calling players busts before they play a snap in the NFL.
    The same people claiming that Geno is no good had no effing idea that Russell Wilson, or Aaron Rogers would be above average QBs.
    Get me a guy that can actually throw a screen pass with FREAKING TOUCH & I'll be happy. Lets start with that, considering that Sanchez is probably the least accurate short/ or screen passer in the league.
    Hell, I'm hoping that Marty is a miracle worker when it comes to Sanchez, I just would never put any money on it.
    People are stating they don't think Geno is worth the 9th overall pick and want to pass on him. You're countering they're idiot know nothings and citing Mike Mayock feels otherwise, therefore obviously they're wrong. You're the on playing know it all. Personally speaking I'm not saying Geno is a bust, but I don't think he's NFL ready yet. I don't think Kolb/Palmer/Flynn make much of a difference on whether any of their respective teams will draft Geno in the first, but it does speak volumes on their feelings of Geno being ready to step in right away. The Jets don't have that luxury. If they draft a QB at 9 you can bet your ass the pressure will be on to start him on day 1. Considering NFL teams are clearly showing they don't feel he's ready for that by trading for mediocre alternatives like Flynn/Kolb/Palmer, are you ready to plug him in at starter here and watch another top 10 QB falter by our hands due to gross mismanagement of his talent or lack there of?

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    People are stating they don't think Geno is worth the 9th overall pick and want to pass on him. You're countering they're idiot know nothings and citing Mike Mayock feels otherwise, therefore obviously they're wrong. You're the on playing know it all. Personally speaking I'm not saying Geno is a bust, but I don't think he's NFL ready yet. I don't think Kolb/Palmer/Flynn make much of a difference on whether any of their respective teams will draft Geno in the first, but it does speak volumes on their feelings of Geno being ready to step in right away. The Jets don't have that luxury. If they draft a QB at 9 you can bet your ass the pressure will be on to start him on day 1. Considering NFL teams are clearly showing they don't feel he's ready for that by trading for mediocre alternatives like Flynn/Kolb/Palmer, are you ready to plug him in at starter here and watch another top 10 QB falter by our hands due to gross mismanagement of his talent or lack there of?
    OR, those teams think that there is no way that Jacksonville passes on him so they are planning for that scenario.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    People are stating they don't think Geno is worth the 9th overall pick and want to pass on him. You're countering they're idiot know nothings and citing Mike Mayock feels otherwise, therefore obviously they're wrong. You're the on playing know it all. Personally speaking I'm not saying Geno is a bust, but I don't think he's NFL ready yet. I don't think Kolb/Palmer/Flynn make much of a difference on whether any of their respective teams will draft Geno in the first, but it does speak volumes on their feelings of Geno being ready to step in right away. The Jets don't have that luxury. If they draft a QB at 9 you can bet your ass the pressure will be on to start him on day 1. Considering NFL teams are clearly showing they don't feel he's ready for that by trading for mediocre alternatives like Flynn/Kolb/Palmer, are you ready to plug him in at starter here and watch another top 10 QB falter by our hands due to gross mismanagement of his talent or lack there of?
    How is plugging him in right away to get experience and trying to coach him up as best as possible "gross mismanagement of his talent"?? I'm not sure where it all went wrong for Sanchez or who is to blame, but something tells me he just didn't have "it" in him from the start.....

    If Geno Smith had to take his lumps early on, well that's fine as long as he shows improvement and flashes here and there

    Gotta take Geno if he's there.....Even if Garrard or Sanchez has to start for a year, we need our franchise guy on the roster. He's one hell of a talent IMO

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    8,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    People are stating they don't think Geno is worth the 9th overall pick and want to pass on him. You're countering they're idiot know nothings and citing Mike Mayock feels otherwise, therefore obviously they're wrong. You're the on playing know it all. Personally speaking I'm not saying Geno is a bust, but I don't think he's NFL ready yet. I don't think Kolb/Palmer/Flynn make much of a difference on whether any of their respective teams will draft Geno in the first, but it does speak volumes on their feelings of Geno being ready to step in right away. The Jets don't have that luxury. If they draft a QB at 9 you can bet your ass the pressure will be on to start him on day 1. Considering NFL teams are clearly showing they don't feel he's ready for that by trading for mediocre alternatives like Flynn/Kolb/Palmer, are you ready to plug him in at starter here and watch another top 10 QB falter by our hands due to gross mismanagement of his talent or lack there of?
    While this is definitely the trend, i really think the Rookie salary structuring helps teams feel just a bit less pressure to start a 1st round pick day 1.
    JMO, but a top 10 pick 4 years ago would definitely be thrown in the fire because of the amount of cap room said player was absorbing, nowadays the financial obligation is less and hopefully that will give the high pick kids a chance to grow at the NFL level (if they need it).

    I dont like Geno's game. JMO.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    How is plugging him in right away to get experience and trying to coach him up as best as possible "gross mismanagement of his talent"?? I'm not sure where it all went wrong for Sanchez or who is to blame, but something tells me he just didn't have "it" in him from the start.....

    Gotta take Geno if he's there.....Even if Garrard or Sanchez has to start for a year, we need our franchise guy on the roster. He's one hell of a talent IMO
    If you think Geno is ready to start from day one then our debate ends there. I disagree with that and we're both entitled to our opinions. If you do not think he's ready now and you feel sitting him behind Sanchez or Garrard is the answer, please explain how in the world you expect that to be a possibility? Christ we had people screaming their heads off for Tebow all year last year, what do you think they'll do for a first round top 10 QB? It's just not a possibility in my opinion. If the NY Jets draft him at 10, he's starting day 1.

    I personally don't feel Geno is ready for the NFL yet. He struggled constantly against any top tier talent last season. There is nothing about his measurables that makes you want to jump out of your chair. He's a decent QB in my opinion, but his ceiling is not really in the upper eschelon in the NFL compared to his peers.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If you think Geno is ready to start from day one then our debate ends there. I disagree with that and we're both entitled to our opinions. If you do not think he's ready now and you feel sitting him behind Sanchez or Garrard is the answer, please explain how in the world you expect that to be a possibility? Christ we had people screaming their heads off for Tebow all year last year, what do you think they'll do for a first round top 10 QB? It's just not a possibility in my opinion. If the NY Jets draft him at 10, he's starting day 1.

    I personally don't feel Geno is ready for the NFL yet. He struggled constantly against any top tier talent last season. There is nothing about his measurables that makes you want to jump out of your chair. He's a decent QB in my opinion, but his ceiling is not really in the upper eschelon in the NFL compared to his peers.
    JMO but the NFL QB landscape is changing.....Kaepernick and Russell Wilson, even Tanneyhill are all similar to Geno Smith in some ways. No one thought Tanneyhill (a converted WR) and Russel Wilson (a 5 '10 mobile QB) would be ready for the NFL from day one and they both played more than fine

    I am not sure if Geno Smith is ready to start day one....That would be up to the coaches and how he progresses through the training leading up to the season......It would not be a stretch though for him to be ready considering the early success of other similar QBs in recent times.

    Also, the Jets need to do what is best for the Jets....not the fans. If they can't have the conviction to play who they want, we need new people to run this team

    To me 2013 is not a must win season.....We just need to improve our younger guys and build up for the future. If we happen to come together and compete for a playoff spot, that would be icing on the cake

  13. #33
    As Rex Ryan talks about in his book, it all comes down to how many of Geno Smith's high school and college teammates show up at his pro workout day.

  14. #34
    I think you take Smith if available at #9 especially if we can get #13 from TB for Revis which we could use on OLB or G.

  15. #35
    no, next years draft has three possible franchise qbs in it, definitely rather get someone in that one

  16. #36
    it's so tempting to take a QB like Geno...dynamic and someone to root for, get behind...but if he is not ready or not what we need, I don't want to be sitting here two years from now rehashing the same Sanchez threads with a different name.

  17. #37
    Watched a couple games - early, then late. Started quick, crashed and burned. Sort of like Sanchez. When he played dogs, he did well. James Madison, Marshall. Against the better teams. No so good.
    Jets need an OLB in the first.

  18. #38
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,516
    Nope. The guy has self admitted accuracy issues. No thanks.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    wait, GMC

    I thought you were in love with Teblow as the jets starting QB?


    why draft another when we have him?
    not gmc.

    again i said tebow was the best qb on the nyjets roster.

    are you add or adhd? please give me some excuse for the way you act on this forum. thanks

  20. #40

    calm down jetster............

    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    OMG!
    Reading these posts are funny as chit! Like anyone of you really knows who will play well at the next level.
    The same people on here calling Geno a bust already I can guarantee you weren't pining for Russell Wilson or SCREAMING to move up to get Aaron Rogers.
    seriously, EVERY FREAKING PLAYER IS A RISK!
    WE NEED A FREAKING QB!
    If the Jets brass & scouts feel Geno Smith is the guy then so be it.
    All you freaking know it alls crack me up.
    Mike Mayock thinks Smith would be a perfect fit for the WCO.
    He's accurate, can move around just enough, can make all the throws.
    How the hell does any of us really know if Geno Smith will succeed until you surround him with NFL skill players & see him play?
    He even took snaps from center before in his college career.
    I'll go out on a limb & say without a doubt he's better than Sanchez.
    Just a feeling.
    I'm not gonna go crazy if we don't take him but if we do why is it the end of the world to get the best QB in all of college?
    Let the freaking chips fall where they may but I honestly believe its much easier to succeed in todays NFL at QB.
    I want a QB every year until we find one. I can't handle another 44 years of mediocrity with 3 AFCCGs.
    you are starting to scare the rest of us. but, you are starting to sound like me now...............with any luck, if he is there at 9, the jets will let some one jump to that spot and take him for a kings ransom.
    Last edited by kennesawjet; 04-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us