Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 36.26%
  • No

109 63.74%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    you are starting to scare the rest of us. but, you are starting to sound like me now...............with any luck, if he is there at 9, the jets will let some one jump to that spot and take him for a kings ransom.
    I have no problem doing that, I just feel if the Jets scouts like Geno & he falls in their laps I won't be screaming about how stupid they are, especially if someone like Marty thinks he can make something of him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pass on Smith. Trade up to grab Bridgewater in 2014.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Pass on Smith. Trade up to grab Bridgewater in 2014.
    Why do people assume that Bridgewater is a "can't" miss QB prospect? Prior to the 2012 college football season Matt Barkley was the no doubt #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft and now he may not get drafted in the 1st round. Anything can happen. Going in to the 2011 college football season Quinton Coples was the #2 college football player in the country behind Luck and he wound up going in the mid first round. Anything can happen. Some people are putting too much stock into the 2014 draft and how good the QB class is going to be. I can show you a 2013 mock draft from before the 2012 college football season that had Tyler Wilson going #1, Logan Thomas going #2 (comparing him to Cam Newton) and Barkley going #3. Obviously opinions have changed quite a bit on all 3 of those guys in the matter of 1 season, the same thing can happen next year. Nothing is guaranteed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Why do people assume that Bridgewater is a "can't" miss QB prospect? Prior to the 2012 college football season Matt Barkley was the no doubt #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft and now he may not get drafted in the 1st round. Anything can happen. Going in to the 2011 college football season Quinton Coples was the #2 college football player in the country behind Luck and he wound up going in the mid first round. Anything can happen. Some people are putting too much stock into the 2014 draft and how good the QB class is going to be. I can show you a 2013 mock draft from before the 2012 college football season that had Tyler Wilson going #1, Logan Thomas going #2 (comparing him to Cam Newton) and Barkley going #3. Obviously opinions have changed quite a bit on all 3 of those guys in the matter of 1 season, the same thing can happen next year. Nothing is guaranteed.
    Very true. Plus, once scouts and NFL personnel guys start really looking at these prospects, their faults will be made more known.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. And on the flipside, let's say he does light it up next year - what makes people think the Jets will have the ammo to move up to take him? That whoever has the first pick will just give him away because the Jets want to trade?

Geno will probably not make it to #9. But I don't think anyone should be disgusted if he does and he is the pick. By the next time the Jets are in position to draft the top QB from any draft class, Smith's first contract might be up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    for all the gino fans, here's a review from profootball weekly:

Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on West Virginia QB Geno Smith rips the former Mountaineers star's work ethic and demeanor, and calls him a product of coach Dana Holgorsen's offensive system.
    PFW's Nolan Nawrocki is the same draftnik who shredded Cam Newton for a "fake smile" before the 2011 draft. Among many other criticisms -- accessible at the link below -- Nawrocki accuses Smith of being "Not a student of the game" and a quarterback who "does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire." Per Nawrocki, Smith is "not committed or focused" with a "marginal work ethic." The home-run sentence is this: "A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    for all the gino fans, here's a review from profootball weekly:

Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on West Virginia QB Geno Smith rips the former Mountaineers star's work ethic and demeanor, and calls him a product of coach Dana Holgorsen's offensive system.
    PFW's Nolan Nawrocki is the same draftnik who shredded Cam Newton for a "fake smile" before the 2011 draft. Among many other criticisms -- accessible at the link below -- Nawrocki accuses Smith of being "Not a student of the game" and a quarterback who "does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire." Per Nawrocki, Smith is "not committed or focused" with a "marginal work ethic." The home-run sentence is this: "A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room."
    Here is more from that report:

Nawrocki has now issued scouting reports for Geno Smith and Matt Barkley, regarded as the top two quarterback prospects in this year’s draft. And at a time when many believe Smith will be taken before Barkley, Nawrocki calls Barkley a first-round pick and Smith merely a “top-50 pick.”

Apart from Nawrocki’s critique of Smith’s mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith: “Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Nawrocki then makes a strong prediction about Smith’s future. “Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room,” Nawrocki writes. “Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.”

Smith will indeed be drafted high, due to the possibility that his positives eventualy will outweigh his negatives, allowing him to become the one thing every team needs: A franchise quarterback. If enough teams agree with Nawrocki, however, Smith may not be drafted as high as some would believe.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    but how many of these qbs in this class did we know about last year? Some guys have breakout years in jr senior years. Look at Sanchez, nobody knew who he was year before. ok not a great example ha but point is he wasn't heard of in 08, then is a 5th overall pick in 09.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Two NFL GMs would rather have Kolb or Flynn than Geno... That tells me all I need to know about Geno. I don't see this guy making it in the NFL. Geno will go the way of Akili Smith and Mark Sanchez... He is not NFL starting caliber.
    Well that is good reasoning. 31 GMs passed on Russell Wilson twice last year. And of course we are talking about two of the elite brain trusts in the NFL in Buddy Nix and McKenzie.

We currently have the worst QB situation in the league and it could be as bad as Indy's a couple of years ago. But their issue was due to injury and had Luck sitting there for the taking.

We had opportunities to bring in Kolb. We could have traded for Flynn. We didn't and I believe that it's because Idzik has found a QB in this draft that he likes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    We had opportunities to bring in Kolb. We could have traded for Flynn. We didn't and I believe that it's because Idzik has found a QB in this draft that he likes.
    i agree idzik is silent for a reason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Exactly. And on the flipside, let's say he does light it up next year - what makes people think the Jets will have the ammo to move up to take him? That whoever has the first pick will just give him away because the Jets want to trade?

Geno will probably not make it to #9. But I don't think anyone should be disgusted if he does and he is the pick. By the next time the Jets are in position to draft the top QB from any draft class, Smith's first contract might be up.
    If he's there at #9 and Idzik passes on him, he's in some ways staking his GM tenure on Smith being a failure. Because if we pass on him and he ends up great, Idzik will be run out of town sooner rather than later.

I still don't think he'll be on the board when we pick. We better take him if he is though. As you point out, how often in franchise history have the Jets been in position to take the top QB prospect in a draft? Not often, that's for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    If he's there at #9 and Idzik passes on him, he's in some ways staking his GM tenure on Smith being a failure. Because if we pass on him and he ends up great, Idzik will be run out of town sooner rather than later.

I still don't think he'll be on the board when we pick. We better take him if he is though. As you point out, how often in franchise history have the Jets been in position to take the top QB prospect in a draft? Not often, that's for sure.
    GMs do not lose their job because they pass on a guy who becomes great somewhere else, they lose their job for taking guys that do not work out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well that is good reasoning. 31 GMs passed on Russell Wilson twice last year. And of course we are talking about two of the elite brain trusts in the NFL in Buddy Nix and McKenzie.

We currently have the worst QB situation in the league and it could be as bad as Indy's a couple of years ago. But their issue was due to injury and had Luck sitting there for the taking.

Kolbs, palmer, Flynn are backups who have a chance to start. There are not keeping gms from drafting the top qb in the draft. What other gms realize that MT never did, its ok to have a good backup in the NFL. Good too have more than 1 option at the most important position. Especially if you don't have an elite qb. It is interesting Izdik passed on Flynn, seems he would have known more about him than other gms. I don't think he thinks Garrard is better than Flynn but didn't think Flynn was worth giving up 5th. Izdik really believes in draft picks, glad to know hes not going to be trade up Ho MT was every year..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the record, I voted no.
    I think it comes down to this simple point: If you think he’s the best player available then you have to draft him. Geno actually reminds me a little of Danny Wuerffel. Not physically dominant, surrounded by a lot of talent, put up gaudy, but never really wow’d me - especially in the big games. Smith is not fast, doesn’t have a killer arm and really benefits from two studs are WR. He will get drafted and an opportunity to put up some stat. Hell, he might even post a seasons above .500. I just don’t see him ever leading a team on a deep playoff run. Even against Cuse, when he was matched up another 1st rounder, he looked terrible. I just don’t think he’s the man.

I don’t agree with those guys hoping for a QB in next year’s draft either. Traditionally, players are hyped up in the sophomore/junior seasons, pursue the Heisman dream and quickly show why they are not the player we thought they were. It’s even worse for those who return for their senior season – those guys almost never pan out.

Lastly, I don’t think it’s likely that Geno falls to us. Sure the Bills, Cards and the Chiefs have made moves for their immediate QBs, but the consensus believes this is a developmental draft and I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those teams drafted a QB. I know they will sign their QB’s of today to a starter’s contract, but the life of those contracts are typically half to three-quarters the term. (5 = 3 years) Why not draft this guy now and develop him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    GMs do not lose their job because they pass on a guy who becomes great somewhere else, they lose their job for taking guys that do not work out.
    Not necessarily true. In an instance where you have the worst QB situation in the league (or close) going into the draft and you bypass the clear-cut top QB prospect after he "slips" to you, I think it would stand out more.

I'm not saying Idzik is gonna pass on Smith only to draft a bust. He can go "safe" with a guy like Warmack and always say he drafted a quality NFL starter. The reality is, no position impacts a game like QB. If we pass on Smith and he ends up being great, Idzik sure better hope he lands a stud QB in the 2014 draft. That's all I'm saying. I think the fanbase is willing to give him 2 offseasons to find a franchise QB. If we don't have our QB of the future on the roster by opening day 2014 season, it's not going to be pretty for Idzik....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Kolbs, palmer, Flynn are backups who have a chance to start. There are not keeping gms from drafting the top qb in the draft. What other gms realize that MT never did, its ok to have a good backup in the NFL. Good too have more than 1 option at the most important position. Especially if you don't have an elite qb. It is interesting Izdik passed on Flynn, seems he would have known more about him than other gms. I don't think he thinks Garrard is better than Flynn but didn't think Flynn was worth giving up 5th. Izdik really believes in draft picks, glad to know hes not going to be trade up Ho MT was every year..
    I agree that Kolb, Palmer, and Flynn are not guys to you want to bank your reputation on. But in all three cases, the teams have other QBs in house already, AZ specifically. Sure all three may end up taking a developmental QB in this draft. They are not going to be forced to take someone in the top 10. We on the other hand have not shored up the position. Garrard is possibly the worst QB pick up this far. So with no other option than to let Sanchez send the entire fan base into the draft forum prior to the first game, Idzik needs a QB.

Everyone is banking on the 2014 class. Well last year everyone thought that Barkley and Logan Thomas were gonna be the guys everyone wanted and look what happened. Next year everyone is banking on Bridgewater, Manziel, and the young kid from Oregon to be available. All three have multiple years of eligibility left. All three could get injured or regress back to the norm.

Passing on a QB with the hopes of getting one next year is an aweful big investment. And for the poster who said trade up for Bridgewater, no one trades up for a franchise QB. Washington was VERY lucky and it still cost them 3 drafts to move up 5 spots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Kolb, Palmer, and Flynn are not guys to you want to bank your reputation on. But in all three cases, the teams have other QBs in house already, AZ specifically. Sure all three may end up taking a developmental QB in this draft. They are not going to be forced to take someone in the top 10. We on the other hand have not shored up the position. Garrard is possibly the worst QB pick up this far. So with no other option than to let Sanchez send the entire fan base into the draft forum prior to the first game, Idzik needs a QB.

Everyone is banking on the 2014 class. Well last year everyone thought that Barkley and Logan Thomas were gonna be the guys everyone wanted and look what happened. Next year everyone is banking on Bridgewater, Manziel, and the young kid from Oregon to be available. All three have multiple years of eligibility left. All three could get injured or regress back to the norm.

Passing on a QB with the hopes of getting one next year is an aweful big investment. And for the poster who said trade up for Bridgewater, no one trades up for a franchise QB. Washington was VERY lucky and it still cost them 3 drafts to move up 5 spots.
    I do agree that banking on the 2014 draft and its prospects is a big risk, although moreso from the standpoint that you have no idea where you will be picking yet or if you'll even be in a position to grab a top QB prospect. That's what would make passing on Geno Smith at #9 very risky. I mean if Idzik really thinks the guy is not a good prospect, then don't take him. But it's a risk for him for sure. There are no guarantees on landing a stud in 2014 draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want no QB before the 4th round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I want no QB before the 4th round.
    How is that a strategy? So you're hoping to tank 2013 and be able to draft high enough to land a stud QB prospect in 2014? No guarantees there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    How is that a strategy? So you're hoping to tank 2013 and be able to draft high enough to land a stud QB prospect in 2014? No guarantees there.
    He is just happy with Sanchez. There are still a few who think he is still our future. I think most realize it is a long shot he starts for us next year. The question is who then Garrard, Elroy, Simms. More likely it will be a rookie and some guy we sign after final cut day.