View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    62 36.26%
  • No

    109 63.74%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 201

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

  1. #61
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    @nfl: RT @NFL_ATL: Scouting report questions Geno Smith's work ethic http://t.co/PoNP87OKrQ

  2. #62
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    i agree idzik is silent for a reason.
    Exactly what I am thinking.

  3. #63
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    for all the gino fans, here's a review from profootball weekly:

    Pro Football Weekly's scouting report on West Virginia QB Geno Smith rips the former Mountaineers star's work ethic and demeanor, and calls him a product of coach Dana Holgorsen's offensive system.
    PFW's Nolan Nawrocki is the same draftnik who shredded Cam Newton for a "fake smile" before the 2011 draft. Among many other criticisms -- accessible at the link below -- Nawrocki accuses Smith of being "Not a student of the game" and a quarterback who "does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire." Per Nawrocki, Smith is "not committed or focused" with a "marginal work ethic." The home-run sentence is this: "A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room."
    The same guy ripped Cam Newton with the same BS, ripped RG3 for various reasons but strongly implied he was dumb, lets just say he has a history of ripping high profile, ahem, colored, Quarterbacks.

    (I already posted the rest in the draft forum, but I'll repost it here since it's also fitting here).

    The bigger issue is that his claims are just laughably inaccurate. For instance, here's another article about Geno Smith which goes into depth about his film watching addiction.

    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

    ...and another....

    http://www.chron.com/sports/college-...rk-3924068.php

    Does that, you know, actual reporting jobs, sound like a QB with work ethic issues? What Narwocki posted is just baseless allegations, which are especially suspicious given his history of ripping similar, ahem, colored, quarterbacks.

    Or really, skipping the Senior Bowl is now a character flaw? Well, I guess every top 10 pick at QB over the last 20 years has a major character flaw then.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-01-2013 at 07:48 PM.

  4. #64
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely no way...


    The Jets need o-line depth, lost our starting NT and replaced him with a 33 year old 1-year rental in Garay, still have a CB problem, need a passrusher, and on and on and on...


    Quarterback is the least of our concerns right now.

  5. #65
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most important thing I want in a QB is fire. I want a guy that commands the room, and has guys staying late, and studying at home, and makes them want to do it. I don't want a QB that nobody listens to.

  6. #66
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The most important thing I want in a QB is fire. I want a guy that commands the room, and has guys staying late, and studying at home, and makes them want to do it. I don't want a QB that nobody listens to.

    +1 give me a guy with heart and fire

  7. #67
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The most important thing I want in a QB is fire. I want a guy that commands the room, and has guys staying late, and studying at home, and makes them want to do it. I don't want a QB that nobody listens to.
    You are talking about maybe less than 25% of the starting QB's in the NFL right now.

  8. #68
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Absolutely no way...


    The Jets need o-line depth, lost our starting NT and replaced him with a 33 year old 1-year rental in Garay, still have a CB problem, need a passrusher, and on and on and on...


    Quarterback is the least of our concerns right now.
    I mean... I don't really want Geno Smith because I'm not sold he'll be any good, but to say QB is the least of our concerns is pretty laughable. We have perhaps the worst QB situation in the entire league in a league where having a good QB covers up many problems on both sides of the ball.

  9. #69
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I mean... I don't really want Geno Smith because I'm not sold he'll be any good, but to say QB is the least of our concerns is pretty laughable. We have perhaps the worst QB situation in the entire league in a league where having a good QB covers up many problems on both sides of the ball.
    It's not getting solved with this draft.

  10. #70
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It's not getting solved with this draft.
    I tend to agree. As I stated with my post I'm not on board with Geno Smith. I was simply commenting on the idea that QB is less of a need than other positions.

  11. #71
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I mean... I don't really want Geno Smith because I'm not sold he'll be any good, but to say QB is the least of our concerns is pretty laughable. We have perhaps the worst QB situation in the entire league in a league where having a good QB covers up many problems on both sides of the ball.
    Look, we know THIS... We know that Sanchez was able to succeed when he had a strong running game to support him and a strong line to protect him. The Jets are going to need that no matter who the quarterback is (see McElroy and the 11 sack debacle last season). The Jets have completely ignored the O-line for several seasons now, so quite a bit of what occurred with Sanchez is directly related to that. Sure a lot of it is Sanchez fault, but the kid is obviously scared that he's going to get his back broken on every single play behind this line. The best bet is to get a solid wall in front of whoever is at the QB position this year, without that we are going to suck just as bad as last year or worse.

  12. #72
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Look, we know THIS... We know that Sanchez was able to succeed when he had a strong running game to support him and a strong line to protect him. The Jets are going to need that no matter who the quarterback is (see McElroy and the 11 sack debacle last season). The Jets have completely ignored the O-line for several seasons now, so quite a bit of what occurred with Sanchez is directly related to that. Sure a lot of it is Sanchez fault, but the kid is obviously scared that he's going to get his back broken on every single play behind this line. The best bet is to get a solid wall in front of whoever is at the QB position this year, without that we are going to suck just as bad as last year or worse.
    Fair assessment. I think where we don't see eye to eye is that I think regardless of our offensive deficiencies which certainly hurt Sanchez, I just don't think he'll ever be the answer. I hope you're right though.

  13. #73
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Look, we know THIS... We know that Sanchez was able to succeed when he had a strong running game to support him and a strong line to protect him. The Jets are going to need that no matter who the quarterback is (see McElroy and the 11 sack debacle last season). The Jets have completely ignored the O-line for several seasons now, so quite a bit of what occurred with Sanchez is directly related to that. Sure a lot of it is Sanchez fault, but the kid is obviously scared that he's going to get his back broken on every single play behind this line. The best bet is to get a solid wall in front of whoever is at the QB position this year, without that we are going to suck just as bad as last year or worse.
    We do? We won games but Mark has never succeeded as more then a below average starter in this league. He didn't even have Joey Harrington numbers here.

  14. #74
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Fair assessment. I think where we don't see eye to eye is that I think regardless of our offensive deficiencies which certainly hurt Sanchez, I just don't think he'll ever be the answer. I hope you're right though.
    I think Sanchez has been crashed and slammed too many times to regain his confidence in his protection at this point. Sanchez has confidence in himself, he just has no confidence in anyone around him, and that will be very hard for him to overcome if he ever can. The regression of the o-line is directly related to the regression of the quarterback. I hope the coaching staff realizes that and spends a good portion of this draft and free agency doing something about it for real.

  15. #75
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    +1 give me a guy with heart and fire
    pennington is not available....... And I would like to win more than 10 games.

  16. #76
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We do? We won games but Mark has never succeeded as more then a below average starter in this league. He didn't even have Joey Harrington numbers here.
    Well yeah, but he wasn't engaging in some of the outright outrageous gaffs and blunders that have marked his play the last two seasons either. He's very obviously suffering from a severe case of DOUBT. He doubts his protection, and has good reason to. He doubts his runningbacks, and has good reason to. He doubts the receivers he played with last season (short of Braylon), and has good reason to.

    You can't go into a game with all that doubt and put up big numbers... You just can't. I don't care who you are.

  17. #77
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The same guy ripped Cam Newton with the same BS, ripped RG3 for various reasons but strongly implied he was dumb, lets just say he has a history of ripping high profile, ahem, colored, Quarterbacks.

    (I already posted the rest in the draft forum, but I'll repost it here since it's also fitting here).

    The bigger issue is that his claims are just laughably inaccurate. For instance, here's another article about Geno Smith which goes into depth about his film watching addiction.

    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/190936841.html

    ...and another....

    http://www.chron.com/sports/college-...rk-3924068.php

    Does that, you know, actual reporting jobs, sound like a QB with work ethic issues? What Narwocki posted is just baseless allegations, which are especially suspicious given his history of ripping similar, ahem, colored, quarterbacks.

    Or really, skipping the Senior Bowl is now a character flaw? Well, I guess every top 10 pick at QB over the last 20 years has a major character flaw then.
    Agree. It's almost like this one guy is from the old school and can't accept the fact that black QBs can succeed in the NFL.

  18. #78
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Well yeah, but he wasn't engaging in some of the outright outrageous gaffs and blunders that have marked his play the last two seasons either. He's very obviously suffering from a severe case of DOUBT. He doubts his protection, and has good reason to. He doubts his runningbacks, and has good reason to. He doubts the receivers he played with last season (short of Braylon), and has good reason to.

    You can't go into a game with all that doubt and put up big numbers... You just can't. I don't care who you are.
    I disagree with the he has good reason to. There is no good reason for a QB to doubt every other guy on the field. It is a team sport. Even if the guys out there aren't getting it done you have to keep trying to hit your marks until they do to. When you start saying well he is going to drop it so I'll throw to someone else you are the one that should be questioned. Marks lack or confidence of what ever you may want to call it hurts the guys trying to do their jobs better.

  19. #79
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,721
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    +1 give me a guy with heart and fire
    Like Teblow? Talent matters as well as heart and fire. Y

  20. #80
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Absolutely no way...


    The Jets need o-line depth, lost our starting NT and replaced him with a 33 year old 1-year rental in Garay, still have a CB problem, need a passrusher, and on and on and on...


    Quarterback is the least of our concerns right now.
    There were 3 or 4 backups rated higher than the guy we had start 15 games last year. We already have 2first rounders on the Dline and a third rounder that needs to step up. If Ellis is the guy, I have a hard time thinking he will be the worst Dlineman in the league.

    It's a QB league. You either find one or you are on the hot seat. Taking the top rated defender in this draft isn't going to improve the Jets. If Rex is the defensive genius that everyone is calling him, why do we need to keep taking defense in the first round?

    As far as the Oline is concerned, I agree, we need replacements at 2 or 3 spots. Drafting a guard at 9 doesn't fix the problem. We can draft Pugh in the second or Warford in the 3rd and the left guard spot is filled.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us