View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 36.26%
  • No

109 63.74%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I disagree with the he has good reason to. There is no good reason for a QB to doubt every other guy on the field. .
    Really? Getting your head smashed into the ground repeatedly and speared in the back by the opposing defender isn't a 'good' reason?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with the he has good reason to. There is no good reason for a QB to doubt every other guy on the field. It is a team sport. Even if the guys out there aren't getting it done you have to keep trying to hit your marks until they do to. When you start saying well he is going to drop it so I'll throw to someone else you are the one that should be questioned. Marks lack or confidence of what ever you may want to call it hurts the guys trying to do their jobs better.
    This is easy for us to say, but we haven't been crashed to the turf by any 360 pound monsters either. If that happens to you a whole bunch of times, and you get up with a stinger in your neck or a back that feels like you've been run over by a car, if affects you psychologically and you don't want it to happen again. It makes you throw the ball away sooner than you'de like, it makes you want to look over your shoulder to see if a badass DE is gonna take your head off again, it messes you up psychologically, and yes it does make you question all the guys around you.

The kid is psychologically damaged at this point, and it's going to take quite an effort from the Jets to fix that, but I'm not sure they can.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Really? Getting your head smashed into the ground repeatedly and speared in the back by the opposing defender isn't a 'good' reason?
    Mark has never had a bad line. There are a lot of QBs that get hit more then he has and have never given up on their team. If that is his mentality then maybe he doesn't have what it takes to play as a pro. You can scream David Carr all you want but facts are Mark has never been behind a truly awful line. Do you see Jack Cutler and Aaron Rodgers quitting after they take a beating? That is a mind set and if he has taken a beating where he is physically unable to play then guess what he shouldn't be out there anyway. Pro QB dont quit they get out their and keep giving it their all. I wasnt a Kelly fan but please go back and watch tapes on his last few years. He was a walking dead man and still went threw the motions and tried to make plays That is why we pay these guys so much. Sorry may see heartless but it is true. If this where flag football I'd agree with you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    This is easy for us to say, but we haven't been crashed to the turf by any 360 pound monsters either. If that happens to you a whole bunch of times, and you get up with a stinger in your neck or a back that feels like you've been run over by a car, if affects you psychologically and you don't want it to happen again. It makes you throw the ball away sooner than you'de like, it makes you want to look over your shoulder to see if a badass DE is gonna take your head off again, it messes you up psychologically, and yes it does make you question all the guys around you.

The kid is psychologically damaged at this point, and it's going to take quite an effort from the Jets to fix that, but I'm not sure they can.
    Ummmm if people on this board were just pushed to the ground say 7 times to the carpet in their living rooms by some 300 pound monster for 2 consecutive weeks they would be gun shy in getting up from the floor!!!

But these same posters know what it is like to be hit by DL etc unobstructed in the NFL...Right!!!

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron Rodgers was sacked 17 more times then Sanchez last year. And actually out of the 9 other guys who were sacked more then Sanchez last year 8 of them had a much better season and the other one was Tannehill who put up better numbers then Sanchez as well. So seriously, cry me a f*cking river. Some of the worst throws he made last year were when he had zero pressure on him. He is just way too inconsistent and way to inaccurate to ever be anything but a bottom 1/3rd of the league starting QB. Throwing the football with touch can not be taught. I'm tired of people making excuses for Sanchez, I used to be one of them prior to last season but I can't do it anymore. He was in his 4th year in the league and he should be confident in his ability to make the people around him better and he obviously was never able to do that. Andrew Luck, a rookie, had a worse offensive line, comparable RB's, comparable TE, the only advantage he had was Wayne. He made a 5'9" rookie 3rd round pick in TY Hilton look very good. He had 50 catches for almost 900 yards. Blaming other people for Sanchez being wildly terrible and inconsistent is a joke at this point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummmm if people on this board were just pushed to the ground say 7 times to the carpet in their living rooms by some 300 pound monster for 2 consecutive weeks they would be gun shy in getting up from the floor!!!

But these same posters know what it is like to be hit by DL etc unobstructed in the NFL...Right!!!
    Hey I'm not lying here I am 140 lbs and wouldnt get up after one hit. That is why I dont play the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I'm not lying here I am 140 lbs and wouldnt get up after one hit. That is why I dont play the game.
    Me and you both brother!!!! Me and you both!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Me and you both brother!!!! Me and you both!!!
    You make a great point. Sanchez has had a ton of hits, more than a few that should have been flagged. Many have been fined.

Don't blame the guy. But like Vinny in 2002, once they get gun shy, they are done. If Sanchez is going to be anything in this league, he needs to hold a clipboard for at least a season.

That said, plenty of QBs not named Brady take hits (Schaub for one) and they aren't the 35 th ranked QB.

It's time to move on and Garrard hasn't shown anything since his release from Jax two years ago. He is too old to come back from that long of an absence, let alone learn MM's WCO play book.

We are between a rock and a hard place. Do you remember 2005 with Bollinger? We are risking an entire season of that kind of play from our QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    If Smith doesn't get taken early, then it'll have a knock on effect down the draft at QB. I'd say pass - there will be better options at 9 - and see who's there in later rounds.
    BINGO

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark has never had a bad line. There are a lot of QBs that get hit more then he has and have never given up on their team. If that is his mentality then maybe he doesn't have what it takes to play as a pro. You can scream David Carr all you want but facts are Mark has never been behind a truly awful line. Do you see Jack Cutler and Aaron Rodgers quitting after they take a beating? That is a mind set and if he has taken a beating where he is physically unable to play then guess what he shouldn't be out there anyway. Pro QB dont quit they get out their and keep giving it their all. I wasnt a Kelly fan but please go back and watch tapes on his last few years. He was a walking dead man and still went threw the motions and tried to make plays That is why we pay these guys so much. Sorry may see heartless but it is true. If this where flag football I'd agree with you.

What??? LOL! What do you call THIS??? Perhaps you forgot about Wayne F___ing Hunter??? The line two years ago was PUTRID! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLpimht0tUM

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Sanchez has been crashed and slammed too many times to regain his confidence in his protection at this point. Sanchez has confidence in himself, he just has no confidence in anyone around him, and that will be very hard for him to overcome if he ever can. The regression of the o-line is directly related to the regression of the quarterback. I hope the coaching staff realizes that and spends a good portion of this draft and free agency doing something about it for real.
    I would dispute this. last year there were several times where Sanchez waited too long to make the throw as he waited till his guy was WIDE OPEN - that's not doubting his WR, or the protection, it's doubting his own ability to make a tight throw. He feared the turnover more than anything, but the more he thought about not screwing up ... the more he screwed up.

A confident QB makes the difficult throw when it is there - he doesn't wait and wait for the easy throw.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would take him,

i'd take a qb every year from rds 1-4 until we hit one we are satisfied with...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street View Post
    No.

No more question mark picks.

It works for some teams but not us.
    These guys are all question marks... And that is coming from someone who follows the draft all year.

Some of these guys have less of a chance to fail, but that's as far as you can go. It just comes down to predicting what you think a player will turn into as a pro, and believing it.

I think Geno will not be a good QB in the NFL. I think his best case scenario is as an OK QB.

The QB I think who has the best chance at being legitimately a very good NFL QB of this group is EJ Manuel. Especially in the right system. His only weakness in my mind is the 20 yard types of throws. He has an odd, short armed release that might hurt him in that range but it is something correctable.

He is unbelievable at dealing with the rush and that is beyond important in the NFL. The bottom line is that you are going to have free runners coming at you from time to time. Sanchez typically just ducks and takes the hit. A subtle move opens up the entire play. Most of these defensive linemen aren't athletic enough to adjust to those subtle moves.

If Nassib could just figure out how to throw a deep ball he could be very good but otherwise I see him being another Fitzpatrick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    These guys are all question marks... And that is coming from someone who follows the draft all year.

Some of these guys have less of a chance to fail, but that's as far as you can go. It just comes down to predicting what you think a player will turn into as a pro, and believing it.

I think Geno will not be a good QB in the NFL. I think his best case scenario is as an OK QB.

The QB I think who has the best chance at being legitimately a very good NFL QB of this group is EJ Manuel. Especially in the right system. His only weakness in my mind is the 20 yard types of throws. He has an odd, short armed release that might hurt him in that range but it is something correctable.

He is unbelievable at dealing with the rush and that is beyond important in the NFL. The bottom line is that you are going to have free runners coming at you from time to time. Sanchez typically just ducks and takes the hit. A subtle move opens up the entire play. Most of these defensive linemen aren't athletic enough to adjust to those subtle moves.

If Nassib could just figure out how to throw a deep ball he could be very good but otherwise I see him being another Fitzpatrick.
    i would be fine if the jets got manuel but i prefer nassib. the thing with nassib is that he's accurate in the short and intermediate area, and that's key for the WCO. nassib isn't fitz b/c fitz wasn't accurate. most throws are less than 25 yards anyway. i'd rather have a qb who can hit those throws with regularity. how many drives have stalled in the past 4 years b/c sanchez couldn't hit a guy on an 8 yard slant?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm amazed that 52 people voted yes.

Geno Smith is a system QB with a sh!tty work ethic. Let's not set this franchise back another 5 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    BFeldmanCBS9:53am via web
    .@jrc233 @SC_DougFarrar The work ethic knock on Geno is total BS. He spent more hours in WVU FB bldg after midnight than the custodial crew
    Bruce Feldman - CBS Sports

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post

Geno Smith is a system QB with a sh!tty work ethic. Let's not set this franchise back another 5 years.
    we are vurnerable for any qb other than sanchez. a change any change.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post

The only astouning thing is that it's not 90-10 yes.

Make no mistake, if Geno Smith is on the board at 9, no other names are even in consideration for the Jets. They'll be sprinting that card up to the podium.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets are in a position where the consensus top rated quarterback drops into their laps at #9, they have to give the pick some very serious consideration. It is a huge position of need at the most important position in sports. This opportunity does not come around very often.

It's all going to come down to how Smith is rated on the Jets board at the time of the pick. In all likelihood, Smith is not going to drop this far.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The only astouning thing is that it's not 90-10 yes.

Make no mistake, if Geno Smith is on the board at 9, no other names are even in consideration for the Jets. They'll be sprinting that card up to the podium.
    Geno Smith is a bigger QB farce than Sanchez. Make no mistake. I wouldn't select that hack in the 3rd round, let alone the 1st round.

Anybody who's watched college football and is worth their salt in analyzing college talent knows there are no franchise QBs in the 2013 draft. The same goes for Nassib, Barkely, EJ Manuel or any other 2013 QB prospect.

Let's hope Idzik can ascertain the same conclusion.