View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 36.26%
  • No

109 63.74%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and research Nawrocki's reports. You claiming he is a racist is lazy and ignorant. Other scouts said similar things about Newton and other scouts said similar things about Smith.

And as far as believing every negative thing about a prospect, you do realize that every prospect have negatives, there is no perfect player, so if you are waiting for 100% clean, no fault prospect to pick at 9 then you will be waiting for a long time.
    What other scouts challenged Smith's work ethic? There were numerous articles written about him both during and after the season regarding how hard he studied film and how he modeled aspects of his game off of game tape he watched from guys like Rodgers and Brees. His coaching staff and teammates are on record about what a hard worker he is, this was even way before the NFL scouting process. The statement that he isn't a hard worker simply has zero basis and was written to make headlines. Realistically, in other industries and almost any type of business, Nawrocki could face liability for writing such unfounded statements.

Defending the scouting report is pretty ridiculous. It may not be racism, but it's a completely unfair analysis likely written from some type of personal animus towards the player. My initial thought, having followed Smith pretty closely as a player the past 2 seasons, was that the comments were potentially racially motivated because they were so off the wall. I don't think it requires a large leap to have that suspicion when you consider the source and the surrounding circumstances
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 04-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post

Defending the scouting report is pretty ridiculous. It may not be racism, but it's a completely unfair analysis likely written from some type of personal animus towards the player.
    How do you know who he has or hasn't spoken to? From what I hear he has a ton of connections in the NFL and he may be getting this vibe from scouts who spoke to Geno.

Either way, its funny that you are calling him out for making unfounded claims, yet you have no problem suggesting that he has a "personal animus" towards a player without any proof.

All Pro
    Gotta be a least a little concerned... like enough to sigh Alex Smith, or Kolb, or trade for Palmer... oh yea. everyone ahead of us did that already.

Geno Smith - QB - Player
    NFL Network's Mike Mayock said he would definitely not take West Virginia QB Geno Smith in the top-ten picks.
    Instead, Mayock says he'd "pound the table" for Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki, who penned a scathing scouting report on Smith. "It's absolutely the football side," Mayock said. "Talk about the football issues: First of all, ball security, ties into the pocket awareness. Whatever that number is, 30, 32 fumbles in his career, he has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. ... Deep ball accuracy: I put a reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns, wide open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew. He stares down receivers and he throws the football late, so there's a lack of anticipation and timing."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Gotta be a least a little concerned... like enough to sigh Alex Smith, or Kolb, or trade for Palmer... oh yea. everyone ahead of us did that already.
    Agreed. What Mayo k said was legit. Dude has small hands. What Mayo k did not say was that his work ethic and leadership was lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Agreed. What Mayo k said was legit. Dude has small hands. What Mayo k did not say was that his work ethic and leadership was lacking.
    when you read what they say about gino's pocket presense it sounds like sanchez. can't read defenses, holds onto ball too long, fumbles, etc. why draft another guy who's like that?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    when you read what they say about gino's pocket presense it sounds like sanchez. can't read defenses, holds onto ball too long, fumbles, etc. why draft another guy who's like that?
    Agreed. If I am Idzik there is no way I starting off my career as a GM by taking Geno Smith in the top 10. None.

All League
    My guess is that our FO under estimated how quickly the veteran QB market Dried up this year. Idzik went on record that he was going to bring in 2 vets and was probably waiting until after the draft. That was when Kolb, Flynn, Hasselback, Fitzpatrick, and co. We're all available. Now that the QB market (as bad as it was) has dried up, they have to be thinking "OMG we may have to actually stick with Sanchez this year." I think that is what got them motivated to start looking at Smith and Nassib.

While there is a lot to like about Smith, he's hard to judge because Austin and Bailey were probably the best receiver tandem in CF. he does have a lot of the same traits that MS has. I'm not saying draft him at all, but if they we some how end up with Geno, I think having a smarter GM and a better OC on board, things could turn out better.

My guess is that our FO under estimated how quickly the veteran QB market Dried up this year. Idzik went on record that he was going to bring in 2 vets and was probably waiting until after the draft. That was when Kolb, Flynn, Hasselback, Fitzpatrick, and co. We're all available. Now that the QB market (as bad as it was) has dried up, they have to be thinking "OMG we may have to actually stick with Sanchez this year." I think that is what got them motivated to start looking at Smith and Nassib.

While there is a lot to like about Smith, he's hard to judge because Austin and Bailey were probably the best receiver tandem in CF. he does have a lot of the same traits that MS has. I'm not saying draft him at all, but if they we some how end up with Geno, I think having a smarter GM and a better OC on board, things could turn out better.
    no, i think they just didn't have the cap room to spend it on a bad qb.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    How do you know who he has or hasn't spoken to? From what I hear he has a ton of connections in the NFL and he may be getting this vibe from scouts who spoke to Geno.

Either way, its funny that you are calling him out for making unfounded claims, yet you have no problem suggesting that he has a "personal animus" towards a player without any proof.
    He compared the guy to Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, both black QBs, both mediocre. Many of his criticisms are the same stuff you would hear in the 1970s and 1980s when society was very different and scouts actually questioned aloud whether a black man could play QB in the NFL. Basically, his scouting report could have been from the 1980s when to be black and play QB was next to impossible. It doesn't pass the smell test in 2013. Sorry.

He's not MS, no way... I don't see that comparison. Far more experienced, more accurate, more careful throwing the ball. MS wasn't playing with a bottom 10 D in the entire nation either. Sanchez's D was shutting teams down. If Smith went 3 and out on his first possession, that could mean down 14-0 by the time he saw the ball the second time. People sometimes don't realize how disruptive playing with an atrocious D can be to a QB's rhythm and comfort level. Even a guy like Aaron Rodgers suffers when his D gets shredded. Good example, the 49ers-Packers playoff game, Rodgers couldn't get into a rhythm because his D was giving up long drives every possession and never forcing a punt.
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 04-04-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Tell that to JI Mayock... we got guys here who actually want us to spend our 39th pick in the draft on Mike Glennon.... jesus.
    I'd throw up if we draft Nassib or Glennon, in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Two NFL GMs would rather have Kolb or Flynn than Geno... That tells me all I need to know about Geno. I don't see this guy making it in the NFL. Geno will go the way of Akili Smith and Mark Sanchez... He is not NFL starting caliber.
    Bingo! Some draft expert /consultant on Mike and Mike yesterday said that he had several mediocre games and is not worth more than a top 20 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    Bingo! Some draft expert /consultant on Mike and Mike yesterday said that he had several mediocre games and is not worth more than a top 20 pick.
    Have you ever seen him play? His D gave up 50+ points and 600+ yards of offense in all of his alleged "bad" outings. Many of which weren't bad at all, he just wasn't getting to play the West Virginia D too during the game.

So many of our fans have really never seen this guy play and are just blindly quoting the occasional negative scout, but he really is very good. Gruden just had him on his QB Camp thing and loved him. Dude can make all the throws, has the height, arm, and athleticism you want. No player is can't miss, everybody has some level of risk.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Best Draft site on the internet has Smith going 2nd overall in its mock to the Jags. Fuggedaboutit.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Have you ever seen him play? His D gave up 50+ points and 600+ yards of offense in all of his alleged "bad" outings. Many of which weren't bad at all, he just wasn't getting to play the West Virginia D too during the game.

So many of our fans have really never seen this guy play and are just blindly quoting the occasional negative scout, but he really is very good. Gruden just had him on his QB Camp thing and loved him. Dude can make all the throws, has the height, arm, and athleticism you want. No player is can't miss, everybody has some level of risk.
    Hey I am a fan of Geno. I wasn't entirelyimpressed with him or Nassib during the Bowl game, but could see potential. The comparison to MS was pocket awareness and his propensity to turn the ball over. He has a ton more potential due to his accuracy and mobility.

My problem is that it's hard to give him all the credit for his stats with Bailey and Austin catching 37 TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

Best Draft site on the internet has Smith going 2nd overall in its mock to the Jags. Fuggedaboutit.
    The Jaguars hold our cards in the draft. If they go Geno, we can nab Jordan, if they go Jordan, Geno can fall.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

Also has the Jets taking Glennon at #39...

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    The Jaguars hold our cards in the draft. If they go Geno, we can nab Jordan, if they go Jordan, Geno can fall.

trying to predict this top 10 is harder than trying to pick 2nd round bracket of NCAA torn. I think eagles will take Jordan, Kelly knows how good this guy is.. But its a crap shoot, barkley is top ten in 1 mock, 2nd round in another. jones #8 in 1, 16 in another.. Good news is we have so many holes we can pick the best player available regardless of position for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    I'd much rather have Jordan over Geno. Once Jordan puts on another 10 lbs of muscle he is going to be a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    trying to predict this top 10 is harder than trying to pick 2nd round bracket of NCAA torn. I think eagles will take Jordan, Kelly knows how good this guy is.. But its a crap shoot, barkley is top ten in 1 mock, 2nd round in another. jones #8 in 1, 16 in another.. Good news is we have so many holes we can pick the best player available regardless of position for the most part.
    The thing is 7 out of the 8 teams picking ahead of us all logically need a qb. There's no way Geno makes it to us at 9 unless he's secretly gay and all the NFL GM's know about it and in that case Tebow will immediately quit the team in protest.

On second thought let's draft Geno Smith.