View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    62 36.26%
  • No

    109 63.74%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 201

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

  1. #121
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we pass on Geno then I think one of 2 teams that would go into the draft not thinking QB in the first would jump. TB and Min. Specifically Minny since they have 2 firsts.

    The problem with passing on Geno is there is no guarantee that they guy we like is there at 39. I would expect a run on QBs at the bottom of the first through Tampa's pick in the second. I could see Buffalo (if they passed on Geno) moving up to take Nassib. Jax will probably take Barkley or Manuel at 33. Heard they like like Nassib, not sure if its smoke or not. Then there is Philly and AZ. Sure they both picked up QBs for 2013, but they could draft for the future.

    So if Geno is there at 9 and we pass, we could realistically see Barkley, Nassib, Manuel, and even Glennon go before we pick at 39.

    And for those clamping for Tyler Bray, he is a head case like Mallett with a lower upside. No thanks!

  2. #122
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is Vince Young 2.0.
    The only thing they have in common is being tall and black.

    Not a comparison at any level.
    In college VY would play circles around smith.
    Geno has the ability to play circles around VY at the NFL level.

    Arron brooks seems like a better comparison if you wanna stay on the all Afro american theme.

  3. #123
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    The only thing they have in common is being tall and black.

    Not a comparison at any level.
    In college VY would play circles around smith.
    Geno has the ability to play circles around VY at the NFL level.

    Arron brooks seems like a better comparison if you wanna stay on the all Afro american theme.
    You sound like a Seinfeld episode. Not that there's anything wrong with that......

  4. #124
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    The only thing they have in common is being tall and black.

    Not a comparison at any level.
    In college VY would play circles around smith.
    Geno has the ability to play circles around VY at the NFL level.

    Arron brooks seems like a better comparison if you wanna stay on the all Afro american theme.
    HAHA - great post and true story.

    Why does Geno have to be Akili Smith or Vince Young? Or Andre Ware? Why can't he be David Klingler?

  5. #125
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote this in another thread as well:

    There are many positives with Geno Smith. However, there are many glaring negatives as well. 32 career fumbles while in college. Almost 1 per game. I don't want to be part of that again. Lost his last 6 games as a starter. Questionable work ethic. Weak lower body strength.

    In my opinion, why take a risk? I don't understand this fascination with Smith. Because he's one of the highest rated QBs? Sanchez was one of the highest rated QBs coming out of college. It's because people want someone who's not Sanchez? Just because someone is there doesn't mean you draft him.

    I find it funny that people want to take a big risk on Smith at #9, considering the big failures the Jets have had on questionable picks in the top 10. Take the sure thing there. Draft a QB later that are probably going to play at the same level as Smith.

  6. #126
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I wrote this in another thread as well:

    There are many positives with Geno Smith. However, there are many glaring negatives as well. 32 career fumbles while in college. Almost 1 per game. I don't want to be part of that again. Lost his last 6 games as a starter. Questionable work ethic. Weak lower body strength.

    In my opinion, why take a risk? I don't understand this fascination with Smith. Because he's one of the highest rated QBs? Sanchez was one of the highest rated QBs coming out of college. It's because people want someone who's not Sanchez? Just because someone is there doesn't mean you draft him.

    I find it funny that people want to take a big risk on Smith at #9, considering the big failures the Jets have had on questionable picks in the top 10. Take the sure thing there. Draft a QB later that are probably going to play at the same level as Smith.
    great post, John.


    nice to see a drop of intelligence in a barrel full of diarrhea.

  7. #127
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is Vince Young 2.0.
    I don't think Geno is anywhere near as dumb as VY.

  8. #128
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is that Idzik and company are enamored with a QB in this draft. While every other team with a problem at QB has been proactive towards the position, Idzik brought in a player who hasn't played a down in over 2 seasons.

    So looking at the type of QBs that Idzik and Bradway have liked in the past, my guess is that they like Geno and Nassib.

    Both loved Russell Wilson. Bradway liked Matt Ryan. They both seem to favor accurate passers that have some mobility.

    Problem is that if Minnesota may elect to take a QB with one of their two firsts. Jax is reportedly high on Nassib and I think it's obvious that if Buffalo doesn't come away with Geno Smith at 8, they are going to make a major move back into the first to get Nassib.

    If we do in fact like both, we either take Geno at 9 if he is there or we may have to move up to take Nassib.

    Otherwise we're looking at the human turnover machine for 16 more games of unwatchable football.

  9. #129
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe the Jets will pick a QB in the first round. Don't see it happening. The best is still not elite enough to go that high.

  10. #130
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this has been posted but...

    Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki, delivers a scathing assessment of Smith's skills.

    "Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence -- does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor -- no urgency. Not committed or focused -- marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board ... Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college -- cannot handle hard coaching.

    "Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of over-excitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities."

  11. #131
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Leon View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted but...

    Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki, delivers a scathing assessment of Smith's skills.

    "Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence -- does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor -- no urgency. Not committed or focused -- marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board ... Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college -- cannot handle hard coaching.

    "Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of over-excitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities."
    Thanks for posting. A few of us were discussing this the other day. The fact that he had "scathing" reviews about Cam Newton and RGIII really point out what his motives are. He is either an idiot or a racist. Probably both.

  12. #132
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Thanks for posting. A few of us were discussing this the other day. The fact that he had "scathing" reviews about Cam Newton and RGIII really point out what his motives are. He is either an idiot or a racist. Probably both.
    McShay and the West Virginia coaching staff have mostly discredited this guy's opinion as being sensationalist and uninformed. I watched nearly every West Virginia game last year and many the season before. I don't need some hack scout who has an obvious bias against black QB prospects to tell me what to think about a player. He won't even name his sources. His report is bogus. I haven't seen any other credible scout make such scathing remarks. The comments about work ethic are borderline preposterous.

    Smith is a good player. He will be a good pro. I don't know how good yet, but I don't see him being a bust. The question is, if he is there at #9, do the Jets want to build toward the future now or put it off a year where there are absolutely no guarantees about our draft position or how highly rated the next group of QB prospects will be. Passing on him would be unwise for a team with a QB situation as bad as ours. I'll trust in Idzik's final decision until I see it play out badly the other way, but I would not be pleased to see us pass over him to take a pass rusher prospect with questions marks themselves or the least impactful position of the 22 on the field (offensive guard).

  13. #133
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a pretty easy decision to make if he's still there.

    A trade down is my ideal scenario, but taking him isn't a bad option IMO.

    And that writer is a straight up racist who has no evidence to support the "poor work ethic, dumb" comments he uses every season against black QBs.

    Smith is skinny, inconsistent and had the opportunity to play with two GREAT receivers who probably made him look better than he actually is. Those are valid criticisms... not based on stereotypes. Nawrocki should be ashamed of himself. Fuking hack.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 04-03-2013 at 07:03 AM.

  14. #134
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I think it's a pretty easy decision to make if he's still there.

    A trade down is my ideal scenario, but taking him isn't a bad option IMO.

    And that writer is a straight up racist who has no evidence to support the "poor work ethic, dumb" comments he uses every season against black QBs.

    Smith is skinny, inconsistent and had the opportunity to play with two GREAT receivers who probably made him look better than he actually is. Those are valid criticisms... not based on stereotypes. Nawrocki should be ashamed of himself. Fuking hack.
    While a trade down is a good scenario, who's going to trade up to #9 to pick Geno? After us there are very few teams - if any - who will want a QB in round 1. Tennessee? Outside chance. After that, no-one will be interested until possibly Minn at 23 / 25. So unless you're sure Tenn are going to take Smith at #10, you can sit tight and wait for him to drop IMHO.

    And there will no doubt be plenty of late Round 1 teams willing to trade back a few picks to allow QB needy teams to trade up, while picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd in a deep draft.

  15. #135
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think.Smith will be the first QB chosen at somewhere between 21-25 in the first round

    And be an NFL disappointment

  16. #136
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I think.Smith will be the first QB chosen at somewhere between 21-25 in the first round

    And be an NFL disappointment
    Precisely

  17. #137
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless Idzik and the Jets scouts think they see the second coming of Aaron Rodgers in this draft, there is NO WAY they will take a qb before rounds 5-6. Rex saddled us with Butt-Boy, no way Idzik gives him a 2nd chance. Plus, Rex probably gone at end of year, let new coach pick his QB.

  18. #138
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, let me go on the record to say I voted "no".

    However, if Smith is THAT bad, as some of you say, and there is an almost universal consensus that he will probably be the first QB off the board, how bad must the rest of the QB's be?

  19. #139
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Mayock defends analyst on Geno Smith report

    ProFootballWeekly's harsh scouting report of Geno Smith raised eyebrows throughout the football community because it doggedly questioned Smith's work ethic and love for the game. Equally harsh assessments of Nolan Nawrocki, the man who wrote the report, have followed. (Including a response from Smith.) Nawrocki notably critiqued Cam Newton for his off-field attitude and "fake smith" which made a lot of folks wonder if Nawrocki had an agenda or was looking for attention. NFL Network's Mike Mayock says that assesment of Nawrocki would be unfair.

    "I know Nolan Nawrocki very, very well," Mayock said on ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" on Wednesday. "The guy has an unbelievable group of sources throughout the NFL. He works it tirelessly. I've been on the phone with the guy at midnight, 2 a.m. talking draft. The guy is crazy as far as his passion and love for the game."

    Nawrocki, a former college safety, worked under the late, great Joel Buchsbaum at ProFootball Weekly. Mayock didn't think the criticism of Nawrocki was fair.

    "When he puts that out there, there's no agenda. He's not trying to bash Cam Newton or Geno Smith. This is the feedback he's getting from scouts and what he believes based on his tape study. Does that mean it's right or wrong? No. We have to minimize that a little bit because scouts can say a lot of things to get their opinions out there for their own vested reasons."

    Mayock hit the nail on the head there. Top-shelf analysts are asked to evaluate film, but their use of scout information falls more into a reportorial role. He mentioned Blaine Gabbert and Matt Leinart as two other prospects that concerned him regarding their love of the game.

    Draft "experts" need to decide what scouts to trust, and who not to trust. Mayock said he's still "trying to gather" information about Smith's intangibles, but Mayock knows enough about his colleague.

    "I would bang the table for Nolan Nawrocki," Mayock said.

    As for this quarterback class? Mayock is not impressed.

    "I couldn't take Geno Smith in the top 10, probably the top 20. I can't stand this whole quarterback class."

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

  20. #140
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mike Mayock defends analyst on Geno Smith report

    ProFootballWeekly's harsh scouting report of Geno Smith raised eyebrows throughout the football community because it doggedly questioned Smith's work ethic and love for the game. Equally harsh assessments of Nolan Nawrocki, the man who wrote the report, have followed. (Including a response from Smith.) Nawrocki notably critiqued Cam Newton for his off-field attitude and "fake smith" which made a lot of folks wonder if Nawrocki had an agenda or was looking for attention. NFL Network's Mike Mayock says that assesment of Nawrocki would be unfair.

    "I know Nolan Nawrocki very, very well," Mayock said on ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" on Wednesday. "The guy has an unbelievable group of sources throughout the NFL. He works it tirelessly. I've been on the phone with the guy at midnight, 2 a.m. talking draft. The guy is crazy as far as his passion and love for the game."

    Nawrocki, a former college safety, worked under the late, great Joel Buchsbaum at ProFootball Weekly. Mayock didn't think the criticism of Nawrocki was fair.

    "When he puts that out there, there's no agenda. He's not trying to bash Cam Newton or Geno Smith. This is the feedback he's getting from scouts and what he believes based on his tape study. Does that mean it's right or wrong? No. We have to minimize that a little bit because scouts can say a lot of things to get their opinions out there for their own vested reasons."

    Mayock hit the nail on the head there. Top-shelf analysts are asked to evaluate film, but their use of scout information falls more into a reportorial role. He mentioned Blaine Gabbert and Matt Leinart as two other prospects that concerned him regarding their love of the game.

    Draft "experts" need to decide what scouts to trust, and who not to trust. Mayock said he's still "trying to gather" information about Smith's intangibles, but Mayock knows enough about his colleague.

    "I would bang the table for Nolan Nawrocki," Mayock said.

    As for this quarterback class? Mayock is not impressed.

    "I couldn't take Geno Smith in the top 10, probably the top 20. I can't stand this whole quarterback class."

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl
    wow. thanks for posting.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us