View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 36.26%
  • No

109 63.74%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers
    Nawrocki on Denard Robinson's character and work-ethic http://bit.ly/10x1yQx

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Thanks for posting. A few of us were discussing this the other day. The fact that he had "scathing" reviews about Cam Newton and RGIII really point out what his motives are. He is either an idiot or a racist. Probably both.
    Or people that don't know the facts are idiots. Here is his Q&A regarding RG3 last year:

Q: Do you see any way that Robert Griffin III could go No. 1, and if not, how big is the gap between he and Andrew Luck?

Nawrocki: To me, there is a considerable gap. I think Andrew Luck is the most polished quarterback to come out of the NFL draft in a long time, as long as I’ve been doing this. He's one of the best decision makers. I think he has an outstanding command of the game — a very unique pedigree, tremendous football intelligence. He’s got everything you want in a quarterback, accuracy, everything is there. It’s all in front of him. The difference between Luck and Griffin to me is Griffin’s ceiling is higher. The concerns I have with Griffin at quarterback are his accuracy (and) his feel in the pocket. I don’t think it is at the same level as Luck’s is, and I’m not sure that it will ever get to the same place. (Griffin) has outstanding athletic ability, makes plays in the pocket and has a very dynamic arm. The other concern I have is about his long-term durability. He’s shown before in the past that he has had difficulty staying healthy. He is more of a straight-linish type of runner, and I think it's going to be difficult to stay healthy in the pros once he’s moving outside. He’s not very elusive, he’s more straight-linish and I think he’s going to have a difficult time getting out of the way of contact on the perimeter. For that reason, I think there is higher risk involved with the pick. I think the Colts made up their mind months ago, and I think they know which way they’re going.
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...nolan-nawrocki

Tell me how that discussion is racist? If anything it is SPOT ON. Just because you critique a black QB, does not make you a racist.

Edit to add that Cam's own teammates have expressed some of the same concerns Nawrocki pointed out.
    Last edited by revischrist; 04-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers
    Nawrocki on Denard Robinson's character and work-ethic http://bit.ly/10x1yQx
    That must be a mistake, Nawrocki is a racist that hates all black athletes/QBs

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks for posting. A few of us were discussing this the other day. The fact that he had "scathing" reviews about Cam Newton and RGIII really point out what his motives are. He is either an idiot or a racist. Probably both.
    Racist? Really? Based on what? He said bad things about a black QB? He has said negative things about white QBs as well. Were the things he said about Cam Newton that far off? What about what he said about RGIII? Pretty spot on if you ask me. As far as Geno goes, he isnt the only one who has questioned his leadership or attitude. Watch the Kansas State game and watch how Geno reacts as his team is getting their a$$ kicked.

Should also note that Nawrocki's mock drafts the last two years had Cam Newton at 1 and RG3 at number 1 (in one of his mocks) saying this:

1. Indianapolis Colts
    Robert Griffin III | QB | Baylor [ Jr. ]

Not only did Robert Griffin do more with less at Baylor, as the incoming quarterback of the Colts will have to do with one of the weakest supporting casts in football, but Griffin is a more intimidating playmaker than Andrew Luck with the big-play ability sought in Bruce Arians’ big-strike, vertical offense. Griffin entered the season low on the radar in the Heisman Trophy race and upset the anointed golden boy in college football. Luck remains the heavyweight favorite to be selected first overall, but Griffin is the better schematic fit.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I can't stand this whole quarterback class."
    Tell that to JI Mayock... we got guys here who actually want us to spend our 39th pick in the draft on Mike Glennon.... jesus.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Racist? Really? Based on what? He said bad things about a black QB? He has said negative things about white QBs as well. Were the things he said about Cam Newton that far off? What about what he said about RGIII? Pretty spot on if you ask me. As far as Geno goes, he isnt the only one who has questioned his leadership or attitude. Watch the Kansas State game and watch how Geno reacts as his team is getting their a$$ kicked.
    Oh OK. So since he was the ONLY ONE to have this type of analysis, then he is spot on. Right. If his character was above reproach then it wouldn't be a topic of discussion in the national media. What he said the past three years was "out there." Whether he did it for publicity or because he has agendas remains to be seen but in either case, I won't read his crap.

Now we are bashing these kids because they get pissed off when they lose. Well nothing pisses me off more when I see our QB chumming it up with his opponents after we get our ass kicked.

If we believed every negative thing out there we wouldn't want anybody at 9.

Oh OK. So since he was the ONLY ONE to have this type of analysis, then he is spot on. Right. If his character was above reproach then it wouldn't be a topic of discussion in the national media. What he said the past three years was "out there." Whether he did it for publicity or because he has agendas remains to be seen but in either case, I won't read his crap.

Now we are bashing these kids because they get pissed off when they lose. Well nothing pisses me off more when I see our QB chumming it up with his opponents after we get our ass kicked.

So you totally ignored all my posts which basically refuted the "media" spin that he has been anti-black QB the last few years? He basically touted RG3 as having a higher ceiling than Luck and even suggested that he would be a better fit for the Colts. Instead, you choose believe the nonsense that this guy is some kind of racist.

Hall Of Fame

Do yourself a favor and research Nawrocki's reports. You claiming he is a racist is lazy and ignorant. Other scouts said similar things about Newton and other scouts said similar things about Smith.

And as far as believing every negative thing about a prospect, you do realize that every prospect have negatives, there is no perfect player, so if you are waiting for 100% clean, no fault prospect to pick at 9 then you will be waiting for a long time.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 04-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I would be okay with Tyler Wilson in the 3rd. I want nothing to do with Geno Smith.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I would be okay with Tyler Wilson in the 3rd. I want nothing to do with Geno Smith.
    That is not a bad option.

I really just want them to like one QB enough to pick him.

I'm desperate.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    That is not a bad option.

I really just want them to like one QB enough to pick him.

I'm desperate.
    LOL...generally that is a tough way to approach a draft, but I feel your pain.

I do think the Jets are going to draft a QB this year, I hope it is not Geno at 9, but could see them using a 3rd round pick. I just dont see David Garrard as being the big competition at QB that Rex, Idzik and Woody are talking about.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So you totally ignored all my posts which basically refuted the "media" spin that he has been anti-black QB the last few years? He basically touted RG3 as having a higher ceiling than Luck and even suggested that he would be a better fit for the Colts. Instead, you choose believe the nonsense that this guy is some kind of racist.
    Sorry dude, I didn't ignore your posts. I was working and responded during some free time.

Now, the guy is a journalist. He never spoke to Cam and he has never met Geno yet he goes on record about these guy's personalities and really challenges what makes these guys tick.

As for Newton, I guess it's his leadership and attitude that is keeping the Panthers down and not their oft injured Running game and porous defense.

What he said about RGIII is probably true but you can say the say thing about every QB in and out of the league. Any position really. If you take a pounding, you may not last in the league.

Now about the bull rap he said about Geno. Again, he never met Geno so he basing his opinion on others. But who really would know about Geno's work ethic and love of the game? Unless you hear that from his college coaches or teammates say it, then people are talking out of their ass. In fact, both his HC, and one of his receivers have already come to bat for him.

George Schroeder, USA Today: "Geno Smith doesn't just want to reach the NFL, he wants to the best. He took his work ethic, focus and study habits to the next level years ago to help reach that goal."

Our lads:"A team captain and leader. Smart, reliable and respected by his teammates. A student of the game. Intelligent and sharp. A competitor with good character."

Daniel Jeremiah challenges his ability to get to the third read as well as take snaps from under center. Nothing else negative except that he will need time to develop.

Rob Rang: "He has all the traits scouts are looking for in a franchise quarterback."

NO ONE ever challenged his work ethic or intelligence. So it is my opinion that what the hack wrote has no basis and I can judge him any damn way I want.

Say that Geno has tiny hands and that is directly responsible for all his fumbles, fine. That statement has a legitimate logical reason. What he wrote was just wrong. And since it is not the first time he has done it, he should be called out on it.

If you don't agree, I'm OK with that, but don't start the name calling towards me because our opinions differ.

Hall Of Fame
    Sorry dude, I didn't ignore your posts. I was working and responded during some free time.

Now, the guy is a journalist. He never spoke to Cam and he has never met Geno yet he goes on record about these guy's personalities and really challenges what makes these guys tick.

As for Newton, I guess it's his leadership and attitude that is keeping the Panthers down and not their oft injured Running game and porous defense.

What he said about RGIII is probably true but you can say the say thing about every QB in and out of the league. Any position really. If you take a pounding, you may not last in the league.

Now about the bull rap he said about Geno. Again, he never met Geno so he basing his opinion on others. But who really would know about Geno's work ethic and love of the game? Unless you hear that from his college coaches or teammates say it, then people are talking out of their ass. In fact, both his HC, and one of his receivers have already come to bat for him.

George Schroeder, USA Today: "Geno Smith doesn't just want to reach the NFL, he wants to the best. He took his work ethic, focus and study habits to the next level years ago to help reach that goal."

Our lads:"A team captain and leader. Smart, reliable and respected by his teammates. A student of the game. Intelligent and sharp. A competitor with good character."

Daniel Jeremiah challenges his ability to get to the third read as well as take snaps from under center. Nothing else negative except that he will need time to develop.

Rob Rang: "He has all the traits scouts are looking for in a franchise quarterback."

NO ONE ever challenged his work ethic or intelligence. So it is my opinion that what the hack wrote has no basis and I can judge him any damn way I want.

Say that Geno has tiny hands and that is directly responsible for all his fumbles, fine. That statement has a legitimate logical reason. What he wrote was just wrong. And since it is not the first time he has done it, he should be called out on it.

If you don't agree, I'm OK with that, but don't start the name calling towards me because our opinions differ.
    LOL...yet you call Nawrocki a racist because you dont agree with him.

All League
    LOL...yet you call Nawrocki a racist because you dont agree with him.
    He gets paid. I think he doesn't deserve it. I called him a racist because I could not rationally come up with any other motive for him to write trash.

If you don't like what I post, stop reading it.

Hall Of Fame
    He gets paid. I think he doesn't deserve it. I called him a racist because I could not rationally come up with any other motive for him to write trash.

LOl...OK. What a poor excuse to accuse someone of being racist. No wonder we have the issues we do in this country.

Maybe because nobody pays attention to all the negative comments about white and Latin quarterbacks, but god forbid you say something about a black QB

All League
    While I am not going to get into a debate with anyone on the Internet, he took two guys who were head and shoulders better than every QB in their respective class. In Cam's, he was by far the best player in the draft and if the draft was held again, he would undoubtedly be the first pick in the draft.

Why would he write an opinion piece on either guy without having any reliable sources to back his **** up.

For the record, I am white. So anyone who has a problem with anything I have posted, put me on ignore, and GFY!

Hall Of Fame
    While I am not going to get into a debate with anyone on the Internet, he took two guys who were head and shoulders better than every QB in their respective class. In Cam's, he was by far the best player in the draft and if the draft was held again, he would undoubtedly be the first pick in the draft.

Why would he write an opinion piece on either guy without having any reliable sources to back his **** up.

For the record, I am white. So anyone who has a problem with anything I have posted, put me on ignore, and GFY!
    LOL...for someone so sensitive about race relations you sure lack tolerance..LOL.

All League
    LOL...for someone so sensitive about race relations you sure lack tolerance..LOL.
    Yeah, LOL.