View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 36.26%
  • No

109 63.74%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    If the Jets are in a position where the consensus top rated quarterback drops into their laps at #9, they have to give the pick some very serious consideration. It is a huge position of need at the most important position in sports. This opportunity does not come around very often.

It's all going to come down to how Smith is rated on the Jets board at the time of the pick. In all likelihood, Smith is not going to drop this far.
    no no no. Roll with Sanchez/Garrard this year, and go after Bridgewater, Manziel or Derek Carr in 2014.

The fact is, 2013 should be a mulligan year. It will render Rex being fired, Idzik hiring is own guy, cutting Sanchez, and drafting one of the elite QBs in the 2014 draft. Hopefully, the bounty we receive from the Bucs for Revis will come in the 2014 draft as well.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    If the Jets are in a position where the consensus top rated quarterback drops into their laps at #9, they have to give the pick some very serious consideration. It is a huge position of need at the most important position in sports. This opportunity does not come around very often.

It's all going to come down to how Smith is rated on the Jets board at the time of the pick. In all likelihood, Smith is not going to drop this far.
    i'd be very surprised if both arizona and buffalo passed on him. it would reall speak volumes of how the scouts really view him, considering how much those two teams need qbs. i think buffalo will get him and these other teams are feining interest to get buffalo to trade up. i also think jax will trade up to get manuel as he's an FSU guy and can energize that fanbase.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    no no no. Roll with Sanchez/Garrard this year, and go after Bridgewater, Manziel or Derek Carr in 2014.

The fact is, 2013 should be a mulligan year. It will render Rex being fired, Idzik hiring is own guy, cutting Sanchez, and drafting one of the elite QBs in the 2014 draft. Hopefully, the bounty we receive from the Bucs for Revis will come in the 2014 draft as well.
    +1

what if bridgewater,manziel and carr were 1 year wonders? we will have waited another year to get this team in the right direction?

the time is now. 44 years has been long enough to get the recipe right.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    If this is the course Idzik decides, I would be fine with it. I'm not going to pretend that I know more about this year's quarterback prospects than pro scout teams.

The problem with this approach is there is no way to guarantee that the team can draft one of the top prospects in 2014 no matter how much ammo they possess. This is why a team needs to think very hard before they pass on an opportunity to draft the top rated quarterback prospect at a bargain position without needing to trade up.

And what if this plan does not work? We go another full year with drafting our future quarterback?

The fact is, 2013 should be a mulligan year.
    There is simply no way that this is the mindset inside the Jets organization. Rex is coaching for his future as an NFL HC, and a rookie GM is in no position to be taking mulligan years in the Not For Long league.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'd be very surprised if both arizona and buffalo passed on him. it would reall speak volumes of how the scouts really view him, considering how much those two teams need qbs. i think buffalo will get him and these other teams are feining interest to get buffalo to trade up. i also think jax will trade up to get manuel as he's an FSU guy and can energize that fanbase.
    Agreed. The last time a quarterback was not drafted in the top 10 was the year 2000.

All League
    I voted no.

Idzik has to be 100% sure of his first high pick QB... Geno is a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    what if bridgewater,manziel and carr were 1 year wonders? we will have waited another year to get this team in the right direction?

Funny thing is Geno Smith is a better pro prospect then at least 2/3 of that group. Manziel is a 6 foot midget with a so-so arm, better college QB then pro prospect, and Derek Carr? Seriously? As for Bridgewater, we'll see. Matt Barkley was the 2013 'consensus #1' this time last year. A lot can happen in a year. Even if Bridgewater is the real deal, this team probably isn't bad enough to get the top 2 pick required to draft him.

So we should wait a year and draft a QB who probably isn't markedly better then what's available now?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    Kolb and Flynn are both 1 year stopgaps. I would not be surprised in the least if either one of those teams drafted Geno Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I voted no.

Not just your ordinary gamble, but Geno Smith is a HUGE gamble. He'll need coddling (remind you of anyone?). He was horribly inconsistent with all pro WR talent around him. In any other draft, Smith falls to bottom of round 2 or lower.

If he's there at #9, trade that pick to some really dumb QB starved team.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He won't be there. If he is you have to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is Vince Young 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Well the Bills are less likely to take him with them adding Kobb and now the Cardinals are now out of it by picking up Palmer in a trade. The Chiefs have Alex Smith so they won't take him. The Raiders are apparently flipping Palmer and acquiring Flynn.

Browns drafted Weeden last year in the first round so doubt they go there again. Eagles still have Vick. Lions have Stafford.

The only other team that could logically draft a QB in front of us are the Jaguars.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

For once, you post something intelligent.

Andrew Luck was a once in a generation type of prospect. As close to a sure thing as you'll find. I can understand tanking for a player like him.

For every Andrew Luck there are tons of Matt Barkleys....guys who look great one year, then fall apart the next. And that's not a knock on Barkley. He may turn out to be good. But if a team tanked their 2012 season for him, how f*cking stupid would they look now?

If the scouting department likes Geno Smith, and he makes it to #9, then take him. If they'd prefer to pick someone like Nassib or Glennon in the 2nd or 3rd, great.

Tanking for next year is a bigger gamble than picking a guy now, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    For once, you post something intelligent.

Andrew Luck was a once in a generation type of prospect. As close to a sure thing as you'll find. I can understand tanking for a player like him.

For every Andrew Luck there are tons of Matt Barkleys....guys who look great one year, then fall apart the next. And that's not a knock on Barkley. He may turn out to be good. But if a team tanked their 2012 season for him, how f*cking stupid would they look now?

If the scouting department likes Geno Smith, and he makes it to #9, then take him. If they'd prefer to pick someone like Nassib or Glennon in the 2nd or 3rd, great.

Tanking for next year is a bigger gamble than picking a guy now, IMO.
    Not to mention the fact that no team who doesn't lose a lynchpin like a Peyton Manning will EVER tank a season before the final few weeks of the year.

Agree 100% with the rest of your post also. If the Jets think Geno has even less of a ceiling than Sanchez, then there's no discussion here. But if he's the top-rated QB on their board, I don't see how any of the other players they're considering represent such a sure thing that passing on the top QB makes any sense.

It would not be like picking Geno Smith over Warren Sapp. All the other guys have major question marks too. Go QB if you like the guy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Not just your ordinary gamble, but Geno Smith is a HUGE gamble. He'll need coddling (remind you of anyone?). He was horribly inconsistent with all pro WR talent around him. In any other draft, Smith falls to bottom of round 2 or lower.

If he's there at #9, trade that pick to some really dumb QB starved team.
    Trouble is, the dumb QB starved teams (other than us ) will have already passed on him by that point. If Geno is there at 9, and we pass on him, I can honestly see him free fall to the bottom of round one.

Who would take him at their current draft spot after us? Tennessee at 10, or Vikes at 23 / 25 would be the only credible landing spots, IMHO, and I honestly don't see either of those teams taking him. So unless someone picks him as a long term transition plan (e.g. Pittsburgh) he could easily be there for trading up to the bottom of round one for.

The nice thing is that there is then a knock on effect on all the other QB's ... so someone like Glennon / Nassib / Barkley could easily be there at our round 2 pick if we pass on Geno in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Funny thing is Geno Smith is a better pro prospect then at least 2/3 of that group. Manziel is a 6 foot midget with a so-so arm, better college QB then pro prospect, and Derek Carr? Seriously? As for Bridgewater, we'll see. Matt Barkley was the 2013 'consensus #1' this time last year. A lot can happen in a year. Even if Bridgewater is the real deal, this team probably isn't bad enough to get the top 2 pick required to draft him.

So we should wait a year and draft a QB who probably isn't markedly better then what's available now?
    dumbest post of the day.

Your analysis of Johnny Manziel makes it quite clear you know about as much about college ball as a steamy pile of turds.

I didn't bother reading the rest of the post.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I voted no.

The whole draft is a gamble every year.

I'd pick Tyler Bray in the second, after OLB in first. Then Oline, TE, Oline again or S and then fill in the blanks after........
    Last edited by aagarcia; 04-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    no geno and no mantai is my wish