View Poll Results: Is Geno Smith worthy of the #9 pick in the upcoming draft?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 36.26%
  • No

109 63.74%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Should we take Geno Smith if he's there at #9?

With Buffalo signing Kolb (2 years for 13 million - HA!), in all likelihood removing them from the "QB in Round 1 Sweepstakes", I think it may be a legitimate possibility that Geno Smith will be available to the Jets with the 9th pick. I have to admit, I don't follow college football very closely, and I've read a lot of varying opinions on whether or not he can be a legitimate franchise QB in the NFL.

Please vote on whether or not you think he's worthy of the #9 pick. If you're capable of providing deeper insight than "he sucks", please also provide your assessment of how his college performance will translate to the NFL game.

Thanks...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    who knows what Geno Smith will turn out to be. but with kolb to the bills, and possibly flynn to the raiders and a similiar version of Geno Smith in Terrell Pryor; i only see the cardinals interested in picking him. the eagles could go at #4 because of chip kelly and his offense, but i think they'll go with another need and draft EJ Manuel in round 2. Still even though Kolb is on the bills doesnt mean they are set at qb. back to Arizona. who's they're qb?i dont think they are going into training camp with drew stanton as they're only option, but then again, they had the worst oline last year by far so they're probably going OL or trading back. That said with trading picks, you never know who'll jump ahead the #9 spot to maybe grab Geno

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No.

No more question mark picks.

It works for some teams but not us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should pick the best available talent regardless of position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    We should pick the best available talent regardless of position.
    +a million

Same with every pick

And imo Ginomarcus Russell is clearly NOT that guy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street View Post
    No.

No more question mark picks.

It works for some teams but not us.
    Every pick is a question mark.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    no get best player available then draft a qb in rd 2 or 3

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two NFL GMs would rather have Kolb or Flynn than Geno... That tells me all I need to know about Geno. I don't see this guy making it in the NFL. Geno will go the way of Akili Smith and Mark Sanchez... He is not NFL starting caliber.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Two NFL GMs would rather have Kolb or Flynn than Geno... That tells me all I need to know about Geno. I don't see this guy making it in the NFL. Geno will go the way of Akili Smith and Mark Sanchez... He is not NFL starting caliber.
    I don't think that's what it means. I just think it means those gma don't see all that big of A difference between smit and the 2nd tier of prospects. Those teams aren't relying on those veterans as permanent starters. They may just choose to take qbs in the second round since its risky.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    I don't think that's what it means. I just think it means those gma don't see all that big of A difference between smit and the 2nd tier of prospects. Those teams aren't relying on those veterans as permanent starters. They may just choose to take qbs in the second round since its risky.
    I just don't think there is a legitimate starter available at QB this year. A couple of GMs agree and rather than force a round peg into a square hole, they will solve for their QB issues through FA, Trade or in later rounds. The question posed was would you take him at #9 and I say no way!!! I don't think a QB should go in the top 20 this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Smith doesn't get taken early, then it'll have a knock on effect down the draft at QB. I'd say pass - there will be better options at 9 - and see who's there in later rounds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted no, but really it depends. It depends on the organizations draft board and none of us know what that looks like. We assume the pick will be Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones or Ziggy Ansah, but we don't really know. Maybe it's Tavon Austin or Cordarelle Patterson. Maybe it's Geno Smith. The months of mock drafts and speculation for the draft are tiresome. I'm glad we're finally in April. Only another 24 days to go

Personally I'd rather take someone like Zac Dyster or Tyler Wilson in the mid-rounds, if we were to take anyone at all, and look towards taking a Quarterback next year in what looks like to be a heavy Quarterback class with Manziel, Bridgewater, Murray and the other kid from SDSU that everyone seems to love, amongst others.
    Last edited by 124; 04-01-2013 at 08:56 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This reminds me of when Jimmy Clausen was touted as a top-10 pick coming into April...and didn't go until the mid-second.

I just hope the Jets have done their due diligence with Smith. It's rare to have a shot at the top QB from any draft class AND have a dire need at the position. If Smith is somehow there at #9 and the Jets pass, it would be a disaster if he ends up going Russell Wilson on the league.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the fact OAK and BUF signed FA's precludes either from drafting Geno Smith. I don't think Geno is NFL ready, so the best thing to do is let him sit and learn for at least a full season. Hell, I could see KC taking him and sitting him for the next 2-3 years. I don't like Smith at all as a prospect unless you consider he sits and learns for at least a year or more. In the past it would be tough to pay a top 10 pick and sit him, but with the new rookie cap rules I can easily see a team try it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Seahawks where John Idzik was involved in personnel found the second best QB in the draft last year in the third round.

If Tannenboob was still around, I'm certain that we would leap at Genobust at number 9

Thankfully the Jets are in saner hands now

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!
    Reading these posts are funny as chit! Like anyone of you really knows who will play well at the next level.
    The same people on here calling Geno a bust already I can guarantee you weren't pining for Russell Wilson or SCREAMING to move up to get Aaron Rogers.
    seriously, EVERY FREAKING PLAYER IS A RISK!
    WE NEED A FREAKING QB!
    If the Jets brass & scouts feel Geno Smith is the guy then so be it.
    All you freaking know it alls crack me up.
    Mike Mayock thinks Smith would be a perfect fit for the WCO.
    He's accurate, can move around just enough, can make all the throws.
    How the hell does any of us really know if Geno Smith will succeed until you surround him with NFL skill players & see him play?
    He even took snaps from center before in his college career.
    I'll go out on a limb & say without a doubt he's better than Sanchez.
    Just a feeling.
    I'm not gonna go crazy if we don't take him but if we do why is it the end of the world to get the best QB in all of college?
    Let the freaking chips fall where they may but I honestly believe its much easier to succeed in todays NFL at QB.
    I want a QB every year until we find one. I can't handle another 44 years of mediocrity with 3 AFCCGs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    OMG!
    Reading these posts are funny as chit! Like anyone of you really knows who will play well at the next level.
    The same people on here calling Geno a bust already I can guarantee you weren't pining for Russell Wilson or SCREAMING to move up to get Aaron Rogers.
    WE NEED A FREAKING QB!
    How the hell does any of us really know if Geno Smith will succeed until you surround him with NFL skill players & see him play?
    Just a feeling.
    I'm not gonna go crazy if we don't take him but if we do why is it the end of the world to get the best QB in all of college?
    Let the freaking chips fall where they may but I honestly believe its much easier to succeed in todays NFL at QB.
    I want a QB every year until we find one. I can't handle another 44 years of mediocrity with 3 AFCCGs.
    I'm pretty sure the Jets will take a QB in this draft just not in the 1st round. It's important to look for QB talent in every draft IMHO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Jets will take a QB in this draft just not in the 1st round.
    Is that a good approach in a weak draft for QBs though? Every once in a while you'll see a team hit with a Wilson, Schaub or Dalton, but far more often than not, the QBs that stick around as starters are the ones taken early. Take a look at the starters around the league right now. Even Dalton might have snuck into the first round had 4 QBs not already gone in front of him.

I just think that the Jets have to give Smith a really long look in case he's somehow available at #9. The best QB from a weak class is still the best QB from a weak class. Pennington was the best QB from one of the worst QB draft pools in the last three decades, but that almost worked out.

EDIT - guess my argument is a little weakened by the fact that Brady came out of the same class as Pennington. That's a true exception though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    OMG!
    WE NEED A FREAKING QB!
    Just a feeling.
    We don't know if Ryan Nassib is an NFL caliber QB until we surround him with NFL players and see how he does. Should we draft him at 9? Seems you're the one playing the know it all.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    we need to draft nfl ready players. if geno smith is there and the nyjets are ready to hand him the football in 2013 then hell yes. we cant spend a 1st round pick on a player who will be on the bench i dont care what position it is.