Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 152

Thread: New Grill

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yeah. I am no doctor and haven't done research but I have heard that from many different people. When you burn wood there is black smoke. You are basically eating soot.

    The smoke from charcoal is usually white or blueish. And you are supposed to cook after the coals are done smoking and are ashed over.
    The black char on grilled food is carcinogenic. No getting around it. Most wood used for cooking these days is kiln died and no worse for you than briquettes. That's not saying it's good for you.

  2. #62
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,139
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    It's more than just clean up and having to stock up on charcoal in winter and all that. Gas is much easier to regulate. I like to sear my meat at 600 degrees and then turn the gas down to about 350 to finish off the steaks, roasts, chops, etc. Not easy to do with charcoal. With gas, I preheat to 600, cook 1 and 1/2 minute on each side and turn the middle burner off , open lid to cool things down to 350 and cook 3-4 minutes on both sides with the lid closed. A 1 and a 1/2'' thick steak is always a perfect medium rare. Always.
    I put the charcoal on one side of the grill. Sear the steaks on that side and then move them to the other after the sear. Just as easy. One side is direct grilling. Once side is indirect.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    It's more than just clean up and having to stock up on charcoal in winter and all that. Gas is much easier to regulate. I like to sear my meat at 600 degrees and then turn the gas down to about 350 to finish off the steaks, roasts, chops, etc. Not easy to do with charcoal. With gas, I preheat to 600, cook 1 and 1/2 minute on each side and turn the middle burner off , open lid to cool things down to 350 and cook 3-4 minutes on both sides with the lid closed. A 1 and a 1/2'' thick steak is always a perfect medium rare. Always.
    what kind of grill do you have? I bought a charbroil and it blew.

    PS -- I think its funny how I'm still trying to get suggestions.

  4. #64
    checkout this grill.

    http://kalamazoogourmet.com/products...FQjf4Aodgn4A6w

    advertised in the banner here. pricey maybe sar has 1.

  5. #65

    my man...........

    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Been there. Done that. Like others here, would still rather hit the little red button.

    However, if i can convince the wife that I'll actually use it on special occasions, I want to have a real Italian outdoor wood brick oven installed. I'm only about 1/2 way home on that one!
    now you're freakin' talkin.....

  6. #66
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,139
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    what kind of grill do you have? I bought a charbroil and it blew.

    PS -- I think its funny how I'm still trying to get suggestions.
    If you are going to get a gas grill then get a Weber. If you feel the Genesis is too expensive then you should go with the Spirit. My gas grill is an older model Spirit. They re-designed it and I am not sure how the new ones are but it is still a Weber so you can't go wrong.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    what kind of grill do you have? I bought a charbroil and it blew.

    PS -- I think its funny how I'm still trying to get suggestions.
    I've got an older Weber Genesis all-stainless that just won't die.

  8. #68
    On full blast my charbroil was getting up to 300 degrees F. I hated that piece of sh#t. I would cook hamburgers for 25 minutes.

  9. #69
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,008
    I use either a gas or charcoal BBQ depending on my mood and what I am cooking.

    I have a Weber Kettle BBQ that I have had for over 25 years, it's my go to for oysters and turkeys, the gas grill gets the majority of the work.

    It's not the grill it's the cook for the most part.

  10. #70
    To be honest, I thought the same thing about the ashes. But the way the grill is designed, the food isn't over the fire. The pit is on the side, with a loading door. And there is a opening at the top of the pit where the heat gets fed in. So it's probably all good.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,139
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    To be honest, I thought the same thing about the ashes. But the way the grill is designed, the food isn't over the fire. The pit is on the side, with a loading door. And there is a opening at the top of the pit where the heat gets fed in. So it's probably all good.
    I believe you are describing a pellet smoker. They are really good for smoking or slow cooks.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    now you're freakin' talkin.....
    I've had my eyes set on one like this for years. At first she said I was outta my freaking mind. Then ''over her dead body''.To ''maybe some day''. To'' we'll talk about it next year if you really think you'll use it''. So I figure in another year or two I'll be good to go.


  13. #73
    you could always buy a bunch of these for this season to save for the 1 you want.


  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I believe you are describing a pellet smoker. They are really good for smoking or slow cooks.
    After looking them up... it's similar in design I suppose but this one is bigger and designed for split wood pieces. Pretty sure it's a custom smoker. I'll ask my buddy though.

  15. #75
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,101
    has green egg-mania died down? had a couple guys at work way too into them - talked about them 24/7.

  16. #76
    It's been confirmed that the grill I'm talking about is called a stick burner.

  17. #77
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,139
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    It's been confirmed that the grill I'm talking about is called a stick burner.
    Just googled that. Pretty cool stuff. Appears that they are like pellet smokers but use larger pieces of wood. Just like you said.

  18. #78

    ooooooooorrrrrrr........

    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I've had my eyes set on one like this for years. At first she said I was outta my freaking mind. Then ''over her dead body''.To ''maybe some day''. To'' we'll talk about it next year if you really think you'll use it''. So I figure in another year or two I'll be good to go.

    a night of the good high hard one might shorten that time considerably. this thing is awesome, and you can make pizza in this type of oven.

  19. #79
    If you are going to spend 500, then spend the extra 200 on a webber genesis.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    If you are going to spend 500, then spend the extra 200 on a webber genesis.
    I'll tell my wife she'll need to turn some extra tricks this month.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us