Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Grill

buck the funk up..........

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Agree on Weber. Disagree on charcoal. (Although I prefer the taste of real charcoal, it's too inconvenient.)

I'd up the budget if you can to go all stainless. My Weber is going on 8 years and looks great. I leave it outside all winter uncovered and I live on the ocean, so it takes LOTS of abuse. I replaced the "flavorizer" bars once and that's it. Regular Webers in comparison last 4 seasons at best.
    there is nothing like or as relaxing after a hard day or time to be able to go out and through some thing on the grill. charcoal is the only way to go, the smell and flavor of the meat after is wonderful........

Quote Originally Posted by kennesawjet View Post
    there is nothing like or as relaxing after a hard day or time to be able to go out and through some thing on the grill. charcoal is the only way to go, the smell and flavor of the meat after is wonderful........

Been there. Done that. Like others here, would still rather hit the little red button.

However, if i can convince the wife that I'll actually use it on special occasions, I want to have a real Italian outdoor wood brick oven installed. I'm only about 1/2 way home on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Oh. Cool. Can I still PM you for that Sears coupon?
    I think it expires today. You better hurry!

No BMW here, a dime a dozen in these parts.

And there's no way ff2 can claim that charcoal isn't a pain in the ass compared to gas. It's not just the start up, it's alos the clean up.
    WTF...

Let coals burn out...next time to gril, open vent...ash goes down into big whatachamacallit...empty that after 5-6 uses.

Hall Of Fame
    I grill year round. I can't be bothered with trying to use carcoal in the rain or snow. You ever look for a bag of it in January? Not easy to find. In the summer I throw some big parties where I grill over many hours . I don't want to have to refill my grill 3 or times for just one party. Just a royal pain in the ass for marginally better results.
    Yes. I even smoke during the winter. And I stock up on charcoal when it is on sale. I keep about 10 bags in the garage.

The only time I ever use my gas grill is for larger parties where I need the extra grill space so I understand your argument there. But nearly everyone usually asks me whether I am going to use the charcoal grill. Most younger people have been raised on gas grill food and are shocked the first time they taste charcoal.

And the results aren't marginally better. You wouldn't say that if you ever had some great BBQ.

The only thing that's annoying about propane is when it runs out of gas midway through cooking.

The most annoying thing about charcoal is that FF2 uses it and he's really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    WTF...

Let coals burn out...next time to gril, open vent...ash goes down into big whatachamacallit...empty that after 5-6 uses.
    Can I have your recipe for grilled donuts?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Yes. I even smoke during the winter. And I stock up on charcoal when it is on sale. I keep about 10 bags in the garage.

The only time I ever use my gas grill is for larger parties where I need the extra grill space so I understand your argument there. But nearly everyone usually asks me whether I am going to use the charcoal grill. Most younger people have been raised on gas grill food and are shocked the first time they taste charcoal.

And the results aren't marginally better. You wouldn't say that if you ever had some great BBQ.
    You don't BBQ over charcoal. You use wood.

Amateur!

Hall Of Fame
    WTF...

Fvck'em. I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Can I have your recipe for grilled donuts?

Hall Of Fame

New Grill

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You don't BBQ over charcoal. You use wood.

Amateur!
    LOL. FYI charcoal is wood.

Unless you are referring to wood chunks. Which are used for smoke flavor.

BBQ is more of a method of cooking. Low and slow. Grilling is usually hot and fast.

LOL. FYI charcoal is wood.

Unless you are referring to wood chunks. Which are used for smoke flavor.

BBQ is more of a method of cooking. Low and slow. Grilling is usually hot and fast.
    Wood blocks for fire and flavor. Come on man!

Depends on if you have a smoker of course. I've never heard of anyone using charcoal in a smoker.

Hall Of Fame
    Wood chips for flavor. Wood blocks for fire. Come on man!

Depends on if you have a smoker of course. I've never heard of anyone using charcoal in a smoker.
    Are you talking about grilling over fire wood? That is a little dangerous. Or are you talking about lump charcoal. You can smoke with lump and regular charcoal. Or are you talking about pellets which is entirely different.

Are you talking about grilling over fire wood? That is a little dangerous. Or are you talking about lump charcoal. You can smoke with lump and regular charcoal. Or are you talking about pellets which is entirely different.
    I'm talking about grilling over fire wood with a real smoker, yes. Real BBQ!

My buddy has a few of them. Either way, mostly busting chops though.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm talking about grilling over fire wood with a real smoker, yes. Real BBQ!

My buddy has a few of them. Either way, mostly busting chops though.
    I figured

Grilling over firewood like they used to do back in the day is a little dangerous for your health. Raw wood releases toxins when it is burning. I have heard the flavor is good but I wouldn't do it unless it was a survival situation.

I figured

Grilling over firewood like they used to do back in the day is a little dangerous for your health. Raw wood releases toxins when it is burning. I have heard the flavor is good but I wouldn't do it unless it was a survival situation.
    Really? I didn't know that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    that's some kind of rig...what type of truck is needed to haul that? Does it need some kind of generator?

Hall Of Fame

New Grill

Really? I didn't know that.
    Yeah. I am no doctor and haven't done research but I have heard that from many different people. When you burn wood there is black smoke. You are basically eating soot.

The smoke from charcoal is usually white or blueish. And you are supposed to cook after the coals are done smoking and are ashed over.

All League
    Borgo mentioned the Weber Genesis. Top of the line Weber.

Similar Weber model maybe in your $300 to $500 range is the Weber Spirit. One step down from the Genesis.

WTF...

It's more than just clean up and having to stock up on charcoal in winter and all that. Gas is much easier to regulate. I like to sear my meat at 600 degrees and then turn the gas down to about 350 to finish off the steaks, roasts, chops, etc. Not easy to do with charcoal. With gas, I preheat to 600, cook 1 and 1/2 minute on each side and turn the middle burner off , open lid to cool things down to 350 and cook 3-4 minutes on both sides with the lid closed. A 1 and a 1/2'' thick steak is always a perfect medium rare. Always.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 04-01-2013 at 03:45 PM.