Thread: The more footage I watch..the more im okay with Geno

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The more footage I watch..the more im okay with Geno

Im actually warming up to us drafting him. I just don't see it actually happening...

Can you guys see it? I just feel Idzik and Rex want defense and really trust in Sanchez (scary thought)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no way in hell he's dropping to 9. Forget about him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    His footwork looks awful. Even his highlight reel throws, looks like he's dancing the damn Charleston. Throws off his back foot to wide open receivers.

I'd be very worried about Geno in an NFL pocket.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Im actually warming up to us drafting him. I just don't see it actually happening...

Can you guys see it? I just feel Idzik and Rex want defense and really trust in Sanchez (scary thought)
    Where do you get the idea that Idzik trusts Sanchez? What has he even said, or done - other than signing a veteran QB?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

Hes not going to fall to 9. Not because Geno is great but such a weak class of qbs, and there are many teams every year that have strong desire to draft a good qb. Even with all the trades with 3rd class qbs - Flynn,palmer,kolb, ect those guys aren't keeping teams from drafting another qb. Plus I think there is a high chance of a trade up for Geno, teams really want to trade down this year where there is great value late 1st and 2nd round. Somebody always drafts up for a qb.

And Rex definitely no longer trusts Sanchez. He just hasn't had a GM ever give him a viable option at backup.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point it is hard to figure what Idzik's plan is in regards to Rex Ryan. It could be to simply clear away the bad contracts and fix the cap and draft BPA to set up a nice situation for the new coach of 2014. Drawing in a top coach would possibly be easier if the new coach would have the opportunity to pick his own QB.

I also think career wise it is a ballsy move to go with a QB for your first ever draft pick, especially with the QB class we have for 2013.

I think the safest play is to trade back and go O line with his first pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every prospect looks great in Footage! Every single one!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say he is there at 9 and we pass on him. He will free fall on draft day. Worse then aaron rodgers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Every prospect looks great in Footage! Every single one!
    Not really. You can tell a lot from game footage if you know what to look for. Vick for example I dont believe had a fumble in college. But when scouts actually watch the way he ran with the ball it was obvious in the pros he would have issues with fumbling. I think what you mean is you can't trust college stats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    His footwork looks awful. Even his highlight reel throws, looks like he's dancing the damn Charleston. Throws off his back foot to wide open receivers.

I'd be very worried about Geno in an NFL pocket.
    I think Geno will be a good qb but what scares me about him is the playbook he had in WVU and the WCO he would be forced to learn here with the Jets. Geno never lined up under center in college now he'd line up under center every play that was a big reason why Alex Smith was horrific his first several seasons in the NFL he was always in Shotgun in Utah and then had to learn an entirely different offense WCO in SF.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why wouldn't land at 9?? Every team ahead of us parting like the red sea to find a QB elsewhere... I'd say that's telling (ie. their scouting dept is say "NOOO") but apparently I'm the one who thinks he's falling to the 20s.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I think Geno will be a good qb but what scares me about him is the playbook he had in WVU and the WCO he would be forced to learn here with the Jets. Geno never lined up under center in college now he'd line up under center every play that was a big reason why Alex Smith was horrific his first several seasons in the NFL he was always in Shotgun in Utah and then had to learn an entirely different offense WCO in SF.
    Smith played out of a pro set his sophomore season at WVU.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Smith played out of a pro set his sophomore season at WVU.
    Yup - and completed around 65% of his passes with a better than 3-to-1 TD to INT ratio that season, his first as a starter.

The changes to the system allowed him to put up some insane numbers - like his 71% completion, 7 TDs to 1 INT ratio senior year - but let's not pretend it's all about the system and that Geno is an Andre Ware or David Klingler type.

He's not - he's a talent, and I'd have no problem with the Jets taking him if the scouts are convinced and the coaches like his fit for the WCO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I say he is there at 9 and we pass on him. He will free fall on draft day. Worse then aaron rodgers.
    I think you're right...

If the Jets want him, he could be there with the 7th pick in the second round.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand this fascination with Geno Smith.

Because he's one of the highest rated QB in this year's draft, does that make him a viable replacement for Sanchez? Sanchez was one of the highest rated QBs in the 2009 draft, and the Jets traded up and drafted him.

This is a case of wanting what's not on the team because people believe he's better - mainly because nobody has seen him play in a Jets uniform. The unknown vs the known.

Perhaps those people are correct, but I don't understand how people can say that it's a good idea to take GS at #9 considering all the failures the Jets have had drafting in the top 10 over the last decade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno could drop to 9 I believe. It's unlikely but he could.

I'm not a huge fan of Geno though... Don't think his mind is quick enough and don't like his accuracy. I see his best case scenario as an OK QB.

Some of his numbers were also inflated by Tavon Austin taking some 5 yard passes and running the entire field.

I still feel as though the best QB from this draft will be EJ Manuel. Think his traits translate best to the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Geno could drop to 9 I believe. It's unlikely but he could.

I'm not a huge fan of Geno though... Don't think his mind is quick enough and don't like his accuracy. I see his best case scenario as an OK QB.

Some of his numbers were also inflated by Tavon Austin taking some 5 yard passes and running the entire field.

I still feel as though the best QB from this draft will be EJ Manuel. Think his traits translate best to the NFL.

I dont get this logic at all. I am an FSU fan and dont see how Manuels game translates as a pro at all. If you said that of a guy like Barkley or Nessib maybe I'd get it. He is not a physical dynamo or a text book passer. He reminds me of Henne actually. Maybe why I am not a fan. I'll take just about any other QB in the 1st 3 round just not him. If so I will cry.