Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill and Impact Driver recommendations?

Jets Insider VIP

Drill and Impact Driver recommendations?

I usually only trust you guys with legal and medical advice (yes, the finger's fine...thanks for asking). But now it's on to the important stuff....I need some suggestions on drills and/or impact drivers for light duty work around the house as my Craftsman drill just died after many years of loyal service. I've never owned an impact driver, just used a power screwdriver or a regular drill for driving bolts, screws, etc. Now I'm hearing these impact drivers are all the rage.

I'm thinking about getting a drill & impact driver kit (one of each included). There seem to be a lot of these kits available. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible, I'm thinking 18 Volt and looking at Dewalt, Rigid, Milwaukee, Craftsman, etc.

Any advice or recommendations?

Well I was gonna put a link to my "Bought a Drill B*****s" thread but apparently it no longer exists.

WTF!

I have an 18V Milwaukee. It's rad. And it's also red.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Well I was gonna put a link to my "Bought a Drill B*****s" thread but apparently it no longer exists.

WTF!

I have an 18V Milwaukee. It's rad. And it's also red.
    Search the Hangar archive, Lawrence Monoson.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

JS, I have a Bosch and love it. Some have said it's a bit heavy, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I have an 18V Milwaukee.
    shopping in the ladies department again?

Jets Insider VIP
    So Bosch and Milwaukee so far, and both happy customers.

I'm actually looking at this Dewalt right now...

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK211S.../dp/B0044DEXPW

But it's only 12V. Not sure if that would be a big deal for household DIY type jobs.

Any experience with impact drivers vs. regular drills? Apparently impact drivers are better and more efficient at driving screws, bolts, etc. since they torque with a perpendicular hammer motion rather than just spinning, so less stripping of screws, etc.

Hall Of Fame

Drill and Impact Driver recommendations?

Milwaukee. I think you can buy a kit that has both

If you can afford it, go with the 18V. Never know when you might need the extra power.

FYI, Dewalt sucks. It is a glorified Black n Decker. Go Milwaukee or Bosch
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...px?pid=PS31-2A

This Li-On 12V outperformed my old 18V nic-cad Sears by a wide margin.

Sunk about 3 dozen 3 1/2" x 1/4" Lags before battery petered out and switched out to the spare. Charging time is greatly reduced as well.

Added bonus of small form factor for tight spots and not having to carry around a boat anchor.

Very nice for medium duty household work.

Amazon has the 18v li-on impact kit for $288 if you think you need it:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-26618-01.../dp/B003HIWR12

Jets Insider VIP
    I like my Cobra Amp Cell driver a lot. And it comes in 4 colors

All Pro
    I like Makita tools, I'm done with Dewalt. I got this set at Home Depot about 4 years ago and it has been solid. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1005968...a#.UVonF6KmgmQ

I like Home Depots return policy so I buy most all my tools there. I once had a saws sall go bad after 2 years and Home Depot exchanged it for me.

Thing about cordless tools is they last longer then the batteries do and they thrive on use. If you don't plan on using it a lot you might look at Ryobi tools for half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...px?pid=PS31-2A

This Li-On 12V outperformed my old 18V nic-cad Sears by a wide margin.

Sunk about 3 dozen 3 1/2" x 1/4" Lags before battery petered out and switched out to the spare. Charging time is greatly reduced as well.

Added bonus of small form factor for tight spots and not having to carry around a boat anchor.

Very nice for medium duty household work.

Amazon has the 18v li-on impact kit for $288 if you think you need it:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-26618-01.../dp/B003HIWR12

================================================

This is a great tool, although my Bosch suddenly froze up after about a 1 1/2 years of flawless performance and I replaced it with the Milwaukee version.

This is my go to driver for most anything it has surprising power but is much lighter and smaller then my bigger drivers. It wont accept a standard drill bit because of the chuck.

Jets Insider VIP
    I've got a bunch of tools from the Ryobi Plus One line. The batteries hold up very well, even on the blower. The drill has an amazing amount of torque.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I've got a bunch of tools from the Ryobi Plus One line. The batteries hold up very well, even on the blower. The drill has an amazing amount of torque.

==================================================

I think there is tremendous value in Ryobi tools. There like Hundais where Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc. are Chevies and Fords.

The other thing to mention is that there is a learning curve for impact drivers, need to keep things straight with good pressure on the fastener and they spin real fast to start. No huge deal, just that you should practice with it a bit before you decide to adjust your cabinet hardware.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I usually only trust you guys with legal and medical advice (yes, the finger's fine...thanks for asking). But now it's on to the important stuff....I need some suggestions on drills and/or impact drivers for light duty work around the house as my Craftsman drill just died after many years of loyal service. I've never owned an impact driver, just used a power screwdriver or a regular drill for driving bolts, screws, etc. Now I'm hearing these impact drivers are all the rage.

I'm thinking about getting a drill & impact driver kit (one of each included). There seem to be a lot of these kits available. I'd like to stay under $200 if possible, I'm thinking 18 Volt and looking at Dewalt, Rigid, Milwaukee, Craftsman, etc.

Any advice or recommendations?
    PM me any tax questions.... As barter, I just bought a grill and may need your tools to assemble it.

All League
    Check out the Rigid sets at Home Depot. Have the 18 volt with a life time warrentey on the batteries. A major plus.

Hitachi Lithium-ion makes the best cordless sets. An 18v set will last you for many, many years- even if you're not using them daily like I do. I'll use mine for 40 hrs some weeks (metal framing), then a month of no use. A nice light weight, powerful drill.

Even if you don't buy Hitachi, DO Not buy a non Lithium-ion set. Batteries stay charged and charge quickly <20min

All League
    If you can find it, google Popular Mechanics drill driver review. They tested a bunch. I forget which one came out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    shopping in the ladies department again?
    She's one bad ass b!tch. You bite your tongue!

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245151

My hard learned lesson, make sure you have good and proper bits for your hammer drill when you get it, it makes all the difference in the work.

I've had my Dewalt 18V hammer drill for several years now and it's held up nice !
    I also switched the older style 18V batteries over to the newer Dewalt lithium ion version and multi-batt charging station.

All League
    Hitachi 18v lithium. It's awesome. about $180-200 and comes with 2 batteries and a flashlight. Charges in one hr. I've had it for a year or 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    If you can find it, google Popular Mechanics drill driver review. They tested a bunch. I forget which one came out on top.
    Thanks. Makita and Bosch came out pretty well.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...n-test#slide-6