Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill and Impact Driver recommendations?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 1greenNUT View Post
    Hitachi Lithium-ion makes the best cordless sets. An 18v set will last you for many, many years- even if you're not using them daily like I do. I'll use mine for 40 hrs some weeks (metal framing), then a month of no use. A nice light weight, powerful drill.

Even if you don't buy Hitachi, DO Not buy a non Lithium-ion set. Batteries stay charged and charge quickly <20min
    Porter Cable makes a 20v lithium ion impact driver with 1450 in/lbs of torque vs 1200 for the Hitachi. I love my Hitachi but it cost $40 more and less torque. Both are sold at Home Depot or Lowes.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    So Bosch and Milwaukee so far, and both happy customers.

I'm actually looking at this Dewalt right now...

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK211S.../dp/B0044DEXPW

But it's only 12V. Not sure if that would be a big deal for household DIY type jobs.

Any experience with impact drivers vs. regular drills? Apparently impact drivers are better and more efficient at driving screws, bolts, etc. since they torque with a perpendicular hammer motion rather than just spinning, so less stripping of screws, etc.
    +1

weekend warriors and part time handymen picture hangers can do just fine with harbor freight tools.

guys who work for a living stick with Makita.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Eh, I hate that I agree with you. I work in manufacturing and most of the shops I've been in use Makita. The rest use Milwaukee and they all say DeWalt batteries are garbage after a few months.

Jets Insider VIP
    weekend warriors and part time handymen picture hangers can do just fine with harbor freight tools.

Makita is definitely good, like a Hyundai or Kia, but Bosch and Hitachi are really, really good. Think Audi good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Makita is definitely good, like a Hyundai or Kia, but Bosch and Hitachi are really, really good. Think Audi good.
    bosch makes dishwashers hitachi makes womens vibrators. I'll stick with Makita the Cadillac of power tools.

Jets Insider VIP
    bosch makes dishwashers hitachi makes womens vibrators. I'll stick with Makita the Cadillac of power tools.
    Indeed, they do at that. But Hitachi is a very diversified company that makes everything, from what you named all the way up to earth moving equipment. Bosch is a hugely respected and diversified company and is the world's largest supplier of automotive components for companies like Audi. Both make what are considered to be the best drivers available today, with Makita and Milwaukee right behind them. You enjoy your Caddy, I'll continue to enjoy my Audi.

Jets Insider VIP
    or you could be a Kenmore amongst a bunch of Vikings.

Jets Insider VIP
    I was lucky enough to have a Lowe's gift card drop in my lap for $200, so that's where I'm going to purchase.

Unfortunately, I think this scratches Makita off the list (Lowe's doesn't seem to carry that brand). I've narrowed my choices down to a Dewalt and a Bosch 2-tool kit...

I'm leaning towards the Dewalt for a few reasons.

First, I like the 3 year warranty on tools and batteries vs. 1 warranty for the Bosch.

Second, is that the Dewalt is listed at 20 volt max vs. 18 volt for the Bosch. I'm not quite sure what that means though. Does the Dewalt run at a consistent 12 or 18 volts steady-state, but can spin up and draw 20 volts for a temporary burst? Looking at the weight of the units, their equivalent 1.50 Amp Hours, etc. I'm suspecting they're both in the 18 V range. EDIT: Found that the nominal voltage is 18 on the Dewalt, but it lists an "initial battery voltage = 20"

Finally, the pricing is a little better on the Dewalt.

Both have excellent customer reviews (5 stars) although the Dewalt has a larger sample size of reviews, 12.

Thoughts? Any reason not to go with this Dewalt kit?
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-08-2013 at 01:23 PM.

All League
    has anyone asked you what you will be using it for mostly?

If it's for around the house type stuff, I'd say take the DeWalt and save yourself $70.

Personally I don't like DeWalt - seems overpriced. You pay more for the name, not the tool.

Veteran
    I do light home remolding as a second job on the side, I am partial to Bosch and Milwaukee, but my drill of choice is Dwalt. Home Depot $129.00
    DEWALT 18-Volt XRP 1/2 in. Cordless Hammer Drill/Driver (Tool Only), Model # DCD950B. .

Personally, I would step it up and go for the Lithium-ion compact hammer drill for $239.00, Model # DCD785C2, it is a bit pricy but worth every penny.

good luck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    has anyone asked you what you will be using it for mostly?

If it's for around the house type stuff, I'd say take the DeWalt and save yourself $70.

Personally I don't like DeWalt - seems overpriced. You pay more for the name, not the tool.
    Good question. It's primarily around the house DIY stuff, some minor remodeling work, fence repairs, fastening, hanging shelves, etc.

I'm a little puzzled that you think Dewalt is overpriced when it's almost 25% cheaper than the Bosch for almost identical tools (1/2" Drill, 1/4" Impact Driver both with Lithium Ion batteries) and has the longer warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    I do light home remolding as a second job on the side, I am partial to Bosch and Milwaukee, but my drill of choice is Dwalt. Home Depot $129.00
    DEWALT 18-Volt XRP 1/2 in. Cordless Hammer Drill/Driver (Tool Only), Model # DCD950B. .

Personally, I would step it up and go for the Lithium-ion compact hammer drill for $239.00, Model # DCD785C2, it is a bit pricy but worth every penny.

good luck.
    I'm definitely going with lithium ion even though a similar Ni Cad set would be at least $50 cheaper. Not sure I need the hammer drill though as I'm not planning on major construction stuff like hammer drilling into concrete, etc.

I appreciate the continued advice.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-08-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good question. It's primarily around the house DIY stuff, some minor remodeling work, fence repairs, fastening, hanging shelves, etc.

I'm a little puzzled that you think Dewalt is overpriced when it's almost 25% cheaper than the Bosch for almost identical tools (1/2" Drill, 1/4" Impact Driver both with Lithium Ion batteries) and has the longer warranty.

I'm definitely going with lithium ion even though a similar Ni Cad set would be at least $50 cheaper. Not sure I need the hammer drill though as I'm not planning on major construction stuff like hammer drilling into concrete, etc.

I appreciate the continued advice.
    hammer drill would be good for shooting drywall screws into old studs: some of that is really tough.

All League

I understand - I meant you could probably get something even cheaper that'll do exactly what you're looking for. Ryobi or something. You might save some $$ by going with a 12v instead of an 18v, also. Prolly won't need 18v for around the house stuff. Even for remodeling. Two batteries - charge one, use one. As soon as one is out of juice, use the charger one, and plug the old one in. It'll be charged by the time the next one runs out.

I used to have an old 12v Black n Decker Firestorm. Worked like a charm, 'cept it was discontinued, and finally the battery charger shlt the bed. Replaced with a Li Ion Ryobi 12v. Works like a charm. Smaller size for getting in to tight spaces to install joist blocking or whatever.

Jets Insider VIP
    I was lucky enough to have a Lowe's gift card drop in my lap for $200, so that's where I'm going to purchase.

Unfortunately, I think this scratches Makita off the list (Lowe's doesn't seem to carry that brand). I've narrowed my choices down to a Dewalt and a Bosch 2-tool kit...

I'm leaning towards the Dewalt for a few reasons.

First, I like the 3 year warranty on tools and batteries vs. 1 warranty for the Bosch.

Second, is that the Dewalt is listed at 20 volt max vs. 18 volt for the Bosch. I'm not quite sure what that means though. Does the Dewalt run at a consistent 12 or 18 volts steady-state, but can spin up and draw 20 volts for a temporary burst? Looking at the weight of the units, their equivalent 1.50 Amp Hours, etc. I'm suspecting they're both in the 18 V range. EDIT: Found that the nominal voltage is 18 on the Dewalt, but it lists an "initial battery voltage = 20"

Finally, the pricing is a little better on the Dewalt.

Both have excellent customer reviews (5 stars) although the Dewalt has a larger sample size of reviews, 12.

Thoughts? Any reason not to go with this Dewalt kit?
    Once again, I have to recommend the Bosch, despite the price difference. I went to Amazon to see reviews, both are the same (4.5) with a similar sample size (Bosch is a bit larger). The really screwy thing is, the Bosch on Amazon is less than the price of the Dewalt at Lowe's, while the Dewalt there is $40 more than Lowe's.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK280C.../dp/B0052MIIX2

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CLPK232-.../dp/B005GT0IXO

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I understand - I meant you could probably get something even cheaper that'll do exactly what you're looking for. Ryobi or something. You might save some $$ by going with a 12v instead of an 18v, also. Prolly won't need 18v for around the house stuff. Even for remodeling. Two batteries - charge one, use one. As soon as one is out of juice, use the charger one, and plug the old one in. It'll be charged by the time the next one runs out.

I used to have an old 12v Black n Decker Firestorm. Worked like a charm, 'cept it was discontinued, and finally the battery charger shlt the bed. Replaced with a Li Ion Ryobi 12v. Works like a charm. Smaller size for getting in to tight spaces to install joist blocking or whatever.
    Got it! That's a good point. Do I really need 18V or can I do with the 12V? I might have to consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Once again, I have to recommend the Bosch, despite the price difference. I went to Amazon to see reviews, both are the same (4.5) with a similar sample size (Bosch is a bit larger). The really screwy thing is, the Bosch on Amazon is less than the price of the Dewalt at Lowe's, while the Dewalt there is $40 more than Lowe's.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK280C.../dp/B0052MIIX2

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CLPK232-.../dp/B005GT0IXO
    Definitely strange.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ryobi.

Their newest line has a battery indicator, LED lights and the magnet for holding screws and nuts. Their cordless saw also has a laser line which has come in handy.

They also have a cordless brad nailer and a cordless paint sprayer. And the weed wacker, hedge clippers and edger work pretty well too...