Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Spare QB Thread draft sign trade

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Random Spare QB Thread draft sign trade

Repeat afer me: the solution to the Jets QB problems:
    1) is not on the roster
    2) is not available in the FA market
    3) is not going to be drafted in this years 1st round by the Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait till you see Matt Sims in Marty's new offence be for you start a chanting.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    1) is not on the roster
    so there's no solution?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love threads like this. What about when Kurt Warner went to the Cardinals, what did you say then? He sucks, he's a bum? What about Russel Wilson or RG3? The Jets should fire their scouting department and hire you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well let's recap then. QBs that could be available in 2014:

Bridgewater
    Murray
    Logan Thomas
    Boyd
    Mettenberger
    Carr
    Manziel
    Mariota

I would think that the highest ceiling guys are Bridgewater, Manziel, and Mariota.

Manziel and Mariota will both have 2 years of eligibility AFTER next season. When was the last time a 3rd year sophomore came to the NFL and was successful? I would think both stay in school.

That leaves Bridgewater and a bunch of question marks, probably on the same level of this year. Maybe Boyd has the potential to be on the level of Geno Smith. Maybe.

So now all we have to do is draft Bridgewater. If he stays healthy AND he keeps playing at the level he played at this year (Barkley was the highest rated guy last year) so this is far from assured.

If he does, and he looks like the next franchise QB, we will need the top pick in the draft. Of course, If Flynn sucks as bad as this board makes him out to be, then Oakland will surely have the top pick.

Or maybe we can trade up to get Bridgewater. All it took Washington last year was 3 first round picks. Whose ready to do that?

If the FO thinks Geno Smith can be a good QB than we need to take him. Smith, Barkley, and Nassib have more potential than Mark Sanchez who at this point would have been acceptable to have his 2800 yards passing if he could just stop turning over the damn ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    so there's no solution?
    Not this year. NOt even the Jets, I don't think, would throw a rookie QB to the wolves with this horrendous O-line. I think they will focus on solidifying it with high quality early picks and fill in some holes on defense and take a lower round QB and wait till next year for the real QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh ok...I guess you know MORE than the Jets staff....sorry bro but I got faith in rex and idzik and co

1) is not on the roster

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Not this year. NOt even the Jets, I don't think, would throw a rookie QB to the wolves with this horrendous O-line. I think they will focus on solidifying it with high quality early picks and fill in some holes on defense and take a lower round QB and wait till next year for the real QB.
    Horrendous? Wow, not even close. And offensive linemen are a dime a dozen in the draft. There are a lot of quality starting offensive linemen who get drafted between the 4th and 6th round. There is no need to go offensive linemen in the first 3 rounds. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Horrendous? Wow, not even close. And offensive linemen are a dime a dozen in the draft. There are a lot of quality starting offensive linemen who get drafted between the 4th and 6th round. There is no need to go offensive linemen in the first 3 rounds. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball.
    There are 3 OT's and 3 OG's rated in those 3 rounds. Is that 'a lot'? Who do you project as Brandon Moore's replacement and Matt Slauson and you think Ducasse is going to be fine?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ts83 View Post
    I love threads like this. What about when Kurt Warner went to the Cardinals, what did you say then? He sucks, he's a bum? What about Russel Wilson or RG3? The Jets should fire their scouting department and hire you.
    My point is that it will take incredible luck to find a QB this year. There are no RG3 or Luck's in the draft. Reaching for a mediocre prospect like Smith or Barkley I the 1st round is stupid.

The best case scenario is we hit on a 2nd rounder or later.

Warner is a great story, but he was the exception. Has there been anyone like him since? Gone from arena the to borderline HOF? No
    Last edited by Digetydog; 04-02-2013 at 05:03 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well let's recap then. QBs that could be available in 2014:

Bridgewater
    Murray
    Logan Thomas
    Boyd
    Mettenberger
    Carr
    Manziel
    Mariota

I would think that the highest ceiling guys are Bridgewater, Manziel, and Mariota.

Manziel and Mariota will both have 2 years of eligibility AFTER next season. When was the last time a 3rd year sophomore came to the NFL and was successful? I would think both stay in school.

That leaves Bridgewater and a bunch of question marks, probably on the same level of this year. Maybe Boyd has the potential to be on the level of Geno Smith. Maybe.

So now all we have to do is draft Bridgewater. If he stays healthy AND he keeps playing at the level he played at this year (Barkley was the highest rated guy last year) so this is far from assured.

If he does, and he looks like the next franchise QB, we will need the top pick in the draft. Of course, If Flynn sucks as bad as this board makes him out to be, then Oakland will surely have the top pick.

Or maybe we can trade up to get Bridgewater. All it took Washington last year was 3 first round picks. Whose ready to do that?

If the FO thinks Geno Smith can be a good QB than we need to take him. Smith, Barkley, and Nassib have more potential than Mark Sanchez who at this point would have been acceptable to have his 2800 yards passing if he could just stop turning over the damn ball.
    Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.

Love the thought from many that the Jets will "just get Bridgewater next year." Guess we should also be killing Tanny for not going to get Luck last year. If Tanny had just grabbed Luck last year, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My point is that it will take incredible luck to find a QB this year. There are no RG3 or Luck's in the draft. Reaching for a mediocre prospect like Smith or Barkley I the 1st round is stupid.

Warner is a great story, but he was the exception. Has there been anyone like him since? Gone from arena the to borderline HOF? No
    It's rare that there are ever RGIII's and Luck's. Luck was said to be the best prospect in a generation.

Brees, Brady, Ben, Rodgers none of them were top 10 picks

Which is to say they weren't "locks" when they came out either.

You have to take a shot on QB's and hope you hit. Sanchez wasn't the guy so we have to keep trying. No one really knows, not even the scouts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

It takes incredible luck to find a QB ANY year. That's part of the reason why the Jets have only drafted two above-average ones in the last 30 years. That's also why you have to at least strongly consider taking the top prospect from any season if he falls in your lap and you have a need at the position.

However, I will agree with all three of your points if Smith is gone before #9.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Outside of LT and C , what positions on the offensive line do you feel confident about?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    It's rare that there are ever RGIII's and Luck's. Luck was said to be the best prospect in a generation.

Brees, Brady, Ben, Rodgers none of them were top 10 picks

Which is to say they weren't "locks" when they came out either.

You have to take a shot on QB's and hope you hit. Sanchez wasn't the guy so we have to keep trying. No one really knows, not even the scouts.
    This is a good post and I think a lot of people are hitting on good points here.

If your team needs a perfect "lock" qb to use a draft pick on, then you could conceivably be drafting for the next 10 years without finding or being in position to take one.

There's no doubt there are a few better starting qb's in this draft than what we have now and there's probably at least one qb who ends up being a great pro.

Trust your scouts, we could have had Rusell Wilson last year if they listened to Bradway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    This is a good post and I think a lot of people are hitting on good points here.

If your team needs a perfect "lock" qb to use a draft pick on, then you could conceivably be drafting for the next 10 years without finding or being in position to take one.

There's no doubt there are a few better starting qb's in this draft than what we have now and there's probably at least one qb who ends up being a great pro.

Trust your scouts, we could have had Rusell Wilson last year if they listened to Bradway.
    And that's assuming you happen to be the worst team in football the year he comes out. The last two that were considered that high a prospect both ended up going to Indy.

Otherwise what other "Lock" has there been that actually ended up being good?

Lot's of top 3 picks ended up being awful.

I completely agree - If your scouts like a guy and your current roster of QB's are Sanchez, Tebow, Garrard and Greg McElroy you MUST take him.

Lastly, I'm all for BPA - EXCEPT QB - that's because QB has such a disproportionate outcome over the game than any other position.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) is not on the roster
    Thank you very much, 100% agreed. I might add, is not going to be drafted in the 1st three rounds by the Jets in this draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Thank you very much, 100% agreed. I might add, is not going to be drafted in the 1st three rounds by the Jets in this draft.
    They are taking a QB in the second or third round. If people think that Garrard is going to be the only addition to create competition at the QB position, they are mistaken. Any QB taken later than that will not be serious competition, maybe for the 3rd QB spot, but not the starter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Honestly, how can you say that with any real level of confidence, just looking at the last two years?

Wilson and Kaepernick?

Even if you want to call those two flukes...Of the top 10 QB's in the NFL right now 6/7 of them weren't top 10 picks.