Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Francesa Signs Multi-Year Contract Extension With WFAN

@MikeFrancesaNY: Youah know I dont like to tawk about dis a lawt but I would say dat I am stayin with da company foah da rest of my careeah.

@MikeFrancesaNY: I would say dat dis will be da duration. When we ah done with dis deal we'll be done. Get awl youah can dese last fawr yeahs cawse dis is it

Via Newsday:

Mike Francesa is not going anywhere anytime soon, but he indicated Tuesday that his new contract with WFAN will take him to the end of his radio career.

"We will be staying around for what I would say will be the duration, let's just put it that way; that will be it," he said early in his show, after the station announced an extension of his contract that was to expire early in 2014.

"When we're done with this deal we'll be done, but it's not for a long time."

Terms were not announced, but a person familiar with the new deal said it runs through 2017 and will pay about $20 million in total -- approximately the same $5 million per year Francesa, 59, earns under his current contract.

Still unresolved is whether the YES Network simulcast of the show will continue. That contract expires after 2013.

Francesa's Sunday morning NFL show now will be heard across CBS Radio's national network.

There is no chance Francesa will re-unite with his long-time partner, Chris "Mad Dog" Russo, whose contract at Sirius XM Satellite Radio expires in September. Russo's future beyond that remains unresolved.

"I'm very proud of what we have accomplished at WFAN," Francesa said in a news release. "I am also honored and thankful to CBS Radio for its continued commitment, and most of all to the listeners for their enduring loyalty."

Francesa, who lives in Manhasset, told Newsday in January of 2012 he was leaning toward leaving the station when his current contract expired, in part to be free to spend early evenings with his young children, but he evidently had a change of heart.

Francesa joined WFAN in 1987 and has been an afternoon host since 1989. He and Russo parted ways in 2008.

For the time being, Francesa and the rest of WFAN's programs will be heard on both 660-AM and 101.9-FM. At some point CBS is expected to move its national programming onto one of the channels but that move likely will not happen until 2014 at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mike Francesa owes his newfound popularity to a new generation of callers who find ways to annoy the Sports Pope

Like great plays in a game, or famous comedy sketches, some of the episodes fueled by Francesa and his cult can be described in a few words: 'The Nap,' 'The Weatherman,' 'Al Alburquerque' and 'LIPA Sucks.'

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Saturday, February 16, 2013

There are at least two people who consider Mike (Sports Pope) Francesa a radio genius. One is Francesa. The other is his boss Mark Chernoff.

We now are gravitating toward their way of thinking. For it takes a genius, or someone with dumb luck, to reinvent himself after nearly three decades behind the WFAN microphone. That’s what the Pope has done. He has found a way to attract that coveted younger demographic.

This ain’t an easy thing to do. It took years. Francesa has no idea of his transformation. He is too oblivious to the fact he has stumbled onto something that has livened up a stale act. In this age when radio hungers for younger listeners, the Pope has found a way to deliver. It has nothing to do with FAN moving to an FM schtick, song parodies or guy talk.

Through all his gaffes, haughty pronouncements, bogus predictions, laughable alibis and delusional excuses, the Pope, with his own brand of ineptitude, has created a culture of attracting younger callers who love getting under his skin. Call it pranking. Call it goofing. Most importantly, call it hysterical and highly entertaining.

It’s taken years, but Francesa has finally found himself a partner, a Chris (Mad Dog) Russo, so to speak — thousands of them.

Like great plays in a game, or famous comedy sketches, some of the episodes fueled by Francesa and his cult can be described in a few words: “The Nap,” “The Weatherman,” “Al Alburquerque” and “LIPA Sucks.” There are plenty more. They have all provided welcome relief from his sleep-inducing, repetitious analysis.

Some of his colleagues have suggested Francesa lighten up, laugh at himself when confronted. No way. These first-timers are like kids at a zoo, trying to poke the big bear with a little stick.

You want the bear agitated, you want to hear him say how long he’s “been doing this” and “how much they pay me.” You want to hear him ask: “Do you really think this kind of nonsense bothers me?”

Of course it does. That’s the beauty of this. He’s got a good thing going, but can’t help regularly displaying his thin skin. It’s spontaneous confrontation. Only a Gasbag as pompous as the Pope could make it work.

Unlike all other shows, Francesa doesn’t need to “tease,” what’s coming up every 30 seconds because listeners will stick around anxious to hear whether the next caller will prey on the Pontiff’s obtuseness.

Or get his latest weather forecast.

The man deserves a raise.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ra...icle-1.1266031
    spot on.

This article says it all.

All Pro
    I can't believe this pig with dry cotton for a tongue can not only have an audience but thrive in the New York market. It's amazing to me that people listen to him and that someone more appealing hasn't overtaken him in ratings.

Practice Squad

Talking

It was always entertaining years ago (I did actually listen then) when he and Russo would be on with their wives and swap Christmas presents live on the air. So much OOOOOO, AAAAAAH. It was all so ridiculous and hypocritical, knowing they all hated each other. Hey Mike swap some presents on the air, it makes for great radio. LOLOL

maybe i'm wrong but i just don't see how fatcessa can increase his viewr/listening audience. he's really bad. of course the rest of the programming is no great shakes either. time to clean the whole station out.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He's getting the extension because all of the people that are complaining about him, also listen to him all day.

Guys like imus, stern, francessa always threaten that they are close to retiring but they never do. The fat man loves his power. He will be in that seat sipping on diet coke until he drops dead.

Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    Bad move in my opinion and not at all b/c of his Jet hatred I just think the guy is starting to become, old, boring and more and more irrelevant as the years go on. If anything they should be looking to bring in a younger co-host I think "his brand" is not resonating with that younger demographic.
    That was my impression, too. I guess to be fair I don't listen to him that often any more. And I do sometimes enjoy his Sunday morning NFL shows. But yeah he seems to just be getting older, crankier, and less and less with it. I don't want to overstate that, but he does seem to have lost a step. And he's only 59? Jeez, the years have not been kind. If the contract really goes to 2017, I shudder at the thought of what the guy will look and sound like by then.

Mike Francesa ‏@MikeFrancesaNY
    I brought youah Piazzer and Ike. I had LIPER bring da powah back. I canceled da marathawn. And I just got da lunertic @CoachMikeRice canned!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Mike should send a thank you card to any Jet fans that listen to his boring and unlistenable show

turn the fat pig off and leave the fat pig off
    + 1

I refuse to listen to fat bastid!

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mike Francesa ‏@MikeFrancesaNY
    I brought youah Piazzer and Ike. I had LIPER bring da powah back. I canceled da marathawn. And I just got da lunertic @CoachMikeRice canned!
    That spoof twitter account is must follow on twatter. COMEDY GOLD

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    I simply don't understand why people listen to the guy, thus keeping him on air. Even fellows who can't stand him listen to him. It's borderline non-sexual masochism.
    Guilty!

When he hung up on the Al Albuquerque caller because he thought it was a prank...then played if off like he knew who Al Albuquerque was all along....when he declared there would no blizzard, then spent days fending off calls from people buried in SUffolk county ridiculing him...it was gold to me.

And its quite sexual for me.

He's on in 3 minutes and I'm getting warm.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Guilty!

When he hung up on the Al Albuquerque caller because he thought it was a prank...then played if off like he knew who Al Albuquerque was all along....when he declared there would no blizzard, then spent days fending off calls from people buried in SUffolk county ridiculing him...it was gold to me.

And its quite sexual for me.

He's on in 3 minutes and I'm getting warm.

-
    I'm sure it makes for great radio. I'd be guilty of listening to that repititious blowhard make an ass out of himself all day as well. The part that irks me is that those moments are too few and far between...and in the process of listening for that stuff, we're exposed to his plutonium grade idiocity, thereby causing a further downward spiral on the already deteriorating sports intel between the passive, can't think for themselves public, and the maroons in the media.

Anyway, enough serious talk for one day. Quick, do a fatcessa impression, ogay.

This is like Larry King getting another contract.

Jets Insider VIP
    People still listen to sports radio? That's sad.

He's garbage.

DUMP!

And why does he get an extension?

Because whether or not you hate him or like him, EVERYONE talks about it and for whatever reason people who hate him continue to tune in. He's intelligent when it comes to baseball (I think), but brings nothing else to the table unless it's time to talk about golf or tennis. Personally I haven't tuned into more than a handful of his broadcasts in the last five or six years, so maybe he's even gotten worse at all of those sports, but those who complain probably have themselves to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    And why does he get an extension?

Because whether or not you hate him or like him, EVERYONE talks about it and for whatever reason people who hate him continue to tune in. He's intelligent when it comes to baseball (I think), but brings nothing else to the table unless it's time to talk about golf or tennis. Personally I haven't tuned into more than a handful of his broadcasts in the last five or six years, so maybe he's even gotten worse at all of those sports, but those who complain probably have themselves to blame.
    He has absolutely gotten worse.

He is more crass

He is more arrogant.

He is more condescending

He is more unprofessional

His shows are less entertaining sans Russo

Get the picture?

Do you want to blame the listeners for his actions? You have that right. My opinion; He is a grown man who is over 50 years old. He is responsible for his content and actions, not Bob from the Bronx.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 04-04-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Francesa, who lives in Manhasset, told Newsday in January of 2012 he was leaning toward leaving the station when his current contract expired, in part to be free to spend early evenings with his young children, but he evidently had a change of heart.
    I totally understand when people claim that they want to spend more time with their families. I get it - people work hard and definitely make sacrifices.

But this guy? He works 5 hours a day and preps for work by sitting in front of the fuking TV and internet watching sports. And the good 5 hours too - he's not up at 4am to be on the air at 6am like Greenie is - he's on the air starting at 1pm and is done by 6pm. I worked longer hours at Dunkin Donuts at my summer job during high school.

He can make his kids breakfast, prepare their lunch, walk them to the bus, watch baseball tonight 3x over, be at work and still be home for dinner at 7pm.

Most of us can legitimately claim to want to spend more time with our family. This guy cannot - sorry pal.

Oh yeah, and he talks funny too.