Thread: Buster Olney: Robinson Cano Fires Boras

Buster Olney: Robinson Cano Fires Boras

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
    Filed to ESPN.com : Robinson Cano is changing agents, after quietly looking for new representation, and firing Scott Boras.

All Pro
    Clear sign he wants to talk extension. Boras never does.

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN
    Source tells me Robinson Cano plans to hire CAA to represent him, with Jay-Z's Roc Nation handling his marketing.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
    Jay Z is starting a sports rep agency, attached to CAA, and Robinson Cano will be its first client.

All League
    That's very good news for the Yankees. Boras makes everything very difficult.

Yankees have to get a deal done with Cano. It's the biggest no-brainer ever.

Hall Of Fame
    I wish the Yanks would stop affiliating with Jay Z but if it gets the Cano deal done then fine.

Sounds like Cano wants to get a deal done. Boras ALWAYS drags things out.

@MikeFrancesaNY: Jay Z and da Rawk can DRAMATICALLY altah da agent business, ok. Dis Rawk Nation Spawts wants to keep Cano in New Yawk so dis is good foah NY

If only Revis can do the same

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I wish the Yanks would stop affiliating with Jay Z but if it gets the Cano deal done then fine.

Sounds like Cano wants to get a deal done. Boras ALWAYS drags things out.
    If Boras lost Cano over this, he's an idiot. I understand that Boras's hallmark is to extract the last dollar out of teams, but his first job as an agent is to get done what his client wants.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @MikeFrancesaNY: Jay Z and da Rawk can DRAMATICALLY altah da agent business, ok. Dis Rawk Nation Spawts wants to keep Cano in New Yawk so dis is good foah NY
    Mike mentioned this earlier today on his show. Should make his many fans here on JI.com exceedingly happy.

Yes, that was white smoke pouring out of the FAN Cave Tuesday morning.
    Mike (Sports Pope) Francesa has signed a multi-year contract extension that will keep him as the station’s afternoon-drive host for “several years to come,” according to CBS Radio (it owns FAN) suits.

In a prepared missive to the unwashed masses, Francesa said he is “proud” of his accomplishments, paid tribute to the suits who sign his paychecks, and “most of all the listeners for their enduring loyalty.”

As expected, tributes to the Pontiff came rolling in from around the world.
    “Mike has earned his place in radio history as a great broadcaster,” said CBS Radio president/CEO Dan Mason.

“Like no one else, Mike can take a story to the next level and involve his listeners in thought provoking ways,” gushed FAN boss Mark Chernoff.

As part of his deal, the Pope’s Sunday morning sermon, aka “The NFL Now,” will now be heard on CBS Sports Radio (it will still be on WFAN) and will be made available to more than 250 affiliates across the country.

Francesa joined FAN in 1987 and was eventually teamed with Chris (Mad Dog) Russo, who now yakks at SiriusXM.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fr...#ixzz2PKjX6hBH

All Pro
    Very good news for the Yankees.

This is a huge move in the business, too. Unlike the last rapper to try this, Master P, Jay-Z actually has a brain and he will be very successful in using his name to poach players from other agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If Boras lost Cano over this, he's an idiot. I understand that Boras's hallmark is to extract the last dollar out of teams, but his first job as an agent is to get done what his client wants.
    There is no reason for Cano to play hard ball with the Yankees. He is the best 2nd baseman in the game and will get top 5 player money from them. It is not like he will make a whole lot more risking an injury to hit FA next year. If Boras was trying to get a 10 year deal or something crazy he should have been fired. You aren't going to see the Yankees bidding against themselves anymore. The new luxury tax penalties and new ownership pretty much guarantee that.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    There is no reason for Cano to play hard ball with the Yankees. He is the best 2nd baseman in the game and will get top 5 player money from them. It is not like he will make a whole lot more risking an injury to hit FA next year. If Boras was trying to get a 10 year deal or something crazy he should have been fired. You aren't going to see the Yankees bidding against themselves anymore. The new luxury tax penalties and new ownership pretty much guarantee that.

Please explain how the bolded statement meshes with the Yankees trading for Vernon Wells?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Please explain how the bolded statement meshes with the Yankees trading for Vernon Wells?
    Angels are paying most of his contract.

It's not the amount of the contract, it's the fact the Yankees are not on the hook for most of it.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Angels are paying most of his contract.

It's not the amount of the contract, it's the fact the Yankees are not on the hook for most of it.
    I understand they are paying him $13.9 million for 2013 & 2014.

To me that seems like a lot of money for a guy who will be out of a job in May when Granderson returns.

But wht do I know about baseball ...I am a Mets fan

I understand they are paying him $13.9 million for 2013 & 2014.

To me that seems like a lot of money for a guy who will be out of a job in May when Granderson returns.

They will likely trade Grand at the deadline this year. He is likely not coming back and I dont see us in the PO hunt. Also it is very likely Itchy and Gardner miss games this year. I was actually looking forward to seeing those 3 OF we have in AAA right now though. Dont know why we are stacking old guys as depth to be honest. Most of them are just cheap but still good players I guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    You do understand the Wells deal actually helps the payroll situation?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1298453

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    You do understand the Wells deal actually helps the payroll situation?

-

This is great news for the Yankees... I was thinking it wasn't going to be worth locking up Cano and may have considered trading him. But now that he changed agents the likelyhood of getting a deal done during the season and a more reasonable deal has increased. Boras would have dragged this out into FA and tried to get him every penny possible.