Thread: World Autism Awareness Day

Jets Insider VIP

World Autism Awareness Day

While the nation's largest autism "advocacy" group runs around all over the place lighting up things blue, Governor Cuomo announces a massive cut to Medicaid for the developmentally disabled. This is aimed at the overbilling discovered by Congress, but we all know that will continue as the funds available will still continue to be misappropriated, just at the cost of those who need them. Real courage in doing that, Gov.

Can't say it enough; disposable people. The elderly are next, mark my words. The bad old days are right around the corner.

If you get a chance to, do something truly meaningful for a person or family with autism this month. Even if it's volunteering your time at a home, bringing some supplies to a school or an offer to run to the store for a family. It will mean a lot, trust me. Just please don't send money to one of these big box organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    While the nation's largest autism "advocacy" group runs around all over the place lighting up things blue, Governor Cuomo announces a massive cut to Medicaid for the developmentally disabled. This is aimed at the overbilling discovered by Congress, but we all know that will continue as the funds available will still continue to be misappropriated, just at the cost of those who need them. Real courage in doing that, Gov.

Can't say it enough; disposable people. The elderly are next, mark my words. The bad old days are right around the corner.

If you get a chance to, do something truly meaningful for a person or family with autism this month. Even if it's volunteering your time at a home, bringing some supplies to a school or an offer to run to the store for a family. It will mean a lot, trust me. Just please don't send money to one of these big box organizations.
    Amen brother. I still would encourage folks however to donate to Autism Speaks or a similar organization if they don't have the time, inclination or opportunity to help out directly.

The sad thing about the cuts you mentioned is that there is no end in sight. My small town alone is over 100 Million in the hole for our pension system and we are just a small sleepy town north of the Tappan Zee. Our teachers average over 100K and our police average closer to 150K before benefits. Unfortunately the unions in NYC and all throughout the State have done such a great job of fleecing the people that we can never get out from under the debt bomb created by exorbitant salaries and more so the miscalculations on the pension system that are now coming back to haunt us. These things are always sold as helping the "middle class workers" but in reality they promote a special class of citizen, the government worker, that gets benefits and pay well above and beyond the average worker and more so at the expense of the middle class and poor. The rich people that these programs are supposed to fleece are fleeing to Florida and other tax havens exacerbating the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The rich people that these programs are supposed to fleece are fleeing to Florida and other tax havens exacerbating the problem.
    Not only the rich are fleeing to Florida, etc, but the government workers with their generous retirement benefits are heading South, too! Leaving the rest of us behind with the financial liabilities to pay.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm a retired worker with a "generous retirement" living here in NYC with 2 children with autism. But way to make it about yourselves. And way to twist my very important message into another rant about something that irks the two of you. Seriously, do any of you have real adversity in your lives that you so hone in on BS like this when there are more important things?

What you brought up has little to nothing to do with what I posted. Please reconsider going back, editing your posts and making a positive contribution to a worthwhile cause. And no, donating to Autism Speaks is not "better than nothing", it's worse as they will do very little in the way of productive things with it. What I suggested will.

I'm a retired worker with a "generous retirement" living here in NYC with 2 children with autism. But way to make it about yourselves. And way to twist my very important message into another rant about something that irks the two of you. Seriously, do any of you have real adversity in your lives that you so hone in on BS like this when there are more important things?

What you brought up has little to nothing to do with what I posted. Please reconsider going back, editing your posts and making a positive contribution to a worthwhile cause. And no, donating to Autism Speaks is not "better than nothing", it's worse as they will do very little in the way of productive things with it. What I suggested will.
    You made a post about cuts to medicaid. I think it is appropriate in a political forum to first express support for your cause but at the same time point out the reasons that cuts to the support system are happening. I have two close friends that have children with Autism and I see the challenges that they go through every day to care for their wonderful children. I am incredibly impressed by the positive attitudes they have in the face of such a difficult situation.

My question for you is if "autism speaks" is not the best charity which one is? Are you aware of any organizations that are actively seeking the cause of Autism or actively researching better treatment programs that you can reccomend?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    You made a post about cuts to medicaid. I think it is appropriate in a political forum to first express support for your cause but at the same time point out the reasons that cuts to the support system are happening. I have two close friends that have children with Autism and I see the challenges that they go through every day to care for their wonderful children. I am incredibly impressed by the positive attitudes they have in the face of such a difficult situation.

My question for you is if "autism speaks" is not the best charity which one is? Are you aware of any organizations that are actively seeking the cause of Autism or actively researching better treatment programs that you can reccomend?
    I made a post about cuts to Medicaid with the specific reason as to why those cuts were happening, none of which had anything to do with unions or pensions. Specifically they had to do with overbilling perpetrated by NY State and private service providers. Why you felt the need to overlook that and start (another) ideological rant is beyond me.

I'm sorry to hear of your two friends' situation. The positivity isn't always easy to maintain, and quite frankly, as the children get older and cuts like this occur, it becomes profoundly difficult.

I find AS to be a bloated "big tent" organization, meaning that there are too many different directions it is trying to go in, with little results. They need to re-tool their approach and go with advocacy or research. Personally, I feel they are better suited towards advocacy (insurance reform for example) as their research leaves a lot to be desired (mostly all genetic based). Suffice it to say that Katie Wright, whose son was the motivation for her parents to found the organization, rips AS every chance she gets.

As a parent, what I suggested is the best way to have a positive impact on someone. You apparently have two opportunities to do so. Spend additional time with your friends and, once they feel you are capable of taking care of their child, offer to so that they can get out to a restaurant alone. Believe me, they would be ecstatic for someone to do that for them.

Hall Of Fame

Are you surprised to see that Cuomo doesn't give a sh*t about the innocent and defenseless? The man advocates abortions with no restrictions. He is a disgrace to humanity.

On a brighter note, I just heard Obama announced a new research program () aimed at studying the brain and. I hope autism will be part of the research.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9310H820130402

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Are you surprised to see that Cuomo doesn't give a sh*t about the innocent and defenseless. The man advocates abortions with no restrictions. The man is a disgrace.

On a brighter note, I just heard Obama announced a new program () aimed at studying the brain and. I hope autism will be part of the research.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9310H820130402
    AlbanyJet first pointed out the cuts in the other thread. Now I see that those went through and the cuts to education I mentioned were spared. Six in one, half dozen in the other.

I saw that, $100 million. Not nearly enough, but it's something. My guess is it will be divvied up in such a way to provide little in the way of meaningful returns.