Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Steelers have to replace WR Wallace and LB Harrison

  1. #1

    Steelers have to replace WR Wallace and LB Harrison

    Watch how the Steelers draft. They will land a WR like HOPKINS or PATTERSON to replace WALLACE with their 1st rd pick. And they will replace the LB Harrison with their 2nd Rd or later pic. That's how u get it done. U get ur playmaker with ur 1st rd pic. Jets need a PLAYMAKER WR like Hopkins w#9/1st rd pic. Don't let Hopkins or Patterson go to the Steelers.

  2. #2
    They still have viable OLBs and WRs. CB is a good bet for them in the 1st. Gay and Taylor are nothing special and Taylor is getting old. If a guy like Trufant is there you take him. I see so many teams jumping on these top CBs this year if they are there.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,150
    Why are we supposed to care about what the Steelers do in the draft?

    And I like Hopkins, but no way I'd take him in the Top 10.

    And Patterson is a total boom or bust prospect. No thanks.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,251
    One of my biggest pet peeves is listening to the media uniformly praise everything the Steelers do on draft day. Lets not start this now and not here.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,021
    Steelers are like the Yankees, done for life.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,173
    What has been impressive about the Steelers' drafts in recent years is their quality picks in the late rounds.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,021
    Besides the fact the had OL problems and then drafted a few in 11' & 12', they are so smart.

  8. #8
    Pats have to replace Lloyd and Welker.

    Ravens have to replace Boldin and Lewis.

    I understand what the OP is saying, but for every player you don't let go to one team, there's another significant player who's going to another team you don't want him to go to.

    Jets need to just focus on the Jets.

  9. #9
    Yes, lets base our draft strategy around blocking the Steelers.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Watch how the Steelers draft. They will land a WR like HOPKINS or PATTERSON to replace WALLACE with their 1st rd pick. And they will replace the LB Harrison with their 2nd Rd or later pic. That's how u get it done. U get ur playmaker with ur 1st rd pic. Jets need a PLAYMAKER WR like Hopkins w#9/1st rd pic. Don't let Hopkins or Patterson go to the Steelers.
    I always think of the Steelers more as a draft the best player available philosophy rather than to reach for need. The Jets reach. And overextend and overpay. It may be true that Paterson or Hopkins is the BPA when they draft, but I don't think the Steelers would reach just to fill a need.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,538
    when you have a franchise qb, the draft is easy. look at the top 10 picks, not one franchise qb

  12. #12
    The Steelers are the best drafting team in the league IMO. I don't follow the Steelers enough to know what their team needs are, but I'd imagine that is irrelevant. They must go with the best available player at all times.

    The result is each and every year they come away with great talented players. As a fan, you could only hope the Jets become that good at drafting.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Steelers are the best drafting team in the league IMO. I don't follow the Steelers enough to know what their team needs are, but I'd imagine that is irrelevant. They must go with the best available player at all times.

    The result is each and every year they come away with great talented players. As a fan, you could only hope the Jets become that good at drafting.
    And they have done it now with 3 front offices organizations in the last 20 years.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    And they have done it now with 3 front offices organizations in the last 20 years.
    I tend to believe it has worked so well because they always have ownership involvement. Normally, that would be a very bad thing. But it seem to me that their ownership are huge football fans and over time they've learned how to read talent.

    I really don't know what the story is with the Steelers. I don't research their organization as I am a Jets fan. But there must be some good reason for their continued success over so much time now.

    One could only hope, as a fan, that their respective team would become that good at finding talent.

  15. #15
    Stability at the top is their strategy

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,456
    Steelers can have pretty poor drafts too ... 2008 is a good example.

    Rashard Mendenhall - won't knock this one, but can you really go that wrong with a RB in Round 1? 4.1 avg, 29 TD's over 5 years. Now in Arizona. (Interesting note - CJ2K went with the very next pick )
    Limas Sweed - 7 catches in 4 years; I think he was injured lots (Interesting note - Ray Rice went 2 picks later )
    Bruce Davis - 5 games total, out of football for a year, now a backup in Oakland
    Tony Hills - played in 4 games in 3 years. Now a backup in Indy
    Dennis Dixon - OK for a backup QB I guess, now in Philly
    Mike Humpal - never played
    Ryan Mundy - solid enough backup, 5 starts in 4 years ... now with NYG

    So they got a running back and a backup DB. And took Mendenhall instead of CJ2K.

    Now I know you could do this with any team, but that's pretty much my point - Pitt can have bad drafts just like anyone else.

  17. #17
    I can't see Pittsburgh taking an OLB early on in the draft. They have Jason Wordlis to replace Harrison and they need help on the DL as Casey Hampton's days truly are numbered. At 17 I think they're likely to go with a NT, CB or S and they'll address WR in the second or third round. Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are far from a terrible 1-2 punch.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Rashard Mendenhall - won't knock this one, but can you really go that wrong with a RB in Round 1?.
    Sure you can, you can pick Blair Thomas.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Steelers are the best drafting team in the league IMO. I don't follow the Steelers enough to know what their team needs are, but I'd imagine that is irrelevant. They must go with the best available player at all times.

    The result is each and every year they come away with great talented players. As a fan, you could only hope the Jets become that good at drafting.
    Really? Cam Heyward jumps out as a huge success? Marcus Gilbert? Jason Worilds? Mike Adams? Mendenhall? Limas Sweed? In fact, since 2008 they have hit on Wallace and Sanders in the 3rd round of each of their respective drafts, drafted Pouncey and DeCastro in the 1st of each of their respective drafts. Outside of that it's alot of blah. They're not bad, but you're blindly declaring them the best in the league when they're not. Not even close.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Steelers can have pretty poor drafts too ... 2008 is a good example.

    Rashard Mendenhall - won't knock this one, but can you really go that wrong with a RB in Round 1? 4.1 avg, 29 TD's over 5 years. Now in Arizona. (Interesting note - CJ2K went with the very next pick )
    Limas Sweed - 7 catches in 4 years; I think he was injured lots (Interesting note - Ray Rice went 2 picks later )
    Bruce Davis - 5 games total, out of football for a year, now a backup in Oakland
    Tony Hills - played in 4 games in 3 years. Now a backup in Indy
    Dennis Dixon - OK for a backup QB I guess, now in Philly
    Mike Humpal - never played
    Ryan Mundy - solid enough backup, 5 starts in 4 years ... now with NYG

    So they got a running back and a backup DB. And took Mendenhall instead of CJ2K.

    Now I know you could do this with any team, but that's pretty much my point - Pitt can have bad drafts just like anyone else.
    Of course they have bad drafts, they just have more good ones than bad ones than the average team. You don't have to be infallible to win

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us