Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers have to replace WR Wallace and LB Harrison

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Sure you can, you can pick Lawrence Maroney.
    fixed

Hopkins is one of my fav players in the draft, if the Jets picked him at 9 I would be rather upset. Same with Patterson whom has diva written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Hopkins is one of my fav players in the draft, if the Jets picked him at 9 I would be rather upset. Same with Patterson whom has diva written all over him.
    Patterson wasn't even the best WR at Tennessee.

I like Hopkins as well but he'll be able to be had in the second round.

The only first round worthy WR in this draft is Tavon Austin, but Patterson will go in the Top 15, too. Everyone else should slide into the second.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Watch how the Steelers draft. They will land a WR like HOPKINS or PATTERSON to replace WALLACE with their 1st rd pick. And they will replace the LB Harrison with their 2nd Rd or later pic. That's how u get it done. U get ur playmaker with ur 1st rd pic. Jets need a PLAYMAKER WR like Hopkins w#9/1st rd pic. Don't let Hopkins or Patterson go to the Steelers.
    Actually, the proper way to build a team is to draft the replacements BEFORE the guys leave. Its really too late to try and replace a departed stud. Of course, the Stillers drafted Jason Worilds and Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, but I think its too early to say whether what they did was sufficient, especially with the aging nature of their LBs and both Wallace and Ward leaving.

If you look at teams like the Packers, despite having an all world receiving corp, they took Randall Cobb in the second round. Now, with Jennings and Driver gone, they still have James Jones, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb at WR. That's pretty good.

The Jets went into the 2006 draft with absolutely no Center (Sure Trey Teague was on the roster) and were very fortunate to land Mangold. If he was taken a spot ahead, the Jets were up sh!t's creek w/o a paddle.

Its never a good idea to go into a draft absolutely needing to fill a hole. It forces you to make bad decisions and consider guys in a draft spot that you otherwise wouldn't and causes you to pass on guys of great value.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Watch how the Steelers draft. They will land a WR like HOPKINS or PATTERSON to replace WALLACE with their 1st rd pick. And they will replace the LB Harrison with their 2nd Rd or later pic. That's how u get it done. U get ur playmaker with ur 1st rd pic. Jets need a PLAYMAKER WR like Hopkins w#9/1st rd pic. Don't let Hopkins or Patterson go to the Steelers.
    Yes but WR is not the most pressing need of the Jets. The purpose of the draft is to address NEEDS. You take the best available player that addresses your needs and helps your roster now. The Jets have gaping holes on the O-line, a CB situation that's up in the air, and no passrushing ability. They need to get those things nailed down not buy the flashiest player on the board.

When you need eggs, milk, and bread, you don't buy meat, cereal, and canned soup... The Jets have NEEDS, and the Jets need to stick to those needs and get us some wins this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I tend to believe it has worked so well because they always have ownership involvement. Normally, that would be a very bad thing. But it seem to me that their ownership are huge football fans and over time they've learned how to read talent.

I really don't know what the story is with the Steelers. I don't research their organization as I am a Jets fan. But there must be some good reason for their continued success over so much time now.One could only hope, as a fan, that their respective team would become that good at finding talent.
    Prior to the early 70's they were a losing team for around 40 years..

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Really? Cam Heyward jumps out as a huge success? Marcus Gilbert? Jason Worilds? Mike Adams? Mendenhall? Limas Sweed? In fact, since 2008 they have hit on Wallace and Sanders in the 3rd round of each of their respective drafts, drafted Pouncey and DeCastro in the 1st of each of their respective drafts. Outside of that it's alot of blah. They're not bad, but you're blindly declaring them the best in the league when they're not. Not even close.
    Then who is there Nostra Damus?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Prior to the early 70's they were a losing team for around 40 years..
    Talk about splitting hairs. Lets see 1971 or so until today? What does that encompass? About 42 years? I said for such a long time. Does 42 years strike you as a long time? Sure as hell does to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Talk about splitting hairs. Lets see 1971 or so until today? What does that encompass? About 42 years? I said for such a long time. Does 42 years strike you as a long time? Sure as hell does to me.
    My point was they weren't always winners like you were suggesting.. As a matter of fact the 80's weren't that great.. They won when they had good QB play like everyone else.. In the last 15 seasons they had 3 losing seasons the Jets have had 4.. Plus they got beat in the playoffs by a Tebow led team..

My point was they weren't always winners like you were suggesting.. As a matter of fact the 80's weren't that great.. They won when they had good QB play like everyone else.. In the last 15 seasons they had 3 losing seasons the Jets have had 4.. Plus they got beat in the playoffs by a Tebow led team..
    Well then you need to explain yourself better. By that post it appeared you were dismissing them because of some bad teams in the 1960's. That would truly be a stretch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Well then you need to explain yourself better. By that post it appeared you were dismissing them because of some bad teams in the 1960's. That would truly be a stretch.
    Not only the 60's the 30's 40's and 50's as well..

Not only the 60's the 30's 40's and 50's as well..
    Well, I guess that is important if you feel any organization has to be good at drafting throughout their entire history. If at any time they were bad at drafting, then their junk. if that's how you feel, then great. I just believe that's not being very rational. Sh*t happens, Savage. I could go down through every organization in the history of the league and find some bad moves that they made. But still doesn't mean their a bad organization overall.