Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does Rex Ryan Keep His Job?

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    With his stream-of-consciousness approach, one of the networks would have snapped Rex up in a second for the booth or pre/post game shows. So, I don't buy the money aspect. Guys like Rex can make millions on TV. He would not have lost a cent by walking away.

IMO, staying on through a new GM's regime makes Rex look like a hapless weakling, something he does not want if a future head coaching gig is Rex' aim. In his shoes, with Rex' ability to earn millions in other parts of the NFL "industry", I would have gone away on my terms, not wait for the embarrassment of being fired after this season.
    He would have lost 8 million dollars. Networks don't pay those personalities 4 million a year. He can't walk away. You don't resign unless you have a job lined up AND have built a solid winning reputation AND can claim clearly that the lack of winning ways in your previous post have to do with circumstances out of your control (ie Parcells claiming he can't cook a meal if he can't pick the groceries).

Rex can claim none of this. Much of the disaster facing the NY Jets falls in his lap whether MaineJet wants to believe it or not.

Rex will definitely be a Defensive Coordinator, if he wants to go back to coaching, somewhere in 2014. His defenses, despite his unknown philosophy of ignoring the FS position, have never been the big problem here.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Hopefully we are smart enough to hire Rex Ryan as our HC for the next 10 seasons or more. He is a terrific football coach, an innovater and a motivater.

Coaches this good are hard to find. The Jets should know since they have had only two such really good ones in the decades between Weeb and Rex...Pete Carroll and Parcells.

Hopefully he gets a long term deal during the season. I think it will happen because Idzik is a very smart guy.

Hopefully it will drive our SARriest closet Patriot fan to finally come out and don the red blue and silver flying Elvis logo garb currently hidden away for secret wearing on Sundays in his baronial mansion

You know he's dying to end this fake Jet fan ruse
    Hahahaha!

If the Jets were going to fire Rex, he'd be gone. We are either rebuilding or trying to win. You can't have it both ways.

There is the possibility the Jets WON'T suck this year...

No one seems to mention that, but it is a possibility. We're getting Holmes back, we have Braylon back, we have the kid Hill who's shown flashes and now has a full season under his belt, Kerley looked great at times last year, We've sign Garrard as insurance against another Sanchez meltdown, signed Goodson who doesn't have a lot of playing time but has averaged 6.3 ypc in the limited time he does have, Powell should be ready for primetime by now, Austin Howard did a good job last year too.

The Jets just need to concentrate on O-line now. They need a solid RG, depth at RT, maybe someone more reliable than Goodson and Landolt at LG. That's what they should be concentrating on now, those three areas, if they can get that done the Jets may not be as bad as a lot of people are expecting them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    If the Jets were going to fire Rex, he'd be gone. We are either rebuilding or trying to win. You can't have it both ways.
    That's just not true. If the Jets fired Rex right now they'd eat 8m of his salary for nothing, AND have to pay another coach on top of it for this season. Considering there are so many holes to fill on the team, it makes sense to let Rex ride out the season now with the team that he largely created and see how they perform. If Rex pulls off a miracle and gets this team to perform then he'll be extended at the end of the season. If not he's gone. He will be a lame duck coach next year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Hopefully we are smart enough to hire Rex Ryan as our HC for the next 10 seasons or more. He is a terrific football coach, an innovater and a motivater.

Coaches this good are hard to find. The Jets should know since they have had only two such really good ones in the decades between Weeb and Rex...Pete Carroll and Parcells.

Hopefully he gets a long term deal during the season. I think it will happen because Idzik is a very smart guy.

Hopefully it will drive our SARriest closet Patriot fan to finally come out and don the red blue and silver flying Elvis logo garb currently hidden away for secret wearing on Sundays in his baronial mansion

You know he's dying to end this fake Jet fan ruse
    How can you even say that?
    How many times has this team came out of the locker room at half time flatter than hammered $hit! Unf**kin believable!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    That's just not true. If the Jets fired Rex right now they'd eat 8m of his salary for nothing, AND have to pay another coach on top of it for this season. Considering there are so many holes to fill on the team, it makes sense to let Rex ride out the season now with the team that he largely created and see how they perform. If Rex pulls off a miracle and gets this team to perform then he'll be extended at the end of the season. If not he's gone. He will be a lame duck coach next year.
    So true. People just dont realize this, or refuse to see this. Much like the Jets eating some dead money with releasing some players, and keeping some players simply due to the large cap hit, Rex is being kept for the same reason, a financial one. The Jets ARE rebuilding, but it isnt a one year fix, and Idzik knows this. Next year the Jets cut ties with Rex and Sanchez, could have a lot of high draft picks if they trade Revis, and will have a ton of cap room to replenish the roster. Wouldnt that be a MUCH better situation for a new Head Coach?? I think so.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So true. People just dont realize this, or refuse to see this. Much like the Jets eating some dead money with releasing some players, and keeping some players simply due to the large cap hit, Rex is being kept for the same reason, a financial one. The Jets ARE rebuilding, but it isnt a one year fix, and Idzik knows this. Next year the Jets cut ties with Rex and Sanchez, could have a lot of high draft picks if they trade Revis, and will have a ton of cap room to replenish the roster. Wouldnt that be a MUCH better situation for a new Head Coach?? I think so.
    +1 agree with all you said but.... wouldn't Wrecks make us one hell of DC!
    I know it will not happen but?

How long until Ray Ray chimes in and calls this a SOJF thread and gives a looney forecast for 2013?

He would have lost 8 million dollars. Networks don't pay those personalities 4 million a year. He can't walk away. You don't resign unless you have a job lined up AND have built a solid winning reputation AND can claim clearly that the lack of winning ways in your previous post have to do with circumstances out of your control (ie Parcells claiming he can't cook a meal if he can't pick the groceries).

Rex can claim none of this. Much of the disaster facing the NY Jets falls in his lap whether MaineJet wants to believe it or not.
    In my first post, I said that Rex' agents could have worked out an exit strategy and compensation. Probably not for the full amount, but a good chunk IMO.

Also, sometimes you need to lose money to make it in the future. Right now, based on his performance the last two years, Rex is pretty close to never being hired os an NFL HC ever again. Why stick around and take the blame again for the upcoming cluster f**k of the 2013-14 season? He's almost guaranteeing that he'll never be hired in this capacity again.

I think the key is learning from his mistakes of the past. He's got to get better with the offense. He's got to get the defense to play more consistent. When the defense goes through periods of lackluster play, penalty prone play, and poor tackling that leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, as many have astutely pointed out, he shouldn't be so loyal to underperforming veterans.

If he can just start to show progress in most of those areas, he'll likely get another season. But make no mistake about it, if this team actually plays well in 2013, it will be Rex's best coaching season yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True. In today's society everyones wants to see heads roll immediately!!! I can understand if Rex was 4 years into his coaching career with a 24-40 record having never made the playoffs. But he has 2 playoff appearances and 4 playoff wins. That doesn't wipe away the last two years and some of his flaws, but its not like he has been a complete disaster.

And for people that think we should tank to get the top pick next year, wouldn't keeping a "terrible" coach like Rex around increase our chances of landing an elite QB in next yearse draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    In my first post, I said that Rex' agents could have worked out an exit strategy and compensation. Probably not for the full amount, but a good chunk IMO.

Also, sometimes you need to lose money to make it in the future. Right now, based on his performance the last two years, Rex is pretty close to never being hired os an NFL HC ever again. Why stick around and take the blame again for the upcoming cluster f**k of the 2013-14 season? He's almost guaranteeing that he'll never be hired in this capacity again.
    He will always have a job as a DC, and he will always be great at it. A few years leading a defense consistently in the top 5 will net him another HC job. Someone will gamble that he has learned his lesson and they may actually be right. TV jobs don't pay nearly as much as HC jobs do. Rex's best bet is to play out this season. If he succeeds (his pride will make him thinks he can), then as MaineJet said it will be his best coaching season ever and he will be extended. If he fails he STILL may get a HC job elsewhere right away. Don't discount that for a second. In this NY market his personality can be cancerous, but to a smaller market team it may be just what they need to garner some attention. If he doesn't he will get hired as a DC in a blink of an eye, which he'll build his resume up again eventually.

He will always have a job as a DC, and he will always be great at it. A few years leading a defense consistently in the top 5 will net him another HC job. Someone will gamble that he has learned his lesson and they may actually be right. TV jobs don't pay nearly as much as HC jobs do. Rex's best bet is to play out this season. If he succeeds (his pride will make him thinks he can), then as MaineJet said it will be his best coaching season ever and he will be extended. If he fails he STILL may get a HC job elsewhere right away. Don't discount that for a second. In this NY market his personality can be cancerous, but to a smaller market team it may be just what they need to garner some attention. If he doesn't he will get hired as a DC in a blink of an eye, which he'll build his resume up again eventually.
    Good point.

Initially, I was really ecstatic when we hired Rex. Now, after watching his performance as our HC and being the face/voice of the team, I just don't believe he has the mettle to be an NFL HC. I agree with you that he will always find a place an a DC.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    True. In today's society everyones wants to see heads roll immediately!!! I can understand if Rex was 4 years into his coaching career with a 24-40 record having never made the playoffs. But he has 2 playoff appearances and 4 playoff wins. That doesn't wipe away the last two years and some of his flaws, but its not like he has been a complete disaster.

And for people that think we should tank to get the top pick next year, wouldn't keeping a "terrible" coach like Rex around increase our chances of landing an elite QB in next yearse draft?
    A lot of what you're talking about is a result of Rex's bluster. A lot of people here very much believed in him when he was making guarantees and he actually came through. So when his predictions started to be wrong a lot of posters felt betrayed. As though they were promised something but didn't get it.

Not saying it is right, but that IMO is where all this criticism comes from.

Now, they're so blinded by hatred for the guy that they can't even look at things objectively. The results still speak for themselves. In 2009, he took a team that had no business being in the playoffs to begin with, to the AFC Championship. That's pretty impressive.

In 2010, he did it again. Those are pretty impressive accomplishments for a first time HC.

All in all, he's definitely subject to criticism, but I do believe Woody made the right decision in keeping him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    A lot of what you're talking about is a result of Rex's bluster. A lot of people here very much believed in him when he was making guarantees and he actually came through. So when his predictions started to be wrong a lot of posters felt betrayed. As though they were promised something but didn't get it.

Not saying it is right, but that IMO is where all this criticism comes from.

Now, they're so blinded by hatred for the guy that they can't even look at things objectively. The results still speak for themselves. In 2009, he took a team that had no business being in the playoffs to begin with, to the AFC Championship. That's pretty impressive.

In 2010, he did it again. Those are pretty impressive accomplishments for a first time HC.

All in all, he's definitely subject to criticism, but I do believe Woody made the right decision in keeping him.
    Please, the criticism comes from the decline of this team and the inability of Rex to address the offensive side of the ball. Most fans are not 12 year olds and are simply down on Rex because they were jilted by his false proclamations. Most of us knew when Rex was talking the talk that it could all come down on him when things went bad. Rex isnt the coach of the Jets because he earned another year, he is the coach because Woody doesnt want to pay 4 years worth of salary to his fired HC and GM, plus the additional money for his new HC and GM.

its most definitely a financial decision to keep rex here and the fact that maybe woody knows nobody wants to coach here. the gm search didnt go as planned what makes anyone think a head coach search would be any different.

Hall Of Fame
    This article should have been written last year. He already got a mulligan after 2011.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    This article should have been written last year. He already got a mulligan after 2011.
    That's why I don't understand those that continue to defend him (Mainejet) in the sense that "if" he can turn it around on offense he should stay.

This team was one of the better rosters in 2008 - HAD business being in the playoffs.

In 2009 the major change was a rookie QB and we squeaked in w/the same roster and made a HELL of a run to the AFCCG. That I credit to Rex and the veterans we had on that team.

2010 we were SUPERBOWL FAVORITES! So the argument that it was an impressive coaching job by Rex is BULL$HIT! We loaded up w/LT, Cro, and Holmes, even Trevor Pryce to "get us over the hump." It didn't happen. I was at the games where we lost to Miami, GB, and Baltimore w/each of those teams scoring 10 OR LESS points!

The team has been on an accelerated depreciation since January 2011, that is both on Coaching and GM.

Rex claimed he'd get more involved in ALL aspects of the team. Whether he did or not, I can't tell. I CAN tell you the team has only denigrated more so. His Mea Culpa was the conclusion of 2011.

2012 was even worse. The lack of accountability by the HC is blatantly apparent.

Yes, he's the best coach we've had IN YEARS since Parcells, but you know what, Jets' HCs aren't that good to begin with. So saying Rex is the best we've had is like saying the 160 lbs. chick is the hottest of the pageant where all the contestants weigh north of 200 lbs.

I like Rex the person. I've lost respect for Rex the coach. He's a lame duck and all his talk is nothing more than that. I wish it wasn't the case, but thus far, you go by what your team and record is. and since the 2010 season, he's a loser.