Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does Rex Ryan Keep His Job?

All League

How Does Rex Ryan Keep His Job?

How Does Rex Ryan Keep His Job?
    By Jon B April 2, 2013

I find it tough to believe when people say Rex Ryan's job status will not be determined by the Jets' record in 2013. The NFL is a results oriented business. The Jets are likely to sport one of the worst rosters in the league this coming season and at this point are probably the weakest team in the league at the most important position on the field. Winning will be a big challenge. If the Jets fail to win, frustration will boil over with this fan base. Many of the people saying Rex deserves the benefit of the doubt will change their tune once the weight of loss after loss starts coming down.

For his part, Rex will start the season wounded. A growing portion of the fan base has lost faith in him and thinks he should have been fired already. They might have a point. The Jets have been on a clear downward trajectory since 2010. The team has lost 15 of its last 24 games under Ryan, and the head coach seems to be short on concrete answers, turning instead to superficial notions like not naming team captains, not guaranteeing Super Bowls to the press, and hoping the players in the locker room simply believe they can win.

Further compounding Rex's problem is the portion of the media that is out to get him. No less than three prominent New York media members, Mike Francesa, Ian O'Connor, and Manish Mehta are on crusades to get Ryan fired. Whether fair or not, they have been throwing criticism at Ryan for everything he does. You might not view these people as credible, but there is a portion of the fan base whose views are shaped by these folks. The same cookie cutter criticisms Francesa and O'Connor have been throwing at Ryan since the day he was hired now have greater resonance. These criticisms looked desperate when the Jets were winning. Now they look valid with the Jets losing, even though they aren't developed thoughtful deliberation.

Rex Ryan is up against it. If he wins less than six games as appears likely with this roster and a schedule that features the AFC North and NFC South, it will be difficult to justify keeping a coach coming off a third straight non-Playoff year with the team's record getting progressively worse each year. If Ryan wins nine or more games, he will be in line for a contract extension and Coach of the Year consideration. Things get a bit murkier if the Jets win between six and eight games. It would be a tough sell keeping him around since the Jets would have a third straight non-winning season. Depending on how things shake out, though, the team might be inclined to bring him back for 2014 to fight for his job in the final year of the contract. I think all of the circumstances below would need to be satisfied.

The offense has to be credible.

Rex cannot skate if the offense does not produce. He might be a defensive oriented coach, but he is ultimately responsible for the performance of the entire team. He is now on his third offensive coordinator. His hand picked choice to lead the offense last year was a total dud and seemed like a questionable hire at the time. Offense has held the Jets back in the Ryan Era. Only once in four years has the offense finished better than 20th in the league. Even in the year it did, 2010, the Jets lost three games where the opponent scored 10 points or less, costing the team a shot at homefield advantage in the Playoffs. At some point, it does not matter how well the head coach gets the defense to play if he cannot get the offense to work. Rex's tenure is starting to look a lot like that of his mentor, Brian Billick with the Ravens. The defense is always excellent, which leads to some good years. The offense is always a liability, which prevents the team from consistently winning big.

There needs to be accountability for poor play.

Even as the 2012 team was collapsing, Rex refused to bench underperformers. Up until the Jets were officially eliminated, Mark Sanchez, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, and others never saw their playing time diminished. The same thing happened the season before with Eric Smith and Wayne Hunter. This is unfortunately not uncommon. Coaches who have success early in their tenure tend to develop loyalty to the players who helped them have success. When times get tough, these coaches stick to what they know. With the 2012 Jets, this had two unfortunate consequences. It kept underperformers on the field while younger, possibly more talented players languished on the bench. It also sent a message that everybody's job was safe. You need to have a culture of competition so everybody is always working hard, knowing the bench awaits if they do not deliver.

Unforced errors need to be corrected.

When a team continually has players dropping passes, leaving the ball exposed, lining up in the wrong place, messing up substitutions, and missing tackles, that falls on coaching and indicates said coaching is poor. This cannot happen.

The team must play hard at all times.

I understand how loaded it is accusing players of quitting, but watch the end of the games against the 49ers, the Patriots at home, and the Bills on the road and tell me everybody on that field was giving it his all right until the final whistle.

The team cannot be consistently blown out.

You can't even really say the 2012 Jets were close to being a good team since they were totally blown off the field in seven of their ten losses. You need talent to win, but coaching can teach competence and at least close the gap. If you aren't even competitive, you aren't being coached well.

The locker room cannot fall apart.

The last two years, we have seen Jets take shots at teammates through the press both anonymously and in the open. A coach who cannot control his team is an ineffective coach.

The team must finish strong.

The Jets have totally collapsed at the end of the last two seasons. They finished both years with three game losing streaks. They were only competitive in two of those six games, and only one of the six was contested against a team that had a winning record at the end of the year. If you finish the year strong, it looks like you are building on something. If you finish the year in a nosedive, it looks like you have run out of answers.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Great read, plenty of valid points, Thanks!

Thought this was interesting since I wonder if they are on speaking terms:
    "Rex's tenure is starting to look a lot like that of his mentor, Brian Billick with the Ravens."

Setting up to be a long year, hope Bridgewater is worth it

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

We can't afford to get rid of him, that's why.

SAR I

Rex will be here for at least 2 more seasons. Our new GM took this spot with this in mind. This team sucks, we know it and Idzik knows it. Idzik had Ryan forced on him and will use the next two seasons to flush out the old and rebuild with the draft and eventually with free agents. Bottom line is Idzik will let Ryan crash and burn, it's the only way to convince Woody to let him go. Smart move by Idzik, but this sucks for the fans. This is how a good GM rebuilds a team that is in such a freaking mess. Idzik may get rid of Ryan midway through the season if it's as back as I believe it will be. 4-12 here we come.

This will be a moot point 5 minutes after the last game this year. Be patient, the nightmare gets closer to being over very day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hopefully we are smart enough to hire Rex Ryan as our HC for the next 10 seasons or more. He is a terrific football coach, an innovater and a motivater.

Coaches this good are hard to find. The Jets should know since they have had only two such really good ones in the decades between Weeb and Rex...Pete Carroll and Parcells.

Hopefully he gets a long term deal during the season. I think it will happen because Idzik is a very smart guy.

Hopefully it will drive our SARriest closet Patriot fan to finally come out and don the red blue and silver flying Elvis logo garb currently hidden away for secret wearing on Sundays in his baronial mansion

You know he's dying to end this fake Jet fan ruse

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We can't afford to get rid of him, that's why.

SAR I
    This thread is about Rex Ryan, not Sanchez

Honestly, I never thought Rex was this much of a wimp. After the last two seasons, I thought he would ask his agents to craft a exit package, present it to Woody, then resign as our HC. By now, he would have had a job as a TV analyst whilst beginning the process of rebuilding his brand with the aim of eventually returning as a HC in the NFL.

Instead, he counts his money as we count the days until Itzik shows him the door. Dumb move, Rex. You should have walked away like so many of your players. For whatever reason, your "leadership" did not work here.

Because Woody forced Rex on Idzik's hands. Tom Gamble and others didn't want the job because they realized how stupid it was to keep a lame duck coach for one year rather than bringing in their own guy from the get go. What we're doing is delaying the process of the rebuild. Barring a playoff run, Rex Ryan is GONE after the season.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Because Woody forced Rex on Idzik's hands. Tom Gamble and others didn't want the job because they realized how stupid it was to keep a lame duck coach for one year rather than bringing in their own guy from the get go. What we're doing is delaying the process of the rebuild. Barring a playoff run, Rex Ryan is GONE after the season.
    Yup. And Idzik might be right behind him.

Both of these guys were the last picks at dodgeball. Ryan was passed over numerous times, Idzik the desperation pick after everyone else said no. If Woody plants a Hail Mary after this lousy 3-13 season, gets a top-quality guy a-la Cowher, kiss both these clowns goodbye.

This season doesn't matter. We're on hold. We don't have a good roster, don't have a good front office. Korn Ferry clearly advised Woody that on a mess this deep, takes two years to get it right.

SAR I

SAR I
    Someone is in mid-season form already

SAR I
    I wouldn't go that far. Idzik will be given at least three, but probably four, seasons to build a team.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Someone is in mid-season form already
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Idzik will be given at least three, but probably four, seasons to build a team.

If the Jets go 1-15, a distinct possibility, and Woody gets aggressive for once and goes for broke on a top-notch NFL GM, Idzik will be gone.

He'll stay with the organization, after all he was a top-notch office administrator with Seattle, as our VP of Operations or something, but he won't be our GM in that scenario.

New guy or not, he bears the responsibility for all the players we just lost and the goose egg of players we bring in. It sucks, but that's life in the big city, that's what you get when you take the worst FO job in the NFL.

SAR I

Rex will be a lame duck coach next year. It's impossible to sign FA's when your coach is a lame duck, so the Jets will either extend Rex or fire him. Personally I think he'll be fired.

Hall Of Fame
    Rex is absolutely a dead man walking this year. I do think Idzik bought himself one extra year on the rebuld by acceding to Woody's wishes and retaining Rex in 2013. In effect he gets to restart the rebuild without Rex next year if 2013 is a bad year for the Jets.

That theory is completely out of the window if Rex stays more than a year. More than a year and Rex becomes one of Idzik's guys and Idzik will be judged in part on the decision to retain him.

So how does Rex survive? It is very tough to see how becuase the roster in part is being set up to make 2013 a "take out the trash" year. If Rex goes 8-8 with this team and the kids show significant progress then I think Rex has a chance to keep his job. It cannot be all on the defense though. Even though I expect the kids on defense to play well we absolutely need to see something on the offensive side of the ball. Something to give us hope that Rex is a real head coach and not just an overmatched defensive coordinator playing at being a head coach.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Honestly, I never thought Rex was this much of a wimp. After the last two seasons, I thought he would ask his agents to craft a exit package, present it to Woody, then resign as our HC. By now, he would have had a job as a TV analyst whilst beginning the process of rebuilding his brand with the aim of eventually returning as a HC in the NFL.

Instead, he counts his money as we count the days until Itzik shows him the door. Dumb move, Rex. You should have walked away like so many of your players. For whatever reason, your "leadership" did not work here.
    +1

Woody set the table for Rex to resign, and it's something he should have done. This disaster 2013 season combined with the 2012 and 2011 fails plus his schtick and embarrassing episodes will guarantee he's never going to be an NFL HC again. Might not even get a DC job either.

SAR I

+1

Woody set the table for Rex to resign, and it's something he should have done. This disaster 2013 season combined with the 2012 and 2011 fails plus his schtick and embarrassing episodes will guarantee he's never going to be an NFL HC again. Might not even get a DC job either.

SAR I
    rex would never resign. and woody didn't want to pay 2 gms AND 2 hcs. so rex remains for another year.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Rex will be a lame duck coach next year. It's impossible to sign FA's when your coach is a lame duck, so the Jets will either extend Rex or fire him. Personally I think he'll be fired.
    The exodus of his entire coaching staff and the dismantling of his entire defense should have given Rex the hint.

If he cared about his career at all, he'd have resigned by now. Instead, he's in a staredown with Woody, going to pocket his $8M and retire as an NFL disgrace at a low end hotel in the Bahamas a year from now.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    +1

SAR I
    GO PATRIOTS

+1

SAR I
    With his stream-of-consciousness approach, one of the networks would have snapped Rex up in a second for the booth or pre/post game shows. So, I don't buy the money aspect. Guys like Rex can make millions on TV. He would not have lost a cent by walking away.

IMO, staying on through a new GM's regime makes Rex look like a hapless weakling, something he does not want if a future head coaching gig is Rex' aim. In his shoes, with Rex' ability to earn millions in other parts of the NFL "industry", I would have gone away on my terms, not wait for the embarrassment of being fired after this season.