Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How Does Rex Ryan Keep His Job?

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Cmon DD. You think Rex ran up to Tanny and told him how much to pay Harris. You, or i, have no idea if Ryan was banging the desk for Holmes. As far as the caption stuff, it was a mistake, he admitted it.It didn't lose us any games. I'll say this till the day i die, Sparano was a tanny choice, because of their ties to parcells.
    I can't talk about the inner workings of the Jets FO, all I can do is imagine how things went.

But in the case of Santonio Holmes specifically, I remember seeing an interview with Tanny where he was talking about the acquisition of Holmes.

Tanny said he received a call from the Steelers where they were more or less trying to SELL Holmes for a 5th round pick. After getting off the phone, Tanny called Rex and asked him what he thought about potentially getting Santonio Holmes. Rex replied that Holmes had always killed him when he was coaching the Baltimore defense. He said he would want him because as a member of the NYJ, he couldn't KILL us anymore like he had so many times with Pittsburgh.

Then, I'm sure Tanny called Woody as a courtesy and let him know what they were thinking of doing.

That's really how the whole deal came to fruition. Just lending my knowledge of the subject at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Ozzie Newsome is one of the best (if not the best) GM's in football, we had Tanny... just look how both handled the QB contract situations

Jim is a great coach but I think Rex would have won the Super bowl if he was the HC in Baltimore or with Chargers for the Norm years

Ozzie and Tanny both came from the Belichick management tree, as opposed to the Belichick coaching tree that Mangini fell from and rotted away.

As for Ryan's ability to lead either Harbaugh's Ravens or Norm's Chargers to a SB, I have two comments.

If the Ravens thought he had a chance to do what Harbaugh did they would have chosen him instead, but the truth is that Ryan has turned out to be exactly the "loose cannon" that was predicted back then.

If Ryan really did think that he would have had a couple of SBs if he coached the Chargers, he should have kept his mouth shut. He hasn't proven anything to anybody. Talk is cheap.
    Last edited by Pats1960; 04-04-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He's a coach. Not a GM
    Understood, but he steps over the line, and so the criticism is valid.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex Ryan is a terrible head coach.

You're like the only person on Earth who thinks otherwise.

SAR I
    I'm not even the only person here who doesn't agree.

That you believe you speak for the billions on Earth is telling. Or just another topic that you're ill equipped to discuss. Stick to defending failed QBs, fake unis, tailgating and PSL golden investments.

We can't afford to get rid of him, that's why.

SAR I
    No, that's not why. Woody loves him, that's why.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I'm not even the only person here who doesn't agree.

That you believe you speak for the billions on Earth is telling. Or just another topic that you're ill equipped to discuss. Stick to defending failed QBs, fake unis, tailgating and PSL golden investments.
    Let's see, we did this a year ago, let's do it again.

10 Reasons Why Rex Ryan Is A Great Head Coach:

There you go. Teach me what I don't know. I look forward to it. Fill in the blanks.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    No, that's not why. Woody loves him, that's why.
    or...

Korn Ferry advised Woody that the Jets were too broken to be fixed in a year anyway, might as well not fire Rex seeing that there wasn't any talent available and those coaches they did approach turned them down. Might as well save the $6M and burn Rex out instead of some second-tier HC that no one else wanted (again).

Next year, with the #1 pick in the draft and a roster that is already purged of deadweight, we strike early and get the best HC available without having to eat Ryan's millions. This year, lost cause.

SAR I

or...

Korn Ferry advised Woody that the Jets were too broken to be fixed in a year anyway, might as well not fire Rex seeing that there wasn't any talent available and those coaches they did approach turned them down. Might as well save the $6M and burn Rex out instead of some second-tier HC that no one else wanted (again).

Next year, with the #1 pick in the draft and a roster that is already purged of deadweight, we strike early and get the best HC available without having to eat Ryan's millions. This year, lost cause.

SAR I
    Does this include Sanchez failing under his third OC?

Otherwise, 10 reasons why Mark Sanchez is the QB to root for going into 2013 - Go:

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Does this include Sanchez failing under his third OC?

Otherwise, 10 reasons why Mark Sanchez is the QB to root for going into 2013 - Go:

Yeah, you can play the turnaround game on someone else.

He's not the QB to root for going into 2013. I never said that. What I said is that there's a 30% chance he can bounce back again. What I'd like to know is why anyone thinks Rex Ryan is a good head coach. Top 10 reasons. Let's have 'em:

SAR I

Yeah, you can play the turnaround game on someone else.

He's not the QB to root for going into 2013. I never said that. What I said is that there's a 30% chance he can bounce back again. What I'd like to know is why anyone thinks Rex Ryan is a good head coach. Top 10 reasons. Let's have 'em:

SAR I

Are you an elementary school teacher? I declare there is a 30% chance Rex Ryan bounces back and becomes an excellent head coach. How about you give us 10 reasons why people should think otherwise? You stated a claim, you want 10 reasons to support otherwise. I implore the same. I don't care to argue with you, but I find these argumentative tactics rather petty.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Let's see, we did this a year ago, let's do it again.

10 Reasons Why Rex Ryan Is A Great Head Coach:

There you go. Teach me what I don't know. I look forward to it. Fill in the blanks.

SAR I

1-10, he's taken a team with middle of the road talent, a less than mediocre QB...at best, to two AFCCG's, without the benefit of a bye or a single home game. Every single playoff win as the overwhelming underdog on the road.

Proving that he can coach, can win without the benefit of talent. Which is why he is the coach in 2013 and will be in 2014.

Now go back to playing with yourself and your stupid, pointless lists.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 04-06-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Are you an elementary school teacher? I declare there is a 30% chance Rex Ryan bounces back and becomes an excellent head coach. How about you give us 10 reasons why people should think otherwise? You stated a claim, you want 10 reasons to support otherwise. I implore the same. I don't care to argue with you, but I find these argumentative tactics rather petty.
    1. This isn't your argument. Let Jet Nut answer the question.

2. I'm not the person defending Rex Ryan, and if I were I'd be able to give 10 damned reasons why he's a great head coach.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

1-10, he's taken a team with middle of the road talent, a less than mediocre QB...at best, to two AFCCG's, without the benefit of a bye or a single home game. Every single playoff win as the overwhelming underdog.

Proving that he can coach, can win without the benefit of talent. Which is why he is the coach in 2013 and will be in 2014.

Now go back to playing with yourself and your stupid, pointless lists.
    Oh, so the #1 defense and the #1 running game in the NFL back in the day was filled with "medicore talent"? LOL.

And the head coach that the Baltimore Ravens and every other team in the NFL passed over has "overwhelming talent"?

Love it.

How about this, I don't know, maybe a radical thought, maybe the truth:

Rex Ryan was the mediocrity, the team was very good, he could only coach it to wildcards and couldn't develop the young talent he himself drafted, leaving us in this mess we're currently in.

I don't know, maybe, I guess, that might be it.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    If only we had drafted Matt Leinart

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Oh, so the #1 defense and the #1 running game in the NFL back in the day was filled with "medicore talent"? LOL.

And the head coach that the Baltimore Ravens and every other team in the NFL passed over has "overwhelming talent"?

Love it.

How about this, I don't know, maybe a radical thought, maybe the truth:

Rex Ryan was the mediocrity, the team was very good, he could only coach it to wildcards and couldn't develop the young talent he himself drafted, leaving us in this mess we're currently in.

I don't know, maybe, I guess, that might be it.

SAR I
    The every team passed over him excuse is as stupid as it gets. No one interviewed Shula, Cowher, Knoll, Landry, Walsh, Gibbs etc until they were hired.

Question, if they were so good, so talented, why were the Jets underdogs in every single playoff game?

That you think that team had number 1 talent on that D and don't give Rex credit for their play says either you have an agenda or are as dumb as rocks. I'm guessing equal part both.

You're just pissed the Jets didn't get past those AFCCGs and need a single person to blame because you don't have the ability to analyze the teams strengths and weaknesses. It's easier to just blame the coach. First for his coaching ability then to imagine that he was GM and Czar of the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    If only we had drafted Matt Leinart
    The broken record is boring as sh1t, isn't he?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

You're just pissed the Jets didn't get past those AFCCGs and need a single person to blame because you don't have the ability to analyze the teams strengths and weaknesses. It's easier to just blame the coach. First for his coaching ability then to imagine that he was GM and Czar of the team.
    No, I'm just pissed because the sum-total of Rex Ryan's head coaching career is one thing when he inherited someone else's talent and quite a different thing when he tried to do it his own way.

If Rex Ryan were a great coach, someone who is worthy of 7-10 years on our sidelines, he's have taken the core of that '09 team and built upon it. Instead, we are the rough equivalent of an expansion team now. Rex Ryan presided over every draft since 2009, that's 5 years, that's an entire NFL generation, and what we have today simply sucks, the worst collection of players in any NFL locker room.

Right now, I am merely amused. Amused at how Rex is going to be tortured in this 3-13 season, amused at how we'll likely blow the #1 pick in next year's draft, amused at the fans who are so puppy-loved with Rex Ryan that they can't see the truth. You would have thought you'd have stopped huffing the Rex Ryan perfume at the end of 2011, definitely at the end of 2012. But no, so in love with the clown you just have to keep defending him. It's laughable.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    No, I'm just laughable.

SAR I
    Fixed

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    THAT is some newspaper cover.

SAR I works for the paper?