Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 142

Thread: How Does Rex Ryan Keep His Job?

  1. #121
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    THAT is some newspaper cover.

    SAR I works for the paper?
    Nah... Just an accurate description of THEEEE BESTEST HC in NYJ history!!!

  2. #122
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    If Rex Ryan were a great coach, someone who is worthy of 7-10 years on our sidelines, he's have taken the core of that '09 team and built upon it. Instead, we are the rough equivalent of an expansion team now. Rex Ryan presided over every draft since 2009, that's 5 years, that's an entire NFL generation, and what we have today simply sucks, the worst collection of players in any NFL locker room.

    SAR I
    This argument that you and others keep making to help fuel your anti-Rex agenda is ridiculous. Mike Tannenbaum was the GM of the team for the first 4 years of Rex's tenure. He was in charge of personnel, not Rex Ryan.

    Even if Rex was pushing hard for every player decision he wanted (as head coaches often do), it was always Mike Tannenbaum who pulled the trigger. Even if Rex begged and pleaded for Tim Tebow, it was Tannenbaum's job to say no and tell him it was a bad idea. Even if Rex lobbied hard for Mark Sanchez to get the extension that is now crippling both our QB and cap situations, it was Tannenbaum's responsibility to point out that Sanchez hadn't earned it and it would put the team at risk. Every bad personnel move that led to the composition of the 2011 and 2012 rosters was on Mike Tannenbaum, despite what Rex Ryan had to say about them, and it's why Tannenbaum is no longer around.

    Trust us, after 1,000 posts on the topic, we understand that you blame the current state of the Jets on Rex Ryan and that you want him gone. If you must continue beating the dead horse, try to do so with arguments stronger than this one.

  3. #123
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    This argument that you and others keep making to help fuel your anti-Rex agenda is ridiculous. Mike Tannenbaum was the GM of the team for the first 4 years of Rex's tenure. He was in charge of personnel, not Rex Ryan.
    Rex and Tanny worked together. This team has been constructed over the past several years in Rex's image. He wanted Sparano, was happy as a clam that they were going back to the "ground and pound." Rex has tremendous power within the Jets organization, the fact that he still holds his job is proof of that. Some people have no problem throwing Tanny, Schotty, Sparano, etc. under the bus to somehow prop up the Rex-Sanchez regime as the saviors of the franchise. Whatever it takes to keep the faith of 2009 alive. If they aren't the saviors, it's back into the abyss, which no Jet fan wants to go into again.

  4. #124
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    If only we had drafted Matt Leinart
    He's a sanchez apologist as well...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  5. #125
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Rex and Tanny worked together. This team has been constructed over the past several years in Rex's image. He wanted Sparano, was happy as a clam that they were going back to the "ground and pound." Rex has tremendous power within the Jets organization, the fact that he still holds his job is proof of that. Some people have no problem throwing Tanny, Schotty, Sparano, etc. under the bus to somehow prop up the Rex-Sanchez regime as the saviors of the franchise. Whatever it takes to keep the faith of 2009 alive. If they aren't the saviors, it's back into the abyss, which no Jet fan wants to go into again.
    If Rex had "tremendous power" over personnel decisions, which is speculation on your part, then the fault for that lies with one of two people - neither of which is named "Rex Ryan": Mike Tannenbaum for giving Rex that much influence on how he did HIS job, or Woody Johnson for forcing Tannenbaum to capitulate to Rex's wishes.

    Rex was not, and is not, the General Manager of the New York Jets. He is their Head Coach. If, as you are theorizing, he was allowed to push his personnel agenda beyond the scope of his position to the detriment of the team, then the fault for that falls on whoever allowed it to happen.

  6. #126
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Rex and Tanny worked together. This team has been constructed over the past several years in Rex's image. He wanted Sparano, was happy as a clam that they were going back to the "ground and pound." Rex has tremendous power within the Jets organization, the fact that he still holds his job is proof of that. Some people have no problem throwing Tanny, Schotty, Sparano, etc. under the bus to somehow prop up the Rex-Sanchez regime as the saviors of the franchise. Whatever it takes to keep the faith of 2009 alive. If they aren't the saviors, it's back into the abyss, which no Jet fan wants to go into again.
    Who cares? If your accountant let your secretary manage your books and you get audited, who are you going to fire? The perfectly good secretary, or are going to get a new accountant, and your secretary will probably do an even better job now that she doesn't have to keep the books anymore. Sounds like a personal issue with you that you're trying like hell to rationalize.

  7. #127
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No, I'm just pissed because the sum-total of Rex Ryan's head coaching career is one thing when he inherited someone else's talent and quite a different thing when he tried to do it his own way.

    If Rex Ryan were a great coach, someone who is worthy of 7-10 years on our sidelines, he's have taken the core of that '09 team and built upon it. Instead, we are the rough equivalent of an expansion team now. Rex Ryan presided over every draft since 2009, that's 5 years, that's an entire NFL generation, and what we have today simply sucks, the worst collection of players in any NFL locker room.

    SAR I
    The "talent" that Rex inherited missed the playoffs the previous year. The next season, he got significantly more out of those players and took them to the AFC Championship Game. To prove it wasn't a fluke, he did it again the following year. I'm not making an argument that he's a "great" coach, but bad coaches don't take mediocre teams and make them immediately better.

    And again, if you're making the argument that personnel is the problem with the Jets, then you're doing a better job at exonerating Rex than us Ryan apologists can, because that's the one aspect of the team that is, by definition, not his job.

  8. #128
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Oh, so the #1 defense and the #1 running game in the NFL back in the day was filled with "medicore talent"? LOL.

    SAR I
    Were they the #1 defense and #1 running game before Rex got here? Really, you're making our arguments for us.

  9. #129
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    This argument that you and others keep making to help fuel your anti-Rex agenda is ridiculous. Mike Tannenbaum was the GM of the team for the first 4 years of Rex's tenure. He was in charge of personnel, not Rex Ryan.
    It is well-known that Rex Ryan had final say on all personnel matters. Newspapers, TV shows, radio shows, it's been covered. Read.

    Just because the truth doesn't jibe with your vision doesn't mean it isn't the truth. As evidenced by the fact that Rex Ryan is still here, Woody Johnson believed in the man, was going to let him shop for the groceries as well as cook the meals. This overcooked turkey is on him.

    SAR I

  10. #130
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    Were they the #1 defense and #1 running game before Rex got here? Really, you're making our arguments for us.
    That's not the point.

    The point is that mediocre talent can't be pushed to the #1 spot in the entire league. If the talent was mediocre, Rex's influence might have pushed them to #10 or #8, pretty impressive.

    To get the top spot, the talent needs to be there too.

    There is no 'argument' to be made. There is the truth and then there are silly children running around hugging their Mr. Met doll and their low standards, pretending the sky is green and the grass is blue and everything in Jet-land is a-okay.

    SAR I

  11. #131
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    The "talent" that Rex inherited missed the playoffs the previous year. The next season, he got significantly more out of those players and took them to the AFC Championship Game. To prove it wasn't a fluke, he did it again the following year. I'm not making an argument that he's a "great" coach, but bad coaches don't take mediocre teams and make them immediately better.

    And again, if you're making the argument that personnel is the problem with the Jets, then you're doing a better job at exonerating Rex than us Ryan apologists can, because that's the one aspect of the team that is, by definition, not his job.
    The previous year the Jets were sitting at 8-3 and in control of the AFC until Brett Favre got injured and ended our season. Prior to that, the Jets were on a 15 year run of averaging 9 wins a season with a healthy quarterback. The Jets were a very good roster, had been that way since 1998. Top 5 offensive line, Hall of Fame running back, great secondary. Rex pushed them into the playoffs (great) but his four years of player personnel influenced has returned us to the abyss (bad).

    Rex Ryan's epitaph when he's done in New York a year from now will be:

    1. He blew back-to-back AFC Championship Games because his teams were unprepared.

    2. His one-dimensional focus on defense and blind loyalty to old players wiped out all skill players on both sides of the ball.

    3. His lack of development of the young players that he drafted set the franchise back 5 years with a dysfunctional roster that doesn't stand for anything and isn't capable of beating winning teams.

    SAR I

  12. #132
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It is well-known that Rex Ryan had final say on all personnel matters. Newspapers, TV shows, radio shows, it's been covered. Read.

    Just because the truth doesn't jibe with your vision doesn't mean it isn't the truth. As evidenced by the fact that Rex Ryan is still here, Woody Johnson believed in the man, was going to let him shop for the groceries as well as cook the meals. This overcooked turkey is on him.

    SAR I
    Actually I read, watch, and listen to Jets coverage constantly, and don't recall any concrete statement anywhere saying that Rex had final say on all personnel matters over Tannenbaum. Since it's so "well-known", I'm sure you can provide just one link to back up this claim (note that I'm just asking for one, not a list of 10).

    Rex is still here because he is a good (if not great) first-time coach with some proven success and enough growth potential to overcome some of the mistakes he's made recently. The possibility that Woody just didn't want to pay his salary after releasing him does also sound plausible to me. You can throw Parcells-isms around all you want, but if Woody believed in Rex enough to give him full control (which is an "if" until I see the link you'll be providing), why even have Tannenbaum around to begin with? Or Idzik now?

  13. #133
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    That's not the point.

    The point is that mediocre talent can't be pushed to the #1 spot in the entire league. If the talent was mediocre, Rex's influence might have pushed them to #10 or #8, pretty impressive.

    To get the top spot, the talent needs to be there too.

    There is no 'argument' to be made. There is the truth and then there are silly children running around hugging their Mr. Met doll and their low standards, pretending the sky is green and the grass is blue and everything in Jet-land is a-okay.

    SAR I
    It's clear based on your rhetoric that you see your own opinions and theories as facts. And yet you claim that us "silly children" are the ones that have created a safe little world for ourselves. Must be nice. (I'm not a Mets fan, nor do I think everything is rosy in Jetland, by the way)

    No one is saying the Jets team Rex inherited had no talent, but in his first press conference he promised to stress defense and the running game, and damned if he didn't make the Jets #1 in both categories (despite the previous season's team not being at that level). He also took a team that did not make the playoffs the year before (a good definition of "mediocre at best", in my book) to the AFC Championship Game with a rookie QB instead of Brett Favre. These are facts, in case you don't recognize them in your world where Rex Ryan is the anti-christ.
    Last edited by MykePM; 04-07-2013 at 02:02 AM.

  14. #134
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No, I'm just pissed because the sum-total of Rex Ryan's head coaching career is one thing when he inherited someone else's talent and quite a different thing when he tried to do it his own way.

    If Rex Ryan were a great coach, someone who is worthy of 7-10 years on our sidelines, he's have taken the core of that '09 team and built upon it. Instead, we are the rough equivalent of an expansion team now. Rex Ryan presided over every draft since 2009, that's 5 years, that's an entire NFL generation, and what we have today simply sucks, the worst collection of players in any NFL locker room.

    Right now, I am merely amused. Amused at how Rex is going to be tortured in this 3-13 season, amused at how we'll likely blow the #1 pick in next year's draft, amused at the fans who are so puppy-loved with Rex Ryan that they can't see the truth. You would have thought you'd have stopped huffing the Rex Ryan perfume at the end of 2011, definitely at the end of 2012. But no, so in love with the clown you just have to keep defending him. It's laughable.

    SAR I
    In other words, you don't know what you're talking about, don't know who was responsible for what, are clueless as to what a GM does, imagine that Rex had final say and believe that if the GM gave away final say he isn't to blame.

    And that the jets will somehow blow the draft, that you think this would be amusing. That you know the Jets will win only 3 games. That this would amuse you, that you want this. That you are this much of a loser.

    That you think my facts amount to making excuses for him is just one more example how clueless you are and how you can't come up with anything to actually blame him for. Other than to call him names.

    Maybe Rex should run and cry to a mod

  15. #135
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    Actually I read, watch, and listen to Jets coverage constantly, and don't recall any concrete statement anywhere saying that Rex had final say on all personnel matters over Tannenbaum. Since it's so "well-known", I'm sure you can provide just one link to back up this claim (note that I'm just asking for one, not a list of 10).

    Rex is still here because he is a good (if not great) first-time coach with some proven success and enough growth potential to overcome some of the mistakes he's made recently. The possibility that Woody just didn't want to pay his salary after releasing him does also sound plausible to me. You can throw Parcells-isms around all you want, but if Woody believed in Rex enough to give him full control (which is an "if" until I see the link you'll be providing), why even have Tannenbaum around to begin with? Or Idzik now?
    All the principle involved have said that Tanny had final say. That, as in all orgs, every opinion has some weight but when it comes down to who has final say, it was Tanny.

    SAR as you've noticed, makes things up as he goes along to fit his agenda.

  16. #136
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,531
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan is a good coach.....these people calling for his firing is beyond absurd...I thankful that the Jets brain trust does not think like many on this board.



    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    The "talent" that Rex inherited missed the playoffs the previous year. The next season, he got significantly more out of those players and took them to the AFC Championship Game. To prove it wasn't a fluke, he did it again the following year. I'm not making an argument that he's a "great" coach, but bad coaches don't take mediocre teams and make them immediately better.

    And again, if you're making the argument that personnel is the problem with the Jets, then you're doing a better job at exonerating Rex than us Ryan apologists can, because that's the one aspect of the team that is, by definition, not his job.

  17. #137
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    All the principle involved have said that Tanny had final say. That, as in all orgs, every opinion has some weight but when it comes down to who has final say, it was Tanny.
    The "principle people" have an agenda to save their jobs. Listen to Shein, listen to Francesa, listen to Schecter, it's all there.

    Being a bad player-personnel guy is but one of the reasons to get rid of Rex Ryan. There are many, many more.

    But the reasons to keep Rex Ryan? Still waiting.

    SAR I

  18. #138
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The "principle people" have an agenda to save their jobs. Listen to Shein, listen to Francesa, listen to Schecter, it's all there.

    Being a bad player-personnel guy is but one of the reasons to get rid of Rex Ryan. There are many, many more.

    But the reasons to keep Rex Ryan? Still waiting.

    SAR I
    We are in this situation not because of anything at all that Rex did, we are in it because sanchez regressed each season as opposed to getting better.

    Rex had very talented teams in 2009 and 2010 and he made it to the AFC Championship both times. In 2009 we were done when greene got hurt and all we had was an old slow RB - and we got beat by a top 5 QB of all time.

    In 2010 this "unprepared" team you speak of got off the field on 3rd down only to be done in yet again by a Cro penalty to keep the drive alive. His unprepared defense then stopped mendenhall behind the line only to have bart miss the tackle - again, the coach cant go on the field and make plays.

    In 2011, as his veteran team aged, it was time to change philosophy - get away from leaning on the run game and defense and let his 3rd year QB take the leap. Unfortunately for everyone one of us on the board the QB instead had the first of back to back 26 turnover seasons. Had Sanchez stepped up and improved as the defense aged we would have remained competitive.

    In 2012, we lost our starting TE, WR, NT and the best CB in the game. The QB played so atrociously that he again led the NFL in pick 6s and fumbles (26 turnovers yet again in even less games played). That teams still managed to win 6 games which all things considered was miracle.

    Rex has shortcomings, no doubt about it, he needs to drastically improve his in-game management for one. But to blame him is ridiculous.

    We won 14 games in 2 years with the worst QB in the NFL - most coaches would have back to back 2 win seasons.

  19. #139
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    so who exactly left of consequence from the jets staff besides maybe pettine? i don't think dugliemo or sutton, or sparano are going to do much no matter where they land.

    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The exodus of his entire coaching staff and the dismantling of his entire defense should have given Rex the hint.

    If he cared about his career at all, he'd have resigned by now. Instead, he's in a staredown with Woody, going to pocket his $8M and retire as an NFL disgrace at a low end hotel in the Bahamas a year from now.

    SAR I

  20. #140
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The previous year the Jets were sitting at 8-3 and in control of the AFC until Brett Favre got injured and ended our season. Prior to that, the Jets were on a 15 year run of averaging 9 wins a season with a healthy quarterback. The Jets were a very good roster, had been that way since 1998. Top 5 offensive line, Hall of Fame running back, great secondary. Rex pushed them into the playoffs (great) but his four years of player personnel influenced has returned us to the abyss (bad).
    I think it's interesting that you offer a "healthy QB" exemption for the pre-Rex Jets, but you aren't willing to acknowledge the significant injuries Rex had to deal with last year. I guess you feel that losing Chad Pennington was more significant than losing arguably the best defensive player in the whole league and their 2 leading receivers from the previous season. You must think Herm Edwards was a great coach compared to Rex.

    It's also worth mentioning that in addition to losing the top 2 receivers from 2011 due to injury in 2012, #s 3 and 4 from the 2011 list were already gone from the team, and the GM (who wasn't named Rex Ryan, by the way) saw fit to replace them with a rookie WR who most people saw as a project and Chaz Schillens.

    Oh, and even with those challenges, the Jets are averaging 8.5 wins a year over Rex's tenure, with no exemptions -- 9.5 wins a season if you count the playoffs.

    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex Ryan's epitaph when he's done in New York a year from now will be:

    1. He blew back-to-back AFC Championship Games because his teams were unprepared.

    2. His one-dimensional focus on defense and blind loyalty to old players wiped out all skill players on both sides of the ball.

    3. His lack of development of the young players that he drafted set the franchise back 5 years with a dysfunctional roster that doesn't stand for anything and isn't capable of beating winning teams.

    SAR I
    Obviously, this is how you choose to see things, and no arguments (however logical or factual) will change your mind. That's fine. However, this is how I choose to define Rex's tenure so far:

    1. Rex Ryan is already the 2nd-most successful head coach in New York Jets history, and the most successful in the past 40 years.

    2. If you judge a head coach by how far his team progresses in the postseason (which I think is a good barometer), Rex Ryan is a top-10 coach in the league over the 4 years he has been the HC of the NYJ (only exceeded by the 8 coaches who have made it to the Super Bowl during that time).

    3. He hasn't been perfect, and the last 2 seasons have been a struggle at times, but the successes he's had as a first-time head coach have been significant enough to earn him his shot this year, and possibly beyond -- based on the team's performance this upcoming season.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us