Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rutgers Mike Rice

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    I never met him. The punishment was severe AND corrective measures were taken. Nowhere except here have I seen that action was delayed. Your motives are as suspect as Murdock's.
    I have no association with Rutgers, with anyone involved at any level. Just read and looked at the video and the interviews. You referred to Pernetti by his first name in an early post, so it certainly appeared you had some personal connection. We simply disagree. I didn't think the punishment was severe at all, given Rice's behavior. I am hard pressed to imagine an organization that wouldn't fire someone on the spot for what he did. But not Rutgers. And it took videotapes to get them to act. It's so obvious what happened that I'm surprised you defend it, but so be it. More heads will roll, as they should. What really got to me was the complete abuse of trust that occurred, both to the students and to the parents. Treating those kids like pieces of meat and chattel was just despicable. Pernetti knew very well that Rice came with a reputation for this sort of thing, yet he was hired. When it was brought to his attention that the guy was taking his act to a new level, he didn't act. Meanwhile, those kids were still being treated like sh*t. The whole thing is disgusting on several levels, and your best answer is that Pernetti brought money to the University and he slapped Rice on the wrist, so everything should be peachy. I call that BS.
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 04-04-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drums are beating louder. Over 50 faculty members have signed a petition to ax the AD and question the Prez about the whole thing.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-rutgers-f...5311--spt.html

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) — The call from faculty members and politicians to oust top Rutgers University administrators grew louder Thursday, a day after men's basketball coach Mike Rice was fired for mistreating players, including shoving them and berating them with gay slurs.

More than 50 faculty members signed a letter calling for the dismissal of Athletic Director Tim Pernetti and an explanation from President Robert Barchi for why he didn't fire Rice last year when he learned of a video showing Rice's behavior during practices.

Stephen Sweeney, the president of the state Senate, also called for Pernetti to step down or be fired. Pernetti deserves credit for getting Rutgers into the Big Ten conference, but he mishandled this situation, Sweeney said.

"This incident will continue to hang over Rutgers like a dark cloud for weeks, months and perhaps years to come," the Democratic lawmaker said in a statement. "It seems pretty clear that things were not handled well from the start."

Meanwhile, the number calling for Barchi to step down more than doubled Thursday to 28.

The letter calling for Barchi's resignation was first sent to the university's governing boards on Wednesday. In it, the faculty cite Barchi's "inexcusable handling of coach Mike Rice's homophobic and misogynist abuse" of players, his "continued pattern of insensitivity and arrogance toward issues of diversity" and the "secrecy and lack of transparency that he has exhibited in his relations" with faculty, staff and students.

It's unclear what effect the calls might have on the president or the athletic director. Neither was willing to be interviewed by The Associated Press on Wednesday or Thursday. Members of the university's two governing boards have been mum.

Barchi, a neuroscience researcher before he became a university administrator, was hired a year ago and took office Sept. 1 to lead the university with 58,000 students on three campuses. He had been president of Thomas Jefferson University, a Philadelphia health sciences university, and before that was an administrator at the University of Pennsylvania.

He was brought to Rutgers as the university takes over two medical schools that now are part of the separate University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. The ongoing reconfiguration of the state's higher education system is intended to expand Rutgers' life-science research prowess, and Barchi was chosen largely to oversee that.

He had never been an administrator, though, at a school with athletic scholarships.

Over the past decade, Rutgers' athletic program has grown increasingly ambitious and expensive, largely as the university's football team transformed from an also-ran to a power in the Big East conference. The school's teams are set next year to join the more prestigious Big Ten, a move engineered largely by Pernetti, a former TV sports executive.

Shortly after he took office, Barchi told reporters that high-profile sports teams are an important way to increase the university's visibility, but that he wanted to gradually reduce the university's operating subsidy for sports — currently about $8 million per year — while continuing to pay for scholarships for athletes at a cost of about $10 million annually.

Barchi said in a statement Wednesday that Pernetti told him last year about the video of Rice made by a former basketball program employee, but he said he did not watch the video until Tuesday, the day it was made public.

In December, after the university consulted lawyers and commissioned an independent report on Rice's actions, Barchi said he agreed to suspend the coach for three games, fine him and order him to anger management counseling.

He said that when he saw the video, he realized that Rice needed to be removed entirely.

The faculty calling for Barchi to step down said in their letter that he knew enough to remove the coach months ago.

"Although President Barchi is now suggesting otherwise, he has known about Coach Rice's homophobic, misogynist and abusive behavior for several months now," the letter said.

Ron Becker, head of special collections and university archives at Rutgers, said he believes the handling of the situation needs to be reviewed.

"The value of sports and the Division I atmosphere often trumps some of the basic needs of the university," he said. "The pressure to win and succeed at athletics seems to trump (academics) around here."

Democratic state lawmakers, particularly Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver, have been calling for legislative hearings on why Rice was not fired sooner, but as of Thursday, none had been scheduled.

Keeping the coach on through the season cost the university a portion of Rice's salary — he was paid $622,500 in 2012 — and also a $100,000 bonus for coaching the final game of the year. "That fact makes his suspension and fine look even more ridiculous," Sweeney said.

Athletic department spokesman Jason Baum said Thursday that the university is contractually obligated to pay the bonus, which is due this month.

___

Delli Santi reported from Trenton. Also contributing to this report were AP reporters Geoff Mulvihill in Haddonfield and Katie Zezima in Newark.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Barchi and Pernetti(Tim is easier to type on a Droid) have a discrepancy here. Did he see the video when Tim pointed it out? If not why? Sounds like someone's going under the bus. FTR I'm believing the AD.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-04-2013 at 07:01 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barchi and Pernetti(Tim is easier to type on a Droid) have a discrepancy here. Did he see the video when Tim pointed it out? If not why? Sounds like someone's going under the bus. FTR I'm believing the AD.
    Yup. What a surprise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The AD is falling on the sword, the question is when.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I have no association with Rutgers, with anyone involved at any level. Just read and looked at the video and the interviews. You referred to Pernetti by his first name in an early post, so it certainly appeared you had some personal connection. We simply disagree. I didn't think the punishment was severe at all, given Rice's behavior. I am hard pressed to imagine an organization that wouldn't fire someone on the spot for what he did. But not Rutgers. And it took videotapes to get them to act. It's so obvious what happened that I'm surprised you defend it, but so be it. More heads will roll, as they should. What really got to me was the complete abuse of trust that occurred, both to the students and to the parents. Treating those kids like pieces of meat and chattel was just despicable. Pernetti knew very well that Rice came with a reputation for this sort of thing, yet he was hired. When it was brought to his attention that the guy was taking his act to a new level, he didn't act. Meanwhile, those kids were still being treated like sh*t. The whole thing is disgusting on several levels, and your best answer is that Pernetti brought money to the University and he slapped Rice on the wrist, so everything should be peachy. I call that BS.
    Where did I say slap on the wrist? I said the opposite. I never said Pernetti made $$ for the school and that doesn't matter since he did everything right. Supervisor. Outside professional advisor. Not some troll on a message board. Try to address some facts before looking for your pound of flesh. There was never at ANY point an attempt to cover anything up. He presented the video himself. Long before, he sought council for recommendations. Doesn't sound to me that he was trying to hide anything. The whole process was as transparent as could be. You don't agree with the punishment but the councelling worked. Again just see what the players are saying.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-04-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Just read it. Austin never developed into the player I thought he would and I think he knows it. I would like to hear from the guys who transferred and his recruiting fell off as well.
    Rice had faults. Lots of them. Now his assistant even looks worse. I haven't seen where Pernetti turned his back on this. IF that is indeed the case then he's gotta go too. Can we shelve all the politicians and media until we actually KNOW?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rice had faults. Lots of them. Now his assistant even looks worse. I haven't seen where Pernetti turned his back on this. IF that is indeed the case then he's gotta go too. Can we shelve all the politicians and media until we actually KNOW?
    Agreed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pernetti should stay.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He was fired. Good for ESPN. Now let's hear from Bobby Knight
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-05-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    bunch of BS, the pussification of America continues, the gay/lesbian liberal teachers win out... Murdoch the blackmailer wins, although he is totally unhireable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be bitter

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rutgers basketball is pathetic with the amount of talent that comes out of NJ/NYC area each year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My only question--does Rice have a lawsuit? As bad as his actions may have been--and they were-- he's a state employee with a guaranteed contract.

He clearly breached his duties--but he was ALREADY disciplined by the state agency that hired him and that gave him the contract.

Just because his deplorable actions were made public--does that allow the state agency to say, "never mind we were kidding, we're now going to fire you".

The guy did his time, paid the fine, went to anger management--unless he did something else in the interim--how can they punish him again?

If I'm him I'm suing.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, he tendered his resignation and it was accepted. As Flagman would say, that's the "p*ssy" version of firing. Those damn gays and lesbians at again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It was forced. Read his resignation letter for some facts. This guy won't be out of work long.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was forced. Read his resignation letter for some facts. This guy won't be out of work long.
    Letter would of meant a little more if he didn't get on t.v and tell everyone Rice should not of been fired a few days ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I know. That's why I called it a "p*ssy" version of firing, to use Flagman's interesting vernacular. He took the liberal, lesbian way out.

By the way, you accused me of obscure bad motives when I compared this to Penn State re the handling of the issue. Plenty of press people have mentioned precisely the same. It's pretty obvious, frankly.
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 04-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    My only question--does Rice have a lawsuit? As bad as his actions may have been--and they were-- he's a state employee with a guaranteed contract.

He clearly breached his duties--but he was ALREADY disciplined by the state agency that hired him and that gave him the contract.

Just because his deplorable actions were made public--does that allow the state agency to say, "never mind we were kidding, we're now going to fire you".

The guy did his time, paid the fine, went to anger management--unless he did something else in the interim--how can they punish him again?

If I'm him I'm suing.

_
    If they paid off his contact, what would be the grounds for suing? Don't they have the right to let him go under those conditions?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    Rutgers basketball is pathetic with the amount of talent that comes out of NJ/NYC area each year.
    problem is that talent doesn't want to play for Rutgers and leaves nj.