Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rutgers Mike Rice

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Ped State? Really? Rice tried to make the kids play better. Bobby Knight did worse but he won. Rice is a schmuck and got what he deserved but Pernetti gave a severe punishment and ordered counseling to correct the problem. That punishment was endorsed by his superior and an outside audit.
    Yeah, Penn State lite in the sense that the school followed the same script, with Pernetti dead in the middle making terrible decisions in the midst of a different kind of abuse scandal. Emotional and physical abuse leave their scars as well, just as sexual abuse does. I still remember a coach we had in high school who used to run up behind guys and kick them in butt as hard as he could if they weren't moving fast enough. The pr*ck was completely nuts. I just am amazed at the guys who come here and say, oh well, that stuff happened to me so it's okay. No, it's completely screwed up and does damage. Pernetti will scramble but he'll lose his job. Has to. And should.

Not sure what you mean by that but he IS popular on campus for good reason. He's relatively new on the job and has done well in some things. He's a Rutgers guy and hopefully will work to improve the brand. If not he'll be out but not this soon.
    Every Basketball game I have attended I have watched him make sure people knew he was there, yet he let Rice act like a mad man for 2.5 seasons.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

These videos were edited from hours and hours of tape from years prior. This didn't go on every day for 2.5 seasons. Tim acted as soon as he knew of a problem and there's been nothing since. Besides the counselling there WAS also monitoring. I haven't known ADs to attend many practices. Perhaps they should. Rutgers is not like Ohio State where they can just pay a guy off and buy a new one. I'm sure Rice is lining up a lawsuit.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-04-2013 at 10:18 AM.

He flat out sucked but Pernetti has the school in the B1G. No way he gets canned for this failure unless the president throws him under the bus. We can agree on Rice but disagree on Tim. I completely understand the emotional reactions but you should brush up on the time frames involved. What about Murdock? How do you find him in this?
    Murdock is the biggest Sc**bag of all. He's basically dead man walking...don't forget, Tony Soprano(Gandolfini) is a Rutgers guy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Murdock is the biggest Sc**bag of all. He's basically dead man walking...don't forget, Tony Soprano(Gandolfini) is a Rutgers guy.
    Perhaps. But the fact remains that Rice was abusing his players. Doesn't matter how the information comes to you, as a director you simply have to investigate it. Pernetti did nothing at all in July, demanding "proof" from the whistleblower. Then he waits until November when "proof" is delivered to act. That's just plain crazy. Tell me of any other organization where something like this is brought forward and a manager says, "Oh, I can just ignore your allegations because you didn't provide me videotape." Doesn't matter if it's somebody you can't stand personally or you think has an axe to grind. You investigate simply to avoid liability, if nothing else. Pernetti should be fired. Egregious failure to protect the students at Rutgers in the face of allegations that could have at least been investigated. Suppose Rice was sexually abusing those kids and he did nothing... would that resonate for the apologists here?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Let's get some things straight. Murdock is not a whistleblower. He acted in his own interests and not for the kids. Sexual abuse? Let's not fan this media **** storm. It was bad but nothing was ever covered up. In fact the disciplinary actions were made very public. In fact No one is defending Rice. Any claim thereof hints at ulterior agendas. The Ped State mentions brings that out.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-04-2013 at 11:42 AM.

All Pro
    Let's get some things straight. Murdock is not a whistleblower. He acted in his own interests and not for the kids. Sexual abuse? Let's not fan this media **** storm. It was bad but nothing was ever covered up. In fact the disciplinary actions were made very public. In fact No one is defending Rice. Any claim thereof hints at ulterior agendas. The Ped State mentions brings that out.
    B.S. No it was not acted on when brought to Pernetti. It was only acted on when Pernetti was forced by a videotape to act. In the shadow of the Penn State debacle, his management of this affair was abominable and completely out of touch. Was he really that arrogant to think this would simply go away? He needs to go.

Rice is a punk. Deserved to be fired. He has ZERO grounds for a suit. In fact players should be suing HIM.
    The AD covered it up. Should be fired. Today.
    The president? Mixed feelings. Immediate investigation. If he was fully aware 4 months ago - fired.

Enough with coverups and abusive coaches.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    B.S. No it was not acted on when brought to Pernetti. It was only acted on when Pernetti was forced by a videotape to act. In the shadow of the Penn State debacle, his management of this affair was abominable and completely out of touch. Was he really that arrogant to think this would simply go away? He needs to go.
    This is nonsense. It was brought to his attention by someone looking to blackmail him. Punishment and prevention were instilled. Look at the facts and don't let the media steer your emotions. Now we have the Daily News wheel out Frischilla as a character witness for Murdock. No one remembers that Fran was fired for the exact. Same. Thing.
    If in fact there was a coverup then fire Tim too. I've seen no evidence even from a blood thirsty media.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-04-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    This isn't football, if he chucked a ball at me I would have chased him down in the gym and pummeled his ass.
    This. I dont understand how one of these kids didnt walk up and say, "Coach, if you ever throw something at me again, there is going to be a problem."

All Pro
    This is nonsense. It was brought to his attention by someone looking to blackmail him. Punishment and prevention were instilled. Look at the facts and don't let the media steer your emotions. Now we have the Daily News wheel out Frischilla as a character witness for Murdock. No one remembers that Fran was fired for the exact. Same. Thing.
    If in fact there was a coverup then fire Tim too. I've seen no evidence even from a blood thirsty media.
    I can only surmise you know him personally, thus the apologetics. ESPN interviewed him at length and he stated everything I've noted. The main issue now is whether he will take down the President of the University with him, or only one rat will be sent from the sinking ship. What you don't seem to get is that the punishment was not appropriate to Rice's actions. And they occurred way way too late and only under duress.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    This. I dont understand how one of these kids didnt walk up and say, "Coach, if you ever throw something at me again, there is going to be a problem."
    Maybe they didn't want to rock the boat and don't want to be singled out by the rest for not "taking it like a man".

All I know is, EVEN IN MY DAY, that's would be the early 70's, if a coach was doing that crap to me and my old man found out about it? He'd be waiting outside for the coach. My dad was an ex Army D.I. and he believed that if I deserved to be punished, then he, and only he, would do it. Or my mom, but she couldn't swing a belt worth a d@mn. lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I can only surmise you know him personally, thus the apologetics. ESPN interviewed him at length and he stated everything I've noted. The main issue now is whether he will take down the President of the University with him, or only one rat will be sent from the sinking ship. What you don't seem to get is that the punishment was not appropriate to Rice's actions. And they occurred way way too late and only under duress.
    I never met him. The punishment was severe AND corrective measures were taken. Nowhere except here have I seen that action was delayed. Your motives are as suspect as Murdock's.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    You have to be released by the AD and they are there on a full scholarship of which Rice can control.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    You have to be released by the AD and they are there on a full scholarship of which Rice can control.
    I'm too challenged to post a link by phone but just look at Austin Johnson's comments in today's Star Ledger.

I'm too challenged to post a link by phone but just look at Austin Johnson's comments in today's Star Ledger.
    Will do

All Pro
    I coach basketball for AAU (mostly 13 to 15 year olds) and a couple of other leagues.

I know a lot of coaches and man coach at higher levels than me. There are a lot of guys like Mike Rice out there. You can tell based on behavior at games. They scream the whole game, chastise kids loudly in quiet gyms. Some parents adore the style because they think it instills discipline. They never get to see the practices where stuff like pushing, name calling and straight up bullying are common.

Its a lazy coaching style. It needs to be weeded out from the lowest of levels and the kids need to be taught that its not ok to be treated like that. A coach can instill discipline without bullying kids.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Nice post. Agree that too many use that style and there are more effective ways to get results.

Nice post. Agree that too many use that style and there are more effective ways to get results.
    Just read it. Austin never developed into the player I thought he would and I think he knows it. I would like to hear from the guys who transferred and his recruiting fell off as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    I coach basketball for AAU (mostly 13 to 15 year olds) and a couple of other leagues.

I know a lot of coaches and man coach at higher levels than me. There are a lot of guys like Mike Rice out there. You can tell based on behavior at games. They scream the whole game, chastise kids loudly in quiet gyms. Some parents adore the style because they think it instills discipline. They never get to see the practices where stuff like pushing, name calling and straight up bullying are common.

Its a lazy coaching style. It needs to be weeded out from the lowest of levels and the kids need to be taught that its not ok to be treated like that. A coach can instill discipline without bullying kids.
    I saw a coach ejected from a 4th grade AAU game last month. I mean, you would have thought he was coaching in a game 7 of the NBA finals. Wheres the fun man? I tell my son all the time, the number 1 thing every time you step on the court is to have fun. If its not fun, we will do something else.

Those kids in that gym with rice were not having fun.