Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rutgers Mike Rice

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Rutgers Mike Rice

He should of been fired last year and the AD should be next.
    Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rice deserved to be fired. You can't throw balls at players like that. That is abuse. Same for some of the hard pushing. As far as the yelling and grabbing, that is pretty much commonplace. The first 25 seconds of the below video is not that bad IMO.

Pernetti should keep his job pending an investigation into how he and the President investigated the issue and how they made their decision. I have a hard time calling for someone's head without knowing all the details. We don't know who made the decisions and who was involved. Maybe they had the blessing of the trustees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVoOtpDuZwA
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Rice deserved to be fired. You can't throw balls at players like that. That is abuse. Same for some of the hard pushing. As far as the yelling and grabbing, that is pretty much commonplace. The first 25 seconds of the below video is not that bad IMO.

Pernetti should keep his job pending an investigation into how he and the President investigated the issue and how they made their decision. I have a hard time calling for someone's head without knowing all the details. We don't know who made the decisions and who was involved. Maybe they had the blessing of the trustees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVoOtpDuZwA
    Pernetti being all over the media defending their actions will and should make him the fall guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Pernetti being all over the media defending their actions will and should make him the fall guy.
    He seemed pretty transparent and like he had nothing to hide. Maybe he will end up being the fall guy. He did fall on the sword today for the President saying that it was only his decision. But that contradicts what he said yesterday about him consulting with the President and outside consultants about what to do.

That is why there needs to be an investigation and there will likely be one. I would be interesting in hearing what the players have to say. It seems like that video is more so a highlight (lowlight) reel of his behavior over the course of several seasons. I wonder if any players were involved with blowing the whistle or was it all the Murdoch's doing. There are rumors that Murdoch was basically extorting Pernetti with the video.

From personal experience, I have been pushed, pulled cursed at and thought nothing of it. Never had anyone throw a ball at me like that. But you are so focused on practicing and getting ready for the game that you don't really think anything of it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ad and president of the college should also be fired. rutgers is the most corrupt college in the state of nj.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't football, if he chucked a ball at me I would have chased him down in the gym and pummeled his ass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Rice should be fired never work in the business again. Ever. Rutgers is going to be facing some lawsuits over this from parents of players. That any of this is condoned is simply reprehensible. It shows how abuse becomes normalized, even expected, in some circles. Disgraceful.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when he was coaching at Bobby Morris. He was a prick then. Guys i work with would see him out and he was just an a$$. I was glad to see him go. Now even happier.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    New QB coach for Sanchez?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalbarracuda View Post
    New QB coach for Sanchez?
    LOL. He might give Mark the push he needs. And I think Rice can teach him some accuracy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Pernetti did everything right. He went to his superior and consulted professional advice outside the school. The initial punishment was severe and just but now that it's grown legs firing is a must. I played football and this was tame compared to what we went thru back in the day. Times are different now so this is the current penalty. The worst in all this are Murdoch and ESPN. Not defending Rice at all but the other players in this fiasco have no one but themselves at interest. They're the ones using these kids. Murdock stole footage and used it to embezzle after he was "fired" for insubordination. The network is embarrassed that they lost their B1G bid. Neither cared about the kids then and don't mind humiliating them now. There's plenty of filth here but leave Tim alone.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-03-2013 at 10:02 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Pernetti did everything right. He went to his superior and consulted professional advice outside the school. The initial punishment was severe and just but now that it's grown legs firing is a must. I played football and this was tame compared to what we went thru back in the day. Times are different now so this is the current penalty. The worst in all this are Murdoch and ESPN. Not defending Rice at all but the other players in this fiasco have no one but themselves at interest. They're the ones using these kids. Murdock stole footage and used it to embezzle after he was "fired" for insubordination. The network is embarrassed that they lost their B1G bid. Neither cared about the kids then and don't mind humiliating them now. There's plenty of filth here but leave Tim alone.
    You're serious? Pernetti will and should be fired. Period. To say that he did everything right is just ridiculous. If you're the head of a department and someone brings you such allegations, you have an obligation to investigate them. How about just spending some time at practices? Or sending someone less obvious to take a look. That's back in July, not November. He did nothing, by his own account, because he claims he didn't have any hard evidence. That's just plain idiotic. I manage a large department and I just can't imagine anyone being that stupid or arrogant. This is Penn State lite. Another administration looking the other way, minimizing, then being exposed. Fire his *ss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ped State? Really? Rice tried to make the kids play better. Bobby Knight did worse but he won. Rice is a schmuck and got what he deserved but Pernetti gave a severe punishment and ordered counseling to correct the problem. That punishment was endorsed by his superior and an outside audit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ped State? Really? Rice tried to make the kids play better. Bobby Knight did worse but he won. Rice is a schmuck and got what he deserved but Pernetti gave a severe punishment and ordered counseling to correct the problem. That punishment was endorsed by his superior and an outside audit.
    Rice couldn't control himself and has been a mediocre coach while at Rutgers. Bobby Knight is a basketball genius and he suffered because of his failure to change with the times.
    When I watch those videos of Rice you cane see players pretending everything is ok, like kids with an alcoholic dad. Awful and a complete embarrassment. Tim Pernetti brought him here and the initial punishment wasn't enough and to pretending it was is laughable. Outside audit? That's a lame cop out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Using obscenities and shoving a player into position I can live with. Happened to me back in the day. These are different times but they're athletes and supposed to be tougher than office workers. Throwing a ball that hard at a kids legs is inexcusable. The fine and suspension were severe but the counseling corrected the problem. All that should've been done was. I'd also have been fine if he was fired initially. He doesn't have the success Knight did and folks are more sensitive today. Pernetti did right.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 04-03-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Using obscenities and shoving a player into position I can live with. Happened to me back in the day. These are different times but they're athletes and supposed to be tougher than office workers. Throwing a ball that hard at a kids legs is inexcusable. The fine and suspension were severe but the counseling corrected the problem. All that should've been done was. I'd also have been fine if he was fired initially. He doesn't have the success Knight did and folks are more sensitive today. Pernetti did right.
    Throwing the ball at kids heads, legs and making them do push up after he belittles them didn't work. He was a failure and now Rutgers has to pick up the pieces. Pernetti gets credit for that as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He flat out sucked but Pernetti has the school in the B1G. No way he gets canned for this failure unless the president throws him under the bus. We can agree on Rice but disagree on Tim. I completely understand the emotional reactions but you should brush up on the time frames involved. What about Murdock? How do you find him in this?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He flat out sucked but Pernetti has the school in the B1G. No way he gets canned for this failure unless the president throws him under the bus. We can agree on Rice but disagree on Tim. I completely understand the emotional reactions but you should brush up on the time frames involved. What about Murdock? How do you find him in this?
    Loved Murdock as a player, but if it is true he wanted a million dollars to bury the tape he's an absolute fool.

I'm not a big fan of Pernetti, he seems to like himself enough for everyone, he loves to be noticed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you mean by that but he IS popular on campus for good reason. He's relatively new on the job and has done well in some things. He's a Rutgers guy and hopefully will work to improve the brand. If not he'll be out but not this soon.