Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFLPA Executive Dir Smith asked agents to pass on any suspicions of collusion f

NFLPA Executive Dir Smith asked agents to pass on any suspicions of collusion f

@RavensInsider: NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith asked agents to pass on any suspicions of collusion from NFL teams regarding free agency

Hall Of Fame
    Smith needs to step down. The players got shafted in the CBA under his watch.

All League
    Who is Smith kidding? The owners "schooled" him in the last CBA and kept
    the cap flat. That covers them from the accusation of collusion, all a team
    has to say is "We're tight against the cap all we can offer is a 1 year deal
    at the vet minimum"

@RavensInsider: As far as suspicion of collusion amongst NFL teams in free agency, it's hard to prove, though. De Smith asked agents in letter to pass on

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Who is Smith kidding? The owners "schooled" him in the last CBA and kept
    the cap flat. That covers them from the accusation of collusion, all a team
    has to say is "We're tight against the cap all we can offer is a 1 year deal
    at the vet minimum"
    QFT.

I'd be shocked if he gets to negotiate on the player's behalf again.

This is why players like Victor Cruz and such will never, ever, be signed away by other teams ever again. Those days are long over. The owners have an agreement.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This is why players like Victor Cruz and such will never, ever, be signed away by other teams ever again. Those days are long over. The owners have an agreement.
    I think there is some truth to this in the regard that I think owners don't like to make things hard on one another.

But the last time a player was lost by a team that gave them a first-round tender was a long time ago. Nobody likes to give up a first round pick AND have to sign the player to a large contract.

So I think it does fall short of collusion. I don't think they conspire against players. I just think they don't like to upset eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Smith needs to step down. The players got shafted in the CBA under his watch.
    The players get 50% of all revenues. In what other business model does that happen? Just because the cap is flat the first few years of the agreement doesn't mean they got screwed. The new TV revenues just haven't kicked in yet. When they do, the players are guaranteed to share in that wealth. A guaranteed raise when your company's revenues increase. We're talking revenues, not profitability mind you. Do you, or anybody you know, get that?

@JasonColeYahoo: NFLPA exec dir De Smith sends out memo to agents saying union is getting complaints of collusion by teams. Union is seeking info to prove.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    The players get 50% of all revenues. In what other business model does that happen? Just because the cap is flat the first few years of the agreement doesn't mean they got screwed. The new TV revenues just haven't kicked in yet. When they do, the players are guaranteed to share in that wealth. A guaranteed raise when your company's revenues increase. We're talking revenues, not profitability mind you. Do you, or anybody you know, get that?
    I only get 30% only on labor, and I'm very happy with that.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 04-03-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    You can have a one-day vacation.

How's the handle on that concept?

Veteran
    I agree for the most part, professional football players with unique talents get paid incredibly well.

That said I am not surprised the salary cap has straight lined, the middle class that paid for stadium tickets/cable fees (and supported those corporations who spent those advertising dollars on broadcast television) is shrinking.

Players like Darelle Revis may have been lucky enough to play in what was a golden era of NFL football salaries. I personally do not think that we are experiencing a temporary hiccup to skyrocketing salaries.

What they need to worry about is corporate espionage in the NFL, and then cheating on the field. You can't regulate everything the way they want to. Too man people needed to monitor so much.

Hall Of Fame
    Players got hosed. Until we see how much it goes up it is purely speculation. Right now the owners have "won" the first three years of a ten year deal.

And we will never know exactly how much the owners make b.c they do not fully open their books. So in real percentages the players might only be getting something like 40% of the pie. Maybe less.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I agree for the most part, professional football players with unique talents get paid incredibly well.

That said I am not surprised the salary cap has straight lined, the middle class that paid for stadium tickets/cable fees (and supported those corporations who spent those advertising dollars on broadcast television) is shrinking.

Players like Darelle Revis may have been lucky enough to play in what was a golden era of NFL football salaries. I personally do not think that we are experiencing a temporary hiccup to skyrocketing salaries.
    Maybe people are seeing that it's the QB's that win championships and not CB's.. The QB pay hasn't taken a hit has it??

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Maybe people are seeing that it's the QB's that win championships and not CB's.. The QB pay hasn't taken a hit has it??
    Teams win championships!!!
    Kurt Warner has lit it up in every superbowl he was in. the only ring he got was won on a defensive play, contrary to ones he lost.

It's the ultimate team game point blank.

Hall Of Fame
    Things will go back to the way they were. QBs, LTs, and pass rushers. People think CBs are valuable b.c there is more passing but they overlook that the rules simply do not allow you to play pass defense. You are better off with a couple of pass rushers and a couple of ball hawks.

Revis might be the exception so that is what makes it interesting. He was the only one really "worth" the money he was getting. But now there is the ACL, him being a chronic malcontent with his contracts and the rest of the team that needs to be fixed.

Veteran
    The collusion that players and agents are talking about is the fact that teams have gotten together and decided to not pay free agents over a certain number. It Is evident that teams are holding fast to that agreement and most fa's aren't getting the payday that they were on years past.
    That is the way owners can screw the players

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You can have a one-day vacation.

How's the handle on that concept?
    Lol...I was asking if anybody, or anybody they knew, gets a guaranteed raise if their company's gross revenues go up. I wasn't asking a snarky question, as you assume, as to whether anyone understood the concept.

Jeesh.

Nope

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier Wednesday that the deal is expected to pay Rodgers over $25 million per season.