Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYT: N.F.L. to Install Cameras in Locker Rooms for Stadium Viewing

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

NYT: N.F.L. to Install Cameras in Locker Rooms for Stadium Viewing

N.F.L. to Install Cameras in Locker Rooms for Stadium Viewing

By JUDY BATTISTA

In its quest to keep fans in the stands, and give them a reason not to view games in high definition in their livings rooms, the N.F.L. will put cameras into all home team locker rooms next season.

Then they will encourage the teams to use the video on their stadium scoreboards, to give fans who buy tickets an inside look at what goes on in the teams’ inner sanctums.

The N.F.L. is mandating the cameras, not making them optional, said Eric Grubman, the league’s executive vice president, during the opening panel of the IMG World Congress of Sports. Sports Business Daily first reported Grubman’s announcement from the panel.

Forcing the cameras on teams is probably a good idea, considering that notoriously secretive coaches would probably have strenuously resisted it as a suggestion, even though teams can use the video at their discretion and are unlikely to reveal any significant strategic details.

The league is also mandating that replays of important plays – fumbles, scoring plays, catches on the boundary – be shown in the stadium, even if the replay may not show an outcome that is favorable to the home team.

In many stadiums, replays are withheld if they would help the away team, particularly because coaches have adopted the habit of looking at replays on Jumbotrons before deciding whether to challenge a play.

The push toward more video during the game, though, speaks to the league’s larger concern that the quality of television broadcasts, and the quality of the televisions themselves, may prompt more and more fans to stay home instead of going to games, thereby avoiding high-priced tickets, traffic jams and harsh weather. The video will only be available in the stadium, providing the fans the kind of extras the league believes it must offer to induce fans to attend games.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has for several years talked about the need to fill stadiums, to avoid losing the atmosphere the fans provide.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...adium-viewing/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with this. The players are entitled to 1 minute of privacy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should resurrect the "odorama" film format and really get into the spirit of the locker room

John Waters your country turns its lonely eyes to you.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really a fan of it either

Heard it was just going to happen in the home team locker room ... Then they can decide what to show to the stadium ... Won't be live/immediate ... So they can filter out the F bombs, etc.

Ljr

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still April Fools Day?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's kinda a cool idea. Wouldn't want it if I was a player or coach, but for a fan it's always neat to see behind the scenes stuff. That's why hardknocks is so cool. Speaking of, have they found a team for next season, or are they even looking?

Also, I would think the locker room camera would just be for video and not audio. But who knows.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a nice idea, but who in the stadium is going to be watching this? 75-80% of us, if not more, are standing in line for food, drinks or taking a piss, sometimes the combination of all three. Also, this sucks for the players.

I think the bigger deal is the fact that all big play replays MUST be shown. It's always been hilarious to me that when I'm at MetLife/Giants Stadium that unless it favored us it was never put on the board and whenever I went on a road game the same was done. I think it sucks that the NFL is mandating that.
    Last edited by 124; 04-04-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not going to make more people buy tickets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    +1 I rather see the flight crew's locker room..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about this - lower ticket, food, and drink prices.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What three posters on the Pfail are hoping to be able to see:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Now we're talking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    bingo

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree 100%

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Beats must have dropped a few million on Goodell for this one. Fans will see 53 guys in headphones stretching, sitting in front of their lockers, getting taped and, last, gathering for the prayer before heading out to the locker room.

And that last part is, I think, the only interesting part about the locker room cam - you're in the stadium, getting pumped for the game, and the players coming out always kind of seems like... not quite the feeling you think it should be. I think it might be cool see the players gather for the prayer, knowing it's the last thing they do before coming out, so when they break the prayer, you start to get psyched to see them come out.

As far as privacy goes, I don't think they're going to think about the cameras, I can't imagine it taking away from their focus.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Exactly. Stop trying to "improve" the product so you can charge more or compete with TV.

The stadiums have become libraries with the aristocrats in the lower bowl. They priced the rabid fans out of the building. Lower the prices and the fans will come and bring back homefield advantage. It seems like they are doing everything they can to distract you from the actual game. I know I am not speaking for everyone but I don't give a rat's ass about WiFi access and locker room views. All I want is easy access to food & beverage and a decent bathroom to piss in.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Yay

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Breaking news: The pats are lobbying to have the cameras installed in the visiting locker rooms instead.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 my exact thought.

Showing all replays is a good idea. Locker room cams?.. eh.

If they want to keep season ticket holders, drop the damn mandatory purchase of worthless preseason games. Or at least reduce the preseason to 2 games vs 4.

Keep taking advantage of paying fans with TV broadcasts getting better and eventually it's gonna bite em in the ass.

Oh yeah, and get rid of Tebow NOW!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This rule is very Jerry Sandusky-ish. I don't want to see men changing.