Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Thread: Sal Paolantonio top 5 immediate impact draft prospects

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Personally, I do not see the need for WR this season. I mean after all, WTF is going to throw him the ball. There will also be several more great WR prospects in future years.

    Warmack, on the other hand, If he's as great as Sal says, then I think the Jets should take him at #9 assuming he is there. He'll also likely be the BAP at pick 9.
    Very few WR's have an immediate impact in their rookie season. Very few. Drafting a WR now only serves to strngthen the team long term. Austin would probably develop quicker than Hill, so the hope would be that Hill and Austin both really hit their stride in 2 years, right when we have a new QB most likely. That would be the exact way you develop a young QB, by giving him a couple young talented receivers coming into their prime. By that point Holmes will likely be out of here. Young QB's need young WR's, not older divas who spend their time in the huddle asking for the ball on every play and ***** when they don't get it.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    exactly. We're not going to be an offensive juggernaut with any offensive players in this draft. This draft offensively is weak offensively although I'm sure there are some hidden gems that might star in this league that will shock everyone. Overall we should rebuild the line and defense ... We got a solid D line now cause of Coples and Mo. Mo looks like he's as good as it gets as a 3-4 DE with run stopping and developing a pass rush. Coples actually has more potential IMO. Now you get a LEGIT OLB pass rusher ... build that OL and hope your receivers work out and overachieve. I'm not against drafting a TE ... but in all honestly we made it to 2 AFCC games with a dominant OL and dominant defense. Might as well patch that up now and see if Rex can create any magic with that again. Next year the draft from an offensive perspective is going to be loaded. From Receiver, RB, and QB. A lot of playmakers and we'll likely have a ton of picks. Lets go for offense next year and get playmakers.

    There are no real sure things at receiver this year. I'm not drafting a receiver at top 10 if they aren't Megatron or at least Julio Jones caliber. I'll pass on any QB that isn't a sure thing. We have to draft the best players available .. might as well go where this draft is very strong at ... defense and O line.
    In this draft, I think the Jets need an OLB, S, and CB depth. On offense, they would be smart to grab two guards (one early-ish, one later for development), a TE and a RB, considering this is McKnight's last year. That, or a mid-round WR. The talent at WR, QB, etc just does not seem to be there. I mean, could Geno Smith work out? Possibly, but as a rookie GM, do you want to take the chance with the 9th overall pick?
    This is where Mangini was VERY underrated. Not taking Leinart and going with Ferguson AND Mangold with his two first round picks.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Not a bad trade if that guard becomes an all time great guard.
    Its amazing how people continue to downplay the importance of a great O-Line.
    The "Madden' guys

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Very few WR's have an immediate impact in their rookie season. Very few. Drafting a WR now only serves to strngthen the team long term. Austin would probably develop quicker than Hill, so the hope would be that Hill and Austin both really hit their stride in 2 years, right when we have a new QB most likely. That would be the exact way you develop a young QB, by giving him a couple young talented receivers coming into their prime. By that point Holmes will likely be out of here. Young QB's need young WR's, not older divas who spend their time in the huddle asking for the ball on every play and ***** when they don't get it.
    Well-said. It's not like drafting a WR this year means he won't be on the team next year, and be in a MUCH better position to help whoever it is that's taking snaps in 2014.

    That's why Austin is so appealing. The size is of course a huge concern, but there's a guy that can contribute immediately, and who knows where he would be in years 2 & 3?

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Maybe Bill pulls a funny and moves up in the draft?
    I think they only have 5 picks this year.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    All time great CB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> all time great guard. And we aren't going to pay revis but you think we're going to make warmack the highest paid guard in history when his contract is up?
    What is this based on? Your opinion?

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am not sure how anyone can look at this WR group and not see a need to upgrade it. Just because you dont think you have a QB to throw him the ball, doesnt mean you ignore the position, especially in a year when there will be some very good WRs to be had in the second to fourth rounds.
    You build from the inside out. Our OL sucks right now. Get it?

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You build from the inside out. Our OL sucks right now. Get it?
    You do realize there are 7 rounds in the draft dont you??

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Not a bad trade if that guard becomes an all time great guard.
    Its amazing how people continue to downplay the importance of a great O-Line.
    Who said Oline wasn't important? Guard is the least important position on the oline, which is where you put college tackles that are too short, or do not have the lateral agility to play tackle in the NFL. That is why most of the best guards in the league were drafted 3rd round or later. Drafting the next best thing at guard in the top 10 is a risky proposition at best, and unnecessary to boot.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am not sure how anyone can look at this WR group and not see a need to upgrade it. Just because you dont think you have a QB to throw him the ball, doesnt mean you ignore the position, especially in a year when there will be some very good WRs to be had in the second to fourth rounds.
    You can say the same thing about QB, TE, LG, RG, RT, NT, OLB, ILB, S.
    Thats why you take the BAP with your picks. We need good players at every position. No need to reach.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    All time great CB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> all time great guard. And we aren't going to pay revis but you think we're going to make warmack the highest paid guard in history when his contract is up?
    That is true. It's also true however that All time great QB, pass rusher, LT, MLB, HB, WR, TE>All time CB

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You can say the same thing about QB, TE, LG, RG, RT, NT, OLB, ILB, S.
    Thats why you take the BAP with your picks. We need good players at every position. No need to reach.
    Who said you have to reach??? I said there are going to be some good prospects in the second to fourth rounds, how is that reaching?

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Who said Oline wasn't important? Guard is the least important position on the oline, which is where you put college tackles that are too short, or do not have the lateral agility to play tackle in the NFL. That is why most of the best guards in the league were drafted 3rd round or later. Drafting the next best thing at guard in the top 10 is a risky proposition at best, and unnecessary to boot.
    Any draft pick is a risky proposition. But when your entire team is devoid of talent at just about every position, you take the best player with the lowest risk regardless if he plays Guard.

    I guarantee you upgrading the Offensive line will do much more for this offense than upgrading the receiving corp.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Who said you have to reach??? I said there are going to be some good prospects in the second to fourth rounds, how is that reaching?
    Taking one of the receivers or QBs in this draft at #9 is a reach.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You can say the same thing about QB, TE, LG, RG, RT, NT, OLB, ILB, S.
    Thats why you take the BAP with your picks. We need good players at every position. No need to reach.
    Positions have their importance. You absolutely do not need good players at every position. In fact in the salary cap age that is an impossibility.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Taking one of the receivers or QBs in this draft at #9 is a reach.
    Seriously, do read before you post?? Where did I say you have to take a WR at 9??

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Any draft pick is a risky proposition. But when your entire team is devoid of talent at just about every position, you take the best player with the lowest risk regardless if he plays Guard.

    I guarantee you upgrading the Offensive line will do much more for this offense than upgrading the receiving corp.
    Who says you cant do both in the same draft?? Some of you guys act like it is all or nothing when it comes to the draft....LOL.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Any draft pick is a risky proposition. But when your entire team is devoid of talent at just about every position, you take the best player with the lowest risk regardless if he plays Guard.

    I guarantee you upgrading the Offensive line will do much more for this offense than upgrading the receiving corp.
    Last year teams blitzed and stunted us almost every play because we had no TE, or RB that could pick up the blitz, and a QB that could not shift protection. Anything outside of Mangold's field of vision was a problem for us, and Sanchez held the ball way too long. The line is good. It's the OC, and the QB that were the real problem.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Who says you cant do both in the same draft?? Some of you guys act like it is all or nothing when it comes to the draft....LOL.
    Yes there will be some very good prospects for Guard in rounds 2-4, and some tackles that can be converted later still. This is a deep Oline draft.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have many needs, BPA for that 1st round pick. I could care less if we picked a guy in an area in which we already have perceived strength because things change in this league so fast that no one cares that we picked a DT in the 1st round three years from now if the guy is a pro bowler, Rex is gone and we are now a 3-4 team. Pick the best players and have the coaches coach according to who we have.

    Picking Warmack or Cooper at 9 would not be the end of the world but it would depend on who else is on board at the time. If those are our best options I'd love to see us try our best to trade down.

    I also do not think the oline was near the disaster that some people make it out to be. We had the worst Qb in the league and a mediocre to jag running back. The fact that we seem to have let both guards go and have only signed one guy as a replacement may be telling however.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us