Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: RT Clabo has been released!

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,653
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    nice work, then you can subtract 1mill for in season signings and 350,000 for the practice squad
    There is $816,000 accounted for the practice squad for the entire year.

  2. #42
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,381
    He will be 32, the OL has been the Falcons weakness.

  3. #43
    Sign him and move Howard inside to RG.

    LT: Brick
    LG: Colon
    C: Mangold
    RG: Howard
    RT: Clabo


    Dominant OL.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There is $816,000 accounted for the practice squad for the entire year.
    Boy, if I could only read!

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Sign him and move Howard inside to RG.

    LT: Brick
    LG: Colon
    C: Mangold
    RG: Howard
    RT: Clabo


    Dominant OL.
    Not bad

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Sign him and move Howard inside to RG.

    LT: Brick
    LG: Colon
    C: Mangold
    RG: Howard
    RT: Clabo


    Dominant OL.
    How do you figure that is a dominant oline? DBrick had a comeback season but Mangold has now regressed for 2 straight years. I like Mangold and he is my favorite jet player, but him being listed at 307 is like Wilfork being listed at 325. Colon when he was healthy played much better at tackle than he did the one year that he played 10 games at guard. Clabo is an average RT, certainly not in the league as Smith and Winston the other FA RTs. Howard played well for a first year starter at rt but now you want to move him to a position that he never played before.

    That oline will be an improvement over last year if Colon can stay on the field
    and Howard can play inside. But to call that line dominant by any means is a stretch

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There is a little more to it than that.

    Start: $13 million- Reported cap room for the Jets
    Less: $4 million- Loss of cap space in a trade of Revis due to acceleration of bonuses paid
    Less: $480,000- Replacement of Revis on roster by 52nd highest cap player
    Less: $5.6 million- Estimated Year One Rookie Pool Allocation for Jets 7 draft picks
    Add: $1.92 million- Rookie displacement of players 48-51 in the current salary cap ($480,000 x 4)
    Add: $1.215 million- Removing the base salaries from the rookie pool for players who do not displace a current top 51 contract ($405,000 x 3)
    Less: $960,000- For players 52 and 53 who will now count against the cap once the season begins
    Less: $816,000- Maintaining an 8 player Practice Squad for the season (8 x 17 x $6,000)
    Finish: $4.279 million- This is the Jets effective cap space for the season.
    WOW!!! Nice work. Tanny really f()cked this team up, cap wise. It's going to take at least 2 seasons to fix the cap, then the rebuild can begin.
    Last edited by srobjets; 04-05-2013 at 09:13 AM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    WOW!!! Nice work. Tanny really f()cked this team up, cap wise. It's going to take at least 2 seasons to fix the cap, then the rebuild can begin.
    No, this season should do it as long as they stay the course and take their lumps this year and not touch Harris or Sanchez contracts. You can look at this past season as an attempt to fix the cap with the exception of the sanchez debacle.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How do you figure that is a dominant oline? DBrick had a comeback season but Mangold has now regressed for 2 straight years.
    If the "skill" players playing behind you are Sanchez/Greene/SChillens/Gates, it would make Mike Webster look average.

  10. #50
    Depending on the Jets cap situation for next year, you can always push the majority of his money to then, and pay him a bit less this year. Thats what the dolphins did with alot of their signings. You want to be careful with that, in case he really bombs. But if you have the cap room it's not too risky to push it back 1 year. It's when you push it back 3 or 4 years that you really get stuck with a player and it can burn you. Also, you don't want to do it with ageing players or players on the decline, but a 32 year old offensive tackle isn't that old, and I don't think he's had many or any injuries recently. You also have to trust the coaching staff and talent evalulators that he's going to be a good player in his 2nd and possibly 3rd year (I doubt he would get more than a 3 year contract).

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    9,347
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    Depending on the Jets cap situation for next year, you can always push the majority of his money to then, and pay him a bit less this year. Thats what the dolphins did with alot of their signings. You want to be careful with that, in case he really bombs. But if you have the cap room it's not too risky to push it back 1 year. It's when you push it back 3 or 4 years that you really get stuck with a player and it can burn you. Also, you don't want to do it with ageing players or players on the decline, but a 32 year old offensive tackle isn't that old, and I don't think he's had many or any injuries recently. You also have to trust the coaching staff and talent evalulators that he's going to be a good player in his 2nd and possibly 3rd year (I doubt he would get more than a 3 year contract).
    "I see no problem with pushing it back"

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    If the "skill" players playing behind you are Sanchez/Greene/SChillens/Gates, it would make Mike Webster look average.
    No, I am talking about his ability to get to the lb. He still handles the nose better than 9/10 centers. He just does not pull or reach the LB as well as he once did. It has nothing to do with the skill players behind him, what has effected him was needing to help the guard more than in the past, a lot different than having a younger moore and Faneca on the sides of him.

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,653
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    WOW!!! Nice work. Tanny really f()cked this team up, cap wise. It's going to take at least 2 seasons to fix the cap, then the rebuild can begin.
    THIS season is going to be the year the Jets will have to take their medicine. Next year, the Jets could have 30 million in cap space, 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft, and a new HC. Things get significantly better in 2014.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    "I see no problem with pushing it back"
    Again, it depends on cap space, the players position, age, skill, injury history, ect. But for a 32 year old offensive tackle, who probably wont get more than 6 or 7 million over 2 years, with maybe half of that gauranteed, paying 4 of the 6 or 7 million in year 2 isn't a big deal if you trust he's going to be a good player and you have the cap space. What you don't want to do, which tannenbaum did, is dish out huge contracts with big gaurantees later in the contract. Especially with ageing or unproven players. For this particular player I don't think it would be much of a risk. Each scenerio is different obviously.

    However, considering the mess Tannenbaum left, it may not be the smartest thing to do just based on public perception. But for a solid RT that isn't going to be paid a whole lot and is going to be on a 2 or 3 year deal, I don't think it's a big deal. I'm just saying, if they really wanted the player, and trusted that he would be good in year 2, it's an option with lower risk.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    9,347
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    Again, it depends on cap space, the players position, age, skill, injury history, ect. But for a 32 year old offensive tackle, who probably wont get more than 6 or 7 million over 2 years, with maybe half of that gauranteed, paying 4 of the 6 or 7 million in year 2 isn't a big deal if you trust he's going to be a good player and you have the cap space. What you don't want to do, which tannenbaum did, is dish out huge contracts with big gaurantees later in the contract. Especially with ageing or unproven players. For this particular player I don't think it would be much of a risk. Each scenerio is different obviously.

    However, considering the mess Tannenbaum left, it may not be the smartest thing to do just based on public perception. But for a solid RT that isn't going to be paid a whole lot and is going to be on a 2 or 3 year deal, I don't think it's a big deal. I'm just saying, if they really wanted the player, and trusted that he would be good in year 2, it's an option with lower risk.
    I was just joshing with ya.

    Of course i think Clabo has a lot left in the tank, and im not so much against him as a player but i dont feel like the Jets are going to compete in the post season this year. Sadly, i dont think the Jets will even make the post season this year.

    If they were close, id be more inclined to have an all pro veteran line.

    I just think they need some youth up there.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,144
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Sign him and move Howard inside to RG.

    LT: Brick
    LG: Colon
    C: Mangold
    RG: Howard
    RT: Clabo


    Dominant OL.
    Colon can't stay healthy to save his life and Howard has never played guard.

    I don't see how that's a dominant OL.

    Both guard spots would be total question marks.

    I still say take Warmack/Cooper at #9. The only passrusher that I'm really comfortable with in the 1st round is Jordan and I can't see Jacksonville, Philly, and Cleveland all passing him over.

    Mingo is built like a safety and can't shed a block to save his life, Jones has the spinal stenosis condition and sh*t the bed at his pro day, Ansah is a total boom or bust prospect in addition to strictly being a 4-3 DE, and Moore may fall completely out of the 1st round.

    I'd rather gamble on someone like Tank Carradine in the 2nd round than someone like Mingo or Ansah at #9.

    Warmack and Cooper can start from day 1 at a position of need and both are safe picks that possess all-pro potential.

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Colon can't stay healthy to save his life and Howard has never played guard.

    I don't see how that's a dominant OL.

    Both guard spots would be total question marks.

    I still say take Warmack/Cooper at #9. The only passrusher that I'm really comfortable with in the 1st round is Jordan and I can't see Jacksonville, Philly, and Cleveland all passing him over.

    Mingo is built like a safety and can't shed a block to save his life, Jones has the spinal stenosis condition and sh*t the bed at his pro day, Ansah is a total boom or bust prospect in addition to strictly being a 4-3 DE, and Moore may fall completely out of the 1st round.

    I'd rather gamble on someone like Tank Carradine in the 2nd round than someone like Mingo or Ansah at #9.

    Warmack and Cooper can start from day 1 at a position of need and both are safe picks that possess all-pro potential.
    Thank you.

  18. #58
    We have a good young RT who has the potential to get better and won't cost anything like what Clabo will.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Damn that salary cap! What are they supposed to do to get out of or around the hole Tanny has left the team in?
    Stick it out while Idzik rights our ship!

  20. #60
    RT is definitely a position of need, but the way Idzik has moved in the offseason I don't expect him to sign Clabo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us