Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Sen. Rand Paul: America will get better ‘through a spiritual cleansing’

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sen. Rand Paul: America will get better ‘through a spiritual cleansing’

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...0a4_story.html



    Is this Senator Paul throwing his hat in the ring for the 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination?


    QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I think it’s important that people know that for the country to get better it needs more than just politicians. Politicians aren’t enough and it needs resurgence through churches, through revivals through a spiritual cleansing of the people.”

    -Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul (R) on the future of America and faith in in a Christian Broadcasting Network interview.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's right. I am not even a religious person (raised RC but haven't been to church in 6 years) but even I can see that this country has run in the opposite direction of faith of any kind. But whenever a tragedy happens everyone runs back towards faith. Seems a bit hypocritical.

    God is good.

    I am not talking about eliminating the separation of church and state from gov't, nor is Paul. But on a personal level I think it is better for society for people to have some sort of faith. Infinitely more good has been done in the name of religion than bad. No matter what the atheists try to tell you.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He's right. I am not even a religious person (raised RC but haven't been to church in 6 years) but even I can see that this country has run in the opposite direction of faith of any kind. But whenever a tragedy happens everyone runs back towards faith. Seems a bit hypocritical.

    God is good.

    I am not talking about eliminating the separation of church and state from gov't, nor is Paul. But on a personal level I think it is better for society for people to have some sort of faith. Infinitely more good has been done in the name of religion than bad. No matter what the atheists try to tell you.
    Wars based purely on religious issues constitute a relatively small percentage of the total... about 10% historically by most analyses. Wars caused by broader cultural hostilities range much higher, along with tensions over territory. The confusion lies in what defines culture, as religious belief is deeply entwined with overall cultural patterns. How many wars have been perpetrated by religiously affiliated leaders vs. atheists? Probably the majority. Religion has been rarely helpful in restraining the impulse to engage war as a furtherance of policy. Unfortunately, religion can be fairly easily exploited to justify pretty much anything, from slavery, to abuse, to exploitation, to repression, etc. It's how one practices their religion that really matters. Religion itself implies no one dimensional set of behaviors.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what constitutes "spiritual cleansing" where Rand represents:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whpHwKlM_8M
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 04-17-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Fear of an a** whooping

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rand Paul is half a nut job.
    Religion is a personal matter. It should have nothing to do with politics and certainly does not belong in schools in any form.
    Swearing on a bible etc is fine.
    We have free expression of our religion - all we need there.
    What we DO need is more emphasis on morality and ethics and social behavior.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a spiritual enema.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    What we DO need is more emphasis on morality and ethics and social behavior.
    The world is just as screwed up now as it was 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

    Sure. People in the 50's were very moral. Except for the fact that they beat their wives and wouldn't let black people drink from the same water fountain as them

    .

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Rand Paul is half a nut job.
    Religion is a personal matter. It should have nothing to do with politics and certainly does not belong in schools in any form.
    Swearing on a bible etc is fine.
    We have free expression of our religion - all we need there.
    What we DO need is more emphasis on morality and ethics and social behavior.
    I get so nervous when I agree with you.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    The world is just as screwed up now as it was 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

    Sure. People in the 50's were very moral. Except for the fact that they beat their wives and wouldn't let black people drink from the same water fountain as them

    .


    Really? I never beat my wife - married 40 years. Nor did my father.
    I drank at water fountains with blacks, orientals, Jews.

    There is a big difference in morality and ethics. The incidence of teen pregnancy and STDs? There wasn't much of either until more recent decades.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I get so nervous when I agree with you.

    Actually on Jets matters we agree a lot.
    Social issues - so so.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,792
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Really? I never beat my wife - married 40 years. Nor did my father.
    I drank at water fountains with blacks, orientals, Jews.

    There is a big difference in morality and ethics. The incidence of teen pregnancy and STDs? There wasn't much of either until more recent decades.
    Teen pregnancy has always been an issue, your parents and grandparents just refused to acknowledge it existed.

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can a spiritual cleansing create jobs?

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Teen pregnancy has always been an issue, your parents and grandparents just refused to acknowledge it existed.
    Sorry, you are wrong. It was minimal. Of course it existed but at much lower rates.
    My experience comes into play here too. I was around during the period of change and old enough to see the transition.

  14. #14
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Sorry, you are wrong. It was minimal. Of course it existed but at much lower rates.
    My experience comes into play here too. I was around during the period of change and old enough to see the transition.
    I think you are bit naive on this one. How would you know? Its not like back then the men were informed of such things.

    I would guess the rate is about the same. It's just now we have TV shows about it instead of girls and their Moms "taking care of it."

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I think you are bit naive on this one. How would you know? Its not like back then the men were informed of such things.

    I would guess the rate is about the same. It's just now we have TV shows about it instead of girls and their Moms "taking care of it."

    Men didn't know about pregnant girls? You're smarter than that.
    There was one pregnant girl in my HS. Student body of 1900. Word does travel on these matters.
    In addition, there were no abortions in the day so if you got pregnant you stayed pregnant.
    Pre marital sex in general is also more prevalent - by a fairly wide margin.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    In addition, there were no abortions in the day so if you got pregnant you stayed pregnant.
    Sorry my friend...the fact that you believe this is telling.

    There were no abortions? I'm stunned if you believe this.

    "In the 1950s, about a million illegal abortions a year were performed in the U.S., and over a thousand women died each year as a result. Women who were victims of botched or unsanitary abortions came in desperation to hospital emergency wards, where some died of widespread abdominal infections. Many women who recovered from such infections found themselves sterile or chronically and painfully ill. The enormous emotional stress often lasted a long time."

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,483
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Sorry my friend...the fact that you believe this is telling.

    There were no abortions? I'm stunned if you believe this.

    "In the 1950s, about a million illegal abortions a year were performed in the U.S., and over a thousand women died each year as a result. Women who were victims of botched or unsanitary abortions came in desperation to hospital emergency wards, where some died of widespread abdominal infections. Many women who recovered from such infections found themselves sterile or chronically and painfully ill. The enormous emotional stress often lasted a long time."
    I find that statistic hard to believe given that legal abortions in the US in 2008 (the last year for which I've seen CDC stats) were about 1.21 million. Given the difference in population figures and the lack of the deterrent effect of the illegality of abortion, plus what would seem to be the difficulty of accurately quantifying the prevelance of a procedure typically and necessarily performed without being reported, it's hard to think the number wouldn't be significantly higher today than in the 50s. This site's database of reported abortions puts the numbers much lower - from a low of 7 in 1950 to a high of 679 in (ironically enough) 1951. The total number of reported abortions in the 1950s, per those statistics, was 3,870. Getting from those numbers to the 10,000,000 abortions the "1M/year in the 1950s" requires would mean there were approximately 2,600 unreported abortions for each reported abortion.

    Bottom line, I'd need to see the scholarship behind that claim before I could take it seriously
    Last edited by doggin94it; 04-16-2013 at 12:27 PM.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Teen pregnancy has always been an issue, your parents and grandparents just refused to acknowledge it existed.
    dude you are seriously demented

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Sorry my friend...the fact that you believe this is telling.

    There were no abortions? I'm stunned if you believe this.

    "In the 1950s, about a million illegal abortions a year were performed in the U.S., and over a thousand women died each year as a result. Women who were victims of botched or unsanitary abortions came in desperation to hospital emergency wards, where some died of widespread abdominal infections. Many women who recovered from such infections found themselves sterile or chronically and painfully ill. The enormous emotional stress often lasted a long time."

    They were illegal. Sherry Finkbein had to go to Sweden to get one thinking her fetus was deformed. She was threatened with prison on her return.
    Now they have mass produced abortion operations. Not against abortion - just saying.
    Your source? Feminist.com I read that article. Inacccurate and self serving. Admittedly, abortions were dangerous but a million? BS.
    Even after Roe they weren't a million. Now about 1.5.
    As for deaths, a published reprt by physicians indicated 750 death in 1945 dropping immediately to 250 by 1950 and remaining there or below until the 60s.
    There are no official CDC stats on abortion prior to th 60s.

  20. #20
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    They were illegal. Sherry Finkbein had to go to Sweden to get one thinking her fetus was deformed. She was threatened with prison on her return.
    Now they have mass produced abortion operations. Not against abortion - just saying.
    Your source? Feminist.com I read that article. Inacccurate and self serving. Admittedly, abortions were dangerous but a million? BS.
    Even after Roe they weren't a million. Now about 1.5.
    As for deaths, a published reprt by physicians indicated 750 death in 1945 dropping immediately to 250 by 1950 and remaining there or below until the 60s.
    There are no official CDC stats on abortion prior to th 60s.
    I don't think the number is whats important. You had stated that there were NO abortions back then, which I think is way off. There were plenty.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us