Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 82.76%
  • No

10 17.24%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dion Jordan: Yay or Nay?

I think his height and ability to cover TE's make him a very intriguing strong side OLB prospect. Especially for a team who needs to beat NE

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Nay. Not enough pass rush production or tackles for loss production. I hope to heck some team takes him before the 9th pick.
    I get the lack of production thing, BUT I think he can do a lot of things on defense. Rex loves guys who can do multiple things on defense. If the Jets draft Jordan, they may not be thinking we are drafting the BEST pass rusher, but rather a versatile elite athlete they can use all over the field.

Jordan with his height can disrupt passing lanes and can run down RBs on screens. He may not become a 14 sack guy, but his I think his bust potential is very low. His floor is probably the highest of all the potential OLBs in this draft, and if he reaches the 10 sack level in the NFL combined with the other things he brings to the defense, he will be a solid first round selection.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I get the lack of production thing, BUT I think he can do a lot of things on defense. Rex loves guys who can do multiple things on defense. If the Jets draft Jordan, they may not be thinking we are drafting the BEST pass rusher, but rather a versatile elite athlete they can use all over the field.

Jordan with his height can disrupt passing lanes and can run down RBs on screens. He may not become a 14 sack guy, but his I think his bust potential is very low. His floor is probably the highest of all the potential OLBs in this draft, and if he reaches the 10 sack level in the NFL combined with the other things he brings to the defense, he will be a solid first round selection.
    Thus we get Calvin Pace version 2.0 in an era where slot Wr's, Rb's and TE's eat up coverage lbs for lunch. If you are dropping your guy into coverage you are hoping like heck the other team doesn't go after him. One of the things that has prevented the Jets defense from being fantastic rather than real good over the last number of years is we have no player that the other team actually fears re pass rush. No guy that the other team must keep a TE in or a RB from going out in the pattern because our player will kill their QB otherwise.

All League
    Don't know if Calvin Pace could cover slot WR's like Jordan did in college

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Don't know if Calvin Pace could cover slot WR's like Jordan did in college
    I'm not drafting an OLB at #9 based on his ability to periodically cover a slot WR, a position that is marginally talented in the NFL.

C'mon.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Thus we get Calvin Pace version 2.0 in an era where slot Wr's, Rb's and TE's eat up coverage lbs for lunch. If you are dropping your guy into coverage you are hoping like heck the other team doesn't go after him. One of the things that has prevented the Jets defense from being fantastic rather than real good over the last number of years is we have no player that the other team actually fears re pass rush. No guy that the other team must keep a TE in or a RB from going out in the pattern because our player will kill their QB otherwise.
    First, Jordan is not Calvin Pace. He is FAR more athletic than Pace ever was. My point was more that Jordan's versatility is something that I think Rex likes. I have no visions of having Jordan cover TEs down the field, no 3-4 OLBs really do that effectively. His ability to play in space is more useful in covering RB screens. getting in passing lanes and in zone blitzing schemes.

As far as the elite pass rusher coming out of college that will scare opposing offenses, how many of those guys really exist? They are almost like the elite 100% clean no brainer QBs, they just dont come around very often. Its nice to say that the Jets need to draft that guy, but you can not draft what isnt there.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm not drafting an OLB at #9 based on his ability to periodically cover a slot WR, a position that is marginally talented in the NFL.

C'mon.
    That wasn't really the point, its the difference in athletic ability between him and Pace.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post

As far as the elite pass rusher coming out of college that will scare opposing offenses, how many of those guys really exist? They are almost like the elite 100% clean no brainer QBs,
    There's one right now...

DPRs in the draft are always going to be about a leap of faith (much like QBs not named Luck). It's always a discussion about "it was their scheme" or "don't think they're play will translate".

Jarvis Jones was an elite PR'er in college. There's no arguing that... yet here are saying "it's impossible to find one". I'm not saying he's without cause for concern, but anyone arguing that Jordan is a better PR'ing option than Jones is flat out wrong. You just feel he's a safer PR'er
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.

C'mon.
    No... You put him on the strong side and he could either cover the TE, RB, or rush the passer. He's like a Swiss Army knife OLB. Put the big time pass rusher on the other side and that's a very dynamic front 7

Hall Of Fame
    There's one right now...

DPRs in the draft are always going to be about a leap of faith (much like QBs not named Luck). It's always a discussion about "it was their scheme" or "don't think they're play will translate".

Jarvis Jones was an elite PR'er in college. There's no arguing that... yet here are saying "it's impossible to find one". I'm not saying he's with cause for concern, but anyone arguing that Jordan is a better PR'ing option than Jones is flat out wrong. You just feel he's a safer PR'er
    I agree, I am just using the rational that Rex loves guys who are versatile, and I dont think the Jets are looking at drafting just a designated pass rusher at 9, they want a more complete player. I think Jordan gives them that. He has unique size and speed that this defense has not had for a while.

All Pro
    Seems that once someone decides they like or don't like a player, it's not negotiable. I think he would be a great pick at #9. He's a Turbo-Mingo, which isn't too shabby. Ansah is raw and Jones may have a ceiling. Anyway, OLB here is preferable to OG, given what the later rounds offer on the line.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    No... You put him on the strong side and he could either cover the TE, RB, or rush the passer. He's like a Swiss Army knife OLB. Put the big time pass rusher on the other side and that's a very dynamic front 7
    See now that I understand. You're talking about him adopting a bryan thomas kind of role... and to me personally, i feel that's a role more easily filled in another round of drafting. If we take an OLB at 9 - i don't want a jack of all trades master of none... I want a cop-killer.

All League
    Jordan might not be polished in that department right now, but he has the highest ceiling of all the pass rushers in this years draft. People forget that a guy like Demarcus Ware, one of the best pass rushers in NFL history only had 6 sacks his senior season at Troy or Clay Matthews had 4.5 sacks his senior year at USC.

See now that I understand. You're talking about him adopting a bryan thomas kind of role... and to me personally, i feel that's a role more easily filled in another round of drafting. If we take an OLB at 9 - i don't want a jack of all trades master of none... I want a cop-killer.
    I don't know if I'd compare him to BT... When was BT ever able to cover a TE in space? Plus Jordan has shown that he has pass rush ability, it's just that a player with his unique abilities allows a team to use him in a variety of ways. He'd be perfect for Rex's scheme. He's not the straight up pass rusher we've been looking for but he'd be an awfully nice player to pair up with that guy

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Jordan might not be polished in that department right now, but he has the highest ceiling of all the pass rushers in this years draft. People forget that a guy like Demarcus Ware, one of the best pass rushers in NFL history only had 6 sacks his senior season at Troy or Clay Matthews had 4.5 sacks his senior year at USC.
    his production is one dimension of concern. One which (as you've pointed out) isn't the end all be all of NFL projection...

So what about his weight/health? Don't try write it off as no biggie, that's a real concern... If he can't put that weight on, he's going to be serially hurt.

Hall Of Fame
    his production is one dimension of concern. One which (as you've pointed out) isn't the end all be all of NFL projection...

So what about his weight/health? Don't try write it off as no biggie, that's a real concern... If he can't put that weight on, he's going to be serially hurt.
    If he didnt have the labrum issue he probably would have added 10-15 pounds, I dont see the labrum being a serious issue, Milliner just had one as well and no one seems too concerned over it.

All Pro
    I read he dropped down to 225 last season. Labrum or not, that's eye opening. Like maybin style.

i like jordan but doubt he'll be there at 9. and i think the jets are going offense anyway, unless they trade for tampa's pick in which case they will go at least 1 and 1. but i believe they will take either a guard or a wr at 9, right or wrong. people like to point to the risk of guys like patterson but guys like mingo and dion carry the same risk.

Hall Of Fame
    I read he dropped down to 225 last season. Labrum or not, that's eye opening. Like maybin style.
    He didnt really drop to 225, thats pretty much what his weight was, 225-230. He was up to 248 at one point before the combine and says his NFL playing weight will be 250.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i like jordan but doubt he'll be there at 9. and i think the jets are going offense anyway, unless they trade for tampa's pick in which case they will go at least 1 and 1. but i believe they will take either a guard or a wr at 9, right or wrong. people like to point to the risk of guys like patterson but guys like mingo and dion carry the same risk.
    All the more reason to trade up for Floyd!